Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting players from the early 70's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Interesting players from the early 70's

Jun 27, 2019, 2:23 PM

Forrest's post below got me to recall Rick Gilstrap from Easley. He was a big strong guy everyone wanted for qb. I think we beat out UGa for him. Well he never seemed to win the starting QB job so toward the end of his career Hootie used him some at tailback and he did ok behind a so so OL. He could never seem to catch the ball if thrown to out of the backfield but was a good runner. The odd part of that was he would miss swing pass after swing pass in practice but was the PAT and FG holder. He was always sure handed with those as I recall. Also on those teams was a DE named Bob Jones who transferred from Nebraska. Was a good DE who had been the third string qb at Nebraska as I recall.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting players from the early 70's

Jun 27, 2019, 2:49 PM

Don’t get me started on these players from another era! Tiger football hasn’t always been national champions but we have had some quality players and young men come through the program .... and few are guys you would like to forget.
Remember Jay Washington? When the Tigers brought him on board I thought we finally had a speed burner. He was a good player. Marion Reeves is another. A real Dabo kind of player. I wish he was coming in now. Stan Rome would have become a great player under the right circumstances.

Some oldster help me with this one. We had a center in the 60s-70s who became a great NFL guy but his name escapes me. Played for the Cards. Maybe Mulligan!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2019, 2:51 PM

It was Wayne Mulligan. A Baltimore kid and here we are recruiting in that area again.

Jun 27, 2019, 3:48 PM

In 1966 season starting O-Line was:
End Wayne Bell
R Tackle Wayne Mass
R Guard Mike Facciolo
C Wayne Mulligan
LG Harry Olszewski
LT Larry Keys
LE Edgar McGee

QB Jimmy Addison
TB Buddy Gore
FB Bo Ruffner
Flanker Phil Rogers

Might have the ends reversed - been a long time.

Jun 27, 2019, 4:36 PM

I think you've got the ends reversed. Back in those days it was legal for the tackle and TE to execute a high-low block, and I remember Mass and McGee doing that a lot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2019, 4:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting players from the early 70's ]

Jimmy was a good QB...the needle.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2019, 6:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting players from the early 70's ]

That was a pretty good team. Both Harry O and Wayne Mass made All-American, but not sure it was in the same year. Harry weighed about 230 Lbs. (about 5'10 at most) and Wayne was tall and about 240. Some of the players used to come by the weight club occasionally and I remember that Wayne Mass could not bench press 300 lbs. My senior year (I think) I remember the only regular in the weight room was RB Ray Yauger who almost always only did lower body exercises like squats.

Jun 27, 2019, 6:42 PM

The weight room wasn't very impressive back then. The only athletes who lifted at all were some football players and not many of them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2019, 12:16 AM

Yep .... as a matter of fact, I think the weightlifting club had a better weight room than the football team, so the few that lifted came to our weight room.

Jun 27, 2019, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting players from the early 70's ]

Absolutely idolized Buddy Gore!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2019, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting players from the early 70's ]

Absolutely idolized Buddy Gore!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2019, 12:17 AM

Yep Buddy was a stud! One of my bike riding partners tutored Buddy but said he really didn't need it ...... pretty darn smart!

Jun 28, 2019, 12:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Interesting players from the early 70's ]

Phil-Wiggy Rodgers pasted away in his 20s (way too soon). Does anyone know how many players off the list are still living?

Jun 27, 2019, 4:45 PM

Ken Pengitore(sp?) QB that endured the coots 56-20 victory in Cootlumbia. I think it was 1975 . He was a favorite of mine, he was who I wanted to grow up and be like. God, that was so long ago!

Pengitore's last season was 1972. I believe Mike O'Cain

Jun 27, 2019, 7:18 PM

endured most of the 1975 season. Steve Fuller was a freshman on that team.

Red Parker's problem was not recruiting. Back stabbing assistants did him in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2019, 6:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Interesting players from the early 70's ]

Pengitore was the qb and from northern NJ where I am from. I also had a friend who I played with in high school who played wr at Clemson.

Pengitore was not a great qb but he did have some good games.

Later in life he was indicted, along with some of his family, for acts he committed as the head of a utility company up in NJ. Not sure what happened to him afterward

Bennie Cunningham was the stud when I was there. Will always remember him carrying opposing players down the field after he caught the ball - man among boys

but we had Hootie who was a HORRIBLE coach and thought he was at Ohio State

Up the middle, up the middle, pass, punt - that was our offense as he was never able to get the studs on the OL like OSU, etc.

We got killed by every SEC team while I was there

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don Testerman

Jun 27, 2019, 4:56 PM

Our staff did a horrible job with him. I don't think he ever started for us, but he was good enough to play a few years in the pros and even started some as a FB.

Testerman played fullback on a pretty successful 1974 team

Jun 27, 2019, 7:23 PM

that was absolutely screwed out of a bowl appearance. I think Testerman started for most if not all of that year.

I can't remember if he was back for the 75 season or not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2019, 7:13 AM

Visited Clemson during Spring Practice early 70s. I was 11 or 12. During a scrimmage in the stadium, a player got injured. Went to the sideline and proceeded to have a hunk of meat sewed back to his nose, so he could continue playing. Didn’t know his name but I think the players were tougher back then.

Jun 28, 2019, 8:49 AM

I remember running back Ken Callicutt from the early/mid 70s.
He was a pretty good RB, but fumbled a lot and got called
Ken "cough it up" Callicutt by a lot of us not so nice people.
I also remember Smiley Sanders from the first year I started
going to games in '73. He was a Daniel HS grad and was a teacher
and assistant coach when I went there in the late 70s. He later
became principal a few years after I left in '80.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic