Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So if evolution is true
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

So if evolution is true

Dec 19, 2018, 1:44 PM

we seriously need to be worried about spiders becoming aware of their ability to take over the world....

https://nypost.com/2017/03/29/if-spiders-worked-together-they-could-eat-all-humans-in-a-year/?utm_source=FCFacebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you don't create such a stupid subject, it's a pretty

Dec 19, 2018, 1:46 PM

fascinating article.

But nope, you start out shouting "I AM AN IDIOT" and then post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: If you don't create such a stupid subject, it's a pretty

Dec 22, 2018, 6:30 AM

Merry Christmas.

Dec 22, 2018, 10:17 AM

you still never answered my question on Noah's arc. If the world got flooded by fresh water(as you answered previously), what happened to all of the salt water mammals and species of fish, coral, lobsters etc..?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2018, 11:19 AM

I don’t remember having that conversation but the biblical account of the flood (there are many accounts from ancient history) actually says that water also came up from the “fountains of the deep”.

Dec 22, 2018, 11:57 AM

fountains are fresh water, so I am really curious how whales survived during the flood. They would sink like a rock in fresh water and not find any food.

Dec 22, 2018, 12:59 PM

Of all the arguments against the occurance of a worldwide flood this is by far the weakest. Maybe they just stayed in the saltwater? You realize there are areas called “brackish” where they mix right?

There are scientist who believe the geological record points to a worldwide catastrophe like a flood and several ancient cultures record one....

Dec 22, 2018, 1:02 PM

brackish water would kill off their food supply of krill and plankton, not to mention most of the specious of fish and crustacean in the ocean, as well as every single coral reef. I am just not seeing any evidence this ever happened.

Dec 22, 2018, 1:09 PM

So how does salt and fresh water mix now and not kill off salt water fish?

Also....

https://beginningandend.com/scientists-confirm-biblical-account-of-the-fountains-of-the-deep/

Dec 22, 2018, 1:59 PM

finding water in the earth's mantle is not proof of a great flood, just proof of water trapped under ground. you still have that entire gravity thing to work out of we are to believe it came up to the surface and caused a flood.

Dec 22, 2018, 4:19 PM

You have an even bigger problem with evolution. You have evidence that it occurred on a small scale, and you’re filling in the huge gaps and enormous questions with the theory that was a theory long before Darwin. When I don’t understand something I say “God did it” you say “science just hasn't figured it out yet”.

FWIW the Ken Ham’s of the world are a relatively new species. Ancient Christian writers didn’t take every story in the Creation-Flood account to be literal history.

Dec 22, 2018, 10:46 PM [ in reply to Re: If you don't create such a stupid subject, it's a pretty ]

Its been pretty extensively proven that there was a period in earths history where there was significant worldwide flooding. We are also discovering that humam civilization extends well beyond the ~12,000 years or so we thought it existed. Whether "god" started thr flood or not is up in the air, and not something I really care about. But we do know, significant amounts of water have flooded the earth before for many different reasons, and stories of this have been passed down for millenia, along with scientific evidence showing the earth had been inundated at one point or another. You're making yourself look like an ###.

Dec 23, 2018, 6:20 AM

“You’re making yourself look like an ###”

Not necessary.

Dec 23, 2018, 6:48 AM [ in reply to Re: If you don't create such a stupid subject, it's a pretty ]

Ok, I'm not a believer in a literal worldwide flood, but if it were happening at the hand of an omnipotent God, then none of that matters. Water can just be created and then taken away. Different types of water can be kept from mixing.

Dec 22, 2018, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Re: If you don't create such a stupid subject, it's a pretty ]

Maybe I'm missing something, but if there was a worldwide flood wouldn't that mean that all of the bodies of water would effectively just be one giant ocean? In the year that the world was supposedly flooded wouldn't that be more than enough time for the fresh and salt water to mix?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for this.

Dec 19, 2018, 1:47 PM

I didn't have enough unreasonable scenarios to stress myself out over.

POTFuckyou

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

If spiders tasted good I could eat them all in a year.

Dec 19, 2018, 1:50 PM

I wouldn't need help except rounding them up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty sure we could replace

Dec 19, 2018, 2:07 PM

Spiders with cats or dogs or cockroaches or rats or . . . and write the same story.

Maybe other kinds of bugs, but not mammals like that.

Dec 19, 2018, 2:09 PM

Not enough of them.

I mean, there are a billion ants for every human on earth.***

Dec 19, 2018, 2:12 PM

Work together? Please.

Dec 19, 2018, 2:39 PM

The good right wing Make the Web Great Again spiders are trying to fix this problem, but the bleeding heart liberal spiders want all the human wretchedness, villainy, and scum to survive and invade their way of life.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: Work together? Please.

Dec 19, 2018, 3:21 PM

#BuildtheWeb

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So if evolution is true

Dec 23, 2018, 6:49 AM

There's no "if evolution is true." Evolution has been observed.

Dec 23, 2018, 9:14 AM

Can I see it?

Dec 23, 2018, 3:00 PM

Yes. You can see the results by looking at a Chihuahua and Rottweiler standing next to each other, but we have also seen speciation occur.

Dec 23, 2018, 3:03 PM

They’re still dogs.

Dec 23, 2018, 6:14 PM

Why didn't you read to the end? We have observed and documented speciation, or the splitting of species.

Dec 23, 2018, 7:12 PM

I did read to the end. If this has been observed why did you choose two breeds of the same animal to try and make your point?

Dec 23, 2018, 8:20 PM

Dog breeding is an example of evolution in progress. Evolution is not just speciation.

Dec 23, 2018, 9:20 PM

Evolution within kinds is not disputed.

Dec 23, 2018, 9:38 PM

Let's try this for the third time.

We
Have
Observed
Speciation

Dec 24, 2018, 9:51 AM

“Exaggerating the evidence to prop up Darwinism is not new. In the Galápagos finches, average beak depth reverted to normal after the drought ended. There was no net evolution, much less speciation. Yet Coyne writes in Why Evolution Is True that “everything we require of evolution by natural selection was amply documented” by the finch studies. Since scientific theories stand or fall on the evidence, Coyne’s tendency to exaggerate the evidence does not speak well for the theory he is defending. When a 1999 booklet published by The U. S. National Academy of Sciences called the change in finch beaks “a particularly compelling example of speciation,” Berkeley law professor and Darwin critic Phillip E. Johnson wrote in The Wall Street Journal: “When our leading scientists have to resort to the sort of distortion that would land a stock promoter in jail, you know they are in trouble.”48
So there are observed instances of secondary speciation — which is not what Darwinism needs — but no observed instances of primary speciation, not even in bacteria. British bacteriologist Alan H. Linton looked for confirmed reports of primary speciation and concluded in 2001: “None exists in the literature claiming that one species has been shown to evolve into another. Bacteria, the simplest form of independent life, are ideal for this kind of study, with generation times of twenty to thirty minutes, and populations achieved after eighteen hours. But throughout 150 years of the science of bacteriology, there is no evidence that one species of bacteria has changed into another.”

https://evolutionnews.org/2009/05/selection_and_speciation_why_d/

Dec 24, 2018, 12:54 PM

I think you are failing to understand that every species that currently exists or existed is part of a larger group that later differentiated into more specific animals.

For example, all animals, plants and fungi are eukaryotes. Animals later divided into more defined groups like vertebrate and invertebrate. These groups later divided into even more defined subgroups including mammals, reptiles, amphibians, etc.

We know that the fossils that are buried under the most layers of sediment (ergo, older) are almost exclusively much simpler than the fossils found at higher layers. This is clear evidence that species became more advanced over time and began to branch out from their common ancestor.

Taking this to the logical conclusion inevitably leads to a situation where all surviving offspring of the wolf will inevitably be dogs including Great Danes, Chihuahuas and everything in between. Any future differentiation will be more specific and could ultimately be broken down into large dogs and small dogs or some other criterion. They will all inevitably be dogs just like any future humans no matter how far in the future will still be primates.

Species don't completely change from one to another in a way that would allow for something akin to us being able to look back and find a dog that eventually became an ape. Instead they become a much more advanced version of a previous common ancestor. This means that despite the common misconception, humans didn't come from chimpanzees or gorillas—we all came from an earlier primate.

Dec 24, 2018, 1:49 PM

“On the basis of strict evidence — not “faith” — I argue in Science and Human Origins that in the context of human evolution good examples of transitional fossils are conspicuously lacking. But I am open to the possibility that transitional fossils might exist, and in other contexts, I do think there are some plausible examples of transitional fossils. For example, some fossils show transitional features in the horse series (even though there’s not much in the way of large-scale evolution going on there). But as my series on human origins has demonstrated, the fossil evidence shows a clear break between human-like and ape-like species, which is not bridged by transitional fossils. This is not merely my own opinion. My article cites multiple evolutionary scientists who are acclaimed experts in the field and who make this same basic sort of claim.”

https://evolutionnews.org/2012/09/how_do_theistic_1/

“The key problem is this: Darwin’s theory relies on minute changes in organisms which slowly accumulate, gradually changing the organism until it eventually becomes a new species. If this is correct, then the fossil record should contain many fossils with forms intermediate between different species. This is not what the fossil record shows. As Darwin put it:
Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely-graduated organic chain; and this, perhaps, is the most obvious and serious objection which can be urged against the theory. (The Origin of Species)How did Darwin overcome this “obvious and serious objection”? He claimed that the gaps were due to “the extreme imperfection of the geological record” – the fossil record does not in fact give a very good record of the past. One reason for this at the time was the still very limited knowledge of the global fossil record. Darwin expected more intermediate forms to be found as research continued.
But when, 140 years later, Prof. Steve Jones of University College London published an updated version of Darwin’s Origin of Species in 1999, the fossil record still posed the same problem.”

http://www.truthinscience.org.uk/content.cfm?id=3164

Dec 24, 2018, 2:16 PM

If you will take the time to lay out some cogent arguments yourself instead of just posting links to questionable sources I will be glad to debate you on the issue.

Very briefly, in regards to your first link;

If you want to make the argument that we should argue based on strict evidence as opposed to faith, how can you possibly argue from Christian perspective since Christianity is by definition based on faith? I'm not faulting anyone for being a Christian by any means, but I just believe in regards to evolution we should begin the argument based on conclusions drawn specifically from scientific evidence alone. Ergo, going by the logic of your own source we should disregard both the Christian creationist perspective as well as the evolutionary perspective and argue based specifically on scientific facts and inferences made from those facts.

In regards to your second long;

I find it interesting that people are still trying to argue that there are transitional fossils in the fossil record by quoting Darwin's "Origin of Species" from 1859. It makes perfect sense that the fossil record was lacking in 1859 given how new the science of paleontology was at the time as well as the fact that the theory of evolution was brand new. These arguments may have worked 100-160 years ago, but they no longer hold water.

I won't deny that there are plenty of areas where the fossil record is far from complete, but that will always be the case given the nature of the fossil record. It is extremely rare for remains of an animal to turn into a fossil at all, and even rarer to find enough of a fossil to be anywhere near complete. However, this alone doesn't disprove anything nor explain away the number of fossils that do indeed fit into the evolutionary model.

Finally, I find it funny that you (actually truthiscience.org) quote Prof. Steve Jones as a source in favor of Creationism given that Professor Jones is an outspoken critic of creationism and Christianity in general. That website along with numerous others attempts to disprove evolution by cherry-picking data to support their preconceived worldview without actually taking the time to actually analyze the data or go through the entirety of the arguments in favor of evolution.

Dec 24, 2018, 3:32 PM

I could have responded "the fossil record does not provide evidence of macro evolution" but I would rather post a link to a thorough article by a scientist in the field.

My faith has nothing to do with this, and that's what the scientist quoted was simply saying. I'm arguing that there is not sufficient evidence to call the theory of evolution from common descent an undeniable fact.

You failed to read the entire quote. In the last paragraph it states that not much has changed since Darwin's time in regard to the fossil record. There have been many supposed transitional fossils found but pretty much all of them have turned out to be simply another version of the same species or even a hoax.

Also, there have been fossils found that do not fit the evolutionary model and dating methods have been called into question. Here's the story of a professor who was fired for his views on the discovery of soft tissue with dinosaur bones....

https://blog.godreports.com/2017/08/university-settles-lawsuit-with-scientist-fired-after-he-found-soft-tissue-in-dinosaur-bones/

Finally, this is what always happens in these discussions on here. I post links to legitimate arguments and my source is attacked without the facts being addressed.

Dec 24, 2018, 4:15 PM

Are you suggesting that I didn't respond to the arguments made in the two sources you posted? That certainly wasn't my intention.

Also, I wasn't suggesting that you shouldn't post any links to references to reinforce your position, only that a healthy debate is better served with your own responses supported by links to other sources.

In regards to the question of faith, my argument is that I agree that the debate should be based on objective facts alone and not faith in anything. Are you suggesting that there are very little examples of transitional fossils of early human evolution just like Dr. Kidder? That in itself is a reasonable argument. However, just because it's true that there are very few early human transitional fossils does also mean that there are very few transitional fossils of other animals.

In essence, you can make the argument that we have not yet (and may never) found sufficient evidence specifically of early primate fossils that will by itself prove evolution. However, I would counter that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. In this particular case we can reasonably infer that the process in which humans evolved is the same process in which other organisms evolved. We do indeed have ample fossil evidence to support evolution of other non-human species.

Also, it isn't valid to only argue against evolution based solely on the fossil record alone, whether it is limited to primate fossils or all fossils. There is overwhelming evidence from other areas that range from genetics, retroviruses, comparative anatomy, vestigial structures and paleontology. In 1859 it was much more reasonable to argue against evolution since Darwin was basing his theory primarily on fossils and comparative anatomy of current species. However, arguing in the contrary today requires one to address several other areas that have since advanced considerably.

Perhaps you do indeed have arguments against evolution in all of these areas. I'm not sure at this point, but I'm happy to debate you on the preponderance of the evidence as opposed to only one carefully selected piece of evidence or lack of evidence that supports your position.

In regards to the fossils that have been hoaxed or misidentified, I do not dispute that whatsoever. Because there is fame and money to be made by anyone who finds previously undiscovered transitional fossils, there will always be a motive for someone to make false claims. However, just because some instances of transitional fossils have turned to to be fake (specifically early primates) does not invalidate the other instances of transitional fossils in support of evolution.

As far as the dating method(s) are concerned, there has always been questions when relying on solely on individual method of dating. However, when multiple methods of radiometric dating ranging from radioactive carbon, potassium-argon, uranium-lead, and Rubidium–strontium are all used together it becomes much more difficult to argue against. Because of this issue it is extremely important to document where a fossil is found as opposed to only attempting to obtain a Carbon-14 reading from the fossil itself.

I'm happy to continue this debate as long as your interested either by refuting any specific arguments you may have against evolution or by laying out my own additional arguments that support evolution.

Dec 24, 2018, 5:10 PM

The reason I focused on the fossil record is because that's what you mentioned in your previous post....that the fossil record perfectly reveals evolution from simple to complex organisms, but that's not the case. In fact most of the major phyla appear abruptly in the Cambrian explosion without any trace of evolutionary history. According to Darwin the fossil record is a black eye for evolution and as far as I know there have not been any ground breaking discoveries that haven't been called into question since.

Dec 24, 2018, 6:39 PM

Fair enough. I just wanted to be clear.

I won't argue the case that the fossil record by itself perfectly illustrates all the different steps of evolution because it's clearly not the case. However, when you combine the limited number of fossils that can indeed be classified as transitional fossils with the evidence from the numerous other areas I think the result is resoundingly clear.

I don't think it comes as any surprise that we have very little fossils from the Cambrian explosion over 500 million years ago.

Just because we don't have clear evidence of each and every step or even a large portion of the evolutionary steps does not mean that we should just dismiss evolution. Based on the fact that we have some transitional fossils showing how some species evolved we can infer that the same process that affected those specific organisms is the same process that affected the others that we do not have any fossils of.

Just the simple fact that the deeper (older) fossils are much simpler than the shallow (younger) fossils by itself is indicative that species did indeed evolve. If this wasn't a result of evolution are you inevitably arguing that the Creator decided to create species in series of several different creation events.

Dec 24, 2018, 7:59 PM

Can you show me some examples of transistional fossils?

From what I’ve read the fossil record actually shows the opposite of Darwin’s slow, gradual process. Abrubt explosions of life with little change in between. Maybe a creator was behind this.

FWIW I’m no “young earth creationist”. I don’t believe that the Genesis narrative of creation is a literal step by step account and like I told Tigerbalm earlier in this thread those kinds of people are a relatively new species.

Dec 25, 2018, 1:49 PM

I'll be happy to post some non-primate transitional fossils when I have more time. Merry Christmas to you.

Also, I'm happy to hear that you aren't a young earth creationist. I think it's perfectly reasonable to belief in evolution of all species created by God and also that God created man in his image separately. My argument is just that there is overwhelming evidence in support of macro-evolution outside of humans.

Dec 24, 2018, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: So if evolution is true ]

Define "kind."

texted this to mrs fluff last night in bed.

Dec 23, 2018, 7:45 AM

plus a gif of a walking spider.

she was not impressed.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic