Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Brownell really the best we can do? Is there anybody
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Is Brownell really the best we can do? Is there anybody

Dec 22, 2019, 5:21 PM

here who honestly thinks Clemson basketball would be better off keeping Brownell and leaving things just as they are, as opposed to at least trying to find somebody that could give us a glimmer of hope?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

At least get someone with some personality.

Dec 22, 2019, 5:22 PM

Doesn’t help that we have a whale as an assistant coach. Embarrassing. Who’s he gonna recruit?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have no problem with Brownell personally. My problem

Dec 22, 2019, 5:28 PM

is with his record at Clemson and the results he has failed to produce. The very definition of sustained, consistent mediocrity. It is indisputable, and for anyone to suggest otherwise is comical.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I have no problem with Brownell personally. My problem

Dec 22, 2019, 6:09 PM

We may have been mediocre a couple times in the last 10 years. This is bottom of the barrel.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At least get someone with some personality.

Dec 22, 2019, 7:57 PM [ in reply to At least get someone with some personality. ]

And would love to know what the big guys role is. He has little interaction with anyone during timeouts. While CBB just continues to yell "move, move" all game. Is this point not gotten across during practice. I see no other coach with this demeanor. I agree recruits see all of this.

Hey Fatty. You're Fat!***

Dec 23, 2019, 5:02 PM [ in reply to At least get someone with some personality. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look at this way. He makes $3 million a season...

Dec 22, 2019, 5:23 PM

We could let him go and hire a lot better coach at about $1.5 to $2 million a year. So you still want to spend all that and keep him???

Re: Is Brownell really the best we can do? Is there anybody

Dec 22, 2019, 5:24 PM

Supposedly it is our fan's fault.

How can the fans be expected to be enthusiastic and

Dec 22, 2019, 5:31 PM

dedicated year after year when the Admin and AD have totally, 100% thrown in the towel on Clemson basketball and allowed it to sink to this level?

- H. L. Mencken

Re: How can the fans be expected to be enthusiastic and

Dec 22, 2019, 5:33 PM

If our fans were better CBB would have us top 10 every year.

LOL! I know, that's it!***

Dec 22, 2019, 5:38 PM

- H. L. Mencken

You’re right, the fan atmosphere has nothing to do with recruiting or home field advantage.

Dec 25, 2019, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Is Brownell really the best we can do? Is there anybody ]

How do you think our football team would have done throughout the years with the lukewarm fairweather fan support we have had in basketball?

Please keep that in mind the next time you or someone else brags about what great football fans we have and what a tough environment Death Valley is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: You’re right, the fan atmosphere has nothing to do with recruiting or home field advantage.

Dec 25, 2019, 7:45 PM

Strawman argument as usual. Support for football absolutely decreases when the program is less successful and football and basketball have different economies of scale. Fans and students feverishly supported Barnes when be started his tenure with what was called the worst team in ACC history and only went 5-11 in ACC play. Fan engagement is part of the job. Brownell is absolutely terrible at it. What exactly do you think Brownell gets paid for since he isn’t actually responsible for any aspect of the program in your mind?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

i have generally been a stay the course guy

Dec 22, 2019, 5:25 PM

But, I don’t see anything or any reason to not make a move.
Not much talent.
Not much of a “system”.
Not make the tourney with any frequency or at all.
No hope in sight.
No fans at game.

And worst of all

Is boring to watch and even being a die- hard Clemson fan - I am watching - a last man standing show at the same time.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2019, 5:26 PM

Could it be any worse......Enough is Enough.........Go Tigers!!!!

I can only think of one guy who thinks he should stay...

Dec 22, 2019, 5:27 PM

and that guy doesn’t even come around to defend that argument anymore. Pretty clear that it’s not working and never will.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2019, 6:11 PM

Who can we get that’s better?

I have no idea, but I guarantee there are better

Dec 22, 2019, 6:25 PM

alternatives. We should have gone after Wofford's coach at the end of last season, but no, Brownell was our guy. At VT, Young, starting in April, has built a team from scratch that is now 9-3. I'm sure there are a lot of guys out there capable of leading us in a new direction and building a real basketball program here.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: I have no idea, but I guarantee there are better

Dec 22, 2019, 6:32 PM

There are no excuses. I love Brownell bc he's a Clemson man and loves Clemson. Problem is his philosophy on offense. His defenses are good enough to beat the best, but he can't recruit offensive minded players who have confidence. Plus they look confused out there alot of times. Nobody attacks the boards on offense. I've noticed that. Where's the aggressive McDaniels flying in for a outback or blossomgame put back. It's a scheme. He sends everyone back in fear of giving up a point which is usually given up anyway. I'm sick of it. It's boring to watch. The only time we win is banked on the other team shooting worse than 40 percent

Dec 22, 2019, 6:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Is Brownell really the best we can do? Is there anybody ]

thad matta former ohio state coach or Gregg marshall Wichita state coach

I don’t like that question

Dec 22, 2019, 6:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Is Brownell really the best we can do? Is there anybody ]

Certainly you can’t be saying that nobody would do better here than Brownell? Are there coaches that would do worse? Of course, but isn’t it worth the risk after 10 years ?

I don’t like that question

Dec 22, 2019, 6:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Is Brownell really the best we can do? Is there anybody ]

Certainly you can’t be saying that nobody would do better here than Brownell? Are there coaches that would do worse? Of course, but isn’t it worth the risk after 10 years ?

Dec 22, 2019, 6:46 PM

If t weren’t for transfers, think how bad we’d be? He can’t coach offense and fans will not watch a mediocre defensive-minded team.

Dec 22, 2019, 6:48 PM

No doubt. He doesn’t seem to even value time spent to develop offensive threats. Any game the other team breaks 40% is a loss. Imagine having to watch that in person for 15 games. Bleechh.

Dec 22, 2019, 6:50 PM

Id take Purnell over this joke of a coach!

Dec 22, 2019, 6:53 PM

I'd take Dawn Staley or Muffy McGraw to be the mens coach over this.

Dec 22, 2019, 7:12 PM

Brownell can’t coach offense. Furman coach would be a upgrade.

Dec 22, 2019, 7:14 PM

We losing 20+ games this year .
It a #### shame they kept CBB after 5 years much less 10.
It was pretty clear 5 years ago what we had and yet it’s a dumpster fire now .

Dec 22, 2019, 7:51 PM

Well, Roy may be available after this year! :0

ST

If he is then we should just shutter the doors.***

Dec 22, 2019, 8:55 PM

No, he's not. Good man, and I think a good coach

Dec 22, 2019, 9:32 PM

But as I've been saying several years now, he's run his course. Just like Foster, just like Cliff.

Unless we're just extremely fortunate and find the perfect guy, young guy who simply wants to be at Clemson, we have to think differently.

Hard as it is for me to say, I think we need to go the route the coots took in football. Hire a veteran with a few miles left on the tires. Motta would be my first call. Pay him whatever it takes. If he has no desire to get back in coaching, look to guys like who have been someplace a while and may be looking to move on. Beilein if a year losing in the NBA is enough for him. Amaker at Harvard. McDermott at Creighton.

A young guy who comes here and succeeds, let's face it, we're a stepping stone, unless he's that special guy. A Barnes who would stay. Get a guy who can finally build us a solid foundation, then have a plan of succession in place. Like Michigan St. went from Heathcoat to Izzo.

Dec 22, 2019, 9:41 PM

Time to move on. Last year was such a disappointment with the team that returned. That to me was the final proof he is not the guy we need. This crap year will solidify it. Time for D Rad to start working the channels. We need to capitalize on the investment we made to LJ right now. If we wait just a few more years our facilities will probably be back in the bottom of the barrel category.

Yes, he's the best we can do

Dec 23, 2019, 8:43 PM

We don't have the facilities and tradition to do better.

:)

Dec 25, 2019, 10:33 PM

It depends. Are we willing to spend money on a top coach or just roll the dice on another average candidate?

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic