Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting theory on our RBs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Interesting theory on our RBs

Sep 2, 2018, 5:59 PM

Buddy brought it up at the tailgate. Just curious what y’alls thoughts were.

Example was ETN before the game. How dynamic he was last year, hit the holes recklessly and gained yards. But, at times picked his hole and didn’t follow the call. Went where play allowed. Forget the blocking aspect, this was only about running.

Buddy said our RBs tend to get worse after Elliot gets on them about hitting correct hole and taking the instinct of being a RB out of their game.

After the game, he was all about ETN not looking at fluid or aggressive this game and more worried about running the gap assigned instead of just running and creating. Said it’s one thing to learn blocking but another to tell a RB to hit a hole that isn’t there for the sake of it.

Thoughts? I’m undecided but will say ETN busted out 30,40, 50 yarders last year off instinct and gut. My son got sick so we left early but didn’t see that same fluidness. He was gaining good yards but it was also Furman.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your buddy should drink less at the tailgate.***

Sep 2, 2018, 6:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Your buddy should drink less at the tailgate.***

Sep 2, 2018, 6:03 PM

Haha. Would agree but that’s many of tailgates. But the banter and talk keep it fun

Re: Interesting theory on our RBs

Sep 2, 2018, 6:14 PM

Sorry. Was the thumbs down for a honest question or leaving early with a sick kid? Just want to make sure I fully understand your a- clown move. And without a rebuttable. So you’re nutless too.

Sorry. Don’t mind a TD if I’m pushing an extreme agenda or hot topic but quite tired of a clowns on this board throwing them around and bashing others for talking football. Jog on son or speak your mind and put a name behind it

Sep 2, 2018, 6:24 PM

I have to some what agree with your buddy and I'm glad you brought up the subject. It does sure seem that way to an extent. It seemed kinda the same with feaster in 16 compared to 17. One example of when it works like it's supposed to would be feasters run at nc state. You could drive a bus through that hole. Maybe elliot is coaching them to get them nfl ready, idk, but definately a interesting topic.

Sep 2, 2018, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting theory on our RBs ]

How does one know if they get a "thumbs down", let alone know who did it? And what difference doe it make? Who among us thinks everyone had to "amen" their comments.

If you have something decent to say, don't worry if someone doesn't agree with you. Sheesh!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2018, 6:16 PM

Made a comment in regards to him looking slow and hesitant yesterday as compared to last year. I think this is a great point made. Lyn J looked more explosive yesterday. You need to let backs with great vision go where they see the hole.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2018, 6:18 PM

A couple questions here. How does your friend know ETN went off ###### on his long runs last season? How does he know he’s following the ###### on any runs that haven’t gone for long gains? What was so bad about yesterday anyway? He averaged 5.7 yards per carry. Is he supposed to break off 50+ yard runs every time he touches the ball?

Sep 2, 2018, 6:21 PM

Sorry. Lots of #### symbols on your post. Watch your mouth. Lol. Assuming you meant missing the assigned hole and following the play. If so... go back and listen to Elliot and the coaches last year who said he did that quite often even on his big gains. If that’s not what you said, maybe try without cussing so we can read your comment and rebut or agree!!

Message was edited by: CUinTampa

Sep 2, 2018, 6:25 PM

S C R I P T is a bad word. It messes with the code.

Sep 2, 2018, 6:29 PM

Yeah lol that word. Wasn’t expecting that to be a bad word.

Sep 2, 2018, 6:32 PM

Ohh ######. Who knew. K, my rebuttable stands as stated haha

We should just quit running the ball

Sep 2, 2018, 6:31 PM

problem solved

but KB can’t throw and USC is WRU, so then what?

Sep 2, 2018, 8:04 PM

(Sarcasm font working?)

This is no question about our coaching staff

Sep 2, 2018, 6:33 PM

as you see it all across college, and professional football, but I've always found it odd someone that played one position as a player, ends up coaching a different position once they are a coach.

I understand a former offensive or defensive player becoming a coordinator on their side of the ball but have never understood the position switch from playing to coaching.

Would love to hear responses from people with more knowledge

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

This is what happens when you name a WR coach

Sep 2, 2018, 6:34 PM

The head guy

Re: This is what happens when you name a WR coach

Sep 2, 2018, 6:37 PM

Dabo or Elliot? Lol. Jk jk. Head coaches are not part of his argument I think as they couldn’t have played that position in college.... just saying.

Only student managers should become head coaches

Sep 2, 2018, 6:42 PM

like Paul Johnson

Re: Only student managers should become head coaches

Sep 2, 2018, 6:47 PM

I agree. For a man of the dancing girls, you know a lot about football!! Lol jk

Or trying to be the PBP guy after a Legend like Jim Phillips

Sep 2, 2018, 6:51 PM [ in reply to This is what happens when you name a WR coach ]

Your dad was great BTW ;)

Many o' childhood memories associated with his call of the games!

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Sep 2, 2018, 6:45 PM

That’s a good point. I specifically remember after the big run at Louisville, Elliot saying he ran the wrong play and just took what the D gave him. I don’t know if that translates to lack of position in blocking but also couldn’t tell from yesterday if ETN has changed anything. It seemed like we were forcing KB to pass and we’re using the RBs more when TL and CB were in the game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look at CJ Spiller's stats and decide for yourself ...***

Sep 2, 2018, 7:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Look at CJ Spiller's stats and decide for yourself ...***

Sep 2, 2018, 7:35 PM

I’m lazy. Can you just SPILLer them to us. See what I did there? Man I’m good. Haha

Re: Look at CJ Spiller's stats and decide for yourself ...***

Sep 2, 2018, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Look at CJ Spiller's stats and decide for yourself ...*** ]

Ok. Was hoping you’d do it. But do realize Elliot was not the coach when spiller was at Clemson right?

Here's your answer to your tailgate buddy......

Sep 2, 2018, 7:33 PM

If the play call is for the RB to hit the A-gap (or whatever gap) and there is no opening to run through, then the problem is blocking at the point of attack. As long as the RB is patient for the split second it takes to see whether or not there is an opportunity at the designed gap before jump-switching to another gap, all is well, but if there's nothing but enemy in the designed hole, it should be OK to bounce outside or reverse to the other side, so long as a hole is visible.

If there is too much change in the RB running into a gap not called, then the coaches need to work on the O-line - not the RBs. RBs can run anywhere you ask then=m to run, but their instinct is to gain yards - which sometimes means they don't run where the pay is called. Sometimes there are circumstances that don't seem right (like Spiller not liking to run inside), but if they can get away with it by gaining yards, then they can survive in the job.... if not, you have to pull them.

My point is that sometimes the problem isn't the RB - it's the O-line.

We were playing

Sep 2, 2018, 8:07 PM

A highly regarded Furman team yesterday so I’m disappointed that Dabo didn’t pull out all the stops and show A & M what we can really do when it counts. I’m extremely disappointed that ETN didn’t get 25 carries yesterday to show the world what he can do. That Dabo is a dumb a$$ we are stuck with until something better comes along. Your friend is right. Clemson will be lucky to win six games with the talent that is available. Fire Dabo and hire your friend.

I hope the sarcasm meters are on!

It would be a shame if Elliott is taking away RBs natural instincts.

Sep 2, 2018, 8:14 PM

Especially since he was a WR and not RB. Makes you wonder why he’s coaching that position in the first place.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: It would be a shame if Elliott is taking away RBs natural instincts.

Sep 2, 2018, 8:44 PM

Well , how does one get to be a head basketball coach in college ,without having played college ball ?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly How

Sep 2, 2018, 8:15 PM

do you take away natural instincts????

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

or sophomore slump

Sep 2, 2018, 8:17 PM

Or multiple other superstitions. Elliott found / recruited ETN which is more than half the battle. Too early to judge in one game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

found this article intersting

Sep 2, 2018, 8:35 PM

Elliott: He called about two weeks [after the firing] to come coach the running backs. We had talked [through the years]. I'd always call him for advice, and he had called me about some other opportunities. I always bounced ideas off him. But I didn't think I was going to have a shot this go-around because it was a running back job. I'm coming from Furman, and all I've ever coached is wideouts. I played wideout. I don't know anything about running backs.

The key is being humble and understanding that you've got a lot to learn. Reach out to the people who are willing to share their knowledge. Just absorb as much as you can. Be honest with your players. The first conversation with [star tailback] Andre Ellington was, "Hey, dude. We're from the same hometown, so I know who you are. But I'm going to be honest. I've coached wideouts. Teach me. I want you to teach me how to be a running backs coach. I've met with [Alabama running backs coach] Burton Burns. I've met with [former Mississippi State head coach and then-NFL assistant] Sylvester Croom. I've gotten their drills and their information. But I want you to teach me how to feel the position." It's just being humble and understanding that you've got to connect with your kids. You've got to learn. You've got to ask the questions. You've got to study. You've got to prepare yourself.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/09/29/clemsons-tony-elliott-jeff-scott-reflect-what-made-them-who-they-are

Message was edited by: tigertrain®

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic