Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting Logo Design Info: PAW created 1970; Gamecock within C in 1966...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Interesting Logo Design Info: PAW created 1970; Gamecock within C in 1966...

Jan 26, 2019, 9:41 AM

The Clemson PAW was researched & designed by John Antonio of Henderson Advertising.

The Fighting Gamecock within the C was thought of & designed mainly by FB HC Paul Dietzel..as well his writing the current fight song..both in 1966.

So, both are highly visual & worthy logos for each school.. but which one is known better around America in college football circles?

I’d say the PAW due to its extremely simple design & quick eye appeal and the high success of the football program in last 10 years.

However, to be fair, both are excellent designs & represent their individual mascots very well visually.. going on their 49th & 53rd year respectfully.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The C with a chicken in it is hideous.

Jan 26, 2019, 10:13 AM

The paw is a lot more well known around this country.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the introduction of the Tiger Paw

Jan 26, 2019, 11:10 AM

Came at the same time coaches Ingram and Locke were beginning their coaching careers at Clemson. I believe their teams were the first to wear the paw. Someone may correct me on this. It’s been around almost fifty years!

I also remember football running back Ray Yauger was involved in displaying the paw for the first time in various cities around the state. The Paw has come a looong way in fifty years. Easily one of the most recognized college logos in America.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ Tiger Paw beginning 49th year.

Jan 26, 2019, 11:17 AM

1970 was 1st time seen & used.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the introduction of the Tiger Paw

Jan 26, 2019, 12:31 PM [ in reply to the introduction of the Tiger Paw ]

I've had a paw tattoo on my forearm for 30 years now....Go Tigers!!

Re: Interesting Logo Design Info: PAW created 1970; Gamecock within C in 1966...

Jan 26, 2019, 11:47 AM

https://clemsontigers.com/john-antonio-designer-of-tiger-paw-dies/

PAW Logo versus Gamecock within C.

Jan 26, 2019, 12:49 PM

I moved to Roanoke, VA in 1988 from Greenville. It was in 1989 (I believe) when the Tigers played VaTech in Blacksburg on the same Saturday that the Cluckers played UVa in Charlottesville. For the fun of it, I tuned into the VaTech pregame show to listen in on what they were saying.

One of their DJs called the custodian at a Virginia rest stop near Blacksburg to get a report on I-81 traffic. They then asked him about what he was seeing. The guy said, "There are a lot cars up here with dem tiger paws on 'em, but what school has dem crabs?"

True story. One couldn't make that up.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic