Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For the 8 team playoff folks,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

For the 8 team playoff folks,

Dec 14, 2018, 12:28 PM

I have no problem with more college football but let’s be honest, you will have an incompetent committee ( much like the one that let Bama in last year) make choices for the other 4 teams. You know what that means right? You would have several 3 loss teams in the playoffs. With this years rankings in mind, do you really want to LSU, Kentucky, Florida, or Washington in?
Let me make this perfectly clear, if you have 1 loss, okay we get it, every team has a bad game every once in a while, with 2 losses I will take other teams with 1 loss and a better resume, but with 3 losses, absolutely not, you are not getting in.
Why would people want to see Filipe Franks and the Florida Gators play potentially a 9-3 Kentucky team? Didn’t they already play in regular season? In the 4 team playoff, EVERY GAME COUNTS and each game in regular season is a PLAYOFF game. Don’t cheapen the playoffs by putting a bunch of bad teams in period!

Message was edited by: Touch_The_Rock79

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a n advocate of 1 form of a potential 8 team tournament

Dec 14, 2018, 12:39 PM

And that is one which includes:

Automatic bids:
~ 5 P5 conference champs (determined by whatever method the conference wants to use)
~ 1 undefeated "Major Independents" (currently this is probably only potentially ND) as long as 60% of their wins come against teams with a winning record (though they would be eligible for at large consideration if not)

At-Large Bids:
~ Priority: Undefeated non P5 conference champs
~ If spots still open at large "best other" with the caveat that there cannot be more than 2 teams from the same conference

First round 2 weeks after conf champ games at home field of higher seeded teams.

I don't mind how it is now, I'm fine with some drama, but I really think this system fixes a few issues and would provide for some more meaningful late season games

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Walt...is that you?***

Dec 14, 2018, 12:44 PM

Daggumit, my cover's blown

Dec 14, 2018, 12:53 PM

Truthfully though, never heard a second of his show (unless there was a clip here sometime).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm a n advocate of 1 form of a potential 8 team tournament

Dec 14, 2018, 12:53 PM [ in reply to I'm a n advocate of 1 form of a potential 8 team tournament ]

I’m in favor for more of a 6 team playoff I guess. Cut out the committee and human judging (we do not see the SEC in the same light as they do). 5 power 5 conference championship winners
( which is determined all season long and settled on the field) and 1 at large (the next highest ranked team).
1st seed gets rewarded with a first round bye.

We HAD an eleven team playoff THIS YEAR

Dec 14, 2018, 12:46 PM

5, Power 5 Conference Championship Games plus Notre Dame.

D'phuck do you people want?

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Cute Crump. Ph uck is a bad word..

Dec 14, 2018, 12:48 PM

-Doc

Re: We HAD an eleven team playoff THIS YEAR

Dec 14, 2018, 1:09 PM [ in reply to We HAD an eleven team playoff THIS YEAR ]

I don't see tOSU or Washington in the CFP. If the conference championship games are defacto playoff games, then I have the confuse.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are too dense.

Dec 14, 2018, 1:13 PM

That's why you are confused.

-Doc

Actually it was a SIXTEEN TEAM PLAYOFF

Dec 14, 2018, 1:11 PM [ in reply to We HAD an eleven team playoff THIS YEAR ]

Elimination Games:

UGA-KY
Washington-Washington St.
OK-WVA
Ohio St.-Michigan
UCF

So, that takes care of those 16 Team wanting Waterheads....

-Doc

Really?

Dec 14, 2018, 1:13 PM

Strange tournament format if the winners don't advance

You missed a few play-in games..

Dec 14, 2018, 1:22 PM

Ohio St.-Purdue

Washington-Auburn

Washington-Oregon

But you just keep inventing reality that you want...

-Doc

In principle that is true, but in reality

Dec 14, 2018, 1:12 PM [ in reply to We HAD an eleven team playoff THIS YEAR ]

The pac12 and big10 conf champ games had zero impact on the cfp this year.

In fact the 1 loss big10 conference champ couldn't even crack the top 5.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Horseshi t

Dec 14, 2018, 1:16 PM

Both were in the equation as the CFP rankings were released. As weeks advanced, so they were eliminated. Just like an early playoff round.

Why are you fighting reality?

-Doc

OK, I see what you meant

Dec 14, 2018, 1:19 PM

You said we had an 11 TEAM playoff, what you meant was to say we had an 11 WEEK playoff.

Of course. Problems with that?

Dec 14, 2018, 1:24 PM

-Doc

I'm game.. so if regular season games count...by your definition

Dec 14, 2018, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Horseshi t ]

There are 120 teams eligible for the cfp...12 games each..
So 720 games + 10 conf champ games? so..
730 playoff games.

That seems plenty to me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: I'm game.. so if regular season games count...by your definition

Dec 14, 2018, 1:30 PM

To clarify, every regular season game counts for power 5 conferences. I would like to see a next level championship playoff to come into effect. Non power 5 CFP or the NIT of college football if you will.

Remarkably obtuse reasoning considering 2 of the contests

Dec 14, 2018, 1:40 PM [ in reply to We HAD an eleven team playoff THIS YEAR ]

you refer to meant zilch, zero, nada. Just sayin.

I'm a less is more fan - ditch the five all over the map CCG's and replace with four meaningful contests of P5 champs plus 3 at-large. And ditch divisions = better regular seasons.

- wbl

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed.. 2 teams, 4 teams, 8 teams, 64 teams

Dec 14, 2018, 12:57 PM

Will always be flawed if a group of people can simply choose who ever they want.

But, I'd be ok with 3 loss teams that won their conference champ game.

The past 4 years we haven't needed a 4 team playoff

Dec 14, 2018, 1:15 PM

It's us, Bammer, then 50 feet of chit, then everyone else. Not sure why we aren't dropping back to 2 instead of moving to 4.

Why are we thinking so small? Let's do a 24 team playoff!

Dec 14, 2018, 1:45 PM

The FCS does it, so why not us? ;)

Incompetent committee??

Dec 14, 2018, 1:58 PM

The one that let Bama in last year. The Bama that beat the number 1 team handidly and won it all. I think they may have gotten it right. Plenty of non conference champions win it all in other sports. Why not football?

Message was edited by: elcid1985®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

Re: Incompetent committee??

Dec 14, 2018, 2:15 PM

Yes the same incompetent comitee that let a conference loser (Alabama) and allowed a team ( Alabama) to have nearly a month to prepare, heal and game plan for teams actually going through grind of conference championship game practices and champioship games.

Dec 14, 2018, 2:26 PM

Yeah...it was us having only 4 weeks to get ready while Bama got 5 weeks that resulted in us not being able to score a touchdown.

Dec 14, 2018, 2:32 PM

So you are saying that you are ok with undeserving teams getting essentially a bye week right before important games?

Didn't you both have one loss

Dec 14, 2018, 2:35 PM

theirs to Auburn # 2, Clemson to unranked Syracuse.

So this year

Dec 14, 2018, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Incompetent committee?? ]

they had to prepare for UGA while the Tigers prepared for 7-5 unranked Pitt. Advantage Tigers

Re: So this year

Dec 14, 2018, 2:44 PM

Clemson still practiced and prepared for and play an extra game. If you’ve ever played any sport, 1 month is a very long time to get players healthy and prepare. Alabama had that last year. You can sit there and deny it but facts are facts. Oh and you can still get injured in a game whether the opponent is 12-0 or 7-5. Some people have no clue how football works!

Message was edited by: Touch_The_Rock79

In the words of a Wise Man

Dec 14, 2018, 2:46 PM

Yeah...it was us having only 4 weeks to get ready while Bama got 5 weeks that resulted in us not being able to score a touchdown.

Re: For the 8 team playoff folks,

Dec 14, 2018, 2:41 PM

At face value, the 8 team playoff seems good.

In reality, understanding how inept the committee is, paired with the fact that there is a clear and present SEC bias, I see most of the support for an 8 team playoff coming from 2 purely corrupt points of reasoning:

1. The earliest protests calling for an 8 team playoff were from the "sore losers" a la TCU and Baylor. 2 teams who did not belong and were not selected, yet whined and whined ad nauseaum. This is one major camp in the 8 team argument. Sore losers like UGA who cant accept the fact that they are not one of the 4 best teams and thus whine and whine until they get their way. Its the same BS as allowing "waivers" for sub .500 teams to go to bowl games. Its ridiculous and its appeasing to losers who cant accept the fact they LOST and are not eligible to be in.

2. SEC Bias. Now a days, the SEC has been weakened. It is not the same powerhouse conference it was in the 2000's, and it desperately needs to maintain that image in the wake of having some of the largest and most biased sports contracts handed their way recently (see SEC Network, ESPN's financial obligations to hype the SEC, etc.) This year, the strongest proponents for an 8 team system come from the SEC, who use media hype to falsely inflate their rankings. Florida? Kentucky? Give me a break. These are not top 10 teams, and everyone knows it. They would get demolished in the playoff, even if it were an 8 team structure. But, win or lose, the SEC would get a huge payday. The current support for an 8 team system almost entirely stems from the SEC's scheming attempts to expand the playoff, which would allow their falsely overhyped teams to get in. An 8 team playoff would almost ALWAYS be comprised of at lest 4 SEC, most of whom would have no business being in the playoff. The current support for an 8 team format comes from the desire for the SEC to expand and create a TV monopoly on college football. The "College Football Playoff" would effectively be the "Post-SEC Conference Championship Conference Championship Playoff" and would be intentionally structured to prioritize SEC teams selections, even if those SEC teams did not deserve to be there.

tl;dr the 2 biggest supporters for the 8 team playoff are sore losers like UGA and TCU, or SEC homers trying to pack the post season playoff with SEC teams for a media monopoly and bigger payout $$$$

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic