Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If we don't make the NCAA, then it's to time for a change.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,585

If we don't make the NCAA, then it's to time for a change.

Feb 14, 2019, 7:53 AM

In my opinion.

I like Brad. I really do. I've rooted for him to win. I think he knows a lot about the game. But there are some recurring themes. Is he snakebit? Yes, absolutely. But, that doesn't look to be changing.

This was his year to earn his salary and the raise. He's had time. Snakebit or not.

Look, I have hope we can go 9-9 and make the tourney. I really do. We can do it. I like to see good guys succeed. But this is the last chance. Win a couple big games and make the tourney, then he earns it. But if we don't, then he missed his opportunity. Simple as that. It's time.

Go Tigers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If we don't make the NCAA, then it's to time for a change.

Feb 14, 2019, 7:57 AM

Lol do you honestly believe that if we don’t make the NCAA tourney that CBB will be fired? He’s not made it several years in the past and still has a job so I don’t see why this offseason will be any different after just signing a big extension.

Feb 14, 2019, 7:57 AM

They likely wont make a change but there is no if. this team will not make it. to be as experienced as they are we just arent that good consisently

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hear ya. But there is an if.

Feb 14, 2019, 8:03 AM

It's not impossible. The extent of likeliness it debatable, but it is possible. I'm not one to throw in the towel. Let it play out and hope for the best.

Feb 14, 2019, 8:22 AM [ in reply to Re: If we don't make the NCAA, then it's to time for a change. ]

CBB has been the “Bowden” of Tiger BB. He inherited a program which had peaked under Purnell, especially based on poor outdated facilities and hit or miss recruiting. Purnell did good work, but failed later at DePaul.

Brownell quietly worked donors and helped DRad understand we were not competitive without a new LJC. He endured a season in Greenville! While no Tiger BB likes the yearly outcomes until last season, this coach put it together in ways NONE of us will fully understand. His staff has experienced turnover as well and now has stabilized.

This team is talented, good, but not great. It lacks two elements, consistent guard play, and any bench contributors who can score. We might have made the NCAA last year, but it is doubtful after our second one point ACC road loss. We needed two wins instead. Make the tourney and we likely lose in the second stage. Make the NIT and play to win it. That would actually accomplish something Clemson has never done!

Next year is a total unknown. I give CBB that season to show what he is capable of doing, but if he has two immediate back to back negative campaigns then reassign him or ask him to seek another job. Simple as that.

He either must succeed or as said elsewhere be replaced after a largely disappointing tenure.

Go Tigers ??!!

I gotcha but

Feb 14, 2019, 10:22 AM

I think the 'one more year' thing has fully run its course. With the team that came back, there is simply no reason whatsoever why we shouldnt make the tourney and even expect a decent run. I haven't thrown in the towel, but at season's end the summary of data is enough to make a call for next year. If we can't show progress with the team this year, then it would be foolish to expect a miracle next year. I think we lose 5-6 players this year. The contract should be no excuse to prolong the (seemingly) obvious.

I hope we make the tourney. I truly hope Brad can reverse the snakebitten trend. He's a good dude. Solid man and Clemson character. He's been so close for most of his tenure. But if we don't make the tourney this season, with this team, then I think it's time for some new blood.

Feb 14, 2019, 8:54 AM

I don't believe they would fire him this year no matter what. Would probably be after next season if there is not much improvement. DRAD will have some decisions to make if we dont make it after next year.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He should have been fired years ago...

Feb 14, 2019, 9:43 AM

We literally went 6 straight seasons without making the NCAA Tournament, which is completely unacceptable. He won't get fired after this year, even though he should, because he just signed an extension and "proved to administration" that he could succeed here by making the Sweet 16 last year.

I don't see us being even remotely good next year though, so maybe the situation will work itself out next year. We hit the jackpot in the transfer market a few years ago, but our recruiting just isn't at a level to compete in the ACC. We need a more marketable coach who can do what Georgia did with Tom Crean and sign at least some of the top players in our state. Had Zion come to Clemson, I truly believe Brownell could have succeeded here longterm. Missing out last year despite us having our best season in 2 decades just shows that Brownell just doesn't possess the ability to recruit at a high enough level.

he will be back next year

Feb 19, 2019, 12:28 AM

Even if we completely collapse down the stretch

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,585
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic