Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am shocked at the size of recruits today...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 5,594

I am shocked at the size of recruits today...

Jan 27, 2020, 11:34 PM

If you just look at the recruit team rankings and it looks more like a bball roster of you just look at the heights. Look at 2021 rankings and you see 6'4, 6'5, 6'6, etc, etc. I think Clemson's shortest for 2021 is 6'1 currently and some of these kids will grow another 1-2". But then look at weights and they are mind-blowing. I bet my varsity team had one 6'4, 280lb guy rest of OL was in the 240 range in the late 80s, early 90s. Now HS teams avg 300+ on the OL.

I am just amazed. What happens in another 25yrs. Kids will be 400 and 6'8-6'9. I remember Clemson had one of the first 280lbs avg OL in college football under Ford. Then they knocked on being one of the first 300lb OLs. Now we are problem 320+ but 2"-3" taller, less fat % and more athletic. And its going up continuously.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am shocked at the size of recruits today...

Jan 27, 2020, 11:49 PM

I had a physician tell me he believes its the growth hormones they put in the animals we consume. Even the girls are developing more rapidly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2020, 12:02 AM

In this country, I read the main reason girls are (on average) developing faster than before is the obesity epidemic.

Jan 28, 2020, 12:41 AM

Fast-growth chickens. Fortune points out today's chickens grown for meat go to market in 48 days at 6.2 pounds compared to 112 days and 2.5 pounds in 1925.

After 10,000 years of domesticated chickens, them chickens are “in the zone” over the last 100 years. Same deal with cows. Same deal with milk.

Growth hormones are illegal in chickens

Jan 28, 2020, 5:38 AM

And if you've ever been to a chicken plant there are FDA inspectors everywhere

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep.***

Jan 28, 2020, 7:27 AM [ in reply to Re: I am shocked at the size of recruits today... ]

Jan 28, 2020, 6:59 AM [ in reply to Re: I am shocked at the size of recruits today... ]

Also, people are healthier than they were even 100 years ago. If you look at mug shots from people in England in the early 1900's they were all 5 ft 6 and even 5ft 1 wasnt rare. We are talking men here. 5ft 10 was tall back then. Humans have grown due to nutrition and less disease.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-are-we-getting-taller/

Jan 28, 2020, 7:25 AM [ in reply to Re: I am shocked at the size of recruits today... ]

I've also observed that many kids these days start losing baby teeth at 5 instead of 6, and many kids are wearing adult shoe sizes by 4th or 5th grade when that used to take until middle school.

Jan 28, 2020, 12:43 AM

Agree - it is amazing - BigBass ... and going back another 25 years or so before your HS years - think we had one - maybe two linemen that tipped the scales at 200 or above .. ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jan 28, 2020, 1:02 AM

I live in a small town and when I was in high school many years ago, if you were 6 ft. tall, you were the automatic center on the basketball team.

Jan 28, 2020, 1:31 AM

was on the field before a game, walked by the EZ where linemen were warming up. thought I was in The Valley of the Giants.

While kids keep getting bigger, they are also adding muscle to a bone structure that is just too much. The size and power of these kids is more than the bone structure can take, thus more injuries.

Gotta wonder how much bigger they can get.

Jan 28, 2020, 9:37 AM

The bones can take it.

The tensile strength of a bone is ridiculously high.

The problem is the imbalance in the training.

Guys who have massive quads and weak hamstrings will constantly have hamstring problems or will be at much higher risk for knee injuries.

Guys who bench press a ton but fail to work their back and shoulder muscles equally will be at a much higher risk for injury in those areas as well.

It's rarely the bones that give, but the tendons and ligaments that are not properly taken care of.

As a Tommy John surgery recipient I know all too well how improper preparation can have a major effect on tendons and ligaments.

Interesting topic. I was at Rock Hill High from 1961-1965,

Jan 28, 2020, 5:07 AM

and the largest fellow on our FB team weighed about 200 and was about six feet tall.

The QB was about five feet eight and 135-140 pounds. Several of our friends here offer unique reasons for the growth over the years, and I suspect our affluence along with advanced medicine have played roles. Comments about 400 pound, six feet nine linemen are spot on IMO. May be Baylor had or has a player that big already.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting topic. I was at Rock Hill High from 1961-1965,

Jan 28, 2020, 7:48 AM

I was a starting offensive lineman for the #1 ranked team in S.C. in 1972 at 170 lbs. We had 2 people in our starting 22 that weighed 200 lbs. Definitely a different era. When I hear people compare athletes for different eras, I chuckle. Today’s athletes would dominate earlier eras simply with size and speed.

Re: Interesting topic. I was at Rock Hill High from 1961-1965,

Jan 28, 2020, 6:11 PM

Who did you play for?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Now HS teams avg 300+ on the OL.

Jan 28, 2020, 7:31 AM

If it makes you feel any better, my high school is still full of 5'9" 150 lb boys.

BTW, their football season NEVER extends past Nov 2.

Jan 28, 2020, 7:47 AM

I remember seeing the Fridge play in Spartanburg when i was much younger. The vikings were good and had nobody over 240 on the OL. He could take out two of them by himself and still grab the QB. It was impressive to see and then i saw him dunk a basketball and knew the game was changing. Levon Kirkland was a big man and now there a lot of guys just like him.

Jan 28, 2020, 7:55 AM

That whole Perry clan was big. I worked at SRP with one of WP's brothers. Michael Dean was probably a better athlete. Just not quite as big as WP.

Jan 28, 2020, 8:51 AM

Michael Dean was driven. Frig was just naturally good.

I was 6'3" and 200+ in 7th grade and that was

Jan 28, 2020, 7:51 AM

20+ years ago.

It happens a lot more these days, but there's also a lot more available info out there now as well. As well as these training/diet programs that the high end athletes participate in which make them more ready physically for the next level.

Training has come a long way in the last 20 years.

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

I think mainly is that 20 years ago, we never sniffed a 5*

Jan 28, 2020, 9:50 AM

We were overjoyed with a 3 and 4 stars

Jan 28, 2020, 9:52 AM

I tell my students that we've been growing taller every century, thanks to better food. In the fifteenth century, the French and British fought a war in which no one was taller than 3 and a half feet. They rode into battle on the backs of Maine Coon cats. Some of them believe me.

Back in 1955... 5'10" 165lbs was considered huge

Jan 28, 2020, 9:52 AM

just saying.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sweet...I was born in '55...and

Jan 28, 2020, 10:03 AM

Those are my stats! I'm huge now! I'm huge! :)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2020, 12:17 PM

If you can find one of the old Tiger Football magazines or programs that listed the starters with their height and weight, this will give you a good idea how these measurables have increased over the years. In the 1930's (high school), if we had someone in the 200 pound range, he was dubbed "Battleship". Our linemen were in the 145 - 175 pound range and running backs about 135 -150 pounds.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember the Redskin Hogs? Mere piglets compared to today

Jan 28, 2020, 12:45 PM

I don't think they weighed over 260 lbs??

Jan 28, 2020, 2:24 PM

Childhood nutrition

Replies: 26
| visibility 5,594
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic