Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If not Brownell... Then who?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

If not Brownell... Then who?

Mar 14, 2019, 10:42 AM

Some like CBB. Some don't.

For those that don't who would you replace him with?

Anybody know the story on Earl Grant at CofC?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If not Brownell... Then who?

Mar 14, 2019, 10:45 AM

Your worst enemy? Your mother in law? Who would you wish this disaster on? :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2019, 10:47 AM

Since whenever the discussion of getting a new B-ball coach occurs, there are always a few posters who say "who are you going to get?" Here are a few names that I'd take a look at....

Former Head Coaches:
Steve Alford
Thad Mata

Mid majors:
Jeff Boals
Mike Young
Eric Mussleman
Nate Oats

College Assistants:
Micah Shrewsbury
Tommy Lloyd
Jon Scheyer

Mar 14, 2019, 10:48 AM

It’s not personal, I think everyone on this board likes BB as a person. He seems like a good dude

If you like him as a coach, you’re blind. But that doesn’t make me not like him as a dude

Mar 14, 2019, 10:52 AM

Not as much like or dislike w me, Its that it isnt working. This is like 2 years ago on close games only now after sweet 16 all these transfers are 5th year seniors. To be this bad in close games with the experience he claimed was needed a couple years ago should send off all sort of red flags. Something is definitely missing

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2019, 10:56 AM

A coach

Mar 14, 2019, 10:49 AM

Thad Matta
Earl Grant
Mark Byington
Ron Hunter
etc.
etc.

Mar 14, 2019, 11:36 AM

Thad Matta
Earl Grant
Mark Byington
Ron Hunter
etc.
etc.

Wondering how many of these guys would actually be willing to coach at Clemson? And if they did could we afford the salary and additional staff?

Anybody not named Brownell.***

Mar 14, 2019, 10:49 AM

Somebody who can relate better to today's high school.......

Mar 14, 2019, 10:50 AM

players. There's no reason we can't attract better talent given our facilities, conference, etc.

Dabo and his assistants show why it's important to build relationships.

Re: Somebody who can relate better to today's high school.......

Mar 14, 2019, 10:55 AM

yeah I'm sure this has never occurred to our hoops coaches. SMDH

Am sure it's occurred to them but they're not getting......

Mar 14, 2019, 12:11 PM

it done obviously.

This sounds defeatist to me

Mar 14, 2019, 10:57 AM

My contention all along is that Clemson is special. Clemson IS unique. There IS something in these hills. And we should never ever ever settle for mediocrity. Our head football coach doesn't. Apparently our women's basketball coach doesn't either.

So if our AD and administration settle for mediocrity, then maybe we're not as special as I believe. Maybe we're just average (sigh). Horseshite.

Don't tell me there isn't a diamond in the rough out there, or, a diamond. Don't tell me we can't get get one. Don't settle.

Sorry for the rant.

Why should we be looking for a diamond in the rough?

Mar 14, 2019, 11:26 AM

That's one of the major issues I see with our basketball program over the last 100 years: we always try to find the young up-and-comer, get him for cheap, provide inconsistent support for the program, and hope that he somehow is successful here. In the off chance that he is, we hope that he will stay for the long term.

This strategy has a very, very low chance of succeeding. In fact, it has never worked at Clemson.

So if we truly believe that Clemson is a special place, and we are serious about basketball, stop looking for the diamond in the rough and actually pony up the money and support for a coach who has proven he can win on the major college basketball level.

Otherwise we're just continuing to sell ourselves short.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

(part 2)

Mar 14, 2019, 1:15 PM

...my only hesitation is that we have, perhaps, the all-time greatest unknown quantity as our current football coach/future legend in Dabo. If we can find a Dabo to coach the men's team -- you can call him whatever you want. I'll take it!!

whoever has a proven track record of beating the Tarholes.***

Mar 14, 2019, 11:09 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2019, 11:17 AM

My choice would be Lavelle Moton at NCCU. Think he could do a really good job. Earl Grant would be a good one too if they try to stick in the “Clemson family”. Will Wade might be available in a few days...

Will Wade??? I hope you are joking!!***

Mar 14, 2019, 12:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will Wade??? I hope you are joking!!***

Mar 14, 2019, 12:19 PM

Yikes. Yes of course I’m joking

A young guy who is relatively unknown, has played and

Mar 14, 2019, 11:20 AM

coached under proven winners. Has a clear vision of what he wants to do and how he's going to do it, a good Christian with true moral fiber, and has a funny and unique first name like "Baboo" or something.

Mar 14, 2019, 11:31 AM

Shaka!!

Mar 14, 2019, 11:32 AM

Let the Women's coach take over.

Someone that can recruit would be a great start***

Mar 14, 2019, 11:46 AM

Clemson has never recruited well in basketball

Mar 14, 2019, 1:12 PM

except when we cheated (Tates Locke and Cliff Ellis). We ended up on probation both of those times, and obviously don't want to go that route again.

I still contend that our inability to recruit is not based on the head coach, but more on the perception that Clemson doesn't care about basketball. It's not as simple as finding a persuasive, likable guy to sell recruits on Clemson basketball, because recruits still believe that Clemson only cares about football and that basketball is an afterthought. There is some truth to that, and asking a coach to overcome that, as well as our poor basketball history and lack of funding for basketball at Clemson relative to other ACC schools, is asking the impossible.

I know I sound like a broken record, but the sooner we acknowledge that our basketball problems are much larger than the coach, the sooner we can actually make some lasting change rather than continuing spinning our wheels.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 14, 2019, 12:08 PM

More will be available soon.

Mar 14, 2019, 1:01 PM

Monty Williams. Young, high character, and has NBA head coaching pedigree.

Mar 14, 2019, 1:56 PM

I still like Mark Few at Gonzaga. Yes I know, he's happy there and would never leave. He runs a clean and solid and competitive program every year, so I respect him highly. If I were DRad, I would at least check with Few to see if there are any possibilities. Just my opinion.

Jack Squat***

Mar 14, 2019, 1:59 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic