Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting numbers regarding how strong Clemson's D was 81
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Interesting numbers regarding how strong Clemson's D was 81

Sep 8, 2013, 8:24 PM

Think about these numbers if they actually went with the Offense of the recent Clemson teams

Those were opponents scores for each game in 1981. Now that is scary without a strong offense. If that D played today it would be NCAA sanctioned due to inability for other teams to compete with Clemson on any Saturday

Really forgot what made Clemson's name because we haven't seen it in so long. 500 yds to UGA isn't going to get it done but maybe they will get better each week

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IIRC the longest play our D gave up all year was 26 yards...

Sep 8, 2013, 8:27 PM

and I think that was in the OB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

the 24 we scored 82***

Sep 8, 2013, 8:27 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats Wake for 24 points...ha ha ha***

Sep 8, 2013, 8:28 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i like this post

Sep 8, 2013, 8:45 PM

point

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting numbers regarding how strong Clemson's D was 81

Sep 8, 2013, 8:28 PM

Georgia is going to put up those kinds of numbers on almost everyone they play this year. We got the "W", all that matters. I am highly impressed with our D line this year, think they will get us far. Take it a game at a time and improve each week and we will be fine.

Never realized Wake ran up the most points that year***

Sep 8, 2013, 8:30 PM

Because Ford let the practice squad play in the 4th qtr!!!

Sep 8, 2013, 8:34 PM

An exaggeration, of course, but he did use players who were not on the roster. That game was over before half-time.

Go, Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A RB, #44, scored a TD for us late in the game. Nobody knew

Sep 8, 2013, 8:55 PM

who it was. I think the next day, on Danny's show, he just referred to him as "number 44".

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

They called called kids out of the stands at halftime to

Sep 8, 2013, 9:20 PM [ in reply to Because Ford let the practice squad play in the 4th qtr!!! ]

dress and play the second half. True story I played on the hill that day sliding down on boxes as we did every Saturday. My dad still tells the story that a kid who sat behind us with his parents played on the practice squad and was called at half time over the PA to the locker room and made the tackle on the second half kick off. The 81 year was mythical to a degree and magical at the same time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep that is true.***

Sep 8, 2013, 9:27 PM

Sep 8, 2013, 8:31 PM

Those are big time numbers. I just think its a lot harder for the D to put up dominate numbers when we have a up tempo offense. Opponents pretty much have twice the possessions than they would against a regular style offense in the huddle. I think we'll still be fine this year if we can just cut down on the big plays...bend but don't break.

Sep 8, 2013, 8:37 PM

It's a different game and different era. Those days it's was common to have games where the score was 13-7, time controlling rushing games and long huddle/milk the clock. Today its all about no huddle high snap counts. No comparison.

Thx "kiknchkn". U R a scholar with the hardest name to spell

Sep 8, 2013, 8:40 PM

Wow, what LOW scoring against our 1981 D since I had forgotten it.

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 8, 2013, 8:39 PM

Don't forget, back then the offense was a lot of running and minimal passing. The team had a suffocating defense and just enough offence to get it done. Now we have a high powered offence that is a lot of fun to watch and a defense that gets better all the time - enjoy it!

That same D, great as it was, would not put up those stats

Sep 8, 2013, 8:45 PM

against today's offenses. That defense was made up of relentless, foaming at the mouth, hard hitting animals. That was typical of the defenses under Danny Ford. It's just dang near impossible to shut down the up tempo, spread offenses of today that way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I agree. But we could shut out Ga Tech with that defense...***

Sep 8, 2013, 10:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Take head out of a$$ and realize offenses have changed

Sep 8, 2013, 8:49 PM

since then and will never be the same.

Wow. Your glass is half empty.

Sep 8, 2013, 8:50 PM

Georgia was 5 yards away from beating Alabama and playing for all the marbles at the end of last season. They are an outstanding team. We were a few dropped passes away from really thumping them. We sacked Murray four times and forced him into a fumble and an INT. I would take that performance against all the rest of our opponents.

Sep 8, 2013, 9:14 PM

Back then Clemson ran long, slow, clock eating drives that kept offenses off the field. Apples and oranges with today's spread offense.

I'm still on to you, coot

Sep 8, 2013, 9:35 PM

nm

Apples and Oranges......offenses have changed A LOT

Sep 8, 2013, 10:22 PM

since 1981. Put that same defense on our team today and they would be good. But they would not hold today's offenses to numbers that low. And if you really think about it, they would be scorched by UGA's offense we saw a week ago. They would stuff the ever living snot out of Ga Tech though. We would hold them to single digit points with that 81 defense. They would have to learn totally different looks on offense, totally different plays, and skills would have to be split up. Our current DB's are better than that 81 defense probably. Now the DL....I would take them because their job has not changed much and they were great.

But in reality I'm not sure you would see much improvement from that defense and what we have now, at least the way we've played the last 3 games. There is nowhere near the speed we need on that 81 defense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With the offenses today, those numbers will not be

Sep 8, 2013, 10:24 PM

seen again, ever...

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic