Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I’m not bashing- but I don’t think we can win a National Championship
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

I’m not bashing- but I don’t think we can win a National Championship

Nov 29, 2020, 9:39 AM

With the “current” play of our O line. We have one of the best RB’s in the country and we can’t even open up holes for him. I hope I am wrong, but when we play ND, Bama, OSU, these defense can T off on a one dimensional team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m not bashing- but I don’t think we can win a National Championship

Nov 29, 2020, 9:43 AM

We ran for 150 yesterday. We ran for under 100yds both times we beat Alabama. How quickly people forget.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree, I posted a similar commen below. I was at both of

Nov 29, 2020, 9:53 AM

those games. Defense and the passing game were the keys to those CFP titles.

Nov 29, 2020, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m not bashing- but I don’t think we can win a National Championship ]

Dabo’s MO and Clemson’s MO since Dabo took over is, the team improves as the season progresses. For a very long time I would argue that that was not the case. This year has been different from the past 5 or so years from the injury standpoint. We’ve simply had more injuries this year than in any other year in recent memory. It looks like we are finally getting healthy again. Will we win it all? I don’t know, but we can’t win it all right now. There are no Championships in November. Let’s just keep improving and see where that takes us.

Nov 29, 2020, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m not bashing- but I don’t think we can win a National Championship ]

We don’t have the consistent solid o- line as when we beat Alabama.

And that was with better lines. I don't think these Bama and OSU

Nov 29, 2020, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m not bashing- but I don’t think we can win a National Championship ]

defenses are as good as prior ones we've faced, but if this 2020 Clemson team went up against 2016 Bama D we might be fortunate to have positive rushing yardage for the game.

As long as we pass for 500 and our D

Nov 29, 2020, 2:52 PM

plays up to their par, we be good

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Nov 29, 2020, 9:44 AM

I disagree . That’s all.

34 yards total rushing against ND.......

Nov 29, 2020, 9:49 AM

There is a big difference between the top 4 defenses and Pitt

If we stay healthy ND will lose the rematch by double digits. Mark it down.***

Nov 29, 2020, 9:57 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If we stay healthy ND will lose the rematch by double digits. Mark it down.***

Nov 29, 2020, 11:28 AM

^^^THIS^^^
The ND loss was a fluky perfect storm for the Irish, plus Book played the game of his life. He won’t do that again. Clemson at full strength will demolish them in Charlotte.

You keep trying to use this argument, but again, we beat

Nov 29, 2020, 10:19 AM [ in reply to 34 yards total rushing against ND....... ]

Bama in the 2016 and 2018 CFP Title games with less than 100 yards rushing. We had less than 50 yards rushing in 2016 and less than 100 yards rushing in 2018. As I posted already, we had a less than 40 yards rushing in the 2018 title win going to the last drive on the game where we ran the ball down the field running out the clock.

You are clearly not a Clemson fan, or you are just clueless on our history in our CFP playoff wins.

@civil engr - you nailed it

Nov 29, 2020, 10:51 AM

You are right on the stats and trend. Clemson runs well and OL does well, but all those #s come down by end of season and we become a passing team.
This trend has been visible thru Boyd and watson years too. I am always bothered by the lack of a power runner and get pessimistic as year matures. But then Clemson finds a way to win somehow. This is why each time when Tigers go to NC they are an underdog. On the other hand Bama is well balanced and inspires confidence.
Lets see. Also lets enjoy the moment.

Re: @civil engr - you nailed it

Nov 29, 2020, 3:16 PM

He is actually completely wrong about every stat he mentioned.

Re: You keep trying to use this argument, but again, we beat

Nov 29, 2020, 3:15 PM [ in reply to You keep trying to use this argument, but again, we beat ]

Lol. You are wrong on all your stats.

In the 2016 national championship game against bama, you said we had less than 50 yards rushing. We in fact had 91 yards.

In the 2018 national championship game against bama, you said we had less than 100 yards rushing and less than 40 yards until the final drive. But we actually had 135 yards rushing and had 53 before the final drive.

Both of those teams had much better offensive lines and were never held to 30 something yards in a game. If we played those teams with the line we have now, we would be lucky to have positive yardage.

I’d make sure you had your facts straight before you question someone’s fandom or calling them clueless. Just a thought.

https://www.espn.com/college-foo https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=401032087 tball/matchup?gameId=400876570

True

Nov 29, 2020, 10:20 AM [ in reply to 34 yards total rushing against ND....... ]

But yet, without our generational talent QB, and missing a number of key defensive players, we went to double OT against one of the teams that "we can't beat" (according to your post) at their house.

We'd all like to see the OL run block better. But lets step off the ledge of this "we can't win" hyperbole.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we can win a National Championship

Nov 29, 2020, 9:48 AM

With the team I saw yesterday. If we are that level of healthy I absolutely think we can beat anyone. It will be tough, but I can see it.

We beat Bama on 2016 and 2018 without a lot of

Nov 29, 2020, 9:48 AM

rushing yardage. The 2018 title game was a little higher as we ran the ball for about 80 yards on the last possession.

Defense and the passing game have been our paths to CFP titles.

The best team we played, we only had 34 rushing yards

Nov 29, 2020, 9:56 AM

..and lost ....if we had 80-100 we win that game(TL playing would have corrected that) ....that will not win again against any top 4 team IMO.

Tell us who is "we". You aren't fooling anyone.

Nov 29, 2020, 10:09 AM

BTW, we scored 40 points in a double overtime loss on the road to the #2 team in the country playing without our (that is Clemson to you) starting QB, and at least four starters out on our defense.

They are all back and healthy.

LOL

Nov 29, 2020, 10:22 AM [ in reply to The best team we played, we only had 34 rushing yards ]

First hats off to ND, they won. Not taking a single thing away from that.

But you sound foolish arguing that we can't beat a team who we just played to double OT without our top QB and missing quite a number of top defensive players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LOL

Nov 29, 2020, 10:57 AM

Read what I said !
We would beat ND 10/10 times healthy.

Ok.

Nov 29, 2020, 11:10 AM

Then what's with the gnashing of teeth about being unable to beat ND with our current OL? It's weird cause you are using stats from a game where we weren't healthy to argue we can't beat a top 4 team when healthy (and yet then argue we can beat one of them in a follow up post).

Strange argument to be trying to make.

Nov 29, 2020, 9:51 AM

Agree but I saw some new ways to move the ball yesterday. We have to be creative with the pass and pick times to give some carries to #9. One thing we have not heard about this year is balance because we have over twice as many passing yards as rushing and against really good teams like Alabama and Notre Dame, that can be a problem. All Etienne needs is a crack, we just have to create those cracks.

Nov 29, 2020, 9:53 AM

I'm not overly worried about our "O" line ,but am a bit concerned about some of our lapses on the offensive side of the ball. Granted we were up by 28 but but we opened the third with a fumble that they recovered for a touchdown, then had a couple of 3 and outs and a touchdown called back and followed that by a missed field goal.
Had it not been for the short field given us in the first half ,I don't know if we would have scored 31 first quarter points and had that comfortable lead going into the 3rd.
I know we had 3 weeks off ,but we just didn't look that sharp offensively.

Nov 29, 2020, 9:55 AM

Our O-line is like a flat tire. They are terrible at run blocking, poor at pass protection and commit too many penalties. If they don't seriously raise their game, we won't beat Alabama.

Simple as that.

Nov 29, 2020, 10:01 AM

Not so fast my friend..if we don't beat VT, Fla St and ND, there
will be no game with Alabama.I list Fla st. as a maybe will play.

Nov 29, 2020, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m not bashing- but I don’t think we can win a National Championship ]

I couldn’t help but notice in the middle of second quarter our offense play calling became the same thing it was in the last two minutes of the ND game.Slow down, eat the clock and players lose focus when that happens

Stupid post. Are you a coot? You sound like one.

Nov 29, 2020, 10:03 AM

You do realize it took ND two OTs to beat a Clemson team missing its starting QB and half of its starting defense. ND loses by double digits to a healthy Clemson team. If Clemson stays healthy it will happen in the ACCG. Bookmark this.

Re: Stupid post. Are you a coot? You sound like one.

Nov 29, 2020, 10:10 AM

The O-line did not protect Trevor very well yesterday. He was hit or hurried quite often.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m not a coot, I have been to every game this year

Nov 29, 2020, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Stupid post. Are you a coot? You sound like one. ]

Been to 2 out of the last 3 NC games, have you ? Didn’t think so....sit down and shut up.....I know we were close against ND.....I also know we had the lead with 2 min left and couldnt line it up and smash mouth ND right down the middle for a first down to win the game with the best back in the country.
34 years ain’t gonna cut it against any of the top teams is all I am saying

Of course we will beat ND if healthy. Big deal

Nov 29, 2020, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Stupid post. Are you a coot? You sound like one. ]

ND isn't the team we should be concerned with. Alabama is who stands between us and a championship.

You’re correct but the OP listed ND as a team that we

Nov 29, 2020, 12:12 PM

can’t beat with our OL. The OL is a liability and they may very well keep us from beating Bama but not ND.

We used to say, “We can’t have a winning record unless ...”

Nov 29, 2020, 10:14 AM

Then it was, “We won’t get in a bowl game unless ...”

Then, “We won’t win the ACC unless ...”

Later it was, “We won’t make the playoff unless ...”

Now, it’s, “We can’t win THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP unless ...”

The bar moves ever higher along with fan expectations and criticisms.

Counter argument: they pass block well and we have a QB

Nov 29, 2020, 10:21 AM

that can make every throw, who has more options to throw to than he did when we won it a couple years ago (Especially if we get some of our WRs back and healthy). Our TEs can catch and we get ETN the ball in space.

We’d all like to see better run blocking but it’s wrong to say we can’t win it all with this level of play. Plus, we get better as the season goes on.

null

Oh, and TL looks much better scrambling for yardage

Nov 29, 2020, 10:24 AM

than he did when we won it two years ago.

null

Nov 29, 2020, 10:24 AM

Bama is very similar to LSU last year - video game offense, 1st rd NFL wide receivers, stud rb. But the defense is decent but vulnerable. DK and Booth would have to play a great game and Trevor would have to play better than he did. Mac Jones is no Burrow, so I think Bama's beatable, but they are clearly good. Clemson would beat ND or OSU on a neutral field imo

We will handle ND and their above average offense

Nov 29, 2020, 10:50 AM

Bama will be another nail biter. I don’t see us beating them like 2018, even if we get all the bounces and calls.

Can we win? Heck yes. I expect Clemson VS Bama 4? 5? Our pass rush and secondary should be better than last years CFP team.

The key to winning it all is Skalski in my opinion. Him and Tyler Davis make all the difference on D.

Nov 29, 2020, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m not bashing- but I don’t think we can win a National Championship ]

The lack of mobility from Mac Jones is 'Bama's big weakness. Nobody has really exposed it yet but SEC defenses are just terrible this year for whatever reason.

The dude cannot move or extend plays. At all. He throws a really nice ball if he can keep everything in front of him and throw on time to a place.

If he can't and starts getting hit and tested, he starts looking really, really shaky.

We put some heat on Joe Burrow and got to him some early. His feet and mobility - and Jamie Skalski getting ejected in the third for targeting - is what made the difference.

Bama's good, but they are hardly unbeatable. Notre Dame is much better than us up front but they don't have nearly what we do at QB and the skill spots or in overall athleticism. Ohio State - who knows? They haven't played enough yet to really know for sure and if they don't play some more we may never know because they won't be eligible for their own conference title game...or the playoffs. I wouldn't put a 6-win team into the playoffs and neither, I suspect, will the Committee, not when teams went out of their way to play full seasons.

We're not perfect and our OL is a definite concern...but we may still be good enough.

Nov 29, 2020, 12:53 PM

Good assessment. But I think we also need to consider some comparison numbers. Pitt played us very similar D to the way they played ND, abandon A gap with ND as well etc etc. So let's look at the numbers b4 anyone writes our oline off as that bad. Pitts got a really good dline. Really good.

So, everyone would say ND has a stout oline. True. What the numbers tell us:

ND v Pitt - ND rushed 50 times for 112 yards

Clemson v Pitt - Clemson rushed 32 times for 143 yards

We held up pretty good. Our problem is not the skill, it's the depth. We had an outstanding oline in Q1 and Q2 got sloppy all around.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw a lot of improvement from the OL yesterday

Nov 29, 2020, 10:37 AM

We played some of the young guys. We ran the ball for 5 ypc vs 1 ypc in our last outing.

I think having Trevor getting us in the right plays made more of a difference than anything.

We’ll continue to improve, I’m looking forward to the look on Brian Kelly’s face

https://youtu.be/FTlfjhEBAWQ

Nov 29, 2020, 11:23 AM

There only 3 teams that have a chance. Clemson, Ohio State, and Bama. We have as good of a chance as anyone if healthy.

what buthurt fanbase are you from? go drink bleach***

Nov 29, 2020, 1:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Nov 29, 2020, 4:08 PM

Just wait. Clemson is going to start peaking at the right moment. Now that we are starting to get healthy, we will look like a different team.

We were without Trevor, Ladson, ngata against ND. I think by the end of the game, our defense was down a total of 8 starters(maybe 6)

Name another team who would take ND to double overtime without their starting QB, two starting WRs(three if you count Ross),and 8 or 6 starters on defense.

If ND would have been in our situation we would have won by 21+.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic