Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Alabama still outraged about the 40 points we scored...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 3,439

Is Alabama still outraged about the 40 points we scored...

Feb 8, 2017, 5:09 PM

on them last year, or are the more upset about the 35 we scored on them this year?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is Alabama still outraged about the 40 points we scored...

Feb 8, 2017, 5:12 PM

According to saban the defense lost both games, but I imagine giving up biggest play in championship history will top the list of epic fails

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2017, 9:50 AM

According to Bama fans, their offense lost the game for them by tiring out the defense. Somehow their offense scoring 31 points caused their defense to give up 500+ yards.

They'll do anything to not have to admit that their defense wasn't unbeatable.

The inability of their offense to possess the ball and

Feb 9, 2017, 9:52 AM

make first downs allowed us to eventually exploit the weakness of their defense.

Re: The inability of their offense to possess the ball and

Feb 9, 2017, 1:35 PM

I get that, but if we were consistently going 3-and-out on our opportunities like the Greatest of All Time defense should have done, it wouldn't have worked.

Feb 8, 2017, 5:50 PM

I would think the 35 we put on them this year since we won the National Championship !

Feb 8, 2017, 7:57 PM

Even though we are the national champions, we have not received the credit from the experts that should be our due. Before the game, the experts were saying that Alabama had assembled the best college defense since Columbus left Italy in search of Clemson. I've not seen or heard one word about that defense since the championship game. If they retracted their earlier assessment, it hasn't hit the airwaves or newsstands.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL ... I like your style.***

Feb 8, 2017, 8:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

yep, Columbus left Itay to find Clemson !

Feb 8, 2017, 10:08 PM

Ha...How'd that work out?!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I posted an extensive analysis a while back...

Feb 9, 2017, 1:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Is Alabama still outraged about the 40 points we scored... ]

of historical D's to expose ESPN's hack hyping of Bama. Long story short, to be a historically epic D you need to hold opponents to roughly <7 points a game for the whole season. H ell, some teams have held opponents scoreless ALL SEASON. Bama was just nowhere close @ about 12 points per game. Plus, you need to win by about +40 points per game on average to be considered "all-time". Bama mustered about +27. They were a very good team to be sure, but there have been a dozen or more I could name in our lifetime that had better stats AND who went undefeated, which of course Bama also failed to do.

In just the last few years the 2013 FSU, 2005 Texas, and 2001 Miami teams were far better statistically. Just lazy reporting by the ESPN spin machine. The gold standard is the 9-0 1944 Army team, with a 56-4 average win - OUCH! And that wasn't against just patsies either. They cruised over #2 Navy 23-7 and demolished #5 Notre Dame 59-0 that year.

That team was lead by future Heisman winner Doc Blanchard, from Lil ole' McColl and later Bishopville, SC. As Notre Dame coach Edward McKeever said, "I've just seen Superman in the flesh. He wears number 35 and goes by the name of Blanchard."

Re: Yeah, I posted an extensive analysis a while back...

Feb 9, 2017, 6:29 AM

Plus, tell me how many offenses that played that had a pulse.

Sorry, but that's a flawed analysis. Teams run a lot more

Feb 9, 2017, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Yeah, I posted an extensive analysis a while back... ]

plays and score more points than they did in years past so using PPG allowed as a measuring stick for defenses across different eras of football is a poor comparison.

To even attempt to compare defenses across eras you would have to use an advanced metric that adjusts for opponent offenses.

Re: Yeah, I posted an extensive analysis a while back...

Feb 9, 2017, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Yeah, I posted an extensive analysis a while back... ]

Good analysis. I do think the spread offenses that are prevalent throughout college football today makes it much more difficult to be a dominant defense that even compares to what the 1944 Army team did. I think the number of defensive tds led to a lot of the hype this year (and the fact that they are in the SEC).

It's tough to really compare teams from year to year, even the more recent teams like FSU, UT, and UM. Opponents are different, SEC was really down this year which made Bama look better. Also, margin of victory doesn't really say much about a defense. It makes it even more difficult to be a dominant defense if your offense doesn't put up many points.

I think it's crazy to say that Bama wasn't ONE of the best defenses ever... Say top 10-20 all time. But #1? That's a pretty loaded statement with plenty of room for argument.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2017, 6:11 AM

;)

Replies: 13
| visibility 3,439
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic