Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Installing a bathroom vent fan...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 488

Installing a bathroom vent fan...

Feb 3, 2019, 5:28 PM

So I’ve got the fan installed, everything works/looks great. Now I’ve attached a flexible foil pipe to direct the air to the soffit. That’s where I stopped. The previous homeowners had the old fan just blowing into the attic. Can I just leave the pipe, faced down (weighted from an unused adjustable clamp), on the soffit OR do I have to install one of those fancy soffit exhaust outlets with the flaps? The soffit already has those little perforations so it’s basically like a screen...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Installing a bathroom vent fan...

Feb 3, 2019, 5:29 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can’t tell if this is because my question

Feb 3, 2019, 5:34 PM

Or my ingenious solution...

Maybe both???

Seems like venting to the soffit will not change the fact

Feb 3, 2019, 5:33 PM

that the warm/moist air will just go back in the attic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some discussion of the topic

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/13508/can-i-vent-a-bathroom-through-the-soffit-if-i-use-a-product-designed-for-it

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duct tape to soffit area***

Flex seal.***

Feb 3, 2019, 5:35 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 much engineering!***

Feb 3, 2019, 5:36 PM

should be ok if you put one of these in too

Feb 3, 2019, 6:10 PM

https://buymbs.com/p-4207-natural-light-solar-attic-fan-system.aspx

Sell the house — it’s F’ed up now that you have attempted

Feb 3, 2019, 6:13 PM

Home improvements / repairs beyond your capability.

Seriously - direct to gable vent if nearby. Best to vent directly to a roof vent when repairing or installation new roof.

Soffit venting should be OK but would try to seal somehow to avoid short circuiting.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’ve surpassed the average males capabilities

Feb 3, 2019, 10:33 PM

when it comes to home improvement. I’m practically the Greek god of home improvement now. Tim Allen would be cast as me if Hollywood made a movie of my life.

If you have a ridge vent it doesn't matter.

Feb 3, 2019, 6:18 PM

I like venting to exterior but it's not necessary, imo. I'm doubting there will be enough moisture to do harm to anything in an attic space. In the summer the attic will be hot enough to prevent much condensation and in the winter the heat will carry the moisture out through the upper vents. Most people just like to cover the toilet sounds with power vents but they will keep your bathroom dry. I recommend leaving them running until the sweat on the shower is gone. It helps with cleaning and prevents buildup on critters too.

If your dump is strong enough to penetrate sheetrock you probably should take a 5gal bucket and go out back. Take a lid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Installing a bathroom vent fan...

Feb 4, 2019, 11:06 AM

Every time you change directions on the exhaust duct, you are reducing the drawing ability of the fan significantly.

You can probably find a calculator online, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's down to 50% of rated with 2 90 degree turns.

If the fan still works well enough for you, that is fine.

If not, vent through the roof.

If you don't want to do that now but ever have the roof replaced, have them add a vent over every bathroom.

Since you can access your attic, consider an inline fan near the exhaust point as it will be quieter and is higher powered than the fans that are installed in the ceiling.

Fantech makes nice ones but you can find cheap ones on ebay.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Install a damper in the soffit

Feb 4, 2019, 11:18 AM

leaving the hose in the attic is putting the moisture in the attic so not much better than before. If you leave it hanging in the soffit you can have condensation issues

I went with option 2

Feb 4, 2019, 12:43 PM

It's been a few years and no signs of any issues.

1. Cheap
2. Fast
3. Good enough not to cause a problem.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Replies: 14
| visibility 488
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic