Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting stat on undrafted underclassmen...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Interesting stat on undrafted underclassmen...

Apr 28, 2019, 6:30 AM

Thought this list was interesting:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028642/article/2019-nfl-draft-30-underclassmen-go-unselected

"Of the 103 underclassmen who received special eligibility to enter the 2019 NFL Draft, 30 went undrafted (29 percent).....Last year, 35 percent of underclassmen went undrafted."

As has been noted on the board, Tre Lemar was one of those 30 who went undrafted this year. They way they have sorted the list of undrafted underclassmen it appears that Tre has not earned his degree. It makes me wonder what his NFL draft grade was when he made his decision to leave early. I also wonder how historically accurate these NFL draft grades have been.

I really think Dabo's philosophy on early departures is spot on - if you don't have your degree and aren't an early round projection then you should not leave school. Stay and get your degree! Making an NFL roster is an "iffy" proposition even if you are drafted much less an undrafted free agent. Unlike an NFL career, a college degree is forever...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting stat on undrafted underclassmen...

Apr 28, 2019, 7:34 AM

You're spot on about the degree. Without a degree and eligibility left, a player should definitely stay in school. The only exception I see would be a 1st round pick.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m all for the degree but it is unlikely his stock would have improved.

Apr 28, 2019, 7:48 AM

The biggest knock seemed to be his 40 speed and that doesn’t improve. I sort of wish there was a deal like basketball is it?? Where if you’re undrafted you can go back to school. But the difference may have something to do with hiring an agent and you probably can’t face the nfl draft without one. Again I’d love for him to have gotten his degree and wear orange for one more year but there is no guarantee that he would go any higher. And probably wouldn’t have.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m all for the degree but it is unlikely his stock would have improved.

Apr 28, 2019, 8:11 AM

I like the idea:

"I sort of wish there was a deal like basketball is it?? Where if you’re undrafted you can go back to school."

Underclassmen that declare but don't get drafted really need a safety-net option to return to college.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m all for the degree but it is unlikely his stock would have improved.

Apr 28, 2019, 8:30 AM

I think you should take it a step further and let what happens in baseball happen across the board. If you are or are not drafted you can still return to college sports. I believe in baseball you can get drafted and if you aren't happy with your offer or where you are drafted you can still play college ball. I think the difference is the agents involved with the NFL draft. I don't think the agent situation is what it is in baseball or basketball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re right. It’s baseball. And it’s all about the agency stuff I think

Apr 28, 2019, 8:42 AM

Seems like all the ncaa rules favor everyone except the student athlete. But it wouldn’t be an easy fix unless they went without an agent. But then they’d probably get screwed along the way. So I don’t know. But I agree with what you’ve said. These kids are 20 and 21 years old likely if they are underclassmen. There are some errors such as coming out a year early that could be due to their time of life and shouldn’t be unforgivable.

I can't guarantee that he wouldn't have gone higher but I

Apr 28, 2019, 8:41 AM [ in reply to I’m all for the degree but it is unlikely his stock would have improved. ]

can guarantee that he wouldn't have gone lower.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fair. Especially specifically his case.***

Apr 28, 2019, 8:45 AM

Pretty sure his 3-cone and all would've been bad too

Apr 28, 2019, 8:45 AM [ in reply to I’m all for the degree but it is unlikely his stock would have improved. ]

He's just not quick and agile. Would've been a great LB prospect 15-20 years ago - maybe even an early rounder.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic