Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting how our perception of Brownell as a coach...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1,962

Interesting how our perception of Brownell as a coach...

Feb 10, 2013, 5:12 PM

Would be different had Wood's shot today had clanked off the rim and give us the win. And/or if the same had happened to Snaer at FSU. I guess if those shots had not gone in, it makes brownell a better coach?!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brownell not the problem. Once he fully...

Feb 10, 2013, 5:17 PM

transitions to "his" team, things will be better. The mix of OP leftovers and Brownell players is not working. Patience.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell not the problem. Once he fully...

Feb 10, 2013, 5:32 PM

Agree 100% plus we have no leadership on this team. Hopefully one of the young guys will step up next year. No disrespect to Booker and Jennings but they are not leaders.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like Brownell, but only Booker and Jennings are OP players

Feb 10, 2013, 5:44 PM [ in reply to Brownell not the problem. Once he fully... ]

everyone else is what Brownell has managed to get.

Not an elite ACC level of talent. However, I don't think Brownell is the reason for Brownell's inability to get blue chips.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I like Brownell, but only Booker and Jennings are OP players

Feb 10, 2013, 6:07 PM

we are never going to get ACC elite BBall players out of HS aty least regularly. Coaching up is our only means to get to the dance. Coaching up takes time and system fits. I'm willing to give it a couple more years and see what sprouts.

Going into this season no one without orange colored glasses saw a whole lot

of course he's going to get a few more yrs unless he

Feb 10, 2013, 6:10 PM

pulls the plug and moves on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blossomgame...Coleman...it's tiring repeating to y'all who

Feb 10, 2013, 6:42 PM [ in reply to I like Brownell, but only Booker and Jennings are OP players ]

don't follow basketball very much that two of our best players are injured...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Once again, all I said was that I don't think saying

Feb 10, 2013, 7:32 PM

Brownell is using OP's players is as valid a reasoning as it was 1-2 years ago.

I also said that I didn't think Brownell is responsible for our Talent level either. OP had a ton of recruiting ability IMO and he still couldn't recruit at the level of UNC/Duke/Etc.

If we want to become an elite program, Clemson is going to have to give an elite level of funding. Firing Brownell is not the answer. The answer is making Clemson Basketball a funding priority alongside Football. Which I doubt Clemson will end up doing.

Blossomgame/Coleman being injured definitely has crippled our season. But if you think they are what is keeping us from Being a perennial top 15 Basketball team, they are not it. Funding won't take us all the way there, but in my opinion it is a necessary component of what we need to do if Clemson decides having a Great BBall team is a priority.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

also:Honestly, my only gripe about Brownell, if any,

Feb 10, 2013, 7:37 PM

is that his attitude is a little boring for me as a coach.

However, I would much prefer a coach that knows how to win a game than a coach that can act like he can win a game.

And if Nuk had not caught that pass on 4th and 16, what

Feb 10, 2013, 5:23 PM

Would that say about Dabo? It was not just being beat at the buzzer today though. There is something about your team being in a position to be beat by a shot at the end. If Jenkins made his free throws, we would not have been there. Championship teams seem to come out on top of close games where others lose at the buzzer.

It also didn't help

Feb 10, 2013, 7:45 PM

that on our last few possessions we just let the play clock run down to 8 seconds. We don't have a playmaker that can drive to the basket in that situation. I think if we had just continued to run our offense and pass the ball around, we could have gotten a better shot and still run the clock down. Just my opinion though. I'm obviously not a college basketball coach.

this team simply doesn't have a lot of ACC talent

Feb 10, 2013, 5:54 PM

especially when you're competing against a team like NC St who has four players who are All ACC first or second team...to beat them we have to play a perfect game and we didn't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this team simply doesn't have a lot of ACC talent

Feb 10, 2013, 6:10 PM

yet we lost by a point and cry havoc.

we don't have a single player who would start for NC State

Feb 10, 2013, 6:13 PM

not one and it's doubtful with State's incoming recruiting classes we will in the next five yrs. Having watched Clemson bball for 40 yrs now it's the story of the program...we just don't have a lot of talent and rarely do.

Re: Interesting how our perception of Brownell as a coach...

Feb 10, 2013, 6:27 PM

there is no way woods should have got an open 3 they couldn't beat us with a 2,coming out of the tlme out,that's coaching,having said that,don't fire BB until Jennings has graduated

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2013, 6:44 PM

Leslie's moving screen that wasn't called helped the open 3 IMHO.

Feb 10, 2013, 7:55 PM

Wood grabbing Rod Hall's jersey and throwing him, didn't help either.

I hate these-type arguments ...

Feb 10, 2013, 6:39 PM

Look, like it or not, we live in a results-driven world. Ultimately, the coach is responsible for winning or losing. Sure, there are things that are out of his/her control that factor into a win or a loss. But the ball will bounce out of the basket on last-minute shots just as much as it will bounce in. The coach also gets credit for winning for reasons out of his control. Over time, these even each other out. So, at the end of the day, winning or losing is the only objective barometer.

Feb 10, 2013, 6:43 PM

Yes, it would mean he could teach good defense.

Also, if you didn't know Wood would be the one with the ball to take the final shot for State, you shouldn't be coaching.

And another thing, any team that can only muster 10 points in an entire half of basketball, is not being coached very well. I would bet we could score ten points in a half if we shot from half court every time down the court.

The basketball program is terrible! We should stop spending money on the basketball program. It's a huge waste of money. Brownell is not getting the job done and that is a fact!!

Clemson is a difficult place to coach basketball

Feb 10, 2013, 7:23 PM

because the fans don't understand the game. All they know is if the team wins, the coach can stay. If the team loses, the coach needs to be fired. Idiots.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1,962
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic