Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In defense of our players...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

In defense of our players...

Sep 24, 2013, 2:59 PM

I think fans have unrealistic expectations of nearly all aspects of their own programs. Whether it be wins, or yards given up on defense or whatever. Sometimes we forget that there are other programs who also expect to win. Losing doesn't always mean we are failing, it could simply mean someone else did a better job. It would be a false dichotomy to assume that losing a game represents a bad job, when it is possible that two teams could do very well, and one just have some breaks go their way, or they did just a tony bit better.

Recently, unrealistic expectations have centered around two players, Isaiah Battle and and Martavis Bryant. If many of our fans simply believed that it's good for players to follow the rules, and also that its good when players who break the rules be punished, according to the rules, then I think that would be great. I agree with that wholeheartedly. But that is not what is going on with a lot of people. What is being added to this equation by many people on Tigernet is taking it further and making moral judgments of people. This is being done by bringing in the awkward concepts of "good" and "bad" or "classy" or not. Players are being unfairly insulted and having their characters under public attack. This is wrong in my opinion.

Isaiah Battle has been described as "classless" "thuggish" "cowardly" and other similar adjectives by several people. Now to me, using these words makes the poster look like an idiot. Everyone agrees that violence is a part of the game. Everyone agrees also that it is merely a technicality that certain types of violence are legal and other are not when looking at different sports. What some people seem to be missing is that technicalities are not the basis of morals or "class" or or anything like that. Some of you should look at the actual rule regarding fighting.

ARTICLE 1. Fighting is any attempt by a player, coach or squad member in uniform to strike an opponent in a combative manner unrelated to football. Such acts include, but are not limited to: a. An attempt to strike an opponent with the arm(s), hand(s), leg(s) or foot (feet), whether or not there is contact.
b. An unsportsmanlike act toward an opponent that causes any opponent to retaliate by fighting (Rules 9-2-1 and 9-5-1-a-c).

Battle is obviously guilty of A, but the NC State player, who instigated and threw the first blow, is guilty of A and B. The ONLY reason so many people are freaking out over Battle is because Battle is much bigger and he has great punching form. The NC State player also took a dive which made it look more dramatic. This scenario does not at all fit with the words thrown at Battle that he is "thuggish" or "cowardly." The concept of "Thuggish" comes to the English language by way of colonial India and refers to thieves and muggers. Of course most people slinging that word at Battle are likely unaware of the actual meaning of most words, but it is ridiculous to use such a word about a man who punched another man who deserved it.

In the moral realm, Battle did nothing wrong. Again, he punched a person who deserved it. In the sports realm, Battle made an error in judgment that he should be disciplined for. But all you idiots trying to make it some moral issue need to fix the problems in your own lives rather than try and convict one of our players of some moral transgression. He made a sports mistake. It's that simple.

As for Martavis and the hand gesture controversy. Here are the rules regarding celebration or unsportsmanlike penalties.

Specifically prohibited acts and conduct include:
1. No player, substitute, coach or other person subject to the rules shall use abusive, threatening or obscene language or gestures, or engage in such acts that provoke ill will or are demeaning to an opponent, to game officials or to the image of the game, including but not limited to:
(a) Pointing the finger(s), hand(s), arm(s) or ball at an opponent, or imitating the slashing of the throat.
(b) Taunting, baiting or ridiculing an opponent verbally.
(c) Inciting an opponent or spectators in any other way, such as simulating the firing of a weapon or placing a hand by the ear to request recognition.
(d) Any delayed, excessive, prolonged or choreographed act by which a player (or players) attempts to focus attention upon himself (or themselves).
(e) An unopposed ball carrier obviously altering stride as he approaches the opponent’s goal line or diving into the end zone.
(f) A player removing his helmet after the ball is dead and before he is in the team area (Exceptions: Team, media or injury timeouts; equipment adjustment; through play; between periods; and during a measurement for a first down).
(g) Punching one’s own chest or crossing one’s arms in front of the chest while standing over a prone player.
(h) Going into the stands to interact with spectators, or bowing at the waist after a good play.
(i) Intentionally removing the helmet while the ball is alive.

Unless you are going to declare that all these things are equally "classless" then you are a hypocrite for saying what Martavis did was classless. That means Derrick Hamilton was "classless" for hugging the fan in 2003 after the huge TD against FSU. That means that Dwayne Allen was "classless" for saluting troops on military appreciation day because its against the SAME rule.
That means that flashing the "U" sign at Miami after the game was "classless." I say none of them are classless, they are just silly errors that hurt the football team, like busted coverage or holding, or a block in the back. They should be football disciplined, and not chave their character insulted on Tigernet.

This is why Tigernet is full of hypocrites. Some of you are LOOKING for ways to judge others and are not consistent with your judgments. Certain acts you can accept, and certain acts you won't. But the difference is not morality, or the actual rules. It's simply your taste and preferences in human behavior. I say it is "classless" to publicly judge Clemson players on this message board with inconsistent parameters.

Flame away.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the rules don't capture what is good or bad but we

Sep 24, 2013, 3:11 PM

understand it on another level. It is neither good or bad to help or not help a woman by holding the door open for them, or it is neither good or bad to cheer up someone when they are down, etc. etc. But we know what is right.

Saluting the crowd in a moment of happiness is different than using a sign to indicate cutting your opponent's neck. We can spot the difference a mile away.

But it is more about the defense for these coaches because they understand these are young men and teaching them both the things written into rules as well as the other stuff is why this staff is so good.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you suggesting throat slashing gestures are....

Sep 24, 2013, 3:23 PM

inherently immoral?

Because that seems silly to me.

Tell me what they mean? What does slashing a throat mean?

Sep 24, 2013, 3:35 PM

How about shooting a bird? What is behind the gesture. Enlighten me.

Is it a celebration with team mates and your fans? Or is it an visual attack on your opponent?

Give me a good explanation and also tell me what the coaches believed and why this minor issue being blown up here on Tigernet mattered to them? Thanks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Throat slashing after another gesture is saying that...

Sep 24, 2013, 3:42 PM

"we just bested you, thus killing the significance of your gesture." For instance, when an alabama player did the money sign and then a throat slash, he was saying, "we are better than you, and your gesture is now defeated."

Why... did you think it meant that he wants to murder people?

Shooting someone the bird is the gesture equivalent of saying "Eff you," which is a way to express disgust or dislike for person or their actions. My wife and I flick each other off all the time sarcastically. People have to create meaning in order to be offended by something like a particular finger.

My whole point is there is nothing actually immoral about the gesture, so people making it a moral issue are misguided.

You seem to be mixing my point with another point altogether with your last sentence. I'm not saying the players should not be football disciplined. I'm saying the players should not have their characters questioned, and that anyone who makes is a "class" or "moral" issue is confused about the world.

to me, and maybe i'm a dinosaur here....

Sep 24, 2013, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Tell me what they mean? What does slashing a throat mean? ]

the throat slashing, the DJ Swearinger posing crap, the "money" gesture, are all "look at me, i'm a badass" individual stuff....a sign of the "me" times we're in. I can remember back in the '80's when Jeff Bryant, The JUDGE, Andy Headen, etc., would do the crossed arms skull and cross bones gesture and i LOVED that. It always came after a defensive big hit or stop on 3d down and it had an air of a defensive team's mindset to it. It is hard to put into words but i view that different because it was like Headen and the boys were making a team gesture compared to an individual gesture. I think that we have gotten used to the individual stuff in recent years and a lot of folks are just sick of it because of the lack of respect aspect that it signifies overall.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I totally agree with you.

Sep 24, 2013, 3:54 PM

I don't like overtly attention whoring gestures either. They are obnoxious to me personally. I'm glad they are banned. But I don't think Martavis' throat slashing was overt (he did it very quickly and not demonstratively) or was it intentionally drawing attention to himself.

It was the physical equivalent of talking trash. Which most of us find acceptable. As long as its verbal... acceptable... but if its visual... classless. God help any deaf football players.

Re: In defense of our players...

Sep 24, 2013, 3:18 PM

So if it's OK to take these actions, why then is the coaching staff letting them sit for a spell and think about their actions while their team mates play against Wake Forest and why are the rules so very specific? It's better to remember that these are children in very large bodies whose minds are not yet mature and they therefore make "classless" mistakes! However a mistake is a mistake and they must therefore pay the price of their actions!

Is this a response to my post?

Sep 24, 2013, 3:25 PM

Your post doesn't make any sense as a response to mine. I never said "it's OK to take these actions"

Are you really comparing....

Sep 24, 2013, 3:18 PM

a salute to the troops on Military Appreciation Day to a throat slashing jesture?

Talk about inconsistent parameters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Are you not realizing the NCAA compares the two?

Sep 24, 2013, 3:21 PM

Many people are basing their criticism of the throat slashing on the fact it is a penalty and hurts the team.

Are you personally offended by throat slashing gestures or are you upset he did that because its against the rules?

The difference is....

Sep 24, 2013, 3:59 PM

the intent and the spirit of the rule. One should have been called and we were lucky it wasn't. The other should not under any circumstancers have been called.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you notice how you just sorta made a declaration

Sep 24, 2013, 4:03 PM

that included assumptions but didn't really justify it or back it up with reason?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but how are people supposed to understand each other if they both just declare things arbitrarily? That leaves no room for learning.

I may be wrong, but at least I laid out why I take the position I take.

The head of ACC officials even said....

Sep 24, 2013, 4:13 PM

the Dwayne Allen salute should not have been called.

It wasn't taunting, it wasn't unsportsmanlike, and there was no ill intent and therein lies the difference.

Personally I thought this was unrealistic as well

Sep 24, 2013, 3:25 PM

"I'm extremely disappointed if we don't stop them on every play"

Brent Venables

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here we go

Sep 24, 2013, 3:35 PM

would you say the throat slashing gesture is

Sep 24, 2013, 3:50 PM

a. shows no class

b. shows class

c. is nuetral

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

c.

Sep 24, 2013, 3:54 PM

I feel like if you read my post you would know that.

You did more to prove many people right

Sep 24, 2013, 4:01 PM

than you did to defend your position. Now I'm even more convinced that what the players did was wrong - wrong as in, they disobeyed the rules, violated the principles of the team. The coach has made it very clear his position, and is disciplining the players, as well he should.

Maybe you should send this to the coach and see what response you get.

Re: You did more to prove many people right

Sep 24, 2013, 4:07 PM

Wow. Thanks so much. You really added a lot to the discussion.

Pass,...

Sep 24, 2013, 4:06 PM

except to say most of the verbage on this entire thread is semantical smoke and mirrors. If folks are not guilty of using verbage and semantical bullchit then they shouldn't be offended.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pass,...

Sep 24, 2013, 4:09 PM

Just because you are lazy and you can't read that well, doesn't mean my post is smoke and mirrors.

Obviously I support our coaches and their decision to

Sep 24, 2013, 4:06 PM

discipline this young man. Your support is in the opposite direction and supports the young man's right to talk trash.

I think this is a tale where "East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet"

Peace.

Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic