Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Peanut Allergy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Peanut Allergy

May 18, 2020, 12:24 PM

If I believe I have a peanut allergy, is it incumbent upon me to avoid peanuts, or is it incumbent upon the rest of the country to keep peanuts away from me? Mmm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The government must save you from yourself

May 18, 2020, 12:27 PM

It is incumbent upon the government to forbid you to eat peanut products and to ensure that no peanuts are located in what might be considered to be a dangerous proximity to you, right?

With all of the arguments for and against government enforced closures, people still always have the right to stay out of any place that they deem risky to themselves or others.

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best advise is stay away from a Snickers***

May 18, 2020, 12:30 PM

But, Peanut M&Ms?***

May 18, 2020, 12:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

The peanuts are covered in chocolate. Is that not just

May 18, 2020, 4:54 PM [ in reply to Best advise is stay away from a Snickers*** ]

about the same as a mask?

WRONG BOARD MORAN!!!***

May 18, 2020, 12:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Get well soon.***

May 18, 2020, 12:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Peanut Allergy

May 18, 2020, 1:14 PM

Eat more peanuts and get over it!!! ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2020, 1:20 PM

Try sending your kid to school with a peanut butter sandwich for lunch.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

t’s and p’s***

May 18, 2020, 1:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

I've caught a lot of things, but never another's allergy...

May 18, 2020, 1:31 PM

you're special and not just your post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ familiar with the drip.***

May 18, 2020, 1:37 PM

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Own it and quit whining.***

May 18, 2020, 2:25 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2020, 2:27 PM

Since I have a daughter with peanut allergy--she is now 31--i'll treat this topic with some seriousness (maybe more than you intended. )

The first thing you MUST do is get tested to determine the extent of your susceptibility. If you find that you have an anaphylactic response to peanut (as my daughter did) you cannot trust ANYONE ELSE to be responsible for you--not teachers, friends or even grandparents. They will not understand; they will not grasp the potential seriousness of the condition, and it has nothing to do with their character, love or willingness. They just won't.

Fortunately my parents learned when their 18-month granddaughter accidentally got someone's peanutbutter on the back of her finger and rubbed her eye, and within seconds her eye swelled shut. My parents were witnesses and were stunned. They had grown up poor and had raised us 5 kids to eat anything. Suddenly the most precious little girl in their world forced them to reconsider some of the lessons they had learned from their life experience.

They learned that my teenage brothers could not eat PB sandwiches if they wanted my granddaughter to stay with them. My father learned to wipe down his car before he could take her for a ride.

We joined the Food Allergy Network so we could learn the best ways to prevent accidents and communicate with friends about her condition.

We bought study aids to help.

I downloaded stories of children who didn't take their allergies seriously, like the 14 -year old girl who died from kissing her boyfriend who had just eaten peanut butter. Those are not Disney stories, let me tell you.

When our daughter went to kindergarten we had to have a sitdown with both the principal and the teacher. We asked them both to watch a 15-minute video, and thereafter we always had their cooperation in protecting our child.

Our daughter was never allowed to share lunches or trade treats. She was never allowed to enjoy surprise treats. If another parent brought cupcakes to celebrate their kid's birthday, our daughter was dismissed from class or was given a non edible special privilege. (Sometimes the teacher had to send a n apology note home that she had promised our daughter a special treat from Mom, so Mom was obligated to come through. We were ok with that.) You never ask the stupid question "does the surprise treat contain peanut?" Many times people don't know, and they'll say whatever it takes to make the child happy--not safe.

One time she had a friend who felt bad for her and also abstained from eating the cupcake/cookies that were provided. All that did was make my daughter feel bad, but maybe her friend got some joy from it. I think they were besties for a little while. But my daughter never asked other people to abstain from peanut products for her. We chose to eliminate them in our household for her sake.

The #1 rule was that SHE had to always take her allergy seriously. If she didn't, no one else would. If that meant someone thought she was a drama queen, so be it. I'd rather she be alive.

Nowadays people act like carrying an EpiPen is the safest way to live. They don't realize that using an EpiPen can cause you a heart attack, so it should only be used as a last resort.

I realize there are various levels of allergic responses. Covid-19 is far less deadly to my child than peanuts, even as an adult. But to people who are particularly susceptible, Covid could be really bad.

But the two balancing rules of thumb are #1--your health is YOUR responsibility and #2--if YOU don't take your condition seriously, no one else will. Those are the two things you can control. Everything else is variable. Maybe some people will cooperate sometimes but you can never count on it.

With Covid, we are being told, not asked, to take it seriously, and to assume that everyone has equal susceptibility. That is inherently dishonest, disrespectful and unscientific. But we are being told instead that there's no cupcakes for anyone so long as one person has the peanut allergy. My daughter would rather have one friend skip the cupcake voluntarily than the whole class skip them compulsorily.

SSL.

May 18, 2020, 4:01 PM

53:50 mark of this audio explains what happened to our children (my son is 30)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ep-18-robert-bobby-kennedy-jr-joins-podcast-drops-absolute/id1491435111?i=1000471537466

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2020, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Peanut Allergy ]

Yep. I have 3 with nut allergies. The first time we had an emergency my oldest was 2 (she’s 20’now). A guest gave her 1 pistachio. She threw up about 60 seconds later, hives within 3 minutes or so. Into the car we go. I still own the world land speed record for a drive from Devin Circle to Cooks Children’s Hospital. We arrived somewhere around 12-13 minutes after ingestion. She was gasping for air. I ran through the Emergency doors screaming for help. The woman behind the counter said, “we’ll need to fill out so paper work”. I leaned waaaaaaaay into her face and screamed even louder, “ I NEED HELP NOOOOOOWWWW OR I’M COMING OVER THE COUNTER!!!! You’d have to hear me to appreciate how loud I can be. At that point the doors to the back flew open and a nurse says, “Sir come with me”. It all worked out. Literally drove 100mph in 35 and ran about a dozen stoplights. Terrifying. Serious nut allergies are no joke.

May 18, 2020, 9:09 PM

You're a great dad! That's how men communicate!

Good news/bad news: anaphylaxis in my daughter always ended within 15 minutes. After the first time her airway started to swell shut, and the fear started to show in her eyes, we learned to take her to the doc while watching the clock.

She was a relatively fearless child, except once we identified what triggered the reaction, she wouldn't ever touch again.

The bad news part is that if she had ever gotten a large dose of peanut, we might have been expecting the swelling to abate. And been wrong.

I'm not sure you understand how allergies work.

May 18, 2020, 2:39 PM

Obviously it would be up to you to avoid peanuts, but in the case of a significant peanut allergy, that might not be enough. Simply breathing air near someone else eating peanuts can trigger anaphylaxis in someone who is extremely allergic to peanuts. If you are one of those people, it's not enough to simply avoid eating a PB&J at lunch.

What you should be asking is, why are so many people today allergic to peanuts? Why is it a "thing" now, when it didn't used to be? The answer isn't simply that we have a bunch of overly sensitive, overly dramatic people who aren't as tough as they used to be.

Current research points to the environment a baby is exposed to in utero, as well as a child's exposures in those first few years of life, as the likely triggers. One hypothesis is that we are too clean these days, and that the overabundance of antibacterial soap, hand wipes, etc. is denying kids the opportunity to be exposed to more dirt, germs, and other substances at an early age.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I'm not sure you understand how allergies work.

May 18, 2020, 4:36 PM

JK, your thoughts are accurate, but I personally don't care why my daughter got it (my wife agrees with you that she probably ate too much PB while pregnant!?) Now that she has it, it's part of who she is, and even as an adult she has not grown out of it. There is no productive lesson to be learned there.

Pretty sure the OP is trying to ask an analogous Social Responsibility question.

On a scale of 1-100, my daughter's severity is probably in the 91-95 range, so those you described are worse. She has developed rash from airborne peanut proteins, but has only had anaphylaxis from touch or ingestion. So I'm not sure how Nazi-like I would have been if we had boarded an airplane and found out that the in flight snack was roasted peanuts.

But as a parent, it was MY job to teach my child how to have peanut radar so SHE could avoid her poison. Rarely, but sometimes, politely getting in someone's face to protect your child is essential, even when that other person is not doing anything 'wrong'. But most times she simply had to be the grownup in all her relationships.

But if we as a society have arbitrarily changed the dynamic, and left wing media and politicians are going to coerce us all into Absolute Social Responsibility by eliminating everything in life that could possibly be toxic to someone, without anybody doing any analysis to determine what those toxins are, I want them to volunteer to stop breathing first.

Because their carbon dioxide is already positively killing me.

The WHY question was intended for the OP

May 18, 2020, 5:06 PM

who didn’t seem to understand the prevalence or significance of peanut allergies today. As a society, I do think we should be asking such questions. As a whole, we are a much unhealthier society if you look at obesity, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc.

I certainly understand that such musings aren’t at the forefront of your or your family’s thoughts. I wasn’t trying to minimize or trivialize your experience in any way.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: The WHY question was intended for the OP

May 18, 2020, 5:33 PM

Don't go soft on me, Judge. I'm more inclined to be offended if you make too much of my family's experience than too little. ??

My wife has studied the autoimmune system and its various responses far more than I. My only point to you re. it is that if allergies are responses to the environment while in utero, the only way to balance that environment is thru better prenatal nutrition. Yet PB was one of the items WIC pushed on us due to my wife's anemia.
Better prenatal nutrition begins with better preprenatal health and nutrition, yet that's difficult to achieve. She was a conscientious girl long before she ever got pregnant. In fact, if not for her anemia we wouldn't have gotten WIC because she didn't drink alcohol or smoke while pregnant. WIC was only for At Risk moms back then.

Thanks to Gov Beasley, the At Risk basis for WIC in SC was eliminated between my 2nd and 3rd kids. (He was a great governor but a poor politician: he forgot who his base was.)

Anyway, by the time your child demonstrates severe allergies, it's too late to fix the environment that caused them. Possibly the next generation can learn from our mistakes, but it seems that each generation tend to come up with their own. And every generation's creative mistakes seem to be more and more complex than the previous one's.

I had a buddy that developed a peanut allergy at 50 almost

May 18, 2020, 5:47 PM

over night. Went from enjoying roasted peanuts his whole life to itching when someone opens a pack of peanut butter crackers in the same room. Can't explain it but saw it happen.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The WHY question was intended for the OP

May 18, 2020, 5:49 PM [ in reply to Re: The WHY question was intended for the OP ]

The wife is teaching K5 and PBJ is treated like COVID... Then we see the same families in DV with peanuts GALORE... Kinda makes you wonder how we made it 5,000 years since Adam...Personally, my opinion is that none of us are getting out of here alive...Your grandkids nor mine...

Re: I'm not sure you understand how allergies work.

May 18, 2020, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm not sure you understand how allergies work. ]

Our son has animal, eggs, peanut allergies. Also eczema and asthma. Also ADHD or whatever they call it now. My wife and I thought it was our fault. Then I listened to the audio I linked in my reply to you above and RFK Jr mentioned all three as a result of vaccines given starting in 1989. RFK Jr said if you were born before 1989, your chance of getting a chronic disease is 12%... after 1989, 54%. In 1986 a law was passed that vaccine companies could not be sued. Dr Mikovitz (plandemic video) discovered in 2009 that ALL vaccines are contaminated with XMRVs (mouse viruses). It's the vaccines that are the cause of the explosion in chronic diseases.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, all of the stress vaccines put on a child’s immune system

May 18, 2020, 8:38 PM

surely increases risk of immune confusion, whether it be autoimmune issues, allergies, or both.

I know you are just trying to prove some point about COVID,

May 18, 2020, 6:25 PM

but any decent person should try to assist those with a really serious peanut allergy (or any serious allergy for that matter). My next door neighbor's daughter has a very serious peanut allergy and we do not allow our kids to eat anything with peanut butter, peanut oil, etc outside because they all play together. If our kids eat PB they have to wash their hands with soap and water and we make sure they are clean before we send them outside. Our children have been instructed not to share ANY food with their children before clearing it with adults. Many foods that don't contain peanuts still say on the box or wrapper that they may have been processed in a facility that also processes peanuts. None of that stuff can go anywhere near my neighbor's daughter.

So i counter your point about COVID with a point of my own: try showing a little compassion and consideration for others and don't be #### about things like this.

Re: I know you are just trying to prove some point about COVID,

May 18, 2020, 8:31 PM

We don’t depend on anyone else to be sure about what DOES or DOES NUT have nuts in it. If we’re not 100% certain, the kids don’t eat it. Only had one incident in a restaurant in 20 years. Fayetteville, AR. We asked about nuts and made it crystal clear that any error on this would mean a trip to the emergency room. The manager came out, assured us that all dishes were nut free. All the food shows up, my younger daughter takes one bite, few seconds later says, “my mouth feels funny”. We all stop eating and start starring at her. 1 or 2 minutes later and here come the hives. Dinner ended immediately and we went to the emergency room. Didn’t pay a dime for the food. 1 - it was wrong 2 - no time for that.

May 18, 2020, 9:04 PM

You should have found the manager later, followed him home and burned his house down as he watched. Joking, but man, stupid can make you fightin mad when it comes to protecting your kids.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2020, 9:01 PM [ in reply to I know you are just trying to prove some point about COVID, ]

T and C, I know you are trying to be a good friend, and I'm glad our society has become more aware of these allergic conditions.

But let's stop with the over-the-top guilting here, ok?

Your neighbor's child has severe allergies and you chose to go off PB BECAUSE YOUR KIDS PLAY TOGETHER. Not because you live next door (in other words, if your kids were 10 years apart you wouldn't ditch PB unless your kid was babysitting her), not because you live on the same street, not because you sympathize with her.

Your kids got off PB to help her because they interact with her. Good for them. Your cooperation actually helps her.

Do you expect the rest of the neighborhood to do the same? The city? The state? The country? If people have NO interaction with her, do you expect them to give up not just peanut butter, but also all nut products, and all desserts, and all Thai food, and all chick peas, and all chocolate and every other place peanut proteins can be found?

Yet that's what's happening with Covid. Except it's not by choice--we're being forced to give it up.

And not one politician can tell me how sitting on my couch saves the life of another person sitting on their couch 80 miles away.

I actually support opening things back up in a reasonable manner

May 18, 2020, 9:53 PM

I just hate some of the attitudes I see regarding it. Hyperbole is way over the top in many instances. Lots of selfish attitudes as well.

Depends on how much money you have

May 18, 2020, 9:50 PM

and especially how much those that don't keep peanuts away from you have.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic