Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Intentional Grounding?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Intentional Grounding?

Oct 2, 2018, 12:12 AM

What officially qualifies as “a receiver in the area”. The attached photo was frozen just after the ball hit the ground, so it had bounced about 1 yd farther forward. After the play the Ref said there was “a receiver in the area”.

Well........they mighta been in the area, but they sure ain’t in the picture.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Intentional Grounding?

Oct 2, 2018, 12:21 AM

Inside the stadium is about what it looks like to me . If the intended reciever is in an adjacent parking lot ... throw the flag .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 2, 2018, 12:28 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing! They completely missed it

Oct 2, 2018, 6:42 AM

The nearest possible player " in the area" could be the shadow about 12 yards down the field. You can see it to the far left. I'm thinking we cold have opted for the 10 sec. runoff instead of the yardage. Either way, the refs weren't ready to throw in the towel. They still had hope.

Oct 2, 2018, 7:24 AM

I thought there were 2 or 3 missed intentional grounding calls. They might not have all been but that one has got to be

Oct 2, 2018, 7:29 AM

Pretty much same side of the field. They had one thrown in the ground behind the line of scrimmage that wasn't anywhere close to the back that stepped up in the line to block. If outside the box it has to be on tragectory to cross the LOS even if it does so out of bounds.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about the one that he literally spiked ?!?

Oct 2, 2018, 7:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Intentional Grounding? ]

How was that not called?

He took 3 steps and spiked the ball at his own feet...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2018, 7:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Intentional Grounding? ]

me also!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2018, 8:04 AM

I thought it was int. grounding also. I think the ref considered #4 as in the area. It was int. grounding for sure.

The shadow at the 35 yard line is a Cuse WR breaking

Oct 2, 2018, 8:09 AM

back towards the ball.

#4 is a RB.. Eligible receiver.***

Oct 2, 2018, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Intentional Grounding? ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"To hell with the best team winning, I want us to win!"- Frank Howard

It doesn't look like intentional grounding if you watch it

Oct 2, 2018, 8:08 AM

live. In the literal sense it's clearly intentional grounding, but it's not by rule. He throws it straight towards a receiver but the ball only made it halfway there because he was going to the ground with Xavier Thomas on his back when he released it.

Oct 2, 2018, 8:21 AM

#4 is an eligible receiver.

I think their justification was the proximity of #4 to the

Oct 2, 2018, 8:32 AM

ball while the ball was in flight, not where it hit the ground.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There was one earlier in the game on their long TD drive....

Oct 2, 2018, 8:32 AM

Happened close to the goal line....not called...they eventually scored.
Wanted to see a replay of it, but I remember thinking that there was no one anywhere near and he was definitely in the pocket

Re: There was one earlier in the game on their long TD drive....

Oct 2, 2018, 9:15 AM

Yes, I saw that one. Wilkins had Dungey very close to the goal line. That one might be even more obvious, but in both cases Dungey was NOT outside the tackle box and I could not tell who the intended receiver was.

NOTE - I made the effort to actually look up the NCAA football rules. The NCAA rules DO NOT MENTION ANYTHING about the ball must reach the line of scrimmage. That’s an NFL rule. I haven’t found the definition of “receiver in the area”. On Saturday the rule appeared to be “receiver in the area code”.

The ball doesn't have to cross the line of scrimmage if

Oct 2, 2018, 10:06 AM

there's an eligible receiver in the area. If there is no eligible receiver the ball must cross the LOS and the QB must be outside the tackle box.

Rule 7 - Section 3 - Article 2

Oct 2, 2018, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: There was one earlier in the game on their long TD drive.... ]

SECTION 3. Forward Pass

Legal Forward Pass
ARTICLE 1.
Team A may make one forward pass during each scrimmage down before team possession changes, provided the pass is thrown from a point in or behind the neutral zone.

Illegal Forward Pass
ARTICLE 2.
A forward pass is illegal if:
a. It is thrown by a Team A player whose entire body is beyond the neutral zone when he releases the ball.
b. It is thrown by a Team B player.
c. It is thrown after team possession has changed during the down.
d. It is the second forward pass during the same down.
e. It is thrown from in or behind the neutral zone after a ball carrier’s entire body and the ball have been beyond the neutral zone.

PENALTY [a-e]—Five yards from the spot of the foul; also loss of down if by Team A before team possession changes during a scrimmage down (A.R. 3-4-3-IV and A.R. 7-3-2-II) [S35 and S9].

f. The passer to conserve time throws the ball directly to the ground (1) after the ball has already touched the ground; or (2) not immediately after controlling the ball.
g. The passer to conserve time throws the ball forward into an area where there is no eligible Team A receiver (A.R. 7-3-2-II-VII).
h. The passer to conserve yardage throws the ball forward into an area where there is no eligible Team A receiver (A.R. 7-3-2-I).

[Exception: It is not a foul if the passer is or has been outside the tackle box and throws the ball so that it crosses or lands beyond the neutral zone or neutral zone extended (Rule 2-19-3) (A.R. 7-3-2-VIII-X). This applies only to the player who controls the snap or the resulting backward pass and does not relinquish possession to another player before throwing the forward pass.]

PENALTY [f-h]—Loss of down at the spot of the foul [S36 and S9].

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FB18.pdf

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, this is the definition of intentional grounding.

Oct 2, 2018, 1:59 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0kktcUeKE0

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic