Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: Where Did Our Rivalry Go?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Plyler's Blog: Where Did Our Rivalry Go?

Jul 21, 2016, 10:44 AM

Where Did Our Rivalry Go?

Where Did Our Rivalry Go?
It seems like yesterday Clemson fans had to endure the five bomb photos from our arch rival. Raise your hand if you would have thought the gap could have been closed and widened on the right side of the rivalry this fast.

Clemson is picked by many to make a ret

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It went back to normal is where it went.

Jul 21, 2016, 10:50 AM

They have a 25 year loss deficit still (after winning 5 in a row).....enough said. Clemson's always been more dominant over history....they just had a mere little 5 year blip.

Re: It went back to normal is where it went.

Jul 21, 2016, 6:49 PM

Their 5 year win streak was with good reason. We had TB that had been beating USUC, then Spurrier come in and was catching up and passing us in recruiting. TB fired mid season, and we lost more than half what looked to be a top 20 class, and the dandy dozen was the straw that broke our back in recruiting. Sprurrier working hard to get a head of Clemson and the freshest HC that Spurrier ever had in a rivalry. He beat Dabo on the field and in the media. Spurriers 2nd loss to Dabo was bc Dabo had gotten a good grip on being a HC, and hired two coaches that worked out well for us, and Spurrier saw the writing on the wall, Dabo had to grow up quick and did at the same time while Spurrier was being broke down. Dabo's 2nd win over Spurrier help send Spurrier to walking away. Clemson was to deep for Spurrier to try and catch back up, and that has sent They Suck on no telling how many games in the L column, 5,6,7, maybe 8 to 10 win streak. Stick a fork in them, it will be a long long long time b4 they can brag to us about a win over us. How sweet it is for usuc to be a practice dummy for us going into the playoffs!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plyler's Blog: Where Did Our Rivalry Go?

Jul 21, 2016, 10:51 AM

Writting has been on the wall for a couple of years now. The only "boom" the coots will be hearing is when opposing teams open up cans of whoooopa$$ on them on Saturdays.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2016, 11:12 AM
boom x bar.jpg(173.0 K)
kramer.gif(602.5 K)

Boom :)

Haven't you heard?

Jul 21, 2016, 11:21 AM

coots are looking for diamonds in the rough, not blue chip players. lol

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This article assumes that there ever was a real rivalry

Jul 21, 2016, 11:27 AM

Fact is that before the Coots historic, at least for them, 5 peat this wasn't really a rivalry. It was all but assured that Clemson would win 3 or 4 times out of 5 and allow SC one or two games every half decade. That ain't a rivalry. That's a big brother giving little brother one or two games of pick up ball to make themselves feel better about always being second best, second choice and second rate.

Re: This article assumes that there ever was a real rivalry

Jul 21, 2016, 6:52 PM

We had won 8 of 10 b4 Spurrier got them going for just a little while!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2016, 11:42 AM

Those mutants Mickey mentioned on D really helped them.

Carolina was also enormous on the offensive line. When Brandon Shell is one of your little ones, you've got a big OL. They got Lattimore, and then we were stupid and passed on Mike Davis - who in honesty was as good as his brother James was - and gifted them a bell-cow feature RB who was really, really good behind that enormous OL.

When you can play some serious defense, and when you can make the tough yards on the ground and play Big Boy football behind an elephant-sized OL, you can compete in the SEC and anywhere in the nation. We got our tails kicked physically several years in a row, and it started on the line of scrimmage. It also didn't hurt them that Connor Shaw turned out to be one of the most underrated, tough SOB's who ever suited up for Carolina. Keep in mind Shaw was a project player from an option offense in high school; his brother Jaybo played - briefly - at Georgia Tech for Paul Johnson, but couldn't win a starting job, and Jaybo and Connor were pretty much dead-even in terms of talent; Jaybo might have even been the superior athlete. For sure nobody saw Connor Shaw coming.

Does make you wonder what's happened to the talent pool here in the state, though. Is it cyclical, or have programs just dropped off for some reason? But it's been grim, the last few years, and really doesn't seem to be getting any better. In contrast Atlanta's been producing a bumper crop almost up there with what Miami used to produce.

I think it's somewhat cyclical, but we have been better

Jul 21, 2016, 12:48 PM

than we have been in 30 years. They got worse, probably even a little worse than their average team, and we are on one of the best runs in Clemson history. So it's a story of two somewhat extremes right now. I would expect that 3-5 years from now the rivalry will be more competitive.

Where did the fans go?

Jul 21, 2016, 11:45 AM

I saw people who never cared about South Carolina football and casually watched Clemson all of sudden turn to die hard Gamecocks. They struck it hot to their credit. They won 11 games three years in a row in a time that the SEC was winning the National Championship every year and ESPN was claiming them better than the NFC South. I mean they were basically two wins (one more regular season win and the SEC Championship) away three years in a row from playing in the National Championship game.

Then poof. Like a thief in the night, The Citadel Bulldogs closed the coffin on the best 5 years in South Carolina Football.

'He was gone'

Jul 21, 2016, 12:31 PM

SOS deliberately screwed them.

Jul 21, 2016, 11:51 AM

On SOS's worst day he could have done a better job at recruiting than he did the last couple of years. He had our number and he held his own in the SEC least. He even won a division title while coaching one of the most pathetic programs in the country. 100 years without a bowl win? Yes, that's USuCk.

We knew SOS was a classless turd decades ago when he coached against Danny. When he was at UF we saw him throw deep in the fourth quarter against Vandy with a 40 point lead. That's about as classless as a coach can be.

Imo, he's one of the all time top ten college coaches. Yes, better than Saban. SOS ussured in the style of football we are playing now. He changed the game and left his mark on it for all time.

There is no way a man that good could let a program fall apart without intent. I don't know what they did to #### him off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SOS deliberately screwed them.

Jul 21, 2016, 11:58 AM

Lol I gave you a TU for the good points, but those two wins would have been pretty darn difficult. And by difficult I mean the 2nd one impossible. Ok yes one game, once upon a time they beat Bama. But what Is their overall record against the SEC West? I need to look into that, because while they rarely play any of the better west teams, it is a most one decent west team a year, last year LSU, and a mediocre A&M, they are still owned and property of SEC West.

Re: SOS deliberately screwed them.

Jul 21, 2016, 12:36 PM

Class of '09 critical response to the truth begins in 5, 4, 3, .........

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This ^^^. Not sure if deliberate but by

Jul 21, 2016, 1:14 PM [ in reply to SOS deliberately screwed them. ]

Not stepping down the year before, and sold as if doing them a favor he basically screwed them out of a full year of good recruiting and then left like he did making another year tough to recruit. At the same time the Clemson Tigers are hitting what may end up being an all time high but is at least a recent high and is an "it" place to be. Clemson offer is now coveted. Doesn't add up well. Then you put all your money on a proven bag of crap but hitch high hopes to him. No won't be surprised if he improves 2nd and 3rd year Bc of newness, excitement etc. but IMO he leaves the place worse than he found it. Our tommy west? At least Bowden left it better than he found it . . .

The Reason SOS Left

Jul 22, 2016, 10:32 AM

I heard the reason the Ol' Ball Sack left was due to the beer tap being turned off in his office
and the liquor deliveries as well

Re: The Reason SOS Left

Jul 22, 2016, 11:00 AM

The coots are EXTREMELY lucky. During their 5-game streak, we happened to be very good most of those years as well. If the coots didn't have SpurLid and a few huge playmakers, they would have lost 3-4 of those games... What then? This rivalry would be nonexistent. That 5-game streak essentially saved it.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Deer Santa,

Jul 21, 2016, 7:19 PM

I would like a rivalry. Ours is broke again. Thank you for giving me that the last time I asked. Tommy Bowden was our coach then. Anyways, Mom says I am asking too much from you this time so I understand if it just isn't possible. Anything I get will be fine and I will leave milk and cookies as always. If you don't mind, can I ask for peace and forgiveness for all? Coots too Bless their hearts...

Thank you Santa

I'm always a bit torn on the rivalry

Jul 22, 2016, 8:56 AM

I'm always a bit torn on the rivalry. On one hand I love seeing us whoop the Gamecocks 63-17, enjoy every Saturday when I hear they lost (especially to teams like Citadel!), and love seeing them picked last and generally derided and discounted by the media. On the other hand, I'd love to see our rivalry become one of the great rivalries in the nation and for everyone to know the rich history of it. I'd love to see it become like a Fla-Fla St, an Ohio-Michigan, or even a Georgia-Georgia Tech and be a Gameday kind of game. But to do that, we both have to be good. While it's a ton of fun for us, no one cares if we beat a 0-10 or a 2-8 SC team. Since they're in a different conference, the only way it will ever matter is national polls and bowl game chances. Our rivalry has one of the best histories of any of them out there, but because it's never mattered outside the state of SC, for the most part, no one cares. Oh well. In the meantime it's great to be big brother and be back to whooping their feathered tails!

Re: I'm always a bit torn on the rivalry

Jul 22, 2016, 8:59 AM

"no one cares if we beat a 0-10 or a 2-8 SC team."

That's BS!

Do you live outside of SC?

It's the smallest southern state.

Never, ever want them to be good!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jul 22, 2016, 9:26 AM

That's what I meant - no one outside the state cares. I'D like this rivalry to mean something in the national media. I think it'd be great for the university and for the rivalry. I don't ever WANT them to be good - if you read the whole post you'd see that. I love laughing at the scores of their games and hearing that they lost to Citadel, Vandy, etc. But for the national picture, the big picture outside of our state, it helps us if they (and all of our opponents) are good when we beat them. College football is bigger than the state of SC now.

Jul 22, 2016, 12:04 PM

Completely agree w/ O2B. Our "rivalry" is boring - and correct, no one outside of SC cares if we beat an 2-8 SC team.

I believe by SC law we are legislatively bound to play them every year, but it should be scheduled as a "kick-off" game, then play Georgia for our real rivalry game (i.e. a OU - Michigan type rivalry), a rivalry must to have post-season implications for it to matter ...

Jul 22, 2016, 12:17 PM

Can it really be considered a rivalry?? It hasn't exactly been competitive through the years.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic