Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When talking CBB recruiting, remember 1/2 are transfers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

When talking CBB recruiting, remember 1/2 are transfers

Feb 17, 2019, 7:55 AM

6 of 12 scholarship players (not counting Lyles...sorry Lyles) are transfers. I guess we can keep getting mid-major transfers or power 5 players buried on their depth chart, but it's no way to build a successful program.

Next year is when we will see what CBB recruiting has been able to do when his 4 5th year seniors (all transfers) move on.

I also want to address the narrative that we were two plays away from winning both games this week. Even if the ball bounced our way and we got those wins, the team still looked awful on offense for most of the game. They can win and still look bad. When they take the L, the pitiful offensive play is even more glaring.

This team is 279th in 3-pt% defense and 294th in 3-pt% offense. Hard to win in today's college basketball with those stats.

This team should pound the ball inside to Thomas every time down the court. He's shooting 66% on the year. That should be option 1, 2, and 3 when he's not on the bench b/c of foul trouble.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Motion offense always needs shooters

Feb 17, 2019, 8:18 AM

He tends to recruit defense first so his offenses will always stink imo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The other side of th coin is that we have had guys transfer out too...

Feb 17, 2019, 8:35 AM

AJ Oliver being the most recent example.
Legend Robertin, Ty Hudson, Patrick Rooks, Scott Spencer, Austin Ajukwa all left in recent years. That’s a concern no matter how you interpret it.

Re: The other side of th coin is that we have had guys transfer out too...

Feb 17, 2019, 8:38 AM

Not really. Almost all of them sucked. I think Brad is starting recruit better, where that won't be as big of an issue moving forward.

Yeah...the problem is those were his recruits..

Feb 17, 2019, 2:52 PM

If that’s how you look at it.
That list only goes back 3 or 4 years....that’s a lot of misses.
And I’m not sure we’re out of the transfer business yet.
I support the current coach as long as he coaches Clemson...but that’s still a concern.

Re: When talking CBB recruiting, remember 1/2 are transfers

Feb 17, 2019, 8:37 AM

I love the transfers we get. I love that approach of getting transfers and players out of HS too. We got some really good transfers. I wish Thomas had another year.

Feb 17, 2019, 9:07 AM

Not knowledgeable enough to debate you on coaching philosophy but I’m with you on the numbers. When you recruit to play defense, that’s fine but opponents 3’s have hurt us winning games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2019, 9:22 AM

3's have K I L L E D us at the end of games with a small lead and lose by 3 point shooting from our opponents OR, our best free throw shooters C H O K E on the free throw line! ! ! ! ! !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Transfers are a big part of college basketball now.

Feb 17, 2019, 9:21 AM

Getting transfers into our program doesn’t signal a problem, and losing transfers to other programs doesn’t either.

It’s hard to criticize Brownell getting transfers like Thomas, Reed, and Mitchell. They are all very good players
who were keys to our Sweet 16 team last year. They’ve won a lot of games over the past few years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Agreed. It doesn't matter how we get players. You can build

Feb 17, 2019, 2:57 PM

a winning program by bringing is transfers.

The OP was incorrect is saying it's not a way to build a program.

In year 9, this is his most talented and experienced team.

Feb 17, 2019, 9:33 AM

This should be his best team. Surprising how inconsistent they have been with four 5th-year seniors. We should own the end of games. But, we don't. Not getting anything much from his latest recruits either.

His defensive coaching ability is overrated. We've not been a good defensive team but maybe 2 years that he has been here.

After 9 years, we know what we have.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In year 9, this is his most talented and experienced team.

Feb 17, 2019, 10:09 AM

So P L E A S E give me the name of a coach Clemson can hire and move the program. And please don't come back with some mid-major or assistant coach. If you run off Brad Brownell we need a big name coach to draw recruits and already has a proven track record in the Power 5 conferences.

Feb 17, 2019, 10:22 AM

There are 100's of head coaches and assistants. Our AD doesn't even know who we could hire. That's why they interview each other.

It is clear some folks are fine with state of Clemson basketball

Feb 17, 2019, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Re: In year 9, this is his most talented and experienced team. ]

To answer your question; we do not have to go get a ‘big name’ coach and pay $$$$$.

Fine a coach on a good staff who is hungry for the next step and want to be great. I really feel Brad made his move with the transfers because he was feeling the heat. Contract extension...oh well, I’m good.

This is my last post criticizing CBB. I will wait to see what happens over the next few years. On to baseball, WBB and spring practice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is clear some folks are fine with state of Clemson basketball

Feb 17, 2019, 10:42 AM

There are not 100's of coaches who can move the program forward. That attitude has been the problem with past firings and hirings. And for just hiring an assistant coach from another staff will start a 5 year rebuild program.
The ONLY hope for a quick turn around is to hire a big name that can recruit the 4 & 5* players.
So I go back to my original question;

Give me a NAME of a coach Clemson CAN hire that will move the program forward. This is not an open ended question, I am looking for a specific name.

Re: It is clear some folks are fine with state of Clemson basketball

Feb 17, 2019, 11:31 AM

WHy kind of idiot question is that? Nobody knows who the exact options are. There are 100's to interview. There are 100's of options. Some of them can move a program forward. The AD figures that out. Just like how he went with Dabo over Bowden or another proven coach. I am fine with CBB and I want to see what he does over the next 2 years, but to think what he does can't be matched is idiocy.

"5 year rebuild program" ??

Feb 17, 2019, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Re: It is clear some folks are fine with state of Clemson basketball ]

Bullshyatt.

Feb 17, 2019, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Re: In year 9, this is his most talented and experienced team. ]

here is your name: PAT KELSEY from Winthrop. I think he would be the "Dabo" for our basketball program.

https://winthropeagles.com/coaches.aspx?rc=938&path=mbball

Feb 17, 2019, 11:07 AM

So hire another Mid-Major coach, who is not proven at the power 5 level. Just another hire from the Brad Brownell cut of cloth.

Need power 5 coach to turn this around.

Dumb response

Feb 17, 2019, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: In year 9, this is his most talented and experienced team. ]

“Big name coaches” start out as normal guys who go on to distinguish themselves. With your mindset we’d still have Tommy Bowden coaching football at Clemson.

We can find a better coach than Brad Brownell. The fact that the team that went to the sweet sixteen last year will not even make the tournament this year tells you all we need to know.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. If we don't make the tournament with this team in yr

Feb 17, 2019, 2:59 PM [ in reply to In year 9, this is his most talented and experienced team. ]

9, then its time to make a change. Like you said, we know what we have, and hoping for better next year is not being objective about it.

Feb 17, 2019, 12:17 PM

I only wonder why we don't recruit European players more. There has got to be a few 3 point shooters that Gonzaga has missed on! We sure don't get them from here in the States!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In one sentence, what is your point?***

Feb 17, 2019, 2:54 PM

Feb 17, 2019, 6:02 PM

The old saying-" a team reflects the personality of it's coach" is dead on in regard to Brownell. No discipline( poor shooters should not be allowed to take threes). BB wants to keep everybody happy. Doing what it takes to win(especially at crunch time) is secondary. We obviously don't practice foul shooting enough(poor fundamentals). He is an excuse maker(Bowdenesque) and an hand holding enabler. We have good kids but they are not mentally or physically tough enough to compete at this level. What it comes down to: mediocrity. The product results(?)- very poor attendance. Nothing will change because we have an athletic director who overly compensated for this mediocrity. If you are willing to spend some 40+ million on an arena, you should be willing to go after a big time coach. I think all Clemson fans can well agree that great coaching is what fundamentally makes the difference between losing and winning.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic