Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Info wanted from Va Tech Fans
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 4,044

Info wanted from Va Tech Fans

Sep 18, 2017, 4:53 PM

Couple of questions for any Va Tech fans on here...

1. If Gameday does come to Blacksburg, where do they set up?
2. What's the best parking lot with "area parking" for tailgating so that I can buy two passes and get two cars side by side? I don't want numbered spaces unless I luck up and get two spaces beside each other.
3. What's the bar scene like for Friday night? We are coming up Thursday to make a long weekend, and with it being a 8 pm kickoff, we'll have plenty of time to get over our hangovers...

Good luck with Old Dominion. Hope to face an undefeated Hokie team. And yes, it's hard not to look beyond this weeks games for all of us......

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Info wanted from Va Tech Fans

Sep 18, 2017, 5:07 PM

Bring your knuckles, those boys talk A LOT of ####. Its a mix of local necks and DC/Yankee student types.

Sep 18, 2017, 5:32 PM

In my 40+ years of going to ballgames, I've never had to fight at a tailgate or ballgame of any type. I've found if you go into it looking to have fun, you probably will. If you go in looking for a fight, you can probably find that too.

Im a Clemson Tiger but went to Va tech for 4 years as well and had season tickets while there

Sep 18, 2017, 5:19 PM

1. Not sure, don't remember Gameday coming over those 4 years
2. There is a large public lot on corner of Prices Fork and W campus drive we parked at a lot for games that is right on campus and not too far from downtown. Also RV lot near airport has good tailgate setups and public.
3. Friday night will be a lot of fun. Downtown is adjacent to campus like Clemson, slightly more bars bc bigger town and bigger student body. Top of the Stairs (TOTS) is fun, Hokie House just a few. If coming up Thursday 20 minutes north in Giles County, VA is great kayak rentals on New River, very nice easy hike to one of largest waterfalls on east coast at Cascade Falls, and one of my favorite restaurants in the world, Palasades in tiny Eggleston, VA.

Va Tech tailgating is pretty fun, not Clemson but probably second best in ACC, similar to what I experienced at Auburn game last year. Lots of ppl including females wear jerseys which is def different then your true south tailgating.

Re: Im a Clemson Tiger but went to Va tech for 4 years as well and had season tickets while there

Sep 18, 2017, 6:03 PM

For starters. Stay in Roanoke.

Re: Im a Clemson Tiger but went to Va tech for 4 years as well and had season tickets while there

Sep 19, 2017, 12:23 PM

VRBO in Christiansburg. Had a local friend scope out the house.

Sep 18, 2017, 9:54 PM

> Couple of questions for any Va Tech fans on here...
>
> 1. If Gameday does come to Blacksburg, where do they
> set up?
> 2. What's the best parking lot with "area parking"
> for tailgating so that I can buy two passes and get
> two cars side by side? I don't want numbered spaces
> unless I luck up and get two spaces beside each
> other.
> 3. What's the bar scene like for Friday night? We
> are coming up Thursday to make a long weekend, and
> with it being a 8 pm kickoff, we'll have plenty of
> time to get over our hangovers...
>
>
> Good luck with Old Dominion. Hope to face an
> undefeated Hokie team. And yes, it's hard not to
> look beyond this weeks games for all of us......

1. GameDay has set up in at least 4 different locations in the past...so we are wondering the same. For some reason, I think they pick an entirely new spot this time, but that's just a random gut feeling.

2. Best bet for the parking you are looking for is likely West Campus Drive/Prices Fork public lot. Those are first-come, first-served and you could drive in/park two cars side by side...spaces aren't numbered. It's also not a terribly long walk from there to the stadium and if you walk, along the way you will pass the Duck Pond and Drillfield (including the 4/16 memorial in front of Burruss Hall, which I would recommend stopping by at some point during your visit). I'm sure there is also a shuttle from the lot to the stadium.

3. Bar scene will be crazy fun Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Bars downtown include Top Of The Stairs (commonly referred to as TOTS...and where you should go and order a Rail for the full Blacksburg experience)....Hokie House, Sharkey's, Big Al's, Boudreauxs, PKs, London Underground, RiverMill, Champs, The Cellar (go downstairs unless you are eating there...then upstairs) and Blacksburg TapHouse. There's also a Mellow Mushroom...and one of my favorite downtown restaurants is Cabo Fish Taco...highly recommend it. Souvlaki is also a great local Greek place for a quick bite that's been around forever (and they have the VT football graveyard in the window).

All of those are right downtown (w/in a few blocks). Lots of outdoor seating options as well...and I wouldn't be shocked if Blacksburg closes College Ave on Friday night to create a beer garden in part of downtown...it's happened before on big game weekends and is a lot of fun.

Other random restaurant recommendations...
Just up Main Street (to the South): Leftys is a GREAT local restaurant and brews their own beer...Bull and Bones is another popular choice for wings and locally brewed beer.

Macados is a very popular local restaurant with great sandwiches (located at University Mall, near the public parking on Prices Fork Rd).

Carol Lee Donuts on N Main St would be well worth your time one morning...just trust me. Cash only.

Primary unsolicited advice...just don't miss Enter Sandman. Get in your seat early.

Hope you have a great visit to Blacksburg. I'll try to check back periodically, so feel free to throw out any other questions and I'll do my best.

Sep 19, 2017, 12:22 PM

Thanks a lot for the excellent info. My first time to Blacksburg, so we are looking forward to it.

Good stuff. Thanks for advice.

Sep 19, 2017, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Info wanted from Va Tech Fans ]

I hope you find your time on here to be worthwhile.

But it can be somewhat dicey to say the least!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2017, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Info wanted from Va Tech Fans ]

Great info. This should be turned into a Tigernet article. Maybe reach out to David Hood and see if he or you want to take this info and add a little and polish it up to turn it into a guide to Blacksburg for travelling fans. Would be good to have something like this for each away game if possible.

Replies: 9
| visibility 4,044
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic