Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm starting to think that Chad Morris = the Paul Johnson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

I'm starting to think that Chad Morris = the Paul Johnson

Sep 23, 2014, 1:54 PM

DISCLAIMER: (This is directed at a general overall observation of Morris' career at Clemson and not about the FSU game in particular)

of the HUNH.

At first, it couldn't be stopped. Against inferior teams it is still very effective. But against a very good DC that has tape on it, it can be stopped in it's tracks if adjustments aren't made.

Paul Johnson is very hard headed and like to do what he does no matter what. Morris seems to be the same way.

One thing Johnson has over Morris is that he is able to make good adjustments when he's willing and his play calling seems to work most times when it should. Morris doesn't seem to have a clue how to adjust when he's stumped nor does have a clue at times on play calling. We have at least 3 games a year since 2011 that I'm left wondering wt-h he was thinking.

Message was edited by: CUAtTheFinishLine®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would like to know exactly how FSU stopped us

Sep 23, 2014, 1:57 PM

I'm not saying I agree that Morris is not above reproach, but...

we missed 2 FGs

we snapped it over our head inside the 1

we fumbled on the go ahead drive inside the 30

we put up over 500 yds on the best defense in college football...

Again, there are definately issues that an OC being paid what Morris is needs to fix, but I'm not seeing your point about being stopped in our tracks (concerning Saturday's game)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: I would like to know exactly how FSU stopped us

Sep 23, 2014, 2:00 PM

I'm not speaking on the FSU game. I'm speaking in general.

FSU game just has horrible play calling. The play calling this entire season has been horrible for that matter.

Message was edited by: CUAtTheFinishLine®
I never mentioned FSU game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Talk to me about the playcalling Saturday...

Sep 23, 2014, 2:01 PM

what did you see that was bad, and why?

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: Talk to me about the playcalling Saturday...

Sep 23, 2014, 2:06 PM

Oh goodness...where do I begin

1. We snap it over the qb's head. We take a time out. It's 3rd and goal from the 25 or something like that and we run a delayed hand off.

2. 3rd and long on our own end, we run a hand off, CJ is met behind the line and luckily gets away for a 1st. Bad call that ended well.

3. 4th and inches in OT we hand the ball off in the shot gun. Shotgun isn't the problem. Play call was. Should have been a qb draw or screen.

Several others that I would have to go back and find....

i would disagree with you on all of those***

Sep 23, 2014, 2:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i would disagree with you on all of those***

Sep 23, 2014, 2:16 PM

Of course you would.

you're gonna make this easy...

Sep 23, 2014, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Talk to me about the playcalling Saturday... ]

1. That had nothing to do with playcall, period. And you know that. We run the delayed handoff b/c you are thinking we want points out of the drive, especially with the way our defense was playing. Unfortanely, we missed the FG. (btw - if the ball hadn't been snapped over DW's head, it was gonna be QB power)

2. That was a GREAT call. It was a delayed draw after a half roll, and it moved the LBs enough. CJ makes one guy miss and rolls to a 1st.

3. We can argue this one all day, but we just got beat one on one... period.

If you're gonna call out playcalling, you gotta come with more than 3 plays in a game where we put over 500 yds. up.

Re: you're gonna make this easy...

Sep 23, 2014, 2:16 PM

"1. That had nothing to do with playcall, period. And you know that. We run the delayed handoff b/c you are thinking we want points out of the drive, especially with the way our defense was playing. Unfortanely, we missed the FG. (btw - if the ball hadn't been snapped over DW's head, it was gonna be QB power)"

With the way our kicker has been kicking this season (had already missed one badly in the game) this makes the play call even more idiotic. You go for the TD PERIOD. Not like it was 4th down.

"2. That was a GREAT call. It was a delayed draw after a half roll, and it moved the LBs enough. CJ makes one guy miss and rolls to a 1st."

and 9/10 that play results in a 4th down.

"3. We can argue this one all day, but we just got beat one on one... period."

We got beat one on one because we handed it off in the shot gun and there pressure had ample time to blow it up.

"If you're gonna call out playcalling, you gotta come with more than 3 plays in a game where we put over 500 yds. up. "

Like I said, I can find more. Those are off the top of my head.

Really? You thought Saturday was poor play calling?

Sep 23, 2014, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Talk to me about the playcalling Saturday... ]

I thought they called a great game on Saturday. We lost that game because of failed execution by the players.

Re: Really? You thought Saturday was poor play calling?

Sep 23, 2014, 2:17 PM

I don't disagree with that.

Not saying we lost that game due to play calling. I never mentioned FSU game in my OP. This is a totally different argument that york brought up.

what? you can't have it both ways... you said Sat. was

Sep 23, 2014, 2:20 PM

terrible playcalling, but now you want to say that didn't lose the game for us?

Re: what? you can't have it both ways... you said Sat. was

Sep 23, 2014, 2:24 PM

I can have it both ways. They are two different things.

Play calling at times was terrible. It was Rob Spence all over again. Yes we had success. It didn't lose us the game. Bone head mistakes and a bad kicker lost us the game. Had our D not played as well as it did both would have lost us the game.

#2 was a brilliant call, IMO***

Sep 23, 2014, 8:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Talk to me about the playcalling Saturday... ]

threw the ball at the shoe tops of a receiver on an easy

Sep 23, 2014, 8:33 PM [ in reply to I would like to know exactly how FSU stopped us ]

pitch and catch. Receiver just whiffed a block on a pass in the second half that would have led to a touchdown.

I could agree with you....

Sep 23, 2014, 1:58 PM

but then we'd both be wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

This is phenomenal.

Sep 23, 2014, 2:00 PM

You starting to think. I can't wait until next week when you come to your final resolution.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is phenomenal.

Me either...

FSU didnt stop us

we were in the red zone 3 times and came away with no points. If you want to blame him for the snap, fine, but they didn't stop us. Especially being the #1 d out there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FSU didnt stop us

Sep 23, 2014, 2:02 PM

I never once mentioned the FSU game

Let me put in a disclaimer...geez

Very well coached game. Our players were put in position to

Sep 23, 2014, 2:02 PM

make plays, and the plays were there to be made. Unfortunately, our players failed to make those plays. We simply refused to win!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very well coached game. Our players were put in position to

Sep 23, 2014, 2:07 PM

There were several play calls by Morris that were idiotic to put it lightly.

I get it....but

Sep 23, 2014, 8:58 PM

I understand what you are saying and some points I agree. But then I think to myself I come up with the following...

1. Our OL are not world beaters. I think we are thin and just don't have "it". However, this OL will be strong very soon no doubt (next year if I had to make a guess).

2. We miss both Spiller and Davis. I don't think we have the backfield talent YET (give these younger guys some time even though we have experience but not talent as in years past...talent is being recruited). Gurley would have made that 1st down no doubt.

3. I feel where coaching has failed is Watson not being able to or not comfortable under center. To me that is the craziest thing I've ever read and in some way limited the play calling ability.

4. Lastly, where it concerns play calling we could make your argument for 99 percent of all OC in the entire country. We all yell our displeasure when they don't call what we feel is right. As I said, that happens in every single game regardless of school. And this offense is no where near Rob Spence predictable...

The play calling should have matched the QB who could "pull off the play"...Cole under center made sense for when we needed a QB under center for at least a play or two in the 2nd half.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we refused to win! thats new***

Sep 23, 2014, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Very well coached game. Our players were put in position to ]

Re: I'm starting to think that Chad Morris = the Paul Johnson

Sep 23, 2014, 2:03 PM

You can't be serious with this. The two situations couldn't be more different.

#1 PJ's teams are not getting worse because of DCs or people learning how he operates. They are getting worse because he cannot recruit talent to run it. If he was recruiting on the upper level no one would slow down his attack.

#2 I am willing to bet in many cases where you believe Chad has no clue the fault has come from execution. Yes Morris sometimes gets conservative or goes away from running the football but most of the time that is an adjustment to the game situation. For every time you believe that he is making a mistake there is a time it works to perfection and you don't even notice.

null

Sep 23, 2014, 2:12 PM

"#1 PJ's teams are not getting worse because of DCs or people learning how he operates. They are getting worse because he cannot recruit talent to run it. If he was recruiting on the upper level no one would slow down his attack. "

This can't be any more from the truth. GT has never recruited well.

Classes since Paul Jonhson has been there: 49th, 43rd, 41st, 57th, 85th, 47th

BV is the reason Clemson stops GT now. Johnson's offense has been solved. It's not recruiting. That's silly.

"#2 I am willing to bet in many cases where you believe Chad has no clue the fault has come from execution. Yes Morris sometimes gets conservative or goes away from running the football but most of the time that is an adjustment to the game situation. For every time you believe that he is making a mistake there is a time it works to perfection and you don't even notice. "

Sure, I never said he always called bad plays. Just seems to do so in big games vs good DC's or good Defenses.

no, no, no... you said in the orginal post that playcalling

Sep 23, 2014, 2:22 PM

has been terrible all year

no?

Johnson is 6-7, 8-5, 7-7 and 7-6 since 2010. 25 losses.

Sep 23, 2014, 2:28 PM

Morris is 10-4, 11-2, and 11-2 in his first 3 years. 10-11 wins this year seems likely as well. Paul Johnson went 7-6 in his third year and as you can see, the trend is not good.

Johnson's system is a talent killer. QBs, RBs, Olinemen and WRs don't want to play for him. Defensive players don't seem to want to play for him either.

Morris's system attracts great talent. While we lost some outstanding playmakers this past year and are depending upon young skill position players, our recruiting continues to get better. We have the best offensive line class in our history coming in and the wide receiver talent may be one of our best as well.

There really is no basis for comparison.

Chad Morris>Paul Johnson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've seen PJ make adjustments***

Sep 23, 2014, 3:48 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2014, 8:31 PM

A- Freakin-men. Not a clue. Nor a plausible excuse.

Reporter: Hey Coach Morris, first n goal from 6 inches, why are we in the shot gun?

Coach Morris: uh, uh, uh, I,I,I, don't trust DeShaun under center.

I'm wondering.......ok, so Watson is now the man, yet you have a guy that's been here 4 yrs, has started the first three games, and he's 6'5-230.........how bout putting him in for that situation? You CAN trust him to take a snap, he knows what to do.........yet no one on our staff thought of that??????

Amazing!

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic