Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How Bama got into the playoffs this year...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

How Bama got into the playoffs this year...

Dec 4, 2017, 2:54 PM

Was thanks to OSU. OSU got in last year by having the better overall record than Penn State, who won their conference championship. This year, OSU won their conference champ. but Bama, sitting at #5 had a better record. The CFP didn't really have a leg to stand on to NOT put Bama in IMO. And, to be honest, I was surprised that we got put in...Thankful though...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How Bama got into the playoffs this year...

Dec 4, 2017, 3:01 PM

Yes, I was shocked too.

Message was edited by: kerigantoo®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and OSU was stomped in the ground by Clemson.

Dec 4, 2017, 3:02 PM

Had no business being in the CFP.

Re: and OSU was stomped in the ground by Clemson.

Dec 4, 2017, 3:42 PM

So are you predicting 31-0 over Bama?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Is BS

Dec 4, 2017, 3:03 PM

Cfu had a better record than bama. USC, miami, and Ohio state won just as many games as bama. ..And won their divisions.

It was BS last year. It is BS this year.

But arsekissing your way through life seems to be acceptable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Is BS

Dec 4, 2017, 3:07 PM

> Cfu had a better record than bama. USC, miami, and
> Ohio state won just as many games as bama. ..And won
> their divisions.
>
> It was BS last year. It is BS this year.
>
> But arsekissing your way through life seems to be
> e acceptable.

I think the CFP committee takes into account "strength of schedule" among other things. Now, I didn't look up any team's SoS but I really don't think CFU had a very difficult one. Also, yes, OSU did win as many games as Bama and won their conference. The Committee stated that their blow-out loss to unranked Iowa was what cost them the 4th spot.

Dec 4, 2017, 3:11 PM

If they use SOS, Bama wouldn't be in!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sadly for bama and the rest of the sec,

Dec 4, 2017, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Is BS ]

the hackneyed strength of schedule argument is losing it's glorified luster.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Lol.. you mention Strenth of schedule and bama in the

Dec 4, 2017, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Is BS ]

Good 1.

The playoff comittee is full of saban doodoo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Even though I think

Dec 4, 2017, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Is BS ]

Bama is in the top four best teams, their strength of schedule was right up there with SCar's... "cream puff." I figure that at least 6 of their wins should have counted as 8-tenths of a win. I don't know how they got so beat up on defense given who they played.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2017, 6:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Is BS ]

who did Bama beat......LSU & Miss State.....on don't forget FSU.......I guess you can say they actually did not beat anybody with a pulse......like Auburn.......Go Tigers!!!!!!

Re: How Bama got into the playoffs this year...yeah, that last minute

Dec 4, 2017, 3:04 PM

win over Miss St looks HUGE on Bama’s resume. The loss to SEC West Champ Auburn was early in the season so it doesn’t really matter. What? That loss was the last game of the regular season? Ok, never mind.

Dec 4, 2017, 3:05 PM

Had we not lost to cuse and Miami beat us thus putting them into the CFP, would we have gotten in over bama?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2017, 3:08 PM

> Had we not lost to cuse and Miami beat us thus
> putting them into the CFP, would we have gotten in
> over bama?

That is an interesting proposition. And, IMO, yes, Clemson would probably have gotten the nod...

I think we would have been in over Bama even with the Cuse

Dec 4, 2017, 3:09 PM

loss, if Miami beat us in a close one

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Wiscy scores on that final drive... you are out...

so sitting at home really didn't help you, b/c it could have gone either way...

However, once OSU won, I don't think there was any doubt that, between the two teams, Bama is the better team.

Re: If Wiscy scores on that final drive... you are out...

Dec 4, 2017, 3:14 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Actually

I'm of the opinion had OSU beaten Wisconsin by 14 or more points, the Bucknuts would have been in. Bama getting in was a last resort after BOTH BIG 10 teams looked like crap.

Of course had Wisconsin won at the last minute, they would have been in.

BOTH BIG 10 teams failed to do what they needed to to get in.

Bama didn't earn it, they were just the best left.

Wrong...ESPN made sure Bama got in...

Dec 4, 2017, 3:10 PM

Just like they made sure that OSU got in last year. Here is one scenario that will NEVER happen... the SEC champion does not get selected to the final four. There will never be a chance that that happens. You are NOT a top 4 team if you did not win your division let alone your conference. No matter what your record. The selection committee was sweating bullets praying that Wisconsin didn’t win. Because if Wisconsin would have won they have had to explain how they picked Bama over an undefeated big ten conference winner...

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

Re: Wrong...ESPN made sure Bama got in...

Dec 4, 2017, 3:14 PM

> Just like they made sure that OSU got in last year.
> Here is one scenario that will NEVER happen... the
> SEC champion does not get selected to the final four.
> There will never be a chance that that happens. You
> are NOT a top 4 team if you did not win your division
> let alone your conference. No matter what your
> record. The selection committee was sweating bullets
> praying that Wisconsin didn’t win. Because if
> Wisconsin would have won they have had to explain how
> they picked Bama over an undefeated big ten
> conference winner...

So you think a team HAS to win their conference to be a Top 4 team? Sorry, not buying that. There is no way that the PAC? champion could stay on the field with any of the teams in the CFP this year. Also, I don't think Wisconsin could beat Bama either, do you? I really do believe the CFP got it right this year...

Dec 4, 2017, 5:26 PM

You think that only bc they allowed Bama to back in !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2017, 7:16 PM [ in reply to Wrong...ESPN made sure Bama got in... ]

If Florida St went undefeated and was ranked #1, and Clemson's only loss was by 1 at Florida St, and for good measure, every other conference champ had at least 2 losses, then you're saying Clemson is absolutely not a top 4 team. I'm sure you'd be on here arguing that Clemson shouldn't be in the playoff because they aren't a top 4 team /s. Why would you think it's impossible for 2 of the best 4 teams to be in the same division? Makes no sense at all.

Good arguement.

Dec 4, 2017, 3:11 PM

Fun times that was for Clemson. Not so much for O310 st.

Bama's turn.

Re: Good arguement.

Dec 4, 2017, 3:30 PM

You know what really stinks. They let Bama in and gave them basically a home game. They do not have to travel very far for the game. Why not make them #3 and send them out to California. Just an idea.

Dec 4, 2017, 3:35 PM

An idea with which I wholeheartedly agree!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2017, 5:28 PM

Saban would go crying to ESECPN if that was to happen!!!!

Dec 4, 2017, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Good arguement. ]

I wish the committee would have set GA as #1 and had an all SEC semifinal in the Sugar Bowl. Why set it up so the final might be two SEC teams. We lived through that several years ago and hated it.

If you need to explain how you made it into the playoffs...

Dec 4, 2017, 3:38 PM

...you understand you shouldn't be there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you need to explain how you made it into the playoffs...

Dec 4, 2017, 3:42 PM

> ...you understand you shouldn't be there.

Oh, I didn't feel a need to explain it. I just thought I would to spark some good wholesome conversation... ;)

Dec 4, 2017, 3:46 PM

glad you guys made it. Work with a guy who has been a life long bama fan for 30 months (his words not mine...he kid goes there and he got hooked).

Should be a great game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2017, 5:29 PM [ in reply to Re: If you need to explain how you made it into the playoffs... ]

Then why are you here, did they close your fan sports boards down today!!!

Don't underestimate the Mercer win ...

Dec 4, 2017, 3:47 PM

you guys sent a message to the committee.

Dec 4, 2017, 3:52 PM

I agree Bama is prolly a top 4 team but not even winning your division should disqualify you.
Better thank the Hawkeyes!

Dec 4, 2017, 5:31 PM

You should have been in over OSU. Ohio State has been the biggest beneficiary of this system from the get go. Jumped #3 Tcu the first year, then last year. I'm happy they got left out.

Yup, they set a precedence last year and cemented it...

Dec 4, 2017, 6:03 PM

...this year. Conference championships are officially worthless.

Must be nice to sit on your laurels last Saturday, eat popcorn, drink beer then get rewarded with a major bowl game that's like a home game for y'all. I almost wish Dabo, upon hearing about the Alabama selection, would have picked the Rose Bowl.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2017, 6:18 PM

You need to send a thank you note to ESPN......Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!

Bama got in for three reasons:

Dec 4, 2017, 6:20 PM

OSU's beatdown by a massively inferior Iowa team, OSU's beatdown by Clemson last year that still lingered in the committee's memory(after jumping through hoops to get OSU in), and the fan wish for a "rubber" game between Clemson and Alabama after the great last two National Championship games, even at the semi level.

Dec 4, 2017, 7:28 PM

The got in from a bad holding call with 2 minutes left and Wisconsin in Ohio State territory.

Dec 4, 2017, 7:34 PM

After OSU got in last year, Alabama this year. The CFBP comittee clearly has shown that whoever they feel is the better team is who will get in. It doesn't matter as to your Championships or SOS. Eye test seems to be all that matters. But I think just as last year, they have the best 4 teams in and I would've been shocked to see OSU in over Alabama after being throttled by Iowa earlier in the year and not even competitive against OU AT HOME in week 2.

It is good to play Bama again..we have a chance to supplant

Dec 5, 2017, 7:30 PM

Bama as THE college football standard bearer.

I also like the fact that we were installed as underdogs by Vegas. We must remember, we are now playing with house money, because very few Clemson fans would've predicted finishing #1 let alone even making the playoffs after losing 72% of our offensive production and the greatest quarterback to ever set foot in Death Valley.

As I heard David what's his name from Georgia on TV- Clemson now LOOKS like bama - now they can show that they are surpassing Bama with another victory and then a win in the NC Game.

We know that Bama and Saban have created a dynasty. But now Clemson is considered a challenger to their hegemony after the last few years (with a long way to go to reach dynastic status).

Win the rubber match and the tables will have turned. Dabo would have it no other way.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic