Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you are wanting a new coach, who?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,595

If you are wanting a new coach, who?

Feb 26, 2017, 10:03 AM

If Clemson moves in a different direction at the end of the season, I hope that Clemson focuses on a young, energized, up and coming coach who is very good at recruiting and with long term vision for building a stong program.

Must be young and proven to get talent and develop players.

Who should that be?

The school may have that in Monte Lee. Has it in Dabo. Who can that be for basketball?

I do think that Coach BB has had worse luck in his early years when he was exceeding preseason expectations, and has gotten better talent. I think his approach to the game via strong defense and running half court offense sets is what Clemson needs. They just need better talent. They may need someone to sell the vision better.

Coach BB lost out on some good recruits early in his years. This year, the lack of any consistent solid play of Gabe and Dante is why close games were losses. Go watch the 6 games which were losses by fewer than 6 points each. If Gabe and Dante are at average what they were last year, those are wins.

That may not bode well for next year no matter who coaches. Those guys may have to be the "leaders/veterans". Next year, Clemson may struggle due to the players. Plain and simple.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you are wanting a new coach, who?

Feb 26, 2017, 10:05 AM

Throw lots of money at Mark Few (Zags). 'nuff said.

Feb 26, 2017, 10:20 AM

I would be happy with...

Wojo from Marquette

Stealing Will Wade from VCU but prob wouldn't happen

Kevin Keatts current UNCW coach who worked with Pitino for many years
I would prefer an African-American coach

Cameron Dollar, Seattle

Andrew Toole, Robert Morris. - he recruited and signed M. Reed who is a talented scorer for us

Rob Murphy, Eastern Michigan

If Clemson moves in a different direction, then they must get a coach with vision, heart, energy and a great, great recruiter. It is plain and simple. Hard part will be in keeping such a person at Clemson for 10+ years. Or even 5.

I have said this a few times.

Feb 26, 2017, 10:31 AM

There is a lot that goes into hiring a coach. You look at Brownell's mid-major records and they are pretty good but they weren't outstanding. In his career he hasn't lost fewer than 10 games twice, and those were the bookend years at UNC Wilmington. Too me if you get a mid-major guy he needs to have a better record whereas Brownell probably averaged 11 or 12 losses a year even before he got to Clemson, thats not great. I think Clemson reached for Brownell and not in the good sense. Is he a great guy, absolutely he's a great guy but that doesn't win games. I think above anything else Clemson needs a guy that is going to recruit. We need a recruit first coach. Look at the great coaches in college basketball and I ask are they great because they are great coaches or because they get elite talent? Brownell and the coaching staff has been able to tell recruits about the facilities being built the past couple years and the recruiting hasn't changed yet. They are still getting only getting interest from recruits the caliber they already have. I don't count Zion because he is a local product and Clemson should be in it if they played basketball on an outside asphalt court and an aluminum 10x10 shed for a operations building. Clemson needs to get the talent in first. Clemson needs to show elite recruits you can come to Clemson and get to the NBA and when you show that the wins will come and then you can sell winning to these guys as well. Right now Clemson can't show either. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of schools that get it done through coaching that don't even bring in the talent Clemson does and if thats the route Clemson wants to go I am fine with that but his coaching ability needs to be undeniable. I don't thin Clemson can afford to get another mid-major coach that already averages 11-12 losses a year. Thats just my opinion but I will support this program regardless but that doesn't mean I have to be blindly happy no matter what.....

^^^ Paragraphs please ^^^***

Feb 26, 2017, 12:04 PM

Re: I have said this a few times.

Feb 26, 2017, 2:09 PM [ in reply to I have said this a few times. ]

Good post
Sound
Logical
Reasoned

Such a rare instance on here at times.

Feb 26, 2017, 1:23 PM

Clemson's next men's basketball coach wins games quickly and often, recruits well, and knows basketball. That coach would be better than Brownell.

Feb 26, 2017, 1:32 PM

How about Dennis Gates? Chief recruiter for FSU. Their roster is packed right now.

Feb 26, 2017, 3:19 PM

Have to agree the new coach must be a great recruiter,he could hire an assistant that knows the x' s an d o'. I'll go with the coach from UNCW. I think he's a star coach the FSU assistant might not be bad. He's definitely a great recruiter .

Feb 26, 2017, 3:25 PM

as mentioned previously Will Wade, Kevin Keatts at UNCW, Ed Cooley at Providence and a guy really starting liking more and more Pat Kelsey at Winthrop. Here is Bio:

http://www.winthropeagles.com/coaches.aspx?rc=438

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,595
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic