Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Video: Wednesday's Clemson practice report
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,371

Football Update: Video: Wednesday's Clemson practice report

Aug 15, 2012, 6:18 PM

Video: Wednesday's Clemson practice report

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Video: Wednesday's Clemson practice report

Aug 15, 2012, 6:22 PM

Obviously, the video is limited and isn't a holistic depiction of the quality of the team, strengths and weaknesses, etc. So spare me the obligatory "you can't say that after watching one video" for the negative stuff.

Just what I saw. Feel free to add:

1) The open field tackling looks like night and day from last season. I see guys getting low and wrapping up.

2) Sammy Watkins is a beast, of course. Martavis, Charone, Jarone continue to look good.

3) The offensive line and defensive line look like a rugby scrum on running plays. No push up front really at all for the offensive line. When Andre can't find a whole, that's not a good thing. Also, they must have edited out Rod's big runs.

4) Stephone Anthone is in every shot when the tackle is being made. If he's not making the tackle he's near the ball. So is Rashard Hall.

5) Our defense is playing fast and with intensity. More athletic/determined than what it seemed last year. Amazing how a coaching change and a few changes in alignment/personnel can change the complexion.

6) Rashard Hall got scolded by one of the coaches when he popped Chad Kelly out of bounds after a 30 yard run down the side line. Kelly is every bit as fast as half of our receivers. I'll catch flack for saying this, but if the film is any indication, he's as fast as our fastest guys when he had the ball in his hand. Kid's athleticism is the real deal.

Man, I can't wait for 9/1.

Impressed with Kelly and HOPE he RS's......***

Aug 15, 2012, 6:38 PM

Re: Impressed with Kelly and HOPE he RS's......***

Aug 15, 2012, 6:42 PM

I agree with that. The only thing is we expected that out of the offensive lines, so no surprise to me there. Chad Kelly definitely impressed me though. This kid I thought was WAY overhyped. I'm starting to think I'm wrong and this kid is as good as advertised. (I knew he was good, just thought maybe overrated because of the last name, like so many other players). Tackling looks really good, and Stephone Anthony, like I've been saying since the first game he played in, is going to be a beast. He has the physical tools necessary to be elite, and flies to the football. SOOOO happy with the Corico move to Will (mainly because he won't be on the field).

Aug 15, 2012, 8:01 PM

Agree with most of your assessment. The OL problem is chronic, but I doubt we will not be better than we have been for about 12 years, and the rest is coming along nicely. We have the makings at hand of a great team, and the next few years should be very special for us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2012, 8:55 PM [ in reply to Impressed with Kelly and HOPE he RS's......*** ]

The question is, is he better than Deshaun Watson, assuming we can hold on to him?

Aug 15, 2012, 9:59 PM

It's hard to say.

Call me crazy. I just don't put that much faith in how good a rising junior is going to look at the college level.

I think Watson will be great. But I refuse to throw Kelly out of the equation like a lot of people are doing. He's a pretty dang good ball player in his own right.

I can't overlook Kelly for a guy who won't be here for another 2 years.

Aug 16, 2012, 4:35 AM

I do somewhat agree with not throwing away Chad Kelly, but I do think you can rate a kid as a Sophomore in HS. Look, He already has the skill set, size (Height), arm, everything else. Oh yeah, and he broke Georgia high school records for TD's and yards as a Soph! Forget everything else man, I don't care if he's 6 years old, when you're breaking yardage records and TD records as a sophomore you're good. I don't know off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure there have been some dang good QB's come out of Georgia. This kid broke their records when he was 15 or 16.....that's something

Observations:

Aug 15, 2012, 8:03 PM

1) QBs are really releasing quick. Should buy the Oline some time but I hope Tajh does a better job of checking off when needed.

2) We are going to miss Sammy against Auburn. I know we have several other great receivers and can and should win without him but the guy knows how to get open. Speed doesn't hurt either!

3) Why is Dabo wearing a baseball logo hat? I like the hat but expected to see the block C. That is my fashion observation for the season!

Re: Observations:

Aug 15, 2012, 10:15 PM

Good points.

I think it's up to the coaching staff to gameplan around not having Sammy.

I think early on, you have to just pound the ball to get the new O-line comfortable with game speed. Early on, we just have to hope our defense can keep us in it.

As the newer guys get acclimated to Auburn's pretty good D-line, I think by the 2nd quarter you have some leeway to do some creative things with the offense.

I'm not an offensive coordinator. But I'm not so sure I would have Tajh dropping back to pass in this game early and often. Take it slow and pick your battles.

Swag Kelly is going to be a beast some day

Aug 15, 2012, 11:52 PM

I've never been too high on Stoudt. He just doesn't seem to fit CM's style of offense. Chad Kelly has been impressive in what little film I've seen of him. I wouldn't be surprised if he grabbed the #2 spot, but I also wouldn't mind if he RS'd.

Anybody else notice that Sammy seemed.......

Aug 16, 2012, 12:38 AM

to be working strictly with the second team and Stoudt. Maybe it was just the video but it looked like he was working strictly with the second team. Looks like they are already trying to find his replacement for the first 2 games.

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,371
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic