Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Venables Details
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Football Update: Venables Details

Jan 19, 2012, 11:48 AM

Venables Details

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Venables Details

Jan 19, 2012, 11:52 AM

Well that makes things look even better for us.

Seriously -- he basically just dumped OU for Clemson

Jan 19, 2012, 11:55 AM

almost straight up.

I'm starting to feel a little bad for OU now.

Oh well.

American capitalism at its finest!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seriously -- he basically just dumped OU for Clemson

Jan 19, 2012, 12:03 PM

TU for the picture of the kid. Cute!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reading that makes me think even more highly of Venables

Jan 19, 2012, 11:55 AM

So basically, he knows he is taking a big risk coming to Clemson, in a sense. This is a career move, pure and simple. He knows that if he comes in and does a fantastic job here, it will pave the road for a HC gig. Why else would he leave what's comfortable at OU? I see no other scenario, and that's just dandy. This is comparable to an engineer or manager leaving a large company he's been with for 15 years to take a position with more visibility and responsibility at an up-and-coming company.

No risk. The D will improve. A 13 year successful

Jan 19, 2012, 11:58 AM

experience at OU will be brought to the D...a winning attitude that will refuse failure. BV is motivated to prove that he did not need help from the Stoops brother.

Re: Reading that makes me think even more highly of Venables

Jan 19, 2012, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Reading that makes me think even more highly of Venables ]

Venables may have also realized that if he stayed, he would eventually be the odd man out since his last name is not Stoops. (there it is...)

And considering Clemson offered him a lot more money, it's a no brainer IMO. (other than the fact that OU has been one of the premiere football programs for years and Clemson is still trying to climb that mountain)

Did you read the link? They offered to match. That's makes

Jan 19, 2012, 12:06 PM

a huge difference, as you allude to (also says they would have allowed him to keep play-calling duties). I agree with what you're saying about the Stoops brothers. Obviously, he didn't feel 100% comfortable with that situation. He is definitely taking a risk by joining our staff, but it's an admirable one. Clearly, he believes in himself and the rest of the staff, or he wouldn't have taken the leap of faith.

Re: Did you read the link? They offered to match. That's makes

Jan 19, 2012, 12:08 PM

I dunno, I was always taught never to accept a counter-offer from your existing company. Even if it benefits you in the short run, they already know you're a flight risk and the trust level will never be the same. Eventually they will find a way to screw you before you can screw them. I'd think that doubly so with Mike Stoops in the picture now.

Interesting perspective. I could see that I suppose.

Jan 19, 2012, 12:17 PM

So you're saying he pretty much felt compelled to leave? I suppose I could see that, given the situation, especially with blood involved. I still think that he easily could have acquiesced to the administration's wishes and stayed on board with minimal risk and a big raise for the near future. The Clemson fan base is still pretty hungry, especially after the Orange Bowl disaster. If we sleepwalk through 2013 then all or some of the staff could be on the way out.

Re: Interesting perspective. I could see that I suppose.

Jan 19, 2012, 12:22 PM

I just listened to an interview he did (today) and it sounded like his decision came down to Dabo's personality, Clemson being in a recruiting hot bed & nice part of the country, and he thought the job at Clemson could be a good opportunity to lead to a head coaching position. It sounds like the money was matched by OU also.

I hope Venables turns out to be the guy Clemson needs.

Jan 19, 2012, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Interesting perspective. I could see that I suppose. ]

I don't know if he was compelled to leave, per se, but I think once he made it known he had (and was considering) an offer it would have been dangerous for him to stay even with a pay bump. I do realize football coaching is a little (ha) different than corporate America but in Venables' specific situation, I think he probably saw that with Mike Stoops coming on board, his promotion opportunities at OU were suddenly much more limited than before. And that anytime the Stoops (Stoopses?) needed a scapegoat, he'd be a convenient target. In addition he'd be in a Tommy Bowden scenario: having massively upgraded his salary, they also would've expected him to massively improve his defense in a big hurry. One bad year and they'd get rid of him.

Jan 19, 2012, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Interesting perspective. I could see that I suppose. ]

Stop looking behind you think2x. Everything is in front of us!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did you read the link? They offered to match. That's makes

Jan 19, 2012, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Did you read the link? They offered to match. That's makes ]

What in the bloody H&ll makes people think that a job at Clemson is RISKY. Tommy Bowden says Hi!!! Dabo has done nothing to hurt our program. In fact, b/c of his success, he has eyes wide open around the country. The hires he has had the balls to make, now getting Venables. Everybody sees Clemson as a program now steady on the rise. It is not an effing risk to work at Clemson. It is if you're not doing what you were hired to do. Dabo has more than proved that he will put you in the road if you're not. Venables feels he is a plus to help keep this program moving forward. Clemson will be better on his resume than OU if he does his job in helping what was a fallen progrom back to the top. Oh yes, the coots streak has ended!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reading that makes me think even more highly of Venables

Jan 19, 2012, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Reading that makes me think even more highly of Venables ]

Maybe Dabo offered him Co-HC.

Dabo is one hell of a recruiter***

Jan 19, 2012, 11:57 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is awesome.***

Jan 19, 2012, 11:59 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

WIN

Jan 19, 2012, 12:12 PM

We can go ahead and chalk this up as a W for Clemson...

Re: It could be a potential TRAP in setting Brent Venables

Jan 19, 2012, 12:46 PM

to fall.

Thank you tigerbolt/tigerbo17/tigerjackson

Jan 19, 2012, 12:50 PM

I am glad you coots are worried.

Re: Thank you tigerbolt/tigerbo17/tigerjackson

Jan 19, 2012, 1:08 PM

The writing is on the wall and the see it. They have lived it for ever. They have tasted a small amount of success. Now they see the one team they hate the worse is going to take it all back from them....

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic