Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Conversation with Terry Don Phillips - Part IV - Football Program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Conversation with Terry Don Phillips - Part IV - Football Program

Feb 13, 2012, 5:48 PM

Conversation with Terry Don Phillips - Part IV - Football Program

Part four of our conversation with Clemson Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips centers on the football program. What does Phillips say about Dabo's contract, Thursday night games, and the rivalry with USC? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This has been informative. Thanks T-Net.***

Feb 13, 2012, 6:08 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I concur with "Completely Solid Orange"..and thank our AD...

Feb 13, 2012, 6:59 PM

for being forthright with TigerNet...and hope Terry Don continues to value our input and the need to converse with us semi-annually.

Go TIGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He avoided the question on night games!!***

Feb 13, 2012, 6:59 PM

Re: He avoided the question on night games!!***

Feb 13, 2012, 7:33 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemsons history is day games.

Feb 13, 2012, 7:39 PM [ in reply to He avoided the question on night games!!*** ]

We play at night only for TV. We would not have lights except for television. They were installed in 1992.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Re: Clemsons history is day games.

Feb 14, 2012, 4:13 PM

Everybody's history is day games. Tons of stadiums didn't have lights until the 90s. (I think BC's baseball stadium still doesn't have them)

Avoiding night games because day games were the tradition is like avoiding automobiles because the horse and buggy is a tradition.

Re: He avoided the question on night games!!***

Feb 13, 2012, 9:55 PM [ in reply to He avoided the question on night games!!*** ]

Yes he did. Please press him on this if you get another opportunity!

2nd that, please press him. I hate day games!

Feb 14, 2012, 11:50 AM

2nd!

I've enjoyed the series, also, and was glad to see the

Feb 13, 2012, 7:15 PM

possibility for future interviews referred to as "AT LEAST biannually."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't have the sand to ask him about UNC and Swoffie?

Feb 13, 2012, 9:51 PM

I really can't blame you.....you'd never get another interview.....and he wouldn't answer anyway.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Oh yea

Feb 13, 2012, 9:52 PM

I really enjoyed the series.......really!

Now we need to get back to firing TDP.......don;t want him to think we will go easy on him just for giving us a little insight into his dealings

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Crump...great work on this piece.

Feb 13, 2012, 10:46 PM

I always was a little disappointed in the lack of communication between our AD and fans...this was a great step in the right direction for TDP.

I hope to hear more from him in the future. Ultimately, he is making the best moves possible.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting series of interviews with AD TDP (long)

Feb 14, 2012, 12:22 AM

Overall, I have enjoyed the interview series with our Athletic Director. Thanks David Hood and Crump for the good work. We all want to know more about the inner workings of the Athletic Department and the philosophy of our AD.

After the first article in the series, my reaction was TDP would better to just not do the interview. Him complaining about the crowd at Littlejohn and insinuating the Clemson fans somehow ran Oliver Purnell off got the interviews off on a bad start. In my view, he came across better in the other three articles. I really enjoyed the article on facilities. The article on conference realignment wasn't very enlightening but I understand there isn't much he can say publicly about what might be happening.

I did find some things of concern. First with regard to the conference television package, he didn't seem to be very familiar with the contract. He said things like:
> "his understanding,"
> "unless you have the contract in front you and spend a lot of time carving it up," and
> "my understanding is all the individual universities gave up their rights to the conference."

Seems like these are basics that the AD should be on top of. I mean if you give up your individual rights you should understand how that works. After all, he is an attorney by training.

Also, in the last interview when discussing Venables' contract he says, "we actually just got that completed." Then in the very next sentence on incentives he says "we will nail those down a little bit better later." Is the contract completed or not? Maybe I am just being too critical and parsing works, but those statements seem to contradict each other. Maybe he means the major points have been completed and some of the finer points are still being ironed out, but you would think someone with a legal background would be more precise in their language.

Some claim he's asleep at the switch and those kind of comments don't help dispel that notion.

Re: Interesting series of interviews with AD TDP (long)

Feb 14, 2012, 9:13 AM

Alot of contracts are worked out like that. They agree on a basic contract to get them in place, then work out some incentives at another time. Happens every day.

Re: Interesting series of interviews with AD TDP (long)

Feb 15, 2012, 12:44 AM

I can understand that but I wound not describe such a contract as completed. I would say the major provisions have been agreed to with further details to be ironed out.

4-part interview. Learned 1 thing... new displays in DV

Feb 14, 2012, 2:34 PM

In this 4-part interview, what did we learn that hasn't already been reported or isn't blatantly obvious?

1) New video displays coming to Death Valley. I didn't know that.
2) ?

Heaven forbid anybody ask TDP a tough question, otherwise we might not get to read TDP’s biannual PR statement. Here are some questions I’d like to ask him:

1) Considering that the Arkansas newspapers and ESPN reported that the Univ. of Arkansas board of trustees rejected Tommy Bowden as a lateral move before you gave Bowden a contract extension, and considering that Tommy Bowden is still unemployed after 99 FBS head coaching changes, wasn’t it a huge mistake for you to grant Tommy Bowden a $4M buyout a few months before firing him?

2) Whose decision was it to give Tommy Bowden a $4M buyout?

3) Did the financial hardship of that $4M buyout influence you to hire an inexperienced head coach on the cheap instead of a higher-priced more-proven head coach?

4) Why did you allow Dabo to fired one of the best DCs in the country (Vic Koenning) and hire a zero experience OC (Billy Napier)? Weren’t those huge mistakes?

5) Considering that Clemson’s facilities, location, stadium, and attendance are top tier and the recruiting classes are consistently top tier (#14,#8, #19, #37, #12, #16, #16 , #17) why has Clemson football continued to finish in the fringe of the Top 25 (#22, unranked, #24, unranked, #21, unranked)? Doesn’t that tend to indicate that Clemson’s coaches are underperforming relative to the recruited talent?

6) Considering that Clemson is 1-9 against non-conference AP Top 25 finishers under your administration (including 0-5 under Dabo) is it fair to say that during the decade you’ve been at Clemson, you’ve made Clemson competitive in the relatively weak ACC, but you’ve failed to make Clemson a nationally competitive, respected, top tier team?

7) Considering the aforementioned recruited talent, Dabo’s 0-5 performance against non-con AP Top 25 finishers, and the 70-33 blowout in the Orange Bowl, is it fair to say that Dabo and his staff have underperformed their recruited talent?

8) There has been much speculation that Clemson’s Strength & Training program is underperforming. Can you provide any hard data showing that it’s top tier?

9) When Swofford was the AD at his alma mater, UNC, he pushed the ACC to levy additional sanctions against the Clemson football program. If UNC is sanctioned by the NCAA, shouldn’t Swofford (to be fair and consistent) similarly levy additional sanctions against UNC? Will you push for that?

10) Do you think Swofford treats all of the ACC schools & sports fairly, or does he tend to favor UNC and basketball?

If he was TRULY one of the best DCs in the country, would

Feb 14, 2012, 2:49 PM

you have to put his name in parenthesis?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. Parenthetical added to avoid confusion with Steele.

Feb 14, 2012, 5:27 PM

At Clemson, Koenning's scoring defenses ranked:
2008: #13
2007: #10
2006: #16
2005: #11

Koenning improved lowly Illinois' scoring defense from #96 to #48 in his 1st year as DC, and #15 in his 2nd year.

So yeah... Koenning is one of the best DCs in the country.

Agree on all Razz. Here come the coot calls.

Feb 14, 2012, 6:08 PM

Agree on every point. Especially the TB contract negotiations and how Dabo became our coach. I Like Dabo, but effective CEO's have spent time running a segment of an operation. Can he really snipe at Brent and Chad when he has never had to produce what he asking? And heaven forbid, although he would never answer, ask about the Swofford/UNC influence.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic