Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If the 4 team playoff requires conference championship
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

If the 4 team playoff requires conference championship

May 30, 2012, 1:07 PM

Does it still make sense to join a tougher conference. 20 years to win the ACC and just when things are primed to win it more regularly some of you want to move to the Big 12? That means having to get past Texas and OU for a chance at a NC, and all for just a few million more a year? Wouldn't one appearance in a playoff out of the ACC make up for a few years of extra revenue that would go along with being in the Big 12?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's the point in getting into the playoff

May 30, 2012, 1:32 PM

if you get beat by 40 points. Need to play better competition to get better

Re: If the 4 team playoff requires conference championship

May 30, 2012, 2:13 PM

I have read several post here and on other sites, that seem to dictate to me, coaches, commishes, and who ever else can manipulate things want to make the path to a championship easier. What ever happened to earning what you get, or in this case win. I want to play the strongest comp out there, then win or lose, there are no excuses. I have my personal preferences as to what WE do as a team, but regardless, win and things fall into place. Until we establish a true college (div 1) playoff system, someone is always going to be on the outside looking in!! Just my thoughts! Go TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Until we establish a true college (div 1) playoff system"

May 30, 2012, 3:33 PM

Until we establish a true college (div 1) playoff system, someone is always going to be on the outside looking in!!

Even after we get a playoff system, someone is always going to be on the outside looking in. If we have an 8-team playoff, 9, 10, 11, etc. will be wondering why they didn't get in. Expand to 16 team, and 17, 18, 19, etc. will wonder why they are not in. Expand to 64 teams and 65, 66, etc will be on the outside looking in. The only way to have a playoff and not have someone on the outside looking in is to include all 123 teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2012, 3:06 PM

I think some people are missing the point. If you have a 4 team playoff, the 4 teams are more than likely being made up of the conference champions. Look at the ACC champions (including us last year), for the history of the conference championship game, would any of these teams be included in the 4 team playoff. I would confidently say that the 4 team playoff would be made up of the champion from the SEC, Big 12, PAC12, and Big Ten. So, our only chance of making the 4 team playoff, would be if we went 11-1 and won our championship. Any other scenarios, we would be on the outside looking in. This is why we should move to the BIG 12.

May 30, 2012, 3:14 PM

That's only true up to a point. No one disputes that the ACC is in a down cycle right now. But in the 80s and 90s, the ACC champs were routinely as good or better than anyone in the country.

Neither the relative weakness of the ACC nor the relative strength of other conferences is guaranteed to always be the case...

Instead of clamoring to move to the Big 12, we - along with everyone else not in those four conferences - should be applying serious pressure for the adoption of an expanded playoff format. If we luck out and end up in the Big 12 with access to the 4 team playoff, that still doesn't justify the four-team playoff system as an adequate way to determine the champion.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic