Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you Brad Brownell who CAN you hire?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

If you Brad Brownell who CAN you hire?

Jan 27, 2019, 2:58 PM

I have asked this on several posts and only get the answer we will hire a young gun who will turn things around. Most coaches don't want to come to a small half full arena with an administration that is not willing to pay players that are used to being paid 10's of thousands of dollars to play AAU. So the recruiting pitch sounds like this; No we can't pay you and there will be little fan support until you get your team to 22-25 wins. On top of that you will play in one of the toughest conferences in college basketball AND we will not have 4*'s or 5*'s to surround you with.
So tell me who CAN you hire to replace CBB and do a better job?
I need names and what your pitch is to get them here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you Brad Brownell who CAN you hire?

Jan 27, 2019, 3:03 PM

You don't need 22-25 wins to get the fans back. You just need an exciting brand of basketball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2019, 3:26 PM

Players should practice more on foul shooting in this last scenario .Paying anyone won’t get that done

Jan 27, 2019, 3:04 PM

CAN I QUOTE YOU ON THAT?

Jan 27, 2019, 3:05 PM

There are 100's of coaches that would love to come to Clemson and make 2.5 million per year. I don't think you realize how many basketball programs there are in the USA and how many head coaches and assistants there are. Clemson is a great job. By your theory we should just give CBB a lifetime contract.

Jan 27, 2019, 3:25 PM

Name some of the 100's.

Jan 27, 2019, 3:30 PM

I will leave that up to the AD. It doesn't matter. He would have to interview the potential candidates. I am not sure if he is going to go protege assistant coach, mid major HC, a lesser school HC looking to make more money, someone who is fired that becomes available, etc etc. I don't get to interview them to choose. Come back after CBB is gone after next season and when our AD is interviewing guys. I will let you know which one of the candidates I prefer. We will have CBB through next season. We have a long way to go.

Jan 27, 2019, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Re: If you Brad Brownell who CAN you hire? ]

The Clemson basketball coaching job would be a step up for most college basketball coaches in this country......which would include much more than 100 experienced coaches out there......so this notion that we would have a hard time finding or getting someone to fill the spot is not acceptable......we know what we have now and if that is where we are happy being then so be it........but the idea that we can not find someone to take this program to the next level is bogus......Coach BB is safe for awhile longer with the contract extension last year so I guess we will have to wait at least a few more years .......same ol same ol.....Go Tigers!!!!!

Jan 27, 2019, 8:39 PM

His buyout after next season is only 450k supposedly. If we do poorly next season, which we probably will, that might be good time to part ways after the season.

Jan 27, 2019, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Re: If you Brad Brownell who CAN you hire? ]

Great job if you are a mid major, where CBB came from, not a great job in the ACC.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2019, 3:30 PM

Even Mid-Major coaches, name who CAN be hired. Everybody is ready to fire CBB but no one has a plan for improvement. Its easy to make change, it hard to do the right thing!

Jan 27, 2019, 3:38 PM

Why would we have he plan? Our AD is the one who is paid to have the plan. That's why they general managers in MLB and the NBA. They don't ask disgruntled fans to tell them what to do and what moves should be made. Dan Radakovich is our AD, so basically our general manager. He makes those calls. Moreover, if we don't go to the tournament this year nor next, that will mean CBB went to 1 tournament in his last 11 years. You don't think that would be hard to match? Why wouldn't we make a move if we fail this year and next? We would have absolutely nothing to lose.

Jan 27, 2019, 3:33 PM [ in reply to Re: If you Brad Brownell who CAN you hire? ]

It's a great job as far as college basketball in the USA in concerned. There are 347 college basketball teams. That's a lot of head coaches and assistants. Very few of them are in great situations. Very few of them make 2.5 million. The vast majority have worse facilities. The vast majority don't have great fan support. Clemson is a good job in the big picture overall.

Jan 27, 2019, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Re: If you Brad Brownell who CAN you hire? ]

I would hire a very strong recruiter with an uptempo style .

Jan 27, 2019, 3:54 PM

Someone with an enthusiastic personality too. When it really comes down to it, it's entertainment. That's art of the reason everyone loves great Dabo interviews. Dabo's enthusiasm and passion is contagious.

Jan 27, 2019, 6:00 PM [ in reply to Re: If you Brad Brownell who CAN you hire? ]

Forgive me for asking, but since has Clemson Basketball become a good job for even a middle of the pack BB coach. Clemson is an excellent job for FB and Baseball coaches!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2019, 3:29 PM

Lol, Oliver Purnell is probably ready to come back.

Jan 27, 2019, 3:33 PM

After the way Clemson fans treated him, he would not come back for any amount of money.
(Can't win a tournament game, his defense kills his team at the end of the year, does not get the best out of his players and of course he just can't coach the talent he brings in.)

Jan 27, 2019, 3:56 PM

OP was pretty good other than the postseason. It always blows my mind when people act like we should be performing on the level of Duke or UNC in basketball. He didn't have nearly that level of talent when he was here. Who was the assistant that coached under him and ended up taking another team to the final 4 a couple of times as a head coach?

Jan 27, 2019, 4:01 PM

Speaking of assistant coaches. We could start by interviewing some of these guys on this list.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeCoachRankings/

when Shaka Smart left the program,OP was dead***

Jan 27, 2019, 8:32 PM [ in reply to Re: If you Brad Brownell who CAN you hire? ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2019, 6:00 PM

First off name me a few coaches wouldn't want to coach at Clemson. You say it's because we don't fill our arena.
The reason our arena is half full is that we are not competitive. But most of the other schools in the ACC not called Tarheels, or Blue Devils are at least competitive.
Then show me one Administration that pays players. In fact show me one ACC school other than North Carolina, or Duke that pays these players. And how much are they getting paid? And is the NCAA aware of these players getting paid at these, or any school?
Follow that by sharing the names of some of the players not recruited by Clemson that are playing in the AAU.
Maybe I'm just dumb, but you have me thoroughly confused by what I'm reading.
So fill me in, and then maybe I can suggest a few top quality coaches, or even some up and coming assistant who just might like to see if he can fill Littlejohn with 3 and 4-star players who can at least hit a freaking free throw with under 34 seconds to go in a game.

Jan 27, 2019, 7:07 PM

You are what you are. Clemson is not and nwver has been a basketball power. Last season we caught lightning in a bottle. The true b-ball blue bloods run the show nationally. To become one of them we must be like them. Something I don't believe any Clemson fan should be comfortable with. I say we honor this contract with Brownell and let the chips fall where they may. No one clean is going to win 22-25 games a year a win more than 1 to 2 tournament games every 2 to 3 years. Not happening!!

Jan 27, 2019, 7:28 PM

Rick Barnes went to the tournament his last 3 years in a row, so did OP. We went in Brad Brownell's 1st year too, which combined with OP's 3 straight sent us to the tournament 4 straight years. When that ended we had gone to the tournament 7 out of 11 years. Since then we have gone to the tournament 1 out of 7 years with Brad. We probably won't go this year, so make that 1 out of 8. Things have changed.

Jan 27, 2019, 9:15 PM

Don’t confuse us with all these facts......and simplifying our problem makes way to much sense.....Go Tigers!!!!

Jan 27, 2019, 10:07 PM

Yeah it's pretty straightforward.

Could this question have been asked about Coach Swinney

Jan 27, 2019, 10:21 PM

replacing Coach Bowden? Yes, it could have, and it was thousands of times. How about just select the most gung-ho asst. coach on the current staff and pay him an extremely minimal salary? It worked in football.

The low paid coach appreciated the moment, rose to the occasion, made wise decisions, hired the right staff, recruited with heart and authenticity, and is brushing up against greatness. Why make a coaching hire some Rubik's cube of complexity?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Swinney was not just an assistant

Jan 27, 2019, 10:29 PM

If you recall he was known among all assistants as one of the premier recruiters in the country. He was going to be hired by someone pretty quickly after the announcement on Tommy was announced. They didn’t want to let go of the recruiter he was, and not only that - he had a great personality that could possibly translate into a head coach. So unless we have a highly rated recruiter on staff...don’t waste your time.

all fine with your post

Jan 28, 2019, 6:11 AM

until "this is one of the toughest conferences in bb" ... um, if I'm a good player, I WANT to play in that conference and have the chance to make a name for myself. Never understood this reasoning. In recruiting, same thing: you present to the player that they have the chance to play against the best = easy recruiting sell (as if recruits don't know this already). Bottom of it is that we can take the challenge on or let's just move to a weaker league. And what's the point of that.

The guy at Wofford is skilled at doing the most

Jan 28, 2019, 6:28 AM

with less and doing it the right way but I doubt we could get him to leave. Wofford seems to build the same kind of loyalty in their coaches that Dabo has with our football staff.

We probably will have to wait until Dabo moves up to AD to fix basketball.

If you’ll remember basketball is D-Rad’s Achilles heel, he pretty much killed Ga Tech basketball with his last hire before he came here.

Jan 28, 2019, 8:40 AM

People made posts like this one all the time when Tommy Bowden was on the hotseat. I think it was good for us in football that our AD didn't just take an attitude of doing nothing because doing something might not work.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic