Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm not understanding this Nebraska hype??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

I'm not understanding this Nebraska hype??

Jul 25, 2019, 5:10 PM

Adrian Martinez is a big name surrounding why they're going to be so good next year but he was 45th in passing yards, 53rd in TDs and 62nd in INTs on the season? They lost 5 off of their defense that wasn't very good last year....

Their 4 wins of why people say they "finished strong" were 7-6 MSU where Nebraska scored 0 TDs to win, 7-6 Minnesota, 4-8 Illinois and 7-5 Bethune Cookman...

The hype around them being "national contenders" makes about as much sense as Justin Fields being a "Heisman candidate" after he has almost no track record after skipping most his senior year and never starting a meaningful snap at UGA.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not understanding this Nebraska hype??

Jul 25, 2019, 5:27 PM

Scott Frost. That's why. People are hoping he can replicate the job he did down at UCF back home at Nebraska. They'll be better, but won't be what they're trying to make them out to be.

Haven’t seen anything about them being contenders

Jul 25, 2019, 5:29 PM

As there’s no chance of that. But reason to be optimistic about their trajectory at least. Could be a fringe top 25 team this year if it all shakes out right but I wouldn’t have their ceiling any higher than that right now.

Martinez in year 2 should make a step forward, recruiting is improving, and Frost is a good coach. Improved? Yes. Contenders? Not a chance.

Jul 25, 2019, 5:30 PM

They have a very good coach, but they are several years away from being a contender for anything.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2019, 6:46 PM

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2019-07-02/college-football-rankings-preseason-top-25-2019-season

It's interesting seeing the comments on Nebraska and several other teams who "don't get top notch talent" across the board! Because when it comes to say, weak florist(Wake Forrest) if they don't have many 4 star guys and a bunch of guys they had to RS and build up - they are terrible. Why does Nebraska get an exception? Probably b/c of their storied history, right? But, it goes to show you how voters will put "their nostalgia feelings" into their vote! And, it's pretty pathetic!

Be better if it was just based on what you actually see on the football field. In fact, do away with pre-season rankings.
ESPN needs these to build the hype for good early season ( when the weather is still nice and outlooks high ) games!

We shall see!

Believe it or not - as good as Scott Frost maybe - UCF is located in a much better place to get top talent than is Nebraska. Many of the UCF guys were just overlooked; but good players or guys who didn't qualify for "other schools"! But, they are very talented. I don't know he will have access to the same kind of talent at Nebraska. Not with Jimbo being at A&M picking top talent in Texas/Oklahoma. Then Texas is re-surging and of course Oklahoma lives off of Texas recruits. Besides all that - who would want to play in the BIG 10 over playing more games closer to home vs. Big 12 opponents? In wide open offenses! I think he has a tough road to go.
I know Nebraska built their name off of walk ons. But, those walk ons were going to RS and just get big/strong and pound teams under Coach Osborne. They aren't playing that style now.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's hard to imagine Nebraska ever reaching their earlier

Jul 25, 2019, 11:15 PM

status in the Big 10. Playing zero games in Texas and Oklahoma now has pretty much shut that pipeline down, and they don't really identify as well in the Big 10 states. They can win, sure, but 'elite' is a real long shot in their current environment.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2019, 6:37 PM

Step 1. Go to Nebraska.
Step 2. Ponder on why anyone is living there.
Step 3. Escape Nebraska before winter arrives
Step 4. Come to the realization that some people are crazy and we’re not meant to understand why.

From the movie “Unforgiven”

Jul 25, 2019, 6:47 PM

“Little Bill , I thought you were dead”

“I did too but I was just in Nebraska”

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with you on both counts...

Jul 25, 2019, 7:16 PM

...as I've seen articles touting (1) Nebraska as a trendy sleeper pick and (2) that Fields is going to immediately light it up for OSU. Can't say I see evidence of either happening this year. Certainly not for Fields who was severely misused by that genius Kirby who seemed to stick him in games for a handful of plays at just random points to try to keep him happy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: I am nit sure Nebraska

Jul 25, 2019, 7:25 PM

will ever be like they were in the 90s. I have heard stories about steroid use, and player academic quality was not a factor. Since then, steroid crackdown in college sports changed things and their player academic standards had to rise.

Jul 25, 2019, 7:30 PM

I think it's mainly because they started 0-6 last year with a Freshman QB (Martinez) that really started to get very good and finished fairly strong. He had a bigtime performance in their close loss to Ohio State that kinda put him on everyone's radar. He's really talented and should be reason enough for their to be optimism in Lincoln, NE. I don't think anyone's expecting them to make a push for the CFP, but it's reasonable to include them in the discussion of who wins the Big 10 West. They're kinda in the same bucket as UVA for me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2019, 7:40 PM

I guess but his performance was mediocre at best I would say against OSU, 260 yards and 1 TD had an intentional grounding in the endzone for a safety, against Michigan he had a 3.1 QBR and was flat out awful throwing for 20 something yards. Best games really were 1st half of the season I'd say with 300+ against Wisconsin and Purdue but defenses with a pulse really gave him fits. If he has a big start to the season I'll buy in but I just can't see it when their 4 wins were against pretty bad teams and a MSU team he couldn't find the end zone in.

Jul 25, 2019, 7:53 PM

Fields chance at a Heisman is 100 times greater than Nebraskas odds at a title.

Jul 25, 2019, 7:53 PM

Here's what I think you're missing.

Nebraska barely lost to OSU and Iowa, both away games, but will have BOTH at home this year. Thse are their toughest games IMO. If they beat those 2 teams, then they will win the Big10. If they win the Big10, then they will play in the CFP. They will also win all their other games against those weaker teams. You should watch some of their games at the end of the season. Frost is putting together a pretty darn good team IMO. They even have Northwestern and Wisconsin at home. Their schedule is the ideal schedule to make the CFP.

Jul 25, 2019, 9:10 PM

Hunter Johnson will smoke 'em. At least I hope so, we'll see.

Jul 25, 2019, 9:38 PM

Every year there's 1 team that is the so-called, dark horse media darling. This year Nebraska is that team.

In 2008, it was Clemson. That didn't turn out 2 well

Jul 25, 2019, 10:30 PM

Scott Frost is a media golden boy, for good reason. Last year Nebraska finished strong after a poor start. This coming season their schedule is very easy.

This is why the Nebraska hype is so strong.

In my opinion, the only game they are a big underdog is at home against Ohio State, who could be primed for a big dropoff. If Justin Fields isn't elite, it will be a long season. If he struggles, uh oh.

Besides that, Nebraska doesn't play Michigan. Wisconsin won't be Wisconsin. I don't believe PJ Fleck will ever get Minnesota over the hump.

I don't believe Nebraska will run the table to the Big Ten title game. They still have too much instability right now. 8-2 is achievable. But if everything goes right, a relatively easy path is in front of them and Frost becomes an NFL coaching candidate (though he strikes me as a college lifer).

Jul 26, 2019, 2:16 AM

I think the hype is a little premature. They will be solid, maybe pretty good, this year. But over the next several years, I believe they will become contenders.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic