Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I’m officially pulling against the USA ( link)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

I’m officially pulling against the USA ( link)

Mar 8, 2019, 12:31 PM

In women’s soccer. I’m all for gender equality but they want the same pay as the men yet bring in I believe about 10 percent of the revenue the men’s team does. This is not like a typical job where I do believe men and women should be paid equal. Brats.

Also “ superior to their male counterparts?” They have no competition!

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/26189867/uswnt-suing-us-soccer-discrimination?addata=espn:frontpage

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m officially pulling against the USA ( link)

Mar 8, 2019, 12:32 PM

Also 2015 was an anomaly. That was the women’s World Cup year and the year they won it.

Mar 8, 2019, 12:33 PM

I'm all for the women's and men's USA soccer teams getting paid the same amount.

They should drop the men's pay to whatever the women make.

The men's team is terrible!

Mar 8, 2019, 1:11 PM

Don't they at least play 90 minutes, unlike pro tennis where the girls only have to win 2 sets out of 3 and the men have to win 3 sets out of 5 - yet demand they get the same prize money? it's ridiculous.

Men tennis players have to work WAY harder than the girls for the same pay.

Gender equality requires we get rid of the ghettos of "women's sports" and just have sports. Basketball, Soccer, Golf, Tennis. No second-class leagues for those that identify as women. If you are good enough to play, then play. Otherwise, bye. We are all equal. Women can do anything men can do. I'm pretty sure I've heard that somewhere.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

i have always liked womens tennis more than mens tennis

Mar 8, 2019, 1:15 PM

Vollyball too by far

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beach Volleyball is a different story

Mar 8, 2019, 2:14 PM

the women should get paid much more than the men.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes this /\/\/\/\/\/\/\***

Mar 8, 2019, 3:31 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Beach Volleyball is a different story

Mar 9, 2019, 9:13 AM [ in reply to Beach Volleyball is a different story ]

Men’s volleyball should be outlawed!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i have always liked womens tennis more than mens tennis

Mar 9, 2019, 9:54 AM [ in reply to i have always liked womens tennis more than mens tennis ]

I agree on the women's tennis. Unless Serena Williams is winning.
Then, I can't watch.
I can't watch without remembering how she told a ref
She'd "shove this f-ing ball down (her) throat."
Real classy there, Serena.

Mar 8, 2019, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m officially pulling against the USA ( link) ]

It's not so simple to say they play the same game so they should get the same money.

Women can do anything that men can do, but it doesn't mean that they deserve the same pay if the product is not of the same quality.

Gender equality should mean that both get paid the same for the same product.

If the products are the same then the pay should be.

A brain surgeon gets paid more than a knee surgeon.

Same job and same game but different product.

in the case of tennis. It's the only sport

Mar 8, 2019, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m officially pulling against the USA ( link) ]

Professionally where women come close to the men as far as popularity, endorsements, TV, coverage etc

It's a massive gap in every other sport.

Mar 8, 2019, 11:21 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m officially pulling against the USA ( link) ]

Has nothing to do with how good they are....has everything to do with revenue. If the CEO of Applebee's was a woman should she get the same pay as the male CEO of Amazon? No. Not that there is anything wrong with applebees it's just that Amazon makes more. It's about revenue not how good the team does. If they make the same revenue then it should be equal. Your point isn't valid

Cant wait until WNBA stars do this***

Mar 8, 2019, 12:34 PM

so it can become even more irrelevant?***

Mar 8, 2019, 1:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Real fundamental lack of understanding of economics

Mar 8, 2019, 12:44 PM

Re: Real fundamental lack of understanding of economics

Mar 8, 2019, 12:48 PM

In all honesty I wonder how much of the revenue generated by the men's team is people buying generic USA soccer gear to support the women's team.

I wonder if all apparel without the women's label generates revenue for the men's team.

Mar 8, 2019, 12:47 PM

What is seen as gender inequality across sports in regards to pay, prize money is totally dependent upon revenue generated. Truth is women events are not generally huge draws for TV or attendance and is reason #1 for lower monies across all sports. Simple economics at play and has little to nothing with the cause being they just want to pay women less.

Mar 8, 2019, 12:54 PM

I was visiting Amsterdam during a world cup by chance. Watching one of their games in a riotous bar. Much fun. I asked " How is your woman's team?". To a man they said "Woman play football?"

That's really why the USA has been better in women's soccer

Mar 8, 2019, 1:07 PM

Because the big soccer countries in the world don't put very much investment or stock into women's soccer like the USA does

Mar 8, 2019, 8:35 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m officially pulling against the USA ( link) ]

Don't the women in Amsterdam play in a much higher paying sport than the men?

They better take what they can get before they’re replaced

Mar 8, 2019, 12:56 PM

By girls trapped in boys bodies. The lady/boys will take over women’s sports and sideline all natural born girls.

I'll never pull against anyone who plays on behalf of the US

Mar 8, 2019, 1:00 PM

IMO, a woman playing on a US sponsored/sanctioned team should be paid the same as their male counterparts in the same sport. Revenue should not be a factor.

If we are going to pay athletes for simply being part of a US National Team...women should be paid the same as men. They perform all the same duties on behalf of their nation and should be compenmsated equally.

Now, if these teams go out and play in or take part in unsanctioned games/events then let them negotiate their own take with the event organizers and let market forces dictate.

Well actually you bring up a good point

Mar 8, 2019, 1:11 PM

Bc if they didn’t get paid we would have an even worse team.

Mar 8, 2019, 1:16 PM

The amount of travel and games played by a men’s national soccer team in a 4 year span compared to golf (Ryder cup) or US basketball isn’t even remotely similar.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's kinda soccer's fault though for making people suffer

Mar 8, 2019, 1:34 PM

Mar 8, 2019, 1:08 PM

Have the men go on strike for a year and see what happens.

If you want a reason to not pull for USWNT, then it should

Mar 8, 2019, 1:16 PM

be because Coach Jill Ellis refuses to play the best Left Back in America (left back being our Achilles Heel) because said greatest left back in America refuses to wear the occasionally-used USWNT gay pride uniform. That uniform violates her beliefs. Coach Ellis is a lesbian.

Re: If you want a reason to not pull for USWNT, then it should

Mar 8, 2019, 6:12 PM

Wow, had no idea

I’m not sure this is cause to pull against the team the represents America,

Mar 8, 2019, 1:20 PM

although I do agree that “we work as hard as the men” becomes irrelevant when your efforts don’t draw an audience. I know bad sales people who work as hard as successful sales people, but their company needs sales to pay them.

Having said that...I haven’t been paying attention to either team the last couple years but over the past decade, the woman have been significantly more fun to watch than the men. They are aggressive, dominant, skilled and successful. The guys act like they don’t know each other, seemed to lack an identity (and certainly lack an American* identity), and of course...lose way more than a country like America should lose. I mean, you can’t beat Trinidad and Tobago to make the World Cup? Pathetic.

* By “American” identity, I’m talking about developing a style of play that Americans respect. Of course we want to win, but I get the sense that we try to mimic European styles...as if we don’t understand soccer. I think this is silly. We have millions of people in this country who played the game...generations of people. It’s not theoretical physics...it’s soccer.

null

Maybe they should play against the USMNT

Mar 8, 2019, 1:21 PM

to determine if they should be paid more.

This is like saying a minor league baseball player should be paid as much as a MLB player. They play the same sport, work the same amount of hours, etc. Heck, the minor leaguer probably gets paid less and works more in a more difficult environment.

Re: Maybe they should play against the USMNT

Mar 8, 2019, 1:29 PM

It's not at all the same...MLB is a private enterprise. If men/women get paid simply for being part of a US National Team, then they should be compensated the same. Revenue is not relevant to the conversation.

Re: Maybe they should play against the USMNT

Mar 8, 2019, 1:35 PM

I stated above that I support the women's soccer team getting paid as much as the men's team because I think the product that each produces is similar.

The women are very good while the men are most often a sub-par men's product. The men's game however is much more competitive.

I think it's nonsense to say that they should get paid the same simply because they play the same sport for the country.

Revenue is always relevant.

I do question how the revenue separation specifically for soccer is determined.

If I bought a USA soccer shirt to support the women's team but it doesn't specifically say "women's" somewhere on it, is the men's team getting the revenue?

My guess is yes. I believe that is the separation between the revenue for each.

The problem is not happening in other sports because nobody buys a Lakers jersey to support the WNBA team in LA.

That is an opinion you have, and that’s fine,

Mar 8, 2019, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Maybe they should play against the USMNT ]

but it is certainly valid to say that a team that brings in more money gets paid more, government team or not.

And it’s more involved than that. To get a high quality male soccer player means paying them something that makes it worth their while to take away from their professional team (in Europe or MLS) or endorsement deals, which again, pays way more than any pro women’s league. Bottom line, if you paid the men what you pay the women, you’re probably not getting any of the top Americans. If you pay the women what you pay the men, you’re probably taking a significant loss every time you take the field...all in the name of a flawed sense of equality (obviously just my opinion). Plus...you win the World Cup at this pay level...why pay more? ;)

null

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water ... :)

Mar 8, 2019, 1:44 PM

Not all circumstances are equal - that's life. We can try to fix things, but there are also market forces that will always influence conditions - sometimes conditions swing left and then right. If we want to make a change in our circumstances, it is up to US. :)

I pull for the US in all competitions for men and women except when the Men's team plays Brasil, where I learned how to play soccer (and even then I'm neutral.)

The issue of pay for the Men's and Women's National Teams is not cut and dried. There are differences and some are based on the US Soccer Federation, some on FIFA, and some on Market Forces.

The per diem and sponsorship appearances are paid by USSF and are different amounts per game - $3,000 for women, $3,750 for men. I think they should be the same.

World Cup bonuses vary greatly, but that because the bonus money from FIFA is so much more for the Men's World Cup than Women's World Cup. From what I understand, the method and breakdown of payment to the players is identical even though the amounts vary.

The big difference is the salary for the players. Women are paid $72,000 each while the men are paid nothing. The men still get paid by their club teams while they are on international duty.

So, the USSF could equalize the per diem and sponsorship $$$, but the salaries and bonuses are market driven.

One was also wearing a NC shirt

Mar 8, 2019, 2:23 PM

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation(al CHAMPIONS!)!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

At least it wasn't a France shirt...............***

Mar 8, 2019, 4:56 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2019, 2:26 PM

This is from a 2016 article (when the first such lawsuit was raised):

But data released last week by the U.S. Soccer Federation show that the top women’s players make nearly as much as the highest-paid men’s players. Since 2008, six national-team men and six women have earned more than $1 million from the Federation. And according to ESPN, 14 of the 25 highest-earning national-team players over the past four years have been women, whose compensation averaged $695,269. That’s 2.2% below the average for men. Women also receive benefits that men don’t, including maternity leave and severance pay if they get cut from the team. Women get paid if they’re sidelined with an injury; men don’t.

Women on the U.S. national soccer teams aren’t paid less than men. They’re paid differently because the collective-bargaining agreements they have negotiated emphasize income- and job-security. Women players earn annual salaries of $72,000; the men get paid by how many games they play. The men’s roster is more fluid, and the head coach can call players to camp for one game.

Nearly 50 men’s players appeared in games for the U.S. national squad last year, but only three played more than 13 games. The women’s team fields about half as many players.

Players on the women’s team receive smaller bonuses than the men: Women are awarded $1,350 for each win, while the men get $5,000 for each game they’re on the national roster and are paid $6,250-$17,625 for each victory, depending on their opponent’s ranking.

Another significant disparity: The U.S. women’s team received $2 million from the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) for winning the World Cup last year, while the men’s team landed $9 million merely for advancing to the round of 16.

----\

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2019, 2:31 PM

The WNT set a new collective bargaining agreement in 2017. Again, the women's CBA is focused on what the women wanted OTHER than straight up dollars (like pregnancy benefits and "lifestyle" benefits):

According to SI:

The new CBA includes: A commitment from U.S. Soccer to pay the NWSL salaries for allocated players; a return commitment by the players to compete in the NWSL; a requirement for the improvement of NWSL standards; and the ability of the WNTPA to control group likeness rights for licensing and non-exclusive rights in sponsorship categories where U.S. Soccer does not have a sponsor.

The new CBA also provides: A significant increase in direct compensation and bonus compensation; enhanced “lifestyle” benefits for the players with respect to travel and hotels; per diems that are equal to those of the men’s team; and greater financial support for players who are pregnant and players adopting a child.

On Tuesday’s podcast, Sauerbrunn agreed with Gulati’s characterization of what the women’s team was pursuing in a February Planet Fútbol podcast as “equitable” pay but not “equal” to that of the U.S. men’s team. Sauerbrunn noted that was because the salary structure the women’s players were seeking from U.S. Soccer—including payment for their club play, which the men don’t receive from the federation—was fundamentally different from the men’s structure.

“We’re trying to figure out where women’s soccer is going, so we may not have the same exact structure as the men,” Sauerbrunn said. “So equal isn’t the right word. It would be equitable, because we are asking for a different structure.”

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they should go on strike

Mar 8, 2019, 2:38 PM

Forever

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3 World Cup Titles!!Pay the women***

Mar 8, 2019, 3:05 PM

Let Them Try Out For Mens Team if They Make They Can Have $$

Mar 8, 2019, 6:59 PM

Otherwise keep playing gurlsoccer

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let Them Try Out For Mens Team if They Make They Can Have $$

Mar 8, 2019, 7:16 PM

Let economics and market value decide the pay of the mens' and the womens' team....... If the fans are prepared to pay to watch you, TV companies are prepared to show your product on television, and sponsors are wanting to be associated with your product, then the money will flow in.

Mar 8, 2019, 7:21 PM

Don't be an idiot. I'm not saying I agree with them, but we're not talking about professional men's BB or men's tennis vs women counterparts. This a national team. Apples and oranges.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's ruffled everyones feathers so much tonight

Mar 8, 2019, 11:05 PM

to get so pissed about women and minorities?

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2019, 9:12 AM

Sounds a lot like the WNBA. I’m also all for equal pay but if you aren’t bringing in the revenue then you should really be quiet. The WNBA wouldn’t even be around if they didn’t get money from the NBA.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic