Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why as a White man should I feel guilty?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

Why as a White man should I feel guilty?

Jun 11, 2020, 7:47 PM

I had nothing to do with slavery and I was not born and then only a child during Jim Crowe and on into the 70s. It is like if I don't agree with everything BLM says that I'm racist. I am sorry there was ever slavery but I don't owe anyone an apology or any reparations. One thing a lot of White folks is feeling is that we are being pushed into a corner and forced to Kowtow because our ancestors did something wrong. Tear every frickin statue and building down if it makes BLM happy but don't go tryin to make me feel guilty for something I have not done. I still say BLM is a Hate group that has openly called for the Death of innocent police officers and has unfortunately been successful. Any monument that is ever put up by this Hate group as well as streets being named is no better than the oppressors they seek to get rid of.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of our ancestors didn't do anything wrong. nm***

Jun 11, 2020, 7:51 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Most of our ancestors didn't do anything wrong. nm***

Jun 11, 2020, 7:59 PM

I know most were just poor or a little above that was just supporting their State and never owned or even knew someone that owned slaves. They were just being recruited for their pride of the South and that the north was against them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2020, 8:32 PM

They were recruited because they had issues with a tyrannical federal government controlling their lives, again.

Jun 11, 2020, 10:36 PM

Now you going to confuse the little libs. I wonder if the know Tillman was a Democratic

Jun 11, 2020, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Most of our ancestors didn't do anything wrong. nm*** ]

More like they were co-opted to fight to preserve slave labor (as specifically mentioned in the CSA Constitutional Articles).

The South's economic success rested almost entirely on slave labor and the so called "states' rights" issue was just that...the states' rights to own slaves. When this was threatened they started the Civil War.

Think about that. The South fought to keep people in bondage for economic gain benefiting only a select few. Are you proud of that? I grew up in the South. Born and raised in S.C. I have relatives that fought for the Confederacy...and I'll never be proud of that.

Re: Why as a White man should I feel guilty?

Jun 11, 2020, 7:58 PM

I won't get into whether or not feeling guilty is right or wrong, but most of this isn't even about what you or anyone else personally did. It's almost 100% about privilege. White privilege exists, no matter what anyone says. I'm as white as the driven snow, and I know I've never been unfairly treated because of that. That's the main issue.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’ve never been treated unfairly?

Jun 11, 2020, 8:00 PM

Interesting.

Re: You’ve never been treated unfairly?

Jun 11, 2020, 8:11 PM

For being white? No. Obviously, everyone has been treated unfairly at some point, but as a white person, I know it was never because I'm white.

How do you know?***

Jun 11, 2020, 8:11 PM

Re: How do you know?***

Jun 11, 2020, 8:15 PM

I've never had a gun drawn on me for a traffic stop, for one. Hell, all of my own interactions with the police have been very pleasant. Nice to a fault, almost.

Now whether or not someone of color has, you're right, I really CAN'T know, other than I know it was never outwardly, if it happened.

Jun 11, 2020, 8:31 PM

Okay. So at least you realize you really don’t know for sure.

And it sounds like you were pretty compliant during those traffic stops...weren’t you?

Jun 11, 2020, 8:41 PM

Not taking that bait, sorry.

Didn’t think so.***

Jun 11, 2020, 8:52 PM

Re: may you know he's right and can't win argument***

Jun 12, 2020, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Re: How do you know?*** ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2020, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Re: How do you know?*** ]

I have been pulled over because of the way I look and search many times when I was in high school and my young 20s. I have long hair and use to be a stoner. The police pulled me over at least 5 times and searched me for no reason except for once I had a small amount of marijuana on me. A black man in a nice car that's is dressed nicely is usually not going to get pulled over or have a gun pulled on them if they do. A black man dressed like a gang banger probably would tho just as a white man dressed like a gang banger or looking like a meth head probably would. Racism is certainly real but the media is pushing it to be something bigger than it is.

Jun 11, 2020, 10:39 PM

That’s called profiling or pre-judging at worst.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And when it happens to a minority its racism.***

Jun 12, 2020, 2:04 AM

I thought someone was going to say it.

Jun 12, 2020, 8:17 AM

Not racism when C-money looks like a hippy and is pulled over more often... gets busted 20% of those times.

Is racist if you look like your a gang member. Got it.

Can we talk about these double standards and be honest about what is and isn’t racism?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, we can talk about it...

Jun 12, 2020, 8:36 AM

Forget Cops... PEOPLE profile. There is actually more evidence to support the idea that we're actually waging war against the poor & ghetto culture (black and white), not a race of people. Within that culture, there is more of the black race than whites.

But if a white man is profiled, then its just that, profiling. If that same thing happens to a minority, then its classified as racist, not profiling.

IMO, the majority of what is happening if profiling a culture of crime and drug abuse, not attacking black people.

Again there are stats that speak to my opinion and Im more than happy to post those if anyone is interested in reading them.

Re: Yeah, we can talk about it...

Jun 12, 2020, 9:05 AM

It depends on the part of the country as to what the predominant race is in the poor areas.

That said, is it wrong that those that are doing drugs, committing crimes, and simply making bad decisions are feeling uncomfortable? To me that says the “system” is working! It’s not supposed to be comfortable when these are your actions. Maybe we have the incentives in the correct places... as a govt only.

Now, as an individual, can we do more to help educate and teach the lower class? Yes. This is why I love the ECCO program in the low country.

Re: I thought someone was going to say it.

Jun 12, 2020, 8:50 AM [ in reply to I thought someone was going to say it. ]

It's great to see some people understand. It isn't racism it is just the fact that a large number of black people commit crimes. It sucks that they grow up in poor conditions and maybe feel they have to but it doesn't make a cop racist to suspect a black man is doing wrong if they in a community where crime is going on at a high rate.

So you're saying cops only pull guns on

Jun 11, 2020, 11:05 PM [ in reply to Re: How do you know?*** ]

black people at traffic stops, and it's some sort of common occurrence..at traffic stops?

Jun 11, 2020, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Re: You’ve never been treated unfairly? ]

The Post & Courier used to do an advertising publication that had to be delivered on Wed or Th weekly. Somehow I got a route in a crime-infested black neighborhood. Since it was my third job, one week I didn't get to it until after 3pm Th.

I never made that mistake again.

After 3, the "kids" were home from school. Between the boys harassing me for "taking a job from a black man" (at first I tried to tell them no black man wanted my job, but then I realized that talking was slowing me down) and the middle school girls threatening to beat me up for walking down their streets (some of the were bigger than me, and I knew all of them had more fights in school than I ever did), I was glad to make it back to my car in one piece.

After that I always did my route first thing in the morning. The senior citizens loved me for not getting scared off--they don't know how close I came--and for making them feel like they lived in a normal neighborhood.

I don't feel like life in general is fair to blacks, but the problems they face are generally theirs to solve, and right now all we're talking about are symptoms, not causes. My job is to encourage them and make it possible for them to identify their problems and solve them. There are many wonderful, harmony-loving people in all of our American culture--

but make no mistake, you are more fair to them in your native habitat than they would be to you in theirs.

Jun 11, 2020, 9:49 PM

That is what is wrong with this whole thing. A lot of black people are just as racist as a lot of white people. Of course many of us get along and do not care if one person is a different race than the other. I believe growing up in a small town and playing sports was good for me to not judge somebody by the color of their skin. It wasn't even really something you think about until you got older and by then it didn't matter to me I had some of my best friends that were black. Plenty of places in America kids grow up both only black kids or only white kids and I could see how they could be turned racist especially with the influence of their parents. I do believe my generation is way less judgmental based on the color of a person's skin than my parents generation. I hope that trend continues.

Jun 11, 2020, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Why as a White man should I feel guilty? ]

For that “never” to be true, you can’t ever visit Hawaii, you f’n haole.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jun 11, 2020, 8:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Why as a White man should I feel guilty? ]

My dad stood in food lines with blacks and whites during the great depression and ended up only finishing the 8th grade to help his family out. He was a hard working blue collar man that toiled just to pay bills and keep us fed. He had no white privilege, he busted his A$$ his whole life and always taught us to respect everyone black or white. As Charlie Daniels wrote and sang in one of his songs "A rich man goes to college and a poor man goes to work" That is what I did as well as we could not afford it. I later went to community college while working and just getting by.

Jun 12, 2020, 1:58 AM

My dad stood in food lines with blacks and whites during the great depression and ended up only finishing the 8th grade to help his family out. He was a hard working blue collar man that toiled just to pay bills and keep us fed. He had no white privilege, he busted his A$$ his whole life and always taught us to respect everyone black or white. As Charlie Daniels wrote and sang in one of his songs "A rich man goes to college and a poor man goes to work" That is what I did as well as we could not afford it. I later went to community college while working and just getting by.

Same here Doorman. My dad also had to quit school after the 8th grade to go to work because his dad got sick. He probably never made over $20k a year but put three of us through college, all at Clemson.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2020, 10:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Why as a White man should I feel guilty? ]

You are confused

what you described there

Jun 11, 2020, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Why as a White man should I feel guilty? ]

is not "white privilege".

And?

Jun 12, 2020, 2:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Why as a White man should I feel guilty? ]

I still dont think statues should come down and names should be changed. I dont get how white privilege matters in that regard.

Not that anyone cares, but I was treated unfairly

Jun 12, 2020, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Why as a White man should I feel guilty? ]

because I was not a black female.

While interviewing for a job back in 1991, I had a masters degree in structural engineering. Several other undergraduates were interviewed for the same position, one of which was a black female. I was told I was 'not qualified' for a structural engineering position with their company. They were specifically interviewing for a structural engineer. The black female was hired for a structural engineering position. And, yes, they could pay my salary. It was an oil company.

So, yes, I have been treated unfairly as a white male.

That's my story.

Do I let it fester? No. Did I move on? Yes. Do I remember? Yes. Have I succeeded? Yes. Am I trusted, committed, a good employee, work diligently, do what I am asked to do? Yes. Is it a result of my whiteness? Who knows? But, I suspect it is because I am dependable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jun 12, 2020, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Why as a White man should I feel guilty? ]

I happen to know a young fella who is white. Had a 1500 on his SAT finished 2nd in his class at a prestigious school and had a life long dream of going to Duke. Was told he couldn’t get in because he was a white male ftpm South Carolina. Life is unfair from time to time for everyone.

If you feel guilty about black people not wanting

Jun 11, 2020, 8:09 PM

to walk past confederate memorials, that guilt is on you, my brother.

Re: If you feel guilty about black people not wanting

Jun 11, 2020, 8:13 PM

^^^I have no guilt my friend.

Oh, well in that case, maybe that's part of your

Jun 11, 2020, 8:21 PM

problem?

Re: Oh, well in that case, maybe that's part of your

Jun 11, 2020, 8:40 PM

^^^I'm supposed to feel guilty because of historical monuments that I had nothing to do with. Maybe you can go and kiss A$$ for something you or your ancestors done.

Jun 11, 2020, 9:22 PM

No, you shouldn’t feel guilty for things you didn’t have anything to do with...but maybe some empathy for people who have to walk past monuments celebrating the people who enslaved their ancestors?

Jun 11, 2020, 10:43 PM

Why really just why does that effect them

Jun 12, 2020, 1:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Oh, well in that case, maybe that's part of your ]

Most of them don't even know if they had ancestors as slaves. They think because they are black it gives them certain priveledges. Well I firmly believe you get what you are willing to work for. I'm white and grew up poor on a farm. I worked my tail off and made something of myself with the help of the Lord. I was never handed anything for being white so please forgive me if I don't feel sorry for having nice things because I earned it.

You are an idiot for sure***

Jun 11, 2020, 10:40 PM [ in reply to Oh, well in that case, maybe that's part of your ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are an idiot for sure***

Jun 11, 2020, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Oh, well in that case, maybe that's part of your ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you feel guilty about black people not wanting

Jun 11, 2020, 10:45 PM [ in reply to If you feel guilty about black people not wanting ]

That is one stupid comment ####

My ancestors certainly never owned slaves***

Jun 11, 2020, 8:18 PM

If they did it’s not really in your control anyway

Jun 11, 2020, 8:27 PM

Right? I guess you should be proud of your pure bloodlines. Start a new race. A more superior white man than the rest of us.

Re: White privilege =Marxist talk

Jun 11, 2020, 8:41 PM

Also
Equity in outcome is another !
Don’t be fooled

Re: White privilege =Marxist talk

Jun 11, 2020, 8:56 PM

Hate and bitterness is the oldest slave master to ever own anybody and they are becoming more in numbers unfortunately.

BLM’s goals include “disruption” of the nuclear family and

Jun 11, 2020, 9:33 PM

They are a front for the Democratic Party. If you don’t believe me review their website including their donation link and follow the money.
No I don’t support them AT ALL. They are playing a lot of good black folks who don’t realize this.
As a white person, I will fight racism but I don’t have any white guilt. As a woman I am sure I have been slighted in some ways too but I choose to fight it and not blame it for anything that hasn’t gone my way.

Jun 11, 2020, 9:33 PM

You don't have to feel guilty, and you shouldn't feel guilty unless you've done something wrong. There's a lot of idiots out there saying if you're white then you need to admit you have white privilege and recant...or something like that. It's all very Catholic original sin-ish (and I say that as a Catholic) and dumb in my opinion.

I hate the term "white privilege" because there's an insinuation that if you've been successful, it's because as a white man you've always had the red carpet rolled out in front of you and you got it through birth-right when that simply isn't the case. However just because you shouldn't have to feel guilty or "admit your privilege" doesn't mean there isn't value in being empathetic towards people who have likely existed racism throughout their lives. Racism doesn't have to be some insane situation like having a gun pulled on them by a police officer or having a band of racists scream the n-word at them. It could be as simple as something like shopkeepers following them through a store because of their race. Is it the worst thing in the world? No...but it's something white people don't experience.

There was a great comedian named Patrice O'Neal who unfortunately passed away several years ago. However he was a hilarious guy and he was a regular on the Opie & Anthony Show where they would talk about social issues like racism, etc. I can't find the clip, because it would require me to dig through hundreds of videos, but I remember one day he said something that resonated with me. They were talking about getting in trouble and he said something along the lines of "I'm jealous of white people because if you screw up, people look at you and say 'Bill's a piece of trash', but if I get in trouble they judge me as a black man". To me that is a good example of inherent racism which exists in our society, and you should at least have empathy to those who experience it.

P.S. During the 'Nappy Headed Hoes' Don Imus controversy back in the day, Patrice O'Neal went on Hannity and defended Imus & other comedians. He wasn't the type of dude who toted the party line for the sake of it. He was a funny dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW01Cn_qzj0

Do you feel guilty? I don't. But I know right from wrong.***

Jun 11, 2020, 9:58 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2020, 10:16 PM

I'm a white guy.

I don't feel particularly guilty, even though I have not always loved my neighbor as myself and I've not worked really hard to right the wrongs of this world.

I'm pretty sure we don't get a Q&A period when we get to heaven, but if we did, I'd like to ask why life is so much harder for some people than for others.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2020, 10:34 PM

Amen

Jun 12, 2020, 12:49 AM

PLEASE... EVERYONE... Do yourself a favor if you’re asking yourself this question... I know you have Netflix. Go and watch two documentaries I know you’ve seen but scrolled right past

“13th” and “When they see us”

Then you will understand what systematic racism is. It’s real it’s just been hiding from most of you because it doesn’t impact your life.

All facts no Fake News.

Jun 12, 2020, 1:16 AM

I don’t think most are denying systematic racism but there is a difference between “the system” and my actions. I don’t feel guilty for what others have done that I did not do and could not prevent. I will not be or feel guilty because I am white.
Should men also feel guilty about male privilege?

Jun 12, 2020, 1:44 AM

No you shouldn’t feel guilty...

Are you gonna watch “13th”?

Jun 12, 2020, 8:38 AM

No you shouldn’t feel guilty...

Are you gonna watch “13th”?

No can do. Might miss something on Fox News...

Jun 12, 2020, 1:23 AM

Amen very well said.

White guilt is garbage

Jun 12, 2020, 8:55 AM

nm

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic