Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you could witness any event in human history
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 132
| visibility 1

If you could witness any event in human history

Jun 2, 2017, 2:18 PM

birth of Christ, big bang etc... What would you pick and why?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jesus...

Jun 2, 2017, 2:24 PM

I'll need a year to Think this over but my title may be the very best answer.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Jun 2, 2017, 6:14 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ressurrection***

Jun 2, 2017, 2:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Christ resurrection***

Jun 2, 2017, 2:38 PM

Oh yeah!!!! No ques***

Jun 2, 2017, 6:14 PM

Re: Christ resurrection***

Jun 6, 2017, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Christ resurrection*** ]

Absolutely the single most important event in human history.

1702 coronation of Queen Anne of Britain

Jun 2, 2017, 2:53 PM

Would have convinced her that she would be the greatest monarch of all time if she would abolish the slave trade.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trump winning presidency...oh wait***

Jun 2, 2017, 2:57 PM

Re: If you could witness any event in human history

Jun 2, 2017, 2:59 PM

I'd pick the resurrection of Christ - life over death, without which we'd have no hope!

Amen!***

Jun 2, 2017, 3:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I think you have that backwards...

Jun 3, 2017, 6:03 PM [ in reply to Re: If you could witness any event in human history ]

Jesus death is the reason we have hope, not his birth or resurrection. Not minimizing those events, but it was his faithfulness to the point of death that offers us reconciliation. Also, there is this scripture to support that: Ecclesiastes 7:1

His shed blood gives us eternal pardon from sin

Jun 3, 2017, 9:59 PM

His resurrection gives us everlasting life. The blood of bulls and goats couldn't give everlasting forgiveness. And there is no new birth without His resurrection. These are the two most important events in history and they are inextricably linked.

Re: His shed blood gives us eternal pardon from sin

Jun 6, 2017, 9:57 AM

Amen! I don't know how those who don't know Christ as their savior can have a positive outlook on the future. No matter what happens in my life good or bad I know through my personal relationship with Jesus Christ better days are ahead.

When you think of Christ going to the Cross for mankind's salvation, it makes everything else seem so insignificant. There were many great post in regards to the original post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The night SCAR won a NC in football

Jun 2, 2017, 3:01 PM

Nevermind, who wants to live forever....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

That would be the greatest miracle ever***

Jun 2, 2017, 4:39 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Impossible to set a date but.....

Jun 3, 2017, 5:04 PM

The beginning of time would sure answer a lot of questions for me

Think about it

Impossible to set a date but.....

Jun 3, 2017, 5:04 PM [ in reply to That would be the greatest miracle ever*** ]

The beginning of time would sure answer a lot of questions for me

Think about it

Jun 2, 2017, 3:01 PM

Too many choices.

If I could interfere, I'd take an armload of newspapers back to Madison and Jefferson and ask if they might want to rethink or rephrase anything given modern outcomes.

Just to witness- I considered the beginning of life but ruled it out because in part it would be too small to see and I probably wouldn't understand what I was looking at anyway and in part because science is getting very close to figuring that out without having to use a time machine.

I also ruled out the Big Bang. It all makes sense except the rapid expansion part but since that defied the speed of light, I'd probably blink and miss it.

So that leaves me with something easily observable- I want to see what the dinosaurs actually looked like and what colors they really were, take some pics and sell them for a large-ish fortune to Steven Spielberg.

Jun 2, 2017, 4:29 PM

"Science is getting very close to figuring that out"

Jun 2, 2017, 6:49 PM

It may surprise you to learn one of the places they are working on the problem is Georgia Tech.

Anyway in short, many scientists think life started with RNA which is comprised of four building blocks called nucleotides- guanine, adenine, cytosine and uracil. Using basic elements known to have been on earth at the time and simple processes, science has recently created four very close cousins.

In the case of guanine and adenine, for example, at the end of a long chemical chain there is a carbon atom attached to an oxygen atom when for a perfect match it would have to be a hydrogen atom connected to that oxygen atom.

Though the solution has not been found and is proving difficult, I'd say one atom away is pretty close.
It's always a mistake to assume science will never progress beyond what is known today.

Jun 3, 2017, 12:22 PM

You're wasting your energy. JHop doesn't do the whole science thing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2017, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Re: If you could witness any event in human history ]

So all it takes is a few basic elements and simple processes for inanimate objects to become self aware in a few billion years? So much so they contemplate their own existence and study that very same matter? That'll mess with your head.

Jun 3, 2017, 4:44 PM [ in reply to Re: If you could witness any event in human history ]

I don't care what science claims to know....Jesus has already proven to me that he's the way, the truth, and the life.

Even without that I'd never be able to come to the conclusion that everything we see around us poofed out of nothing....

Except for God***

Jun 3, 2017, 11:33 PM

Jun 2, 2017, 4:39 PM [ in reply to Re: If you could witness any event in human history ]

Good answer!

pretty decent description of "dinosaurs'

Jun 4, 2017, 8:23 AM [ in reply to Re: If you could witness any event in human history ]

in the book of Job, leviathan and mastodon. Man nick-named them as such in the 19th C.

Jun 2, 2017, 3:02 PM

can you imagine watching the big bang on a clear night from earth, talk about amazing!

Jun 2, 2017, 3:05 PM

You would have to be in the country.
Away from the light pollution of the big city.
You know, to see it clearly.
:)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Jun 2, 2017, 3:07 PM

I bet the indigenous people of the period where like ###?

Jun 2, 2017, 3:10 PM

I'm sure there undiscovered cave drawings somewhere, that detail the whole event.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

I think Francis and bob was there. Francis has polaroids. Bob couldn't see it

Jun 2, 2017, 8:07 PM [ in reply to Re: If you could witness any event in human history ]

Bc no step ladders yet. Hth!

I would prefer to see Lincoln building the

Jun 3, 2017, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Re: If you could witness any event in human history ]

cabin he would be born in.

Marie Antoinette beheading.

Jun 2, 2017, 3:03 PM

Alcoholic beverages must have been really potent/extra toxic back then, so that has the potential to be a really psychologically stimulating experience.

Jun 2, 2017, 3:06 PM

Coot locker room after 56-7.

Jun 2, 2017, 6:56 PM

Tigerbalm's mom's basement after Trump won the election would have been even better....

The resurrection of Jesus Christ followed

Jun 2, 2017, 3:08 PM

by His Sermon on the Mount.

Witnessing the parting of the Red Sea would be nice, but I probably would have been complaining shortly afterwards like the other Hebrews.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Wait a minute...

Jun 2, 2017, 3:26 PM

Are we talking fictitious events too? Or only things that actually happened?

Asking for several friends.

It's important

Re: Wait a minute...

Jun 2, 2017, 3:30 PM

you mean like the day Francis Marion® became a man?

If we're talking strictly actual events

Jun 2, 2017, 4:38 PM

Then I would have to say Roswell, NM 1947. I've always said I want to have contact with extra terrestrials before I die

If we are including fictitious events, I'd have to go with the birth of Christ

Going out of your way to offend others with a lame joke

Jun 2, 2017, 5:06 PM

Another liberal gets its wings

Lighten up Francis

Jun 2, 2017, 6:11 PM

Good grief. I bet you're a joy at parties

Pot - Kettle .....***

Jun 2, 2017, 8:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Are you sure you are using that phrase correctly?

Jun 3, 2017, 2:21 PM

I dont think you are using that phrase correctly

Re: If we're talking strictly actual events

Jun 2, 2017, 6:52 PM [ in reply to If we're talking strictly actual events ]

So we measure time by a dude who never existed's birth? Is that what you're telling me?

Jun 2, 2017, 9:20 PM

Exactly so-

The calendar used to be based on the theoretical founding of Rome by Romulus and Remus. About 525 AD (present calendar), the pope instructed a monk, Dionysius Exiguus (Dennis the Short), to restart time with the birth of Jesus.

Trouble was that for all the miraculous goings on surrounding the birth, nobody thought it important enough to write down anywhere, so Dennis had to guess. The Bible only gave vague help.

There were only two clues- the fable about Herod killing babies and another about Joseph and Mary's trip to Bethlehem for the Roman census. Herod (whose birthday and death day are known) died in 4 BC. The Roman census was in 7 AD. Dennis just picked a year in between and then mistakenly started his new calendar with year 1 instead of 0. Clearly, both stories can't be true and if you accept our current calendar, neither can be true.

So this calendar you cite actually hurts the case for Christ- it certainly does not prove your point.

And you thought you had it bad, Bob.

Jun 3, 2017, 9:14 AM

This Dennis guy's official title included "The Short."

Rough life for that Dennis dood.

~JKB

Jun 6, 2017, 3:06 PM [ in reply to Re: If we're talking strictly actual events ]

lol and crickets

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Jun 6, 2017, 4:10 PM

The position he's taking that Jesus didn't exist as a historical figure is shared by pretty much nobody in New Testament scholarship including skeptics.

Uhhh, yes

Jun 3, 2017, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Re: If we're talking strictly actual events ]

HTH

Jun 2, 2017, 4:04 PM
untitled.png(54.2 K)

God talking to King Arthur and his Knights.

Jun 2, 2017, 4:14 PM

Appomattox. Cause Lee was a class act and Grant made great concessions to his defeated enemy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Big Bang was not during Human History.

Jun 2, 2017, 4:18 PM

Technically couldn't be witnessed period.

The Dude abides

Re: Big Bang was not during Human History.***

Jun 2, 2017, 4:23 PM

Kitty Hawk 1903

Jun 2, 2017, 4:33 PM

Or at the Sea of Tranquility July 1969

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

you got your own space suit and all that??***

Jun 2, 2017, 5:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nope but I have duct tape!***

Jun 3, 2017, 9:37 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

the birth of

Jun 2, 2017, 5:31 PM

kate beckinsale's child because.....kate naked

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

my own birth and on way out figure

Jun 2, 2017, 6:05 PM

Out why women are soooo dang certifiable crazy

Jun 2, 2017, 7:03 PM

every moment of my life.

Jun 3, 2017, 12:51 AM

The Inquisition

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

Lol, wonderful***

Jun 3, 2017, 2:25 PM

Jun 3, 2017, 7:43 AM

I'd like to witness something that hasn't taken place yet. All the atheists reaction when they die when they realize there is a savior. Speaking to you Bill Nye you skinny bi+€#!

Jun 3, 2017, 12:18 PM

so you want to go forward in time? Have a seat right here, I will call your number.

i would go forward in time to see the first contact with ETs***

Jun 3, 2017, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Re: If you could witness any event in human history ]

Jun 6, 2017, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Re: If you could witness any event in human history ]

I really hope the Mormons are right. Apparently they believed when you die you go to a spirit prison so you get a second chance to believe in God.

However, the more likely outcome is once your neurons stop firing you won't even realize God wasn't real.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

This would have been cool to attend.

Jun 3, 2017, 9:33 AM

http://chicagoinworldwarii.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/1/0/24103661/5291939_orig.jpeg

Jun 3, 2017, 12:19 PM

Woodstock

Maybe get on a boat with Cortez

Jun 3, 2017, 2:23 PM

and see the Aztec civilization in full in its glory. To see exactly what they were doing and how life was them

That would be pretty cool

Jun 3, 2017, 5:53 PM

Just don't sleep with the blankets

I would think the Resurrection of Christ is a great answer here

Jun 3, 2017, 3:03 PM

For Christians...
The Resurrection of Christ is the one of the most if not the most significant event in history (along with his birth and death)

For Non-Christians...
What better way to disprove a major religion than to be there and attempt to discover how the grandest hoax of all time was pulled off?

All I know is that those that DID witness it had a dramatic change in their behavior and most were ultimately willing to die rather than say they saw anything other than a resurrected Christ. And that history doesn't just come from the Bible... it's backed up by several historical writings from that time including those by skeptics of Christ.

I personally wouldn't mind watching Joseph Smith translating his Golden tablets or Mohammed receiving a message from Gabriel in the caves... just to counter those religions.

Would be kind of a bummer.

Jun 3, 2017, 3:43 PM

For atheists it would seem like a waste of time to confirm the obvious. It would feel like a wasted chance to be anywhere. I see your point though.

what about the such religious events?

Jun 3, 2017, 6:06 PM [ in reply to I would think the Resurrection of Christ is a great answer here ]

Like Joseph smith receiving the book of Mormon? Muhammad's vision? Bubdha achieving enlightenment? The passover?

Re: I would think the Resurrection of Christ is a great answer here

Jun 3, 2017, 10:39 PM [ in reply to I would think the Resurrection of Christ is a great answer here ]

Don't know where you're getting your info, but one of the main problems is that there are no contemporary writings on the matter- not even Biblical to get technical.

The Josephus bit is a known forgery and not even a good one. Other far later writings simply acknowledge there were Christians and said in brief what they believed without comment on the veracity.

No mention of it at all until Mark 30 years after the claimed events (and no Biblical scholar thinks Mark was one of the disciples- it was written in pretty good Greek). The others were written well after that. And we have no clue what they said. The earliest surviving complete writings date to the 300's AD and many of those old copies vary wildly.

And then there is the problem that the Gospels disagree with one another on most major points- his heritage, his last words, time of the supper, tomb open or closed, who found it, who was waiting there, whom did they tell etc. etc.

Hardly scraping the surface here. Dig. Read the book. The answers are in the Bible, just not the ones you're looking for. Mr. Nye and I are not worried.

Jun 4, 2017, 9:18 AM

The "no contemporary writings" bit always makes me chuckle. You have four autobiographies conservatively dated within the first century which is unprecedented when it comes to ancient documents. Nothing from ancient history even comes close. Most others were written centuries after the historical figure they are about. People didn't run and jump on their laptop and have a story written within a day or two. Jesus lived and taught among the Galilean countryside where most people were illiterate. Why would the historians of the day write about him during his ministry?

The only parts of the Josephus mention that are considered forgeries are the parts that mention Jesus' deity. Several other historians mention Jesus Christ as well.

You say "I have no clue where you got your info", but you're on here spatting out things that only the vast minority of skeptical scholars hold to. Everybody knows Mark was not a disciple, neither was Luke. Mark was a companion of Peter and Paul. All four gospel writers clearly had knowledge of the geography and culture of first century Mediteranean world and all are conservatively dated within the first century which is again unheard of, and because of the vast number of copies of the Gospels we can be 99.9% sure we have what the originals said. Even Bart Ehrman, famous skeptical New Testament scholar who is an atheist admits this. He just simply believes Jesus followers made up the miracles and resurrection parts.

The "major discrepancies" you mention aren't major at all and in fact they are an argument for the historical reliability of the Gospels, not against it. They are exactly what you would expect from four different view points of the same event.

rjohn19®

Jun 4, 2017, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Re: I would think the Resurrection of Christ is a great answer here ]

"Bruce Metzger is one of the great scholars of modern times, and I dedicated the book to him because he was both my inspiration for going into textual criticism and the person who trained me in the field. I have nothing but respect and admiration for him. And even though we may disagree on important religious questions – he is a firmly committed Christian and I am not – we are in complete agreement on a number of very important historical and textual questions. If he and I were put in a room and asked to hammer out a consensus statement on what we think the original text of the New Testament probably looked like, there would be very few points of disagreement – maybe one or two dozen places out of many thousands. The position I argue for in ‘Misquoting Jesus’ does not actually stand at odds with Prof. Metzger’s position that the essential Christian beliefs are not affected by textual variants in the manuscript tradition of the New Testament."

http://crossexamined.org/is-the-new-testament-reliable-erhman-refutes-ehrman/

Jun 5, 2017, 10:25 PM

That is easily the worst cherry-picked and put-words-in-the-mouth version of Ehrman I've ever read. Youtube is full of his talks- I'd suggest you listen. He is a very engaging and entertaining speaker. To summarize (always an injustice) he clearly states the Gospels are not reliable, the authors were completely anonymous and make no claims to having been eye-witnesses there is no divinity and there were no miracles. Unlike true mythicists, he does believe the character of Jesus was based on real person.

And Ehrman, by the way, believes those differences are significant.

To answer the guy you replied to-

Jesus reportedly died around the year 30 to 33. The first Christian writer was Paul some 20 years later and Paul's Christ was not a man- he was a heavenly vision. Then came Mark some 40 years after the fact with the first account of human Jesus and he made no claim to first-hand knowledge.

Then, about 20 years later, the authors of Matthew and Luke added their spin after having read and copied from Mark- and that is mainstream scholarship. Those are the synoptics. Just because a man whose living depends on these things holding up says the differences are insignificant does not mean they are.

John, the oddball Gospel, was written about the year 100 and could not have added anything verifiably significant and by Jesus own failed prophesy, he should already have returned by the time John wrote.

Again- none of these guys claim to have met the man or witnessed anything they wrote about. There are no first-person statements in any of them. None of them has any idea when he was born or when he died and the two that leave clues are demonstrable wrong.

There were writers at the time and the Romans kept very good records- no mention of the eclipse, the earthquakes or dead zombies risen and walking about the city. Not a peep on any miracle.

Further the story makes no sense. In the original Gospel of Mark, Jesus cried out, "Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?" "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Those are the words of someone being tortured and killed against his will, not those of someone purposely ponying up for our original sin. And let's not even start on the original sin fable.

And besides all that, if holy books made religions true, the sky would be slap full of gods- and with all that's been going on in the world for centuries and centuries, there's no evidence for any of them.

There is no hard evidence for what you believe. It's why they call it faith.

Jun 6, 2017, 12:43 AM

Christ's words on the cross that you quote are considered by some to be a quote of Psalm 22. In Isaiah, Ch. 50 something I think, a verse considered prophetic, Christ is described as a man that others deem forsaken by God. Also for Christ's death to be fully redemptive it would seem necessary that Christ suffering and rejection should be total and that he should experience it that way. Complete obedience to the end, as someone else said earlier in this thread.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2017, 8:23 AM [ in reply to Re: I would think the Resurrection of Christ is a great answer here ]

That is a quote straight out of his book....how is that putting words in his mouth? I clearly said that Bart Ehrman believes the original writers of the Gospels embellished and exaggerated Jesus' miracles and deity....but that doesn't mean we don't have what they originally wrote....

You keep throwing these numbers out like "20 years later", "40 years later" like they help your argument, but they actually hurt it. The closeness with which the Gospels/New Testament writings can be placed to Jesus' life is unmatched by any document from ancient history.

You're also contradicting yourself. You throw up "no contemporary writings" of Jesus, but then downplay the Gospels because they may have not been written by people close to Jesus....circular argument.

Again, the writers of the Gospels had first hand knowledge of the geography and culture of the day, and they were written while followers of Jesus were still around. The early church credited Matthew the disciple, Mark who was a companion of Peter and around during Paul's ministry, Luke who traveled with Paul, and the disciple John who was an elder in the early church. Maybe they weren't actually written by the names they are attributed to, who cares? We still can be quite sure that we have what they originally wrote, we know they were around because they knew the culture and geography, and their accounts come within a generation of the person they wrote about....again, that is unprecedented by ancient standards. If you want to throw Jesus out you can throw everybody else you've learned about from ancient history as well.

"And besides all that, if holy books made religions true, the sky would be slap full of gods- and with all that's been going on in the world for centuries and centuries, there's no evidence for any of them."

So you're starting with the presupposition that God doesn't exist so Jesus had to either never existed or just simply been full of it, and that's fine. But....like Bart Ehrman, you are looking at the evidence with an extremely skeptical eye and applying ridiculous standards that you wouldn't apply to any other set of documents.

I understand your skepticism, I understand that it's hard to believe in Jesus and maybe they did embellish and exaggerate his life....BUT it is still a solid historical fact that he lived, he taught the message the New Testament says he taught, he died on a cross, and his followers believed he rose from the dead, and the kicker is that they went to their deaths proclaiming this when they simply could have walked away.

rjohn19®

Jun 6, 2017, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: I would think the Resurrection of Christ is a great answer here ]

Also, the author of Luke makes this claim and then the author of John and 1 John which scholars are pretty much unanimous that those books came from the same person does claim to have been an eyewitness....

Luke 1:1-4

1 Inasmuch as many have taken in hand to set in order a narrative of those things which have been fulfilled among us, 2 just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word delivered them to us, 3 it seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write to you an orderly account, most excellent Theophilus, 4 that you may know the certainty of those things in which you were instructed.

1 John 1:1-3

1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, concerning the Word of life— 2 the life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us— 3 that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ.

Jun 6, 2017, 8:58 AM [ in reply to Re: I would think the Resurrection of Christ is a great answer here ]

Another thing that is interesting about the authorship of the canonical Gospels....

If the early church was going to lie about who wrote them, who would you think they would have attributed them to? Certainly not Matthew who was a tax collector, certainly not Mark and Luke who weren't disciples. You would probably expect them to name someone like Peter, or Thomas, or Mary, people who were closer to Jesus and that's exactly what you see with the gnostic gospels which are dated at the earliest to the late second century.

Also, it's true that if we didn't have a single manuscript of the New Testament (there are about 5,700 copies) we could piece together the entire text just from the writings of the early church fathers alone....

Jun 6, 2017, 12:30 AM [ in reply to Re: I would think the Resurrection of Christ is a great answer here ]

Check out a work by Michael A Rood if your interested in putting your hand me down criticisms of the gospels to the test. It is his synchronization of the gospels.

Jun 3, 2017, 5:12 PM

When me and Doc reached 88 MPH in his Delorean. I've got to remember to pick up an Almanac.

Enoch being brought up to heaven and becoming the angel Metatron

Jun 3, 2017, 5:17 PM

Think watching this would explain many spiritual mysteries

I'd love to have been standing at that crossroad when

Jun 3, 2017, 6:19 PM

Robert Johnson made a deal with the devil!........??

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2017, 7:07 PM

hmmm thats a hard one.

either the big bang or gods hookup with Mary...that must've been somethin

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

Cleopatra***

Jun 3, 2017, 8:02 PM

Jun 3, 2017, 8:03 PM

Wish I could've seen a monkey morph into a human....

Yeah, evolution does't happen that fast.*****

Jun 3, 2017, 8:06 PM

Re: Yeah, evolution does't happen that fast.*****

Jun 3, 2017, 8:13 PM

But there had to have been that moment where a monkey was able to say "hey I'm not a monkey any more"....right?

8.7 billion species and only ONE developed the ability to do that....

It's shocking that people believe that nonsense.

One species has evolved?

Jun 3, 2017, 8:15 PM

What

Re: One species has evolved?

Jun 3, 2017, 8:21 PM

Not what I said.

8.7 billion species and only ONE has the ability to do all things we can do....reason, think critically, put meaning to our life, wonder where we came from....

And that happened by pure chance?

Nonsense.....

Jun 6, 2017, 1:43 PM

"reason, think critically, put meaning to our life, wonder where we came from"

And you know that other animals cant do some of things things how??

Jun 6, 2017, 2:28 PM

Are you serious right now?

Jun 6, 2017, 2:53 PM

You really think humans are the only species on earth that have the capability of reasoning and critical thinking?

You really cant be serious with that if you believe it to be true.

Jun 6, 2017, 3:29 PM

Not anywhere near the level humans do. We are distinct from every other species on earth in that we are humans and the rest are animals, and we are the only species that has the ability to say "me human, him dog". You don't see animals learning how to read and write and use language like we can. You don't see them studying other creatures or the stars or where we came from. You don't see them having weddings and funerals and putting meaning to their lives. They just survive, that's it.....

If the world evolved naturally there is no way that only ONE species out of the 8.7 billion to ever roam the earth would have developed the ability to do those things.

Jun 6, 2017, 3:41 PM

" You don't see them having weddings and funerals"

So you dont consider animals that breed with the same mate for life basically married?

Chimps and Elephants have been recorded basically grieving dead.

Hell dogs have been shown showing emotions around their deceased owners that one might consider grief.

You did not say anything about levels you said that other animals dont do these things. Now you are tyring to move the target after being called out.

Sorry Skeeter3 you are flat out wrong. Much like you were wrong about me ever being banned from the site unlike you.

Jun 6, 2017, 3:57 PM

Ok bro you win. Dogs stand over each other and whine a little bit so that's the same as extravagant $10,000 funerals human beings have.....

And I'm no zoologist or veterinarian but as far as I know animals just randomly bang each other. I've never ran up on a herd of deer having a wedding reception.

Jun 6, 2017, 4:01 PM

"but as far as I know animals just randomly #### each other."

Well at least you admit to being wrong.

coastlines erode, canyons form, oceans turn to deserts

Jun 3, 2017, 8:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, evolution does't happen that fast.***** ]

Glaciers melt, forests disappear, mountains shrink and grow etc etc. the world is always changing and it's crazy to believe that living organisms would respond to such change? If the earth changes so much why would the living things all remain exactly the same for millions of years?

Re: coastlines erode, canyons form, oceans turn to deserts

Jun 3, 2017, 8:24 PM

If the earth was formed naturally and nothing sustaining it it either wouldn't be here anymore or it would be absolute chaos.

Well there is a reason why life has flourished on this particular planet

Jun 3, 2017, 8:55 PM

Because the levels of chaos are much lower than the other planets that we are aware of.

Earth has a lot to thank for life. Jupiter is a big one. Especially during primordial earth, Jupiter acted as a shield against steroids for Mars and Earth. Of course in the case of Mars, atmospheric pressure is just way too low to support life (in modern days at least)

Earth as we know it now is not in its final state. Not even close really. There will come a day when Earth will no longer support life, thanks to the expansion of the Sun. Currently we are in the perfect habitable zone from our relatively young and tame sun.

Earth has chaos, hurricanes, tornados, tsunamis, volcano eruptions etc . But again they are not disruptive enough to render life impossible as they are on Venus, where the surface is constantly swamped in acidic storms.

Life is exceedingly rare in the universe . In fact as far as we know we are the only planet to have it (but we only know of less than 1-one millionth of even our own galaxy, so life almost assuredly exists elsewhere in the cosmos). Earth is incredibly special and required an astronomical amount of things to go in its Favor to be able to sponsor life as it does. It didn't always though nor will it always be the paradise we know it as (compared to the rest of our solar system and quadrant it is a freaking paradise)

Re: Well there is a reason why life has flourished on this particular planet

Jun 3, 2017, 9:07 PM

It would be much more chaotic among the species....

For one more than one species would be able to think like we do if everything evolved naturally.

Also there would be no universal standard of right vs wrong like there is.

LOL

Jun 3, 2017, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, evolution does't happen that fast.***** ]

wow

monkies never morphed into humans

Jun 3, 2017, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Yeah, evolution does't happen that fast.***** ]

evolution doesn't work that way

Macro evolution is junk science.

Jun 4, 2017, 12:41 AM [ in reply to Re: If you could witness any event in human history ]

Yes to micro evolution but macro evolution is crap. There aren't enough years to account for monkey to man. Funny too how monkeys have more chromosome pairs than humans...how'd that happen?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great apes and monkies split off from each other about

Jun 4, 2017, 5:53 AM

30 million years ago. It took another 24 million years before Australopithecus (the famous lucy skeleton) started walking upright and another 2-3 million years before humans arrived. We are not the only human species, just the only one left. There have been other human species as little as 20,000 to 30,000 years ago, the most famous being neanderthals. Neanderthals had big brains and big bodies, supposedly we were smarter and that's why we lasted, but that's certainly up for debate.

#### erectus was around for about 2 million years and #### sapien sapiens, us, left Africa about 200,000 years ago. Our early ancestors lived on earth with other human species. Maybe we killed the others off, our species seems to like to kill others that don't look or think like we do. There are a few other human species, but #### erectus and neanderthals were around a iong time and there were a lot of them.

So from a common ancestor with a monkey to humans took somewhere around 30 million years. At 5 generations per century that is 1,500,000 generational changes.

Re: great apes and monkies split off from each other about

Jun 4, 2017, 8:16 AM

The famous Lucy "skeleton" is actually and handful of bone fragments. How can you determine all that from this:

Since Lucy, there have been quite a few Australopithecus

Jun 4, 2017, 9:32 AM

found. Upright walking is rather simple to determine. The hip joint is rotated. That is the difference between Australopithecus and other primates. Australopithecus is not human or even very close to human. They were much closer to other primates, small brained and not much else in common with us.

http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/human-fossils/species/australopithecus-afarensis

Re: great apes and monkies split off from each other about

Jun 6, 2017, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Re: great apes and monkies split off from each other about ]

Its almost like they have found more since then....

I know shocking....

you need to read Walt Brown's

Jun 4, 2017, 2:43 PM [ in reply to great apes and monkies split off from each other about ]

In the Beginning, for starters, re-set, go from there. It's takes a lot more faith to state and believe what you just put out than to just believe the bible.

IS GENESIS HISTORY? If you have Netflix take a looksie

Jun 5, 2017, 10:33 AM [ in reply to great apes and monkies split off from each other about ]

Food for thought...

The Garden of Eden to see the first man and woman

Jun 3, 2017, 8:10 PM

And see if they really weren't ashamed of
being naked lol. And to confirm that they
didn't have belly buttons since they weren't
birthed from humans.

Re: The Garden of Eden to see the first man and woman

Jun 3, 2017, 8:14 PM

Cops catching Bobby Petrino on the bike with a volleyball player lmao, last year's USC thrashing! Hey it was great seeing the coot tails tuck, run, scream, and cry all in one night.

Jun 3, 2017, 10:12 PM

Doo Doo Ice consumption in the roach...

USuC wiped off the planet....

Jun 3, 2017, 11:12 PM

...a fella can dream can't he? ;)

I would absolutely want to know many advanced civilizations existed before us

Jun 4, 2017, 12:18 AM

Its mind boggling how thete is so many new discoveries basically proving that intelligent life existed before us and not just one race of intelligent beings, but several. Look at the pyramids of giza. If you actually research the subject there is no way what we are taught in school is accurate. They're teaching us that thousands of stones quarried over 100 miles away weighing over 3+ tons were just picked up, moved, cut and put perfectly in to place to build this almost indestructible structure that has lasted for god knows how long. Most archeologists are even accepting the fact that the pyramids are close to 40,000 years old. The pyramids are just one example; look at puma punku, the nazca lines, Stonehenge, derinkuyu, gobelki tepe, recent disovery of a 1,000 year pyramid underground in alaska, massive monuments found in our oceans, antartica's mysterious.....the list goes on. What we were taught in school is not accurate. I wish our society could realize this so we can understand our true origin of how we got here and learn about all the intelligent life that lived here before us because the proof is in front of our face.

Absolutely!!! I don't even think we know about our more...

Jun 4, 2017, 12:38 AM

...recent history. Vikings traveling to North America (east coast). Chinese traveling to the west coast. It's really a joke what they teach us because I think our minds would explode if we knew the truth of our true history.

Farther back in time I get the impression that the planet probably has had advance civilization a few times only to get destroyed either naturally, by their own hand, or by outside influence. India culture with their flying cities, stories of mass destruction by use of what sounds like atomic weapons, areas where it was written there used to be cities but there are still traces of radiation and sand turned to glass ala atomic blast...etc, etc. This planet has probably recycled the crust several times melting away any ancient evidence of advanced civilization millions of years ago. Just think if there was crust subduction where NYC is located all evidence would be erased in molten rock as NYC was sucked down 20 or 100 miles.

My money is on humans being an engineered cross breed between a local species and another foreign race of beings.

Exactly.

Jun 4, 2017, 1:53 AM

This is what i have been studying off and on for years. Most think it is laughable but if we all put time into researching more into this subject, we may be a little shocked to say the least. The alantians, lemurians, martians, etc. were all advanced civilizations that were wiped out/left earth for whatever reason (polar shifts, asteroid impacts, nuclear war). Ancient texts tell you almost exactly what happened but our belief is that those texts were false. Derinkuyu is truly a scary discovery....an underground city that housed 20,000 people that the "gods" built for them while they were at war. Dont believe me, research it for yourself. Puma punku in peru is another. Its estimated to be 12,000 yrs old, it has 1000s of stones that some weighed over 130 tons, only can be cut by diamond and according to what ancient texts tells us, it was built in one night. What was before us is something we may never know due to our closed minded society.

1981 national title game

Jun 4, 2017, 3:05 AM

Because then I could say I'd been to both of'em.

Re: Absolutely!!! I don't even think we know about our more...

Jun 6, 2017, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Absolutely!!! I don't even think we know about our more... ]

Wait so you think we can find fossils or dinosaurs from millions of years ago but we can't find the ancient cities made of metals?

What?

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

What do you normally find when....

Jun 6, 2017, 10:49 AM

...a city is destroyed by a nuclear weapon then 20,000+ years go by.

BTW, the vast majority (99.999999%) of all skeletal remains are not preserved. It takes very special circumstances for bones to become fossils.

My only point is that there a lot of history weirdness and likely so much history lost forever.

The pryamids of Giza are 4520 years old

Jun 4, 2017, 7:39 AM [ in reply to I would absolutely want to know many advanced civilizations existed before us ]

give or take a few years. Any archeologist that believes they are 40,000 years old is not an archeologist.

But what about The Sphinx...? It's still being debated...***

Jun 4, 2017, 4:05 PM

With regard to humans building pyramids I thought this...

Jun 5, 2017, 10:59 AM

...interesting:

https://www.hopechannel.com/read/aliens-or-egyptians-who-really-built-the-pyramids

Specifically of interest to me was the claim "However, in the NOVA pyramid-building experiment it took just 40 days to build a pyramid measuring 6 m (20 ft) high using mainly ancient technologies and a team of just 44 workmen, none of whom had any experience in pyramid building." But, then I came across this:

https://www.davidovits.info/nova-mini-pyramid-fiasco-and-swindle/

So, on two sides they built a "pyramid shape" but the resulting quality was far from "Egyption quality" and apparently there was some cheating involved.

Just more food for thought....

I'd like to see the interaction of the 7 disciples as described in John 21

Jun 4, 2017, 7:28 AM

when Jesus appears to them after they (the disciples) had been out fishing all night just a few days after Jesus' crucifixion.

I'd also like to see Saul's meeting with Jesus on the road to Damascus as described in Acts 9.

Jun 4, 2017, 4:23 PM

If I make it to the eclipse in August that will be good enough for me.

2017 NC game

Jun 6, 2017, 9:43 AM

Still the coolest thing I've witnessed.

I suppose the signing of the Declaration of Independence would be a close 2nd, though. Can't have juan without the other.

The first time

Jun 6, 2017, 10:09 AM

Aliens came to this planet and taught us everything we know.

lulz

Jun 6, 2017, 10:14 AM

okay

Easy...the Coots first National Championship in Football

Jun 6, 2017, 3:12 PM

because it'd mean I would be one very, very, very old man.

Jun 6, 2017, 4:17 PM

I'd probably go back and prevent Tigerbalm1 from ever starting this post, tbh. That went south in a hurry.

He asked "if you could witness any event"....

Jun 6, 2017, 5:07 PM

....not if you had a time machine and could alter an event.

Because if that was the case we all change our answers to something like:

- Not marry my wife
- Buy lots of stock in Apple or Microsoft
- Buy a lottery ticket with the winning numbers I already know
- Bet the house on the Super Bowl, et. al.
- Too many to list....

Replies: 132
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic