Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Notre Dame in playoff addressed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Notre Dame in playoff addressed

Oct 12, 2018, 8:14 AM

The Power Five commissioner was ready for the question: How about Notre Dame in the playoff?
"I would refer you to the protocol," the commish countered.
Well played, Mr. Commissioner. In that moment, you knew exactly what he was referring to. The College Football Playoff protocol adopted six years ago grandly states that "when circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable …" one way to separate them is by: *championships won.
You don't have to be hit over the head with a shillelagh to know Notre Dame, as an independent, doesn't qualify for that bullet point.
Two words in a nine-page document are significant lately not only because the Irish are a playoff factor but also because any mention of such produces its own share of bullet points regarding the Irish.
*Jealousy.
*Acrimony.
*Indignation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Notre Dame in playoff addressed

Oct 12, 2018, 8:29 AM

And the fact th as the Bowls, and now the Championship was really created by the Power 5 for their own benefit.

Outsiders such as NotreDame and AAC teams like UCF are not really welcome. And the Power 5 will keep them out

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2018, 8:47 AM

"when circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable"

The phrase above is open to interpretation by individual committee members. There will be those that if it comes down to ND and one other for the final spot, will believe that at the margins the teams arent comparable.

Expand CFP to eight. The P5 conference championship requirement zealots get their way with an auto bid and three at large.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can the 3 at-large spots come from the P5 conferences?***

Oct 12, 2018, 9:43 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Expand to 5 and

Oct 12, 2018, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame in playoff addressed ]

have a playoff game between the 4th and 5th teams to earn the playoff spot between the 1st and 4th teams.

I'm assuming no one is on board with Mike Leach's 64-team tournament

Oct 12, 2018, 10:02 AM

https://youtu.be/EeRzfOvWqnI

Re: I'm assuming no one is on board with Mike Leach's 64-team tournament

Oct 12, 2018, 11:01 AM

64 teams is too many. 32 teams would work. 16 teams is ideal. 8 satisfies everyone but what if we cut out some cupcakes only played our conference, and then added games at the end of the season. So 8 may not be ideal either. Maybe Leach is right. Maybe we should all say, “Mark it an 8, Donny, and you’re in a world of pain.”

bunk that. .. 6 teams

Oct 12, 2018, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame in playoff addressed ]

5 conference champs ..done. no voting no polls. fork sos and fpi. I don't care what the records are.

6th spot can be for any one else.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Oct 12, 2018, 10:11 AM

Another factor against ND in the playoff is strength of schedule. As the season has played out, it is not looking nearly as strong as it did before the season started. The playoff hopes for ND rely on two main factors... lack of other undefeated teams and the results of U of Michigan. If UM folds late season as is typical, they will have no true signature wins and no conference championship.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup...

Oct 12, 2018, 10:22 AM

the wins against Michigan, Stanford and Virginia Tech aren't going to be real resume builders when each of those teams has three or four losses.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2018, 10:36 AM

Please keep in mind the wording of the protocol. It's written this way to leave them an out:

"ONE WAY" to separate them is by: *championships won.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope a statement is made about their lack of conference

Oct 12, 2018, 10:37 AM

affiliation in football. It will be humorous and
ironic if Notre Dame's greed and arrogance of not
wanting to share their TV money keeps them out of
the playoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting thing about that...

Oct 12, 2018, 10:49 AM

Notre Dame receives about $15 million annually from NBC.

The ACC’s average distribution to its full-time members was $26.6 million

Equally as interesting; John Swofford is the second highest paid commissioner among the Power 5 conferences. Swofford makes $3.3 million annually which is second the Pac-12’s Larry Scott who makes $4.8 million. Why is that interesting; because the ACC is dead last in conference revenue compared to the other Power 5 conferences.

So if ND was in the conference in football,

Oct 12, 2018, 10:58 AM

their $15 million split 15 ways would add an
extra million to the average payout, or $27.6 million.
And put them in the Coastal and we can play them in
the ACCCG for the right to go to the CFP. Win win.

Re: So if ND was in the conference in football,

Oct 12, 2018, 11:26 AM

Add ND to the ACC and the contract could be re-negotiated with MUCH better terms. I would expect $30M per school annually at a minimum.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alabama and O31O State both made the CFP as non-champs.

Oct 12, 2018, 11:33 AM

Notre Dame at 12-0 would easily garner the same consideration.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've said it before and I will say it again....

Oct 12, 2018, 11:42 AM

a 12 - 0 Notre Dame is probably going to get in the four team CFP field but not ahead of any undefeated Power 5 conference champion. As an example;

1 - Alabama (13 - 0 and $EC Champions)

2 - Ohio State (13 - 0 and BIG Champions)

3 - Clemson (13 - 0 and ACC Champions)

4 - Notre Dame (12 - 0)

The Pac 12 and the Big 12 champions will both likely have one or more losses.

Now, should this occur, the committee will play shenanigans with the seedings in order to try to set-up an Alabama/Notre Dame final.

You realize that there is 0.00% of that happening***

Oct 12, 2018, 11:45 AM

Re: I've said it before and I will say it again....

Oct 12, 2018, 11:53 AM [ in reply to I've said it before and I will say it again.... ]

A Bama-ND final would be the least competitive championship since--umm, the last time ND was deemed "competitive." The majority of TVs would be switched to a different channel by halftime.

But I can see you being right. It's not about the game. So long as the hype machine can sell tickets, commercials and interest until kickoff, the competitiveness of the game itself is an extra.

Doesn't mean anything. Ohio St and Bama

Oct 12, 2018, 11:44 AM

are proof

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic