Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I’m glad we won last night..... but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

I’m glad we won last night..... but

Jan 29, 2020, 11:59 AM

Nothing has changed my mind about CBB. Nothing! He needs to go. Even when Mack was killing them he went away from him at the end.

Brownell is a lame duck coach, it really is that simple. We’re gonna finish around 15-17 wins and no tournament.

10 years, 2 tournament teams and 1 of them don’t count cause that’s op players.

10 years.... so if you guys are ok losing and making the tournament 1-2 times a decade.... brownell is your guy. But please don’t confuse yourself into thinking we will do any different, cause facts don’t back that up.

This will get downvoted like crazy and that’s fine.... people don’t like the truth.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m glad we won last night..... but

Jan 29, 2020, 12:03 PM

I completely agree - he gives false hope every season by having a decent 3-5 game stretch.. but then underwhelms for the other 90% of the schedule. EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.

He didn't go away from him at the end

Jan 29, 2020, 12:05 PM

By my count Mack scored 5 of our last 9 points last night. There are 5 players on the court and you have to take what the defense gives you.

If I'm remembering correctly there were two late possessions where the zone was pushing Mack out, giving an open pass to Simms in the high post, as the defense over-corrected and moved towards Simms he made great passes to an open Mack.

Last night was one of CBB's best in-game coaching jobs I've seen him have. To criticize him for that game is laughable at best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Jan 29, 2020, 12:07 PM

What you say is true. And I have no problems with it. Clemson is definitely a football school and no one can convince me otherwise. 100 years of history is compelling evidence.

Jan 29, 2020, 12:19 PM

I’m going to speak my mind and nothing is going to change it. I for one DO NOT care what you think. I’d be surprised if you ever spent one penny to support the program. You just like to whine about everything so go find another team and become a fake fan there because you aren’t needed here.

Jan 29, 2020, 12:26 PM

Not sure what else that person has posted on... but to blindly support a mediocre coach makes no sense. I for one have season tickets, go to games, and support the team. But I completely disagree with limping along for a decade with Brownell as a coach.

You can A) support the program and B) not like the coach. Those who think you can't do both of those are ignorant.

Jan 29, 2020, 12:27 PM

We shot about 30 3 pointers . . .crazy. We aren't a good shooting team. 30 attempts is crazy.

Exactly!

Jan 29, 2020, 12:44 PM

And as someone mentioned, the team went away from feeding Mack even though he was effective in attacking that zone.

Is it bad my kid even asked to stop shooting the 3s?

We shot 28 and made 9.

Jan 29, 2020, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m glad we won last night..... but ]

That's 32% which is pretty good. And we missed our last 8, so until then we were hitting 45% which is spectacular.

Cuse made 8 of 27 for 30% and they're a good shooting team.

It's not crazy at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

We had the corner 3's open all night yet we hardly ever

Jan 29, 2020, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m glad we won last night..... but ]

took them, instead firing contested 3's from Seneca.

That said, give Mack his props for a helluva game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: We had the corner 3's open all night yet we hardly ever

Jan 29, 2020, 1:42 PM

Yeah we definitely didnt take many from the corner. Trapp it one late but they were there. Maybe there was a specific reason like them rebounding those if you miss. ANother thing I noticed I dont think anyone had any or certainly not many fast break or transition baskets. The whole game was against half court set defenses.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We had the corner 3's open all night yet we hardly ever

Jan 29, 2020, 2:47 PM

Except for the winning basket!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

we played against syracuse who plays zone the WHOLE game

Jan 29, 2020, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m glad we won last night..... but ]

you have to take what they give you and, often, thats a 3.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ding ding ding***

Jan 29, 2020, 4:06 PM

average 26 per game

Jan 29, 2020, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m glad we won last night..... but ]

523 attempts in 20 games = 26.15

LOL

Jan 29, 2020, 5:22 PM

post an undisputed fact and get a TD :)

Agreed

Jan 29, 2020, 12:34 PM

I've been a staunch supporter of CBB, as I do with any coach at Clemson, but it really is time to make a fresh start.

Many coaches these days don't last 5 years, but he's gotten a much longer leash than that.

And there have been a lot of head-scratching moments under his leadership.

It really is time.

Re: "it really is time"

Jan 29, 2020, 10:05 PM

I've got an idea.

If you've been married ten years, just up and divorce your wife "because it's time."

Except you need to make sure you can replace her within 90 days. Obviously, you'll need to find someone willing to take her place. No problem, right?

And don't forget: this whole thing is about you becoming happy. So you'll need to make sure the replacement wife will perform so much better than the current wife that you forget all of the unhappiness that you bring to the marriage.

If you can't sell yourself as a desirable husband, can you at least sell yourself as a good Tiger fan?

Your opinion isn’t the truth it’s just

Jan 29, 2020, 12:52 PM

your opinion. Stop trying to oversimplify things, no one knows the future of our program just because of a stat line entirely based on tournament appearances. I don’t understand why tournament appearances are the only thing that matters to a lot of fans. Forget tournament wins, NIT births, ACC wins, overall direction of the program, which is way up. Forget difficulty of competition, forget recruiting against some of the best blue blood colleges in the country, many of who have a certain advantage that may or may not be legal, forget maintaining a clean program that does things the right way, forget the high level of graduation among athletes. Forget it all because apparently the only thing that is tournament appearances. And you know what fine, if that’s the case then fire him if you’d like, but guess what according to your statline you’ll be in the exact same place 10 years from now, because it’s very difficult to find success at Clemson in terms of tournament appearances. And those who have found success have left. I don’t know a lot of lame duck coaches who have out coached three hall of famers in a month.

thank you, thank you, thank you

Jan 29, 2020, 1:05 PM

and thank you. I've been trying to say this for 10 years. Brad Brownell is a fine coach. He does a great job with what he has. I think last year was a bit of a disappointment with all we had coming back, but for the most part, he gets more out of his players than some of the big boys in the ACC. He absolutely REFUSES to even bend the rules, graduates players, and has us competing in the middle of the pack in the league every year. I think he does a great job and i've been saying it for a decade. Just look at our coaching history and he is just as good as anybody we've ever had statistically. sure, OP took us to more tourneys but he literally NEVER WON A GAME in the tourney.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2020, 12:53 PM

I fall into an odd group concerning Coach Brownell. I thought that we should have gotten rid of him last year, but when we did not, I saw it as a 2 year decision. We knew at the time that we kept him that it was unlikely that this would be a very good year. To me that meant that barring discipline problems or severe moral problems, he should be the coach for '20-'21 as well. To me it is pointless to give a vote of confidence, only to set an unrealistic goal in order to keep it.

So far this year, in my honest opinion, this team has overperformed, and I don't foresee a win total that would change that opinion. I do think that Coach Brownell does a better job of getting more out of below average teams, than he does of getting that extra something out of a good team, but for this year I have to judge him on what we started with.

We have two very good big men coming in next year to go with the young guards from this year. This year's team has also shown an ability to win close games, which has been one of my knocks on Brownell teams of the past. Next year I will expect more, and if Coach Brownell and the Tigers do not produce, I will likely be one of the first calling for his head. But that is next year.

Spot on. You don't keep him for this year just to fire

Jan 29, 2020, 4:10 PM

him when the team predictably struggles while trying to replace a lot of key players from the previous two seasons.

Jan 29, 2020, 1:06 PM

I'm sure Dan is taking notes.

Jan 29, 2020, 1:21 PM

I have been the one of the biggest Brownell haters for years, but this season in fact I’ve begun to have a change of heart. This team, which let’s be honest, is pretty void of talent outside of Simms, Mack, and maybe Newman, I playing much better than I thought they would. They don’t shoot well, but that’s because none of them are good shooters. They have flaws and make mistakes, but they play extremely hard. All in all, I think it’s one of Brownell’s best coached teams. They’re unselfish and, honestly, are a pretty fun group to watch. At the beginning of the year, NO ONE thought this team would be any good, and they’re not great, but they’re better than expected. Brownell is getting everything he can out of a pretty subpar team, which is commendable in my eyes. I’ve never liked him, but he’s doing a decent job this year.

And also, everyone seems to think Clemson basketball has this illustrious history, like Brownell is ruining what used to be a storied program. I’ve seen The Judge mention it before, outside of a few good years under Barnes and Purnell, Clemson basketball is a historically bad program. I don’t know why people hold Brownell to some standard of greatness when that’s not what Clemson basketball has ever been. All things considered, he’s just average, with a few above average years (2017-18). Honestly, who do we think we could significantly better? Someone who would be willing to come to Clemson and could drastically improve the program? I can’t think of a single person. Brownell runs a good program with guys who fit the Clemson mold. He’s not a great recruiter, but it’s hard to recruit to Clemson. There’s nothing to sell in comparison to other teams in our recruiting landscape (UNC, Duke, etc). But he’s managed. He’s made great use of the transfer portal and given us some really good transfers (Reed, Thomas, even Mack this year), and he’s coached some really exciting players (McDaniels, Blossomgame). And now he’s finally starting to recruit a little bit. PJ Hall is a stud next year, as is Maxence-Prosper, and we want to let him go? Now that his teams are finally starting to come together? I know this expectation should be the best and nothing less, but what truly is the best for Clemson basketball? Is a National Championship the goal? Or is just being competitive in the ACC and making some tournament runs the goal? I think it should favor the latter, because that’s all Clemson has ever been in basketball. It would take a generational coach, like a basketball Dabo, to deliver Clemson bball to the promised land, and Brownell isn’t that, but I don’t think there’s a guy out there that would be willing to come to Clemson that can do that either. Brownell hasn’t ruined the program, he isn’t getting blown out every game, and he’s competitive in a good conference. He’s not a great coach, in game or recruiting, but what can Clemson really do that’s better?

you're wrong about 'went away from' Mack

Jan 29, 2020, 1:21 PM

other than Newman launching some 3's, the ball pretty much went to him most possessions

Mack scored 10 in the last 10 minutes of the gam

play-by-play proves it

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/playbyplay?gameId=401168540

Jan 29, 2020, 1:27 PM

A couple years ago I would agree. I’m leaning towards giving him a few more years just based on the young talent we have now and coming in. It would be a disaster for the program if we fired him now. The next coach would be starting from scratch with nothing to really build with. You’d have to give him a decade to see what he could do. Brownell inherited a program on the rise and he hasn’t done a good job but it would be in the best interest of the program if we kept him right now. Best case scenario he strings together a few NCAA appearances over the next 2-3 years and goes somewhere else.

Dang, JHop! Seems like you’re sinking further, faster!

Jan 29, 2020, 2:49 PM

What gives?

In industry there’s a term called MTBF(mean time between failure). It’s used to assess issues in processes or components.

Your account MTBF from JHop to TinCup, to DannybyGodFord is getting shorter and shorter!

Maybe it’s time for you to change your game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Basketball isn't fb - you get a great guard and another

Jan 29, 2020, 1:48 PM

player and you should have a good to great year every year

Our current coach hasn't been able to recruit those players and therefore no tournament

Coaches that have been able to get them have done well here

He runs a clean program

Is this all our AD wants? Is this all the alumni want?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2020, 2:55 PM

I don't think you're glad at all that we won last night. Why bother to say that? Just say you'd rather us lose so CBB would be quicker out the door.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2020, 4:10 PM

I don’t believe you. HTH

The truth is...

Jan 29, 2020, 4:11 PM

You come on here after every loss and you post similar crap like this...

You hate Brownell admit it....

P.S... I could only imagine how you felt about Dabo early in his tenure...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I cannot understand the hatred that is posted

Jan 29, 2020, 5:36 PM

on this board for OUR coach! He is the best X’s and O’s Coach in the ACC! In the last 16 days he has beat, and out coached three Hall of Fame coaches...with lesser material/talent. It wasn’t until recently that he got decent facilities, and that is paying off. Our recruiting is picking up and you cannot blame him for our injuries this year. Three of our preseason starters have been out all season until recently when one returned and scored 30+ last night.

Dang! Give the guy a break. Who could do better. Rather than bitxh about our team,, and coach, support them. Otherwise I think you are all #####.

Outstanding post!***

Jan 29, 2020, 7:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Who do u want. That will come. Clemson is probably

Jan 29, 2020, 7:20 PM

The hardest places to be successful in the nation.all good coaches that came here left because the fear of not maintaining success

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2020, 8:27 PM

“One of them don’t count”

This post is a complete joke. Stick to football.

Re: this is gonna get downvoted like crazy

Jan 29, 2020, 9:43 PM

I no longer downvote blind ignorant fans. I let your blindness and ignorance speak for itself.

Coach B is performing the best coaching job of his Clemson life, and this Euro-style team is providing a historic level of excitement.

The only fans who don't get it are the ones who complain, win or lose. "Don't like the truth"??? You're selective with the truth, so you obviously don't like it either.

Jan 29, 2020, 9:56 PM

Coach BB is a fantastic basketball coach. I am not overwhelmed with his recruiting, but to criticize him after that victory is ludicrous. We actually are leading series overall v. Syracuse. They have an arena for basketball that seats 34,000 and we half fill one with 9,000 for an ACC game. Great effort last night.

Jan 29, 2020, 9:56 PM

Coach BB is a fantastic basketball coach. I am not overwhelmed with his recruiting, but to criticize him after that victory is ludicrous. We actually are leading series overall v. Syracuse. They have an arena for basketball that seats 34,000 and we half fill one with 9,000 for an ACC game. Great effort last night.

Feb 2, 2020, 8:55 AM

Guys i'm not at all surprised about losing to Wake last night.

I don't expect to beat the best teams in this league all the time... But I sure do expect to beat last place Wake.

This is who CBB is....

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic