Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Final Maryland Thoughts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Final Maryland Thoughts

Oct 27, 2013, 10:23 PM

Final Maryland Thoughts

Not sure what to make of Clemson’s 40-27 victory over Maryland Saturday at Byrd Stadium? Join the club. Photo by Mitch Stringer / US PRESSWIRE Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Final Maryland Thoughts

Oct 27, 2013, 10:27 PM

David that seems like a cootish thing to do misspelling Coach Swinney's name.... Maybe autocorrect just changed it

I totally agree with that analysis.***

Oct 27, 2013, 10:36 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2013, 10:59 PM

Stats look better than the actual game, IMO. Very sloppy win, but glad it is behind us. Not easy to follow a beating in an environment like MD. Tigers did take care of business, and I believe they learned something about themselves last weekend, too. Lets just take the next 3 steps and move on to greater things.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2013, 8:16 AM

Hopefully they will change gears before taking those steps. Right now we are in reverse.....

Oct 28, 2013, 11:17 AM

I think we were in reverse, especially in the FSU game. Maybe we are shifting back to neutral on the way through all 6 speeds from here out. I would hope we get many interior line issues fixed along with broken coverage by secondary. If we fix those problems the rest works pretty good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2013, 10:09 PM

How do you "fix" a lack of talent?

Oct 29, 2013, 9:32 AM

By shifting personnel or maybe by benching somebody who isn't getting it done in favor of a more aggressive guy. It may just be that we don't have any better OL to sub, but if that's the case we still are doomed anyway. I don't believe we have the best on the field. I think it is Battle who isn't in the lineup due to some attitude issue, but he dang sure played pretty good against LSU's studly defensive front guys.

Oct 28, 2013, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Final Maryland Thoughts ]

And as CU81 said, fix the turnovers, too. That would eliminate a lot of issues, too.

Priority number one - stop turning the ball over

Oct 28, 2013, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Final Maryland Thoughts ]

The biggest fix is taking care of the football. Don't fumble on the first two possessions of the second half and score at least one touchdown when we stalled in the red zone and this game has a different feel. Agree with the commentary though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2013, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Final Maryland Thoughts ]

Good luck with that. If Maryland had been at full strength, we lose that game.

That sums it up pretty well.***

Oct 27, 2013, 11:26 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Good article. Well written David.

Oct 28, 2013, 8:42 AM

We all know it was a win, but it just didn't feel like a win should feel.

Dead zone production falls squarely on the OL, they STILL

Oct 28, 2013, 9:00 AM

cannot move anybody in the run game. All summer and fall, all we heard was how we were back to having a physical powerful line. What B.S. Same group, same soft output.

Still Missing Leadership

Oct 28, 2013, 9:42 AM

We can "correct" all we want, this is all coaches can do when no player is the clear leader on either side of the ball. When Tajh decides to do it, we play at an elite level on offense, when he plays timid we stink. Still waiting to see anybody step up on defense and get the whole unit playing better, Beasley is our best chance but it hasn't happened. Saturday looked alot like last year's defensive unit...headless horseman in secondary especially. It's like we played scared to make mistakes which of course causes mistakes and timid play. Only fix is to find a leader and give him some freedom to lead...if somebody doesnt step up this will continue.

Oct 28, 2013, 10:40 AM

Whats the deal with the two pooch kickoffs in the forth quarter. I can't think of a good reason for them. The Twerps got decent field position on both of them and went on to score. Did they have a dangerous kick returner or was it a case of some coach overthinking the situation.

I'll tell ya what our problems are...

Oct 28, 2013, 11:13 AM

Sloppy, sloppy play. Here's what's wrong with the offense: The offensive line is hot garbage right now. With the exception of Brandon Thomas, the OL is getting dominated. There's no push or effort, hence the 4 FG's inside the redzone.

It's difficult to get Brooks and McDowell to run between the tackles when there's a defender 2 yards deep in the backfield every play. Boyd can't get a pass off because any DC worth a crap is blitzing the right side and the OL is collapsing. Speaking of Boyd, stop staring down your target. You're giving the play away every time.

I was glad to see Hot Rod break 160 yards. We need to commit to the run more often as it works. Maybe we were a bit spoiled with Ford and Allen, but Seckinger just isn't getting it done. I think an injured Cooper or Leggett would be a vast improvement.

And WR's realize that there is a hot read on a blitz and break off your route. One of Boyd's picks was because Williams didn't break off his route.

On defense: The front seven look solid, maybe a bit outta shape. But if I see Travis Blanks out their again, looking lost, taking bad angles, not wrapping up on tackles, I may lose my effin mind. These 70 yard long TD's we are giving up every week are getting old, real fast. Kearse made a good stop in the endzone with the pick, but I've seen him get trucked one too many times this season. Poor tackling technique. Honestly, Breeland is the only bright spot in the secondary. He mans up on coverage, and actually TURNS TO MAKE A PLAY ON THE BALL. Vendables, please stop dropping us back into prevent defense. We are getting torched in that defense. Instead, I'd rather see pressure with blitzes. We're giving up the same result, but at least we have a chance to sack the QB.

You know what our real problem is? I've said it a 1000 times before ----> Strength and Conditioning. Our guys look slow and out of shape and you're starting to see this on the field. I swear I've seen these guys gaining weight during the season. That should be impossible. You saw it in the FSU game. We have comparable athletes. We should not be losing by 37 at HOME. Bastion needs to go, PERIOD.

We need to ramp up recruiting with the OL too. If I was Caldwell I'd bench every single starter except Thomas. Davis and Shatley either do not know how to pull on a running play or don't want to. They don't fire off the ball either. We should be mowing down inferior defensive lines. If the OL doesn't get their crap together the Chickens will have a field day with Boyd in Columbia.

We will be lucky to get 10 wins this season if these problems don't get fixed.

Message was edited by: Tiger Diesel®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll tell ya what our problems are...

Oct 28, 2013, 11:47 AM

the offensive line had zero push and didn't open a hole in the middle all day. Imagine the rushing yards if they could! Boyd looks (mostly) uninterested - too much Heisman hype maybe? (hope the knee is OK!) When the going gets tough, the leader should want the ball in his hands to get the job done (Conner Shaw anyone?) The trip to Columbia is going to be horrible if we don't find a spark.

You two are both correct. But it gets worse

Oct 28, 2013, 11:53 AM

Its not like we were playing the Maryland team from earlier in the year - yea, you know the heathy one that still lost to FSU by 63 points? Yea, we got man handled by the 2nd and third teamers. Make all the excuses you want to, this is a BAD sign. Boyd needs to sit when he gets in these funks he has. Its hurting the team and will cost us games if it continues. As of right now, I see NO way we beat the coots in Columbia. They are far more physical and determined. We have a TON of progress that needs to be made between now and then. The last 3 weeks have been sickening.

Oct 28, 2013, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: I'll tell ya what our problems are... ]

Very good and truful post the ol is very bad.

Oct 28, 2013, 12:10 PM [ in reply to I'll tell ya what our problems are... ]

iagree with you one hundred percent.

Oct 28, 2013, 12:23 PM [ in reply to I'll tell ya what our problems are... ]

Someone pleazzze wrap up these 3 or 4 posts on this topic and get it in the hands of the coaches... all the coaches because they really don't act like they know this stuff. instead of handing out tennis balls, give em a good kick in the rump.

i listen to dabo coach show and press conference and all he did was hand out cudos to everyone... including the OL. i'm like, huh - what !!! unreal - no way i can lose to the coots again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have to admit

Oct 28, 2013, 12:56 PM

The tennis ball thing was pretty cheesey.....these are grown men, not elementary school kids.

Danny Ford once said...

Oct 28, 2013, 1:28 PM [ in reply to I'll tell ya what our problems are... ]

“I’ll take a good offensive line over a great quarterback any day of the week."

This all day, everyday. A good OL will take you places, namely the endzone. A ton of "good" NFL RB's careers were paved by good offensive line.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2013, 12:22 PM

My final thought is...Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out! :)

Fine...but I remember too many "L's" that came from...

Oct 28, 2013, 1:11 PM

...BAD Maryland teams, "Clemsoning" the Tigers.

I for one, am glad to be out of College Park with a "W". I don't care if Maryland had fielded the women's volleyball team in Byrd Stadium.

Winning against Maryland is always a good thing.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Hey!

Oct 28, 2013, 4:46 PM

For some reason I don't think the coaches or players read Tigernet. So to give coaching or playing advice seems asinine. Anyway we won, and we seem to finish seasons (besides USuC) out strong. This team can do this. Go Tigers!

Hey!

Oct 28, 2013, 4:48 PM

For some reason I don't think the coaches or players read Tigernet. So to give coaching or playing advice seems asinine. Anyway we won, and we seem to finish seasons (besides USuC) out strong. This team can do this. Go Tigers!

Oct 28, 2013, 10:22 PM

Please step away from the ledge and check your pulse...you're fading fast!

You're the kinda guy who would win the lottery and ##### about the taxes!

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic