Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hutson Mason: Beyond The Numbers (Breakdown/Long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Hutson Mason: Beyond The Numbers (Breakdown/Long)

Aug 19, 2014, 2:41 AM

Since I keep hearing about how well Mason did from UGA fans in his starts, I decided to try and break him down.

I decided to mark down all of his passes from the GT game. The categories are:

5 Yards or Less

6-10 Yards

11-20 Yards

20 Yards or More

The other thing I did was actually mark down how far Mason threw the ball, then I added how many yards the play ended up going for. Essentially, I broke it down to how many yards he actually threw for, and how many were YAC.

Here's what I found:

First Half:

Passes 5 yards or less (Screens are behind LOS): 1 (bubble screen turned into a 10 yard gain) 2( Screen for 2 yards) 3 (Screen pass for 13) 4 (5 yard pass incomplete) 5 (5 yard pass, goes for 13) 6 (4 yard pass to Gurley, goes for 9, Touchdown)= 5/6, 83.3 percent, 1 TD

Passes 6-10 yards: 1 (Throws 10 yards, goes for 12)= 1/1, 100%

Passes 11-20 yards: 1 (12 yard pass incomplete) 2 (Throws 11 yards off his back foot, picked) 3 (Throws 13 yards, goes for 17) 4(14 yard pass incomplete) 5(Throws 12 yards, goes for 15) 6(Throws 13 yards, goes for 19)= 3/6, 50%

Passes 20 yards or more:

TOTAL= 9/13, 69 percent, 1 TD/ 1 Pick

Second Half-

Passes 5 yards or less (Screens are behind LOS): 1 (4 yard pass, goes for 6) 2 (4 yard pass incomplete) 3 (Screen pass for 8) 4 (Screen, incomplete) 5 (Screen pass, goes for 11) 6 (Screen incomplete) 7 (2 yard pass incomplete)= 3/7, 42.8%

Passes 6-10 yards: 1 (9 yard pass for a Touchdown) 2(6 yard pass complete)= 2/2, 100%, 1 TD

Passes 11-20 yards: 1 (19 yard pass incomplete) 2 (13 yard pass complete) 3 (18 yard pass incomplete) 4 (14 yard pass complete) 5 (12 yard pass complete) 6 (12 yard pass incomplete) 7 (14 yard pass incomplete) 8 (11 yard pass complete) 9(9 yard pass complete) 10(12 yard pass, goes for 21) 11(12 yard pass incomplete)= 6/11, 54.5%

Passes 20 yards or more: 1 (31 yard pass complete) 2 (25 yard pass incomplete) 3 (33 yard pass complete)= 2/3, 66.6%

TOTAL= 13/23, 56.5%, 1 TD

OVERALL TOTAL= 22/36, 61.1%, 299 yards, 2TD/1 pick.

Now, I also did an adjusted total. That is, I took out the YAC to see what it would look like. I also completely eliminated screens that were behind the LOS.

Adjusted Totals Minus Screens: 17/26, 65.3 percent, 211 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT (TD To Gurley Not Included as it was YAC)

You can see his percentage actually goes up, as some of the screens were dropped. However, his yardage also drops significantly, and he loses a TD as Gurley turned a 4 yard pass into a 9 yard TD.

Now, it was only one game. I admit, I haven't had time to watch the Nebraska game. Maybe he did significantly better in that game. But here's my pros and cons for Mason.

Pros:
1. The first thing that stood out to me was his mobility. IMO, he's faster than Murray. He's not Manziel, but he turned some broken plays into pretty decent yardage.

2. He's pretty accurate from about 5-15 yards. He could drop it in or bullet it through a window in that range.

3. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes. He doesn't force a lot of passes, and will hit his checkdown (which he did with Gurley a lot). HOWEVER...

Cons:

1. He didn't seem to handle pressure that well. The interception that he threw was awful. A defender for GT broke free and got in his face, and he lobbed it up for grabs off his back foot. Very bad decision. He also heard footsteps when no one was around quite a few times and would take off when it wasn't needed. When GT got to him, he got flustered and didn't make great decisions.

2. His pocket presence needs work. Almost every sack could have been avoided had he stepped up into the pocket away from the rush. Too often, he stepped backwards or just froze and ate it.

3. His accuracy beyond 15 yards is not great. A good bit of both over and underthrows. And some of them that were caught were great plays by the receivers, not necessarily good throws. Not that he didn't have any good throws beyond 15 yards, but it was very inconsistent.

My final thoughts, again, purely from this game, are that Mason is not as bad as I thought he was. With that said, he's not Aaron Murray either. He did a lot of good work off of playaction, which Bobo loves, so that could be a concern. However, I wouldn't be too worried about getting burned by him like I would be with Murray at the helm.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hutson Mason: Beyond The Numbers (Breakdown/Long)

Aug 19, 2014, 2:50 AM

Sounds like a lot of what I thought when I first looked at his two games as a starter. I would add that his footwork did not seem very good to me. He was great at the timing throws off 3 step drops and the like but if he had to stand in the pocket and got moved off of his spot then he ended up scrambling more often than not. I would hope that we have the confidence at corner to jam receivers and disrupt those west coast offense type throws. I also wasn't very impressed with his touch passes. Seemed like most of his better looking completions were underneath the defenses and on a line.

We actually jammed their WRs pretty well last year

Aug 19, 2014, 8:09 AM

and with Mitchell and Wesely unlikely to play I'd stack the box, play M2M on their WRs and dare Mason to beat us through the air with our DL breathing in his face.

LBs need to stay tuned for the screens and delays to RBs***

Aug 19, 2014, 8:12 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We actually jammed their WRs pretty well last year

Aug 19, 2014, 3:14 PM [ in reply to We actually jammed their WRs pretty well last year ]

UGA's best receivers are actually Bennett and Conley, who ARE playing next week.

Mitchell has the most talent and JSW did some good things the first half of the season he played.

Aug 19, 2014, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Hutson Mason: Beyond The Numbers (Breakdown/Long) ]

Agree. There were a ton of quick throws in the GT game, and GT didn't have the personnel to man up and press to stop it. I think we do.

I agree. Kind of stiff last year and not good with pressure

Aug 19, 2014, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Hutson Mason: Beyond The Numbers (Breakdown/Long) ]

At least in the portions of 2 games I saw. The Nebraska game he looked like he had a hard time making decisions once the play was active for 5 or so seconds. Kind of like the play didn't come off as planned and he lacked confidence.

I've heard others say he doesn't play with confidence, too. But he has some games under his belt and another off season of development. We'll see if we get the Gator Bowl Mason or a new one.

I'll watch the Nebraska game tonight to see if there's

Aug 19, 2014, 1:38 PM

any difference.

Aug 19, 2014, 1:47 PM

Georgia fan here, what I saw from Mason last year was nerves. He seemed to start off games very timid, bad foot work, real antsy in the pocket. Once, the games were on the line and he had to complete passes he did, almost like he couldn't perform unless his back was up against the wall. He brought us back in the 2nd half at Tech and would have brought us back against Nebraska if not for 4 drops by senior receivers and TE on the last drive. One of those drops being on the 4 with a few seconds remaining. I think he will be a step down from Murray but should be able to make all the throws. They never let him air it out last year. The Neb. game is kind of a wash as it was played in a monsoon.

Aug 19, 2014, 2:00 PM

Obviously I'm going off a small sample size with the GT game. There's a lot of time for improvement in the offseason and things could be totally different for the Clemson game. But since the GT and Nebraska games are the only film we have, I figured, why not try and get a gauge on him?

He certainly made some big throws down the stretch against GT. At the same time...GT wasn't very good. Mason will almost certainly be improved (or UGA fans would hope), but Clemson's defense is a whole different animal. Mason and UGA can't afford to start slow.

Aug 19, 2014, 2:08 PM

Here is the Nebraska game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXFdWNoItgs

Excellent. I don't have to watch 2 hours of game film.

Aug 19, 2014, 2:11 PM

TU.

Re: Excellent. I don't have to watch 2 hours of game film.

Aug 19, 2014, 2:48 PM

Its 10 minutes.

Indeed. Hence why I thanked you.***

Aug 19, 2014, 2:49 PM

Re: Indeed. Hence why I thanked you.***

Aug 19, 2014, 3:21 PM

My bad. I cant read. I was coming off a heated troll thread and didnt have my wits about me.

Aug 19, 2014, 3:36 PM

Good write-up man.

Appreciate it. I tried to be as objective as possible.

Aug 19, 2014, 3:38 PM

And of course, it's with limited game footage.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic