Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Ga's defense will struggle why won't Cu's offense?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 128
| visibility 101

If Ga's defense will struggle why won't Cu's offense?

May 2, 2013, 9:54 AM

After all Cu must replace key skilled position players. Rb, Wr, Wr, Te, and center. Now while all projected starters (sans the Te) have some PT experience each of these players were not listed as 1st stringers in 2012.

The most experienced is Wr Humphries with 41 receptions for 480 yards and 1 td. Followed by Peake with 25 catches for 172 and 2 tds. What's surprising about these numbers is that both averaged less than 7 yards per catch. Products of 5 yard down and outs and passing horizontally down the line of scrimmage i assume. Little quick hitters mind you. Wr/Te Seckinger also managed 4 recepts for 35 yards and 1 td.

The projected starters at Rb will be in order of their respectives yards last season McDowell (450/5tds), Howard(138/2tds) and Brooks (119/0tds). Freshmen Dye and Gallman may steal some carries here but as it stands right now there's no Andre Ellington talent back there.

Your Te position is now a huge question mark with the injury to Cooper the projected starter. While Seckinger and true freshman Leggett will see much of the playing time neither have the size of a true Te so there could be blocking issues.

And finally Morris is replacing his best Olinman at center in Dalton Freeman who i expect played 99% of the snaps last season.... so whoever replaces him will not carry Freeman's clout. In addition, isn't the coaching staff still looking for a starting offensive tackle? Your oline depth seems "We not too Deep!"

Now teams replace players every year and sometimes those replacements prove to be just as or more productive than the previous players......but generally that takes time. So just bear in mind while yes, Ga's defense is expected to suffer from growing pains early there is every reason to indicate that Clemson's offense will experience those same growing pains....more especially in the season's 1st game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Umm did you possibly forget about that Freshman All-American

May 2, 2013, 9:56 AM

WR named Watkins??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Umm did you possibly forget about that Freshman All-American

May 2, 2013, 10:27 AM

No....we're talking about replacements here. Watkins is a starter.

The equal question is

May 2, 2013, 10:29 AM

How will Clemson D handle UGa O? Bottom line is going to be on our defense. Not to sound cocky but we are going to score points. How our defense plays will pretty much determine the outcome of the game.

You are right. And I think you can also put it this way:

May 2, 2013, 10:39 AM

whoever can get the critical stops late in the game will win. I like our chances in that case.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

But he's moving to Hopkins' old position (boundary receiver)

May 2, 2013, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Umm did you possibly forget about that Freshman All-American ]

so technically he's a replacement.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Umm did you possibly forget about that Freshman All-American

May 2, 2013, 5:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Umm did you possibly forget about that Freshman All-American ]

At center, Clemson will have their top inside reserve lineman. He played special teams and got 277 live snaps, which is a lot for a reserve OL. Teams don't rotate the OL like they do DL. We'll be fine there. Otherwise, the OL returns intact. The staff is just trying to make it a little better. The wild card there is that we have a true freshman who played his tail off against solid competition in the bowl game. If he can win that spot, then then we just get that much better inside since the starting LT most of last year was the starting LG the year before.

The RB spot will be the toughest to replace, but the 2nd team guy is a redshirt senior who played a lot including 44 snaps against LSU. We may or may not be playing a couple 4* freshmen. You Dawgs might know a thing or two about playing freshmen running backs.

At WR, I feel best of all. Sure, we lost some experienced talented players, but we've got 4* and 5* guys who have shown steady improvement. Sammy didn't produce as well last season as he did as a freshman. I wouldn't look for that to continue.

The biggest thing, however, about Clemson's offense that gives me confidence is the return of their leader, 5 year senior Tahj Boyd. He'll be a steady influence in the huddle, he'll make the right reads and he won't turn the ball over.

Typical UGA trash.***

May 2, 2013, 9:58 AM

There's something in these hills.

Re: Typical UGA trash.***

May 4, 2013, 3:08 PM

Your post is trash.

Sammy?

May 2, 2013, 9:59 AM

I assure you that your DC won't forget about him in his gameplan.

Sammy Watkins is a starter.

May 2, 2013, 10:29 AM

My OP is about replacing your skilled position players.

Since Watkins is replacing Hopkins...

May 2, 2013, 10:56 AM

He would be a replacement. Just a far more dangerous replacement at the position.

And Watkins' replacements are taller and and stronger at his old position.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know what?

May 2, 2013, 10:02 AM

point coming your way for actually acquiring facts instead of posting some garbage insult.
My quess will be that our backups on offense got a lot of reps. I didn't see you list Martavous Bryant in addition to Humphries and Peake. Obviously Watkins is going to be the go to guy. As far as rBs McDowell came on strong by the end of the season. I was very critical of him up to that point for his indecision. Howard runs hard and has great balance.
Obviously you guys took a tremendous hit on D. I would have to venture out to say this is the main reason Clemson has an edge with the other being your young D will travel to Death Valley.
Either way its going to be a battle I can't wait to see. Thanks for your post.

Re: You know what?

May 2, 2013, 10:06 AM

Yeah, I don't have any problem with a post like his. I think the additional year of experience from the guys coming back will more than overcome the potential weaknesses he mentions, but at least there is some logic to his argument.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who Did UGA open with last year, and

May 2, 2013, 10:19 AM

did you hang out on their message boards for months in advance? Why would you do so much homework on a little ACC school, anyway?

Sorry about Martavis......statistically not relevant

May 2, 2013, 10:34 AM [ in reply to You know what? ]

I should have mention Bryant but he had 1 catch for 17 yards.....not much of an impact. But yes, lots of potential.

Where are you getting your stats from.

May 2, 2013, 10:39 AM

A 4* recruit that was practically 3rd string last year and had 10 rec for 300 yards with a 30.5 YARD AVERAGE. Now imagine that production as a starter.

########.

Re: Where are you getting your stats from.

May 2, 2013, 11:18 AM

no need for the namecalling.

here you go.

http://clemson.rivals.com/playerstats.asp

Wow you really are an idiot. Click your own link.

May 2, 2013, 11:23 AM

You're looking at Martavis Bryant (WR) RUSHING statistics.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Re: Wow you really are an idiot. Click your own link.

May 2, 2013, 11:41 AM

ok my bad.

Re: Where are you getting your stats from.

May 2, 2013, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Where are you getting your stats from. ]

The stats aren't wrong. You're looking at his rushing stats. Nice try though.

Re: Sorry about Martavis......statistically not relevant

May 2, 2013, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Sorry about Martavis......statistically not relevant ]

huh...do you ever do your homework?

http://www.tigernet.com/view/player/football.do?id=174

2011: Had nine receptions for 221 yards and two touchdowns along with two kickoff returns for 45 yards in 195 snaps over 14 games (two starts)...averaged 24.6 yards per reception...had a 54-yard reception in his first career game against Troy on Sept. 3...had a 42-yard touchdown reception against Wofford on Sept. 10...had a 33-yard reception against #11 Florida State on Sept. 24...made his first career start at #10 Virginia Tech on Oct. 1...had a 16-yard reception at Maryland on Oct. 15...had two receptions for 54 yards, including a 29-yard touchdown catch, and a nine-yard kickoff return against North Carolina on Oct. 22...had a 36-yard kickoff return at #13 South Carolina on Nov. 26...had two receptions for 20 yards against #22 West Virginia

Sound quite as irrelevant as you just said? I think not.

Re: Sorry about Martavis......statistically not relevant

May 2, 2013, 11:22 AM

can i help it if your own Rivals site has wrong info? Take a pill.

It's more of a reading problem i think.

May 2, 2013, 11:23 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=13862776

Re: If Ga's defense will struggle why won't Cu's offense?

May 2, 2013, 10:05 AM

The wide receivers won't be an issue. All the guys on the bench are highly recruited kids that have been waiting their turn. Martavias Bryant is one of them. He's the kind of guy your going to look at and think how he hasn't played more. He's had to mature the last two years and continues to get better.

Humpfreys is no joke. He came in as a small time recruit and plays with a chip on his shoulder.

We also have a small red shirt freshmen that is said to be great. He was redshirted last year because of our depth.

We will be fine with te receptions, but blocking is going to hurt. That is where we rely on the chad to help with miss direction.

We are such a passing threat running game opens up. UGA, USC, and UNC have seen first hand how much freshmen running backs can make an impact. We also have hot rod who has gave 100% since coming to Clemson.

It sucks losing freeman, but returning everyone else leads me to believe that our o line play will be better.

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

May 2, 2013, 10:16 AM

Not to mention that Martavis has rededicated himself and is really poised to make the most of his new starting role. We have so many good receivers, trying to get them all PT is our biggest problem.

As for TE, these guys have never heard of JJ McCollough, evidently. I never see any of them mention him as a possible contributor. I expect to see him when we need an effective blocker.

RB is not a position I worry about at all. Hot Rod could have had Ellington-type numbers if he had gotten all the touches AE did. As long as he can remain healthy, Rod can get it done. Brooks will be bigger and stronger by August, too. Both incoming freshmen have potential to avoid the red shirt.

Besides, when you're comparing inexperience on offense against inexperience on defense, the offense will win. they know what they're doing/where they're going. Those young guys on D for UGAy will have a hard time dealing with all the moving parts of CM's offense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

May 2, 2013, 10:40 AM

Look, i understand your points but I could name off a dozen Uga players that you haven't heard about our staff is extremely excited about. just saying........

Feel free to do that. I hope you know more about UGA's

May 2, 2013, 10:42 AM

backups than you know about Clemson's. Which is evidently nothing.

I think what 78 is saying to you is

May 2, 2013, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: If Ga's defense will struggle why won't Cu's offense? ]

Our offense is so deceptive and has so many moving parts that it's hard for even the most experienced defensive players to read and play against. Just ask all the D players for LSU that just got drafted.

You have talent, but inexperience and the deception in our offense is a strong adavantage our way!

You are definitely going to bring defensive talent on Aug 31, but asking that inexperienced talent to read and decipher what we do defensively is a BIG task.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Re: I think what 78 is saying to you is

May 2, 2013, 11:15 AM

Come on...it's not like this is the first spread offense we've seen. You dink and dunk. Wr screens, reverses, Wr end arounds, hook and ladder....trickery. Auburn's Malzahn has been running the same thing for years. It gains a ton of yards between the 20's but it's not as effective in the red zone.

I think you better look again

May 2, 2013, 11:18 AM

at game tape if you want a more accurate assessment.

So, 95 % red zone scoring isn't effective?***

May 2, 2013, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: I think what 78 is saying to you is ]

And before you ask....

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/team/147/redzone/offense/split.html

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THAT was quick. Got it out before I could get back. +1.***

May 2, 2013, 11:24 AM

Bahaha this guy must have some heavy duty equipment

May 2, 2013, 11:25 AM

to keep digging this massive hole he's in. LOL

Yep: we sealed him off in his sewer pipe...

May 2, 2013, 11:31 AM [ in reply to THAT was quick. Got it out before I could get back. +1.*** ]

...before he could slink away. Well done!

Re: So, 95 % red zone scoring isn't effective?***

May 2, 2013, 11:36 AM [ in reply to So, 95 % red zone scoring isn't effective?*** ]

well, in 2012 you scored tds 73% of the time and kicked fg's at a rate of 27%. That's a big improvement from the 57% in 2011 Morris' 1st season........but at the same time 37 tds were lost from last years offense.

May 2, 2013, 11:46 AM

The contention was that Morris's offense was "dink and dunk. Wr screens, reverses, Wr end arounds, hook and ladder....trickery ... It gains a ton of yards between the 20's but it's not as effective in the red zone.

We countered that this "dink and dunk" offense produced 95 percent scoring (and didn't even mention that half the unsuccessful trips came when backup QBs took a knee inside the 20 at game's end).

Your reply is that we lost 37 TDs from an offense that was markedly better. That's fine, but it doesn't answer your contention that Clemson's offense is not prolific in the Red Zone.

It does reflect the fact that you don't really want to consider just how devastatingly effective Clemson's offense is now, because it absolutely demolishes your original contention: that a rebuilding Clemson offense will be no better than a gutted JawJaw defense.

Your original flawed premise has been refuted, your counter has been crushed. Any further attempt to refute will be little more than ...

... defending a burning fort. Best to get out now while you can.

BOOM. Roasted.***

May 2, 2013, 11:49 AM

May 2, 2013, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: So, 95 % red zone scoring isn't effective?*** ]

nice info but where has that scoring been versus the SEC? Morris offense hasn't broken 27 total points yet in it's last 4 SEC meetings.

Nice attempt, straw man...

May 2, 2013, 12:02 PM

The attempt to sidestep explaining how a 95 percent successful offense isn't really successful is amusing.

However, it does bring the argument full circle....how is a defense that has been gutted of its supposedly superior SEC-quality players going to stop an offense that is as strong or stronger at every position, and managed to misfire on only 5 percent of the Red Zone opportunities it had ... 2.5 percent if you subtract taking a knee.

Re: Nice attempt, straw man...

May 2, 2013, 12:07 PM

oh....we're as strong or stronger at every position too. see how that works.

Since we've defended our position with statistics...

May 2, 2013, 12:16 PM

...we welcome you to do the same.

That, or yield the floor.

What numbers can you present that indicate your defense will be as stout, or even stouter, than last year?

Re: Since we've defended our position with statistics...

May 2, 2013, 12:23 PM

Not against the SEC you haven't. Morris' offense versus the weak ACC and the Furmans and Ball st's of the world is impressive. Where's the scoring versus the SEC?

May 2, 2013, 12:27 PM

Andre - vs Auburn:

"Andre Ellington rushed for 231 yards to lead No. 14 Clemson to a 26-19 victory over Auburn in the season opener Saturday night."

Tahj - 36/50 346 yards vus LSU D.

May 2, 2013, 12:30 PM

you couldn't break 30 versus an AU team that when 0-8 in conference play?

But... wait... they're SEC right? Or do they not count?***

May 2, 2013, 12:34 PM

doesnt matter, SEC! SEC! SEC!***

May 2, 2013, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Since we've defended our position with statistics... ]

Nice attempt at deflection...

May 2, 2013, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Since we've defended our position with statistics... ]

That wasn't the original argument. So I'll repeat:

Since your original assertion was that Clemson's offense would be at least as weak as your untried defense ... and since we have responded with statistics (including a 100 percent) success rate by our Red Zone offense against the SEC) ... What numbers can you present that indicate your defense will be as stout, or even stouter, than last year?

Re: Nice attempt at deflection...

May 2, 2013, 12:46 PM

all you represented were stats from an offense that must replace 37 tds. what % of last season's tds do you have returning? That is my orginal arguement.....that the Cu replacements could/will struggle as much as our defensive replacements.

I just realized where you got that 37 TDs. You really have

May 2, 2013, 12:53 PM

no clue about this offense, do you? Sammy only had 700+ yards last year. He might double that this year.

Re: I just realized where you got that 37 TDs. You really have

May 2, 2013, 12:59 PM

or he might not. morris might try that inside handoff again. really surprised he didn't return....###?

Moved to the boundary WR position this year. Much less

May 2, 2013, 1:03 PM

running if the past is any indication and I'm glad.

OK ... one more time:

May 2, 2013, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Nice attempt at deflection... ]

* Clemson returns the quarterback responsible for 50 of those touchdowns.

* Clemson places its top receiver of 2011 in the slot that accounted for 18 of those touchdowns. In his freshman year, that player scored 12 TDs with a first-year qb. I can promise that the combination of experience at QB and the quality of players (who accounted for 7 TDs in their limited roles last year) will be more than enough to compensate.

* Clemson places last year's top per-carry rusher in the position responsible for 8 of those touchdowns. Since he was responsible for 5 TDs on his own, we are in effect replacing only 3 touchdowns at the position ... and I can promise you that the talent we have at that position will more than make up for three TDs.

* The contention of replacing the scoring at tight end is valid. However, since last year's 8 touchdown starter at tight end was also a first-year starter, and since one of the players slated to start at TE has a TD catch from that position, it's likely he'll be able to step in adequately.

* The notion of replacing a center is always daunting. However, since the replacement is larger, stronger and already has nearly 300 college snaps, and surrounded by seasoned linemen, I am confident he will adjust just fine.

NOW ...

please produce your statistics that indicate the backups you'll be plugging in against us will be comparable to last year's defense.

Since we've defended our position with statistics...

May 2, 2013, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Since we've defended our position with statistics... ]

Team Stat Comparison
BUFF UGA
1st Downs 17 23
Total Yards 347 485
Passing 148 258
Rushing 199 227
Penalties 3-25 5-22
3rd Down Conversions 6-18 7-14
4th Down Conversions 1-1 0-0
Turnovers 0 0
Possession 32:07 27:53
Passing Leaders

Buffalo C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
Zordich 14/24 148 6.2 1 0
Georgia C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
Murray 15/26 258 9.9 3 0
Rushing Leaders
Buffalo CAR YDS AVG TD LG
Oliver 30 111 3.7 1 36
Zordich 14 83 5.9 1 26
Georgia CAR YDS AVG TD LG
Gurley 8 100 12.5 2 55
Marshall 10 46 4.6 0

Check out the yards Buffalo laid on your D. I will give the stat about where they finished on offense in a second.

Superdawg will claim they were playing the Buffalo

May 2, 2013, 1:20 PM

Bills.

Need him to answer: Who was better?

May 2, 2013, 1:32 PM

Buffalo or Auburn? See thats tricky they do not dare disrespect a member of the brotherhood but in this case it hurts his cause. Interesting.

well...nowhere in the top 50

May 2, 2013, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Since we've defended our position with statistics... ]

1 Louisiana Tech 12 1054 6935 6.58 84 577.92
2 Baylor 13 1072 7439 6.94 76 572.23
3 Texas A&M 13 1025 7261 7.08 78 558.54
4 Oklahoma St. 13 1014 7111 7.01 73 547.00
5 Oregon 13 1058 6986 6.60 89 537.38
6 Marshall 12 1087 6411 5.90 65 534.25
7 Arizona 13 1082 6840 6.32 65 526.15
8 Nevada 13 1080 6693 6.20 66 514.85
9 Clemson 13 1062 6665 6.28 68 512.69
10 West Virginia 13 998 6526 6.54 69 502.00
11 Troy 12 966 5985 6.20 45 498.75
12 Oklahoma 13 1005 6472 6.44 64 497.85
13 Texas Tech 13 993 6446 6.49 62 495.85
14 North Carolina 12 898 5827 6.49 62 485.58
15 Houston 12 984 5755 5.85 47 479.58
16 Fresno St. 13 1006 6208 6.17 66 477.54
17 Syracuse 13 1028 6188 6.02 49 476.00
18 Tennessee 12 890 5711 6.42 56 475.92
19 Florida St. 14 941 6601 7.01 68 471.50
20 Northern Ill. 14 1023 6574 6.43 71 469.57
21 Utah St. 13 893 6098 6.83 59 469.08
22 Georgia 14 924 6547 7.09 72 467.64
23 Arkansas St. 13 952 6067 6.37 58 466.69
24 UCLA 14 1095 6531 5.96 62 466.50
25 Arizona St. 13 1011 6039 5.97 65 464.54
26 Nebraska 14 1040 6451 6.20 61 460.79
27 Ball St. 13 1035 5944 5.74 52 457.23
28 Tulsa 14 1160 6400 5.52 65 457.14
29 La.-Lafayette 13 873 5919 6.78 58 455.31
30 San Jose St. 13 914 5800 6.35 57 446.15
31 Alabama 14 898 6237 6.95 71 445.50
32 Toledo 13 962 5788 6.02 49 445.23
33 Ohio 13 998 5782 5.79 49 444.77
34 Indiana 12 939 5304 5.65 46 442.00
35 Georgia Tech 14 1002 6175 6.16 63 441.07
36 Cincinnati 13 863 5723 6.63 53 440.23
37 Miami (FL) 12 818 5282 6.46 45 440.17
38 Western Mich. 12 915 5271 5.76 46 439.25
39 Army 12 921 5235 5.68 36 436.25
40 Texas 13 891 5650 6.34 62 434.62
41 Southern California 13 853 5628 6.60 56 432.92
42 La.-Monroe 13 989 5626 5.69 61 432.77
43 Oregon St. 13 946 5609 5.93 54 431.46
44 Rice 13 1026 5556 5.42 50 427.38
45 Akron 12 948 5126 5.41 41 427.17
46 Ole Miss 13 962 5509 5.73 51 423.77
47 Ohio St. 12 837 5085 6.08 60 423.75
48 North Carolina St. 13 1040 5475 5.26 47 421.15
49 Arkansas 12 826 5042 6.10 35 420.17
50 UAB 12 895 5029 5.62 43 419.08
And not a single SEC offense in the top 10

May 4, 2013, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Since we've defended our position with statistics... ]

but remember we were playing w/o 4 def. starters in this game. nevertheless we totally underachieved in rushing defense last seson. The good news is we are replacing most of them in 2013. And just like clemson is replacing all that production on offense which many here are claiming "won't miss a beat" we too are hoping our defense replacements will be better. Hard to believe i know but our 2013 front seven will be faster and quicker. Ng's Jenkins and Geathers weren't speed demons.

Did you really lose players accounting for 70% of your TKLs?***

May 4, 2013, 2:22 PM

I don't recall ever playing "SEC University" before***

May 2, 2013, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: So, 95 % red zone scoring isn't effective?*** ]

May 2, 2013, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: So, 95 % red zone scoring isn't effective?*** ]

my mistake. i should have said versus the SEC.

May 2, 2013, 12:08 PM

are you avoiding that scoring thingy versus the SEC? no comment?

I'll bite. I guess because supposedly SEC D's are tougher.

May 2, 2013, 12:19 PM

Our ACC offense beat 2 out of 3 that we played.

Funny thing about it is... we're not playing the SEC's Defense in August, we're playing UGA's... and a gutted one at that.

Sorry: took a minute to compile facts, not opinions...

May 2, 2013, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: So, 95 % red zone scoring isn't effective?*** ]

In Clemson's last 3 games against SEC opponents, our Red Zone offense converted on 100 percent of its opportunities.

LSU 5 of 5

UCS 2 of 2

Auburn 5 of 5

Not sure how that helps your "Gimmicky dink and dunk" argument, but there ya go.

Re: Sorry: took a minute to compile facts, not opinions...

May 2, 2013, 12:48 PM

great....i'm owned. you win. get back to me when your high scoring offense does so versus the SEC.

You asked...I answered.

May 2, 2013, 1:08 PM

You asked how our Red Zone offense fared against those mighty SEC defenses.

I replied that our Red Zone offense scored 100 percent of the time against those mighty SEC defenses.

My apologies if you don't like the facts you asked for.

Again...when do we play this "SEC College?"

May 2, 2013, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Sorry: took a minute to compile facts, not opinions... ]

I don't see them on the schedule

37 X 7 = 259/14 games => 19 Pts./ game. Wrong.***

May 2, 2013, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: So, 95 % red zone scoring isn't effective?*** ]

Would #1 in the country work? Link:

May 2, 2013, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: I think what 78 is saying to you is ]

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category27/sort01.html

Wow superdawg51 just got toasted***

May 2, 2013, 11:30 AM

I think both teams will struggle like they did in big

May 2, 2013, 10:06 AM

battles back in the 1980's. That was the thing about those Clemson-UGA games from that era they went back and forth and turned on big plays and turnovers.

1977-1991 (minus 1988 and 1989 -Clemson split with FSU in those years ahd UGA beat TCU and Baylor in those years)

6 Clemson wins (1977, 1979, 1981, 1986, 1987, 1990)

6 UGA wins (1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1991)

1 tie (1983)

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2013, 10:08 AM

You bring up great points. I doubt y'all should even be concerned with our offense or our whole team for that matter. We probably don't have quality players like y'all do, and ours have to spend so much time studying and going to church, I doubt they will even show up for most of the games. If I were MR and the rest of the team and coaches I would just plan on coasting the first game in wait of a real opponent the following week. After all, we are in the lowly ACC, and y'all are in the mighty SEC. I doubt we really have a chance. Please!

I think the thing offensively that you are overlooking is

May 2, 2013, 10:18 AM

when you run 90 plays a game, the skill players swap out almost every play or every other play while the linemen stay on the field. No doubt TE will be a question, but the rest of the line is solid. The depth you speak of is there and all the talk about the starting left tackle is to get more out of the guys by encouraging competition.

We play fast and the skill guys get on and off the field fast and often. We did lose our #1 receiver, but he will be replaced by Sammy. RB was by committee last year as well, but we did lose our best. Hot Rod showed flashes last year and we expect him to be just fine with DJ having 2 entire years and now Brooks with a full season as backups. If a frshman shows up and impresses then he will get time too.

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

If I were an UGA fan I would say the same thing to make

May 2, 2013, 10:20 AM

myself feel better. I used to think that way about Clemson's opponents when we were in a rebuilding situation, but it never worked. I'm glad you put so much thought in your post and not the usual name calling and belittlement of legit players.

Re: If I were an UGA fan I would say the same thing to make

May 2, 2013, 10:24 AM

Plain and simple it comes down to the o line. If you give Boyd time he's going to burn you. But as has been seen in the past couple years, the o line has been the weakness of the offense. No idea who UGA's pass rushers are though since Jarvis Jones is gone.

Young oline last year has a year of XP under their belt

May 2, 2013, 10:26 AM

minus Dalton, but ryan norton looked great backing up last year when dalton was injured.

May 2, 2013, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Re: If I were an UGA fan I would say the same thing to make ]

Good points. Boyd is the key. Our front seven all have PT and as whole we expect them to be faster this season. Hopefully that translates into some Qb pressure. Jordan Jenkins will assume Jarvis Jones' role. We are blessed with some hosses at Lber. Young at 3 of 4 secondary positions but every talented. I fully expect Boyd to have a big day passing.

May 2, 2013, 11:04 AM

He will hurt us by sucking up the young talent in the secondary with his legs ... then going over their heads. That will happen ...

I love to hate an opening game like this one ...

LOL you're getting better at this... keep it up.

May 2, 2013, 10:22 AM

Maybe sometime soon, you'll post accurate information.

May 2, 2013, 10:26 AM

The fact of the matter is, we have lost a couple key players on offense, but regardless of that, we have the best receiving corp in the country. Our offense has way more experience than UGA's defense. Every weapon we have on O has a big play potential every time it touches their hands.

Couple that with a blistering HUNH offense and you've got confusion and a defense falling down every snap in the 4th quarter with cramps....

May 2, 2013, 11:02 AM

I watched that 4th qter recently. Most of the players that went down were too injury and a stomach virus . There might have been one leg cramp.....lol! We practice in the heat in Athens not some indoor practice facility. This is our 3rd season under our newly established strength and conditioning program. The results have been amazing so far.

I guess we'll see. You're about to face the ultimate test***

May 2, 2013, 11:03 AM

A "stomach virus"? That was dehydration and too much steak.***

May 2, 2013, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: If Ga's defense will struggle why won't Cu's offense? ]

^ No way dude. He totally caught a stomach virus during

May 2, 2013, 11:06 AM

the last drive of the game.

smh.

Re: ^ No way dude. He totally caught a stomach virus during

May 2, 2013, 11:20 AM

nice spin. Mingo was sick. watch the 4th qter. the tv crew stated so.

Ed Cunninglingusham is a wealth of knowledge.***

May 2, 2013, 11:26 AM

May 2, 2013, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Re: ^ No way dude. He totally caught a stomach virus during ]

And what does everyone else say?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130101/clemson-beats-lsu-chickfila-bowl/

"LSU defenders, gassed from playing so many downs, had their chance to stop Clemson, but Boyd converted that fourth down. During Clemson's drive, several LSU players pulled up lame with cramps. Clemson fans booed, assuming the LSU defenders were trying to buy time for their teammates to catch their breath. Miles chafed at that notion. In truth, LSU defenders lost their legs because their offense couldn't stay on the field and Clemson's could. "There was no advantage to LSU to lay down on the ground there," Miles said. "

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=323660228

"After Hopkins' second TD catch, LSU got the ball with 2:43 remaining and threw three straight passes. Only one was complete in the three-and-out series that took only about 1 minute off the clock, leaving Clemson with enough time for its winning drive against LSU's exhausted defense. Hill did not have a carry in the fourth quarter.

"We had to throw the football," Miles said.

"We were not running the football. They were in a position where they outnumbered us in the run."
"

11-on-11 outnumbered. Maybe Mettenburger blocks?***

May 2, 2013, 12:04 PM

May 2, 2013, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Re: ^ No way dude. He totally caught a stomach virus during ]

lsu's passing game was pathetic.

RED HERRINGS. THEY'RE EVERYWHERE... THE HORROR***

May 2, 2013, 12:35 PM

So you're saying the SEC thing is a myth? How did they win

May 2, 2013, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Re: ^ No way dude. He totally caught a stomach virus during ]

so many conference games? Was it their D that had 8 draftees or their D thathad 8 flops in the 4th quarter? All we heard was how they were going to roll us up with their vaunted rushing attack. Must have been because that's what they did to most of the SEC. You WILL understand about our "Too Deep" front 7 by the end of the game. There are DB questions yet to be answered, but I expect that to be resolved in the fall. If LSU's passing game was so bad, why didn't all those SEC teams exploit it? I'll listen.

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

Re: So you're saying the SEC thing is a myth? How did they win

May 2, 2013, 12:56 PM

just look at the numbers. Lsu's passing game was terrible. 200 ypg average. 7.3 ypc.

Lost to Gators away by 8 and Bama home by 4. Won the rest

May 2, 2013, 1:01 PM

of their SEC games. Must not have mattered in the SEC.

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

8 stoppages of play in the 4th qtr.

May 2, 2013, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Re: If Ga's defense will struggle why won't Cu's offense? ]

I was there. They weren't injured...they were gassed.

A few reasons come immediately to mind:

May 2, 2013, 10:27 AM

First is that Clemson's offense will be playing against JawJaw's depleted defense. While you are correct that Clemson will be replacing starters at skill positions, our contention is that our replacements will be far more adept at the task in Game 1 that the replacements y'all must come up with.

Second, and just as important: the offensive skill replacements for Clemson are all seasoned players, with the exception of TE. Do not let their downtick in numbers give you a sense of relief. If anything it should frighten you that the Tigers have such skill that was limited only because of position, not talent.

Look at it this way: Sammy, who you seem to have overlooked in your punditry, is coming in with about 2,000 yards receiving and running ... and now he's being placed in the boundary spot, which gives him even more opportunity to use his speed. Humphries, a solid, sure-handed receiver with better speed that the guy he's replacing, is moving up to an even more promising position, and Peake and Bryant are getting more reps ... making them more dangerous. And we haven't even touched on players like Hopper, Williams and Jenkins.

JawJaw has a more impressive stable at RB, there's no arguing that. Consider Clemson's RB position about where y'all were at the start of last year, with Dye and Gallman filling the admirable spots your freshmen did last fall. I'm guessing you didn't see Brooks in the spring game, either ... your notion that Ellington is gone so Clemson's running game will stink is very short-sighted.

TE will see an uptick in receiving, thanks to Seckinger and Leggett, though both are lighter for blocking purposes ... which might augment your thoughts on our running game.

The Oline boasts more experience than we've had in a few years, and our projected starting center has seen nearly 300 snaps.

So, yes, it is reasonable to think that Clemson is better able to replace its losses on offense than JawJaw can on defense. But if it helps you sleep into August, feel free to think otherwise.

Not to mention the pace at which the offense will operate

May 2, 2013, 10:42 AM

If Clemson is able to run 90 plus plays, just like the LSU defenders, the UGa defense will be doubled-over gasping for wind in the 4th quarter.

UGa cannot simulate the pace at which the Clemson offense will move and according to Coach Morris, he wants the offense to move at an even faster pace this season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

May 2, 2013, 10:32 AM

> After all Cu must replace key skilled position
> players. Rb, Wr, Wr, Te, and center. Now while all
> projected starters (sans the Te) have some PT
> experience each of these players were not listed as
> 1st stringers in 2012.
>
> The most experienced is Wr Humphries with 41
> receptions for 480 yards and 1 td. Followed by Peake
> with 25 catches for 172 and 2 tds. What's surprising
> about these numbers is that both averaged less than 7
> yards per catch. Products of 5 yard down and outs and
> passing horizontally down the line of scrimmage i
> assume. Little quick hitters mind you. Wr/Te
> Seckinger also managed 4 recepts for 35 yards and 1
> td.
So much fail in the above. Sammy Watkins will demand double coverage and his backup, Martavius Bryant is a 6'5" deep ball threat as the fastest player on the team who has finally brought all in. Ugay will be force to play prevent defense by the second half and those short passes to Humphries, Peake and Hopper will turn into sizable gains. In the mean time Leggett and Seckinger will be wide open down the seams with leghumping line backers upable to keep up.

>
> The projected starters at Rb will be in order of
> their respectives yards last season McDowell
> (450/5tds), Howard(138/2tds) and Brooks (119/0tds).
> Freshmen Dye and Gallman may steal some carries here
> but as it stands right now there's no Andre Ellington
> talent back there.

>
> Your Te position is now a huge question mark with the
> injury to Cooper the projected starter. While
> Seckinger and true freshman Leggett will see much of
> the playing time neither have the size of a true Te
> so there could be blocking issues.
>
> And finally Morris is replacing his best Olinman at
> center in Dalton Freeman who i expect played 99% of
> the snaps last season.... so whoever replaces him
> will not carry Freeman's clout. In addition, isn't
> the coaching staff still looking for a starting
> offensive tackle? Your oline depth seems "We not too
> Deep!"
>

This is so wrong that it is laughable. The best offensive lineman, Thomas is back who was the ACC Left Tackle and can play every position on the line except center. Dalton Freeman was a smart player but was overmanned many times last season by much stronger bigger players. Norton Ryan has more physical tools and played a lot of snaps on the line at guard and center but is being pushed by a bigger player. No worries at center. All the other starters are returning but are being pushed by talented backups which could lead to a reshuffling of the line if Battle who held his own against LSU can become more consistent at LT.

> Now teams replace players every year and sometimes
> those replacements prove to be just as or more
> productive than the previous players......but
> generally that takes time. So just bear in mind while
> yes, Ga's defense is expected to suffer from growing
> pains early there is every reason to indicate that
> Clemson's offense will experience those same growing
> pains....more especially in the season's 1st game.

You have chosen to argue that the two strongest positions(not counting QB) on Clemson's offense will have growing pains against a young defense. Really hope that the ugay players feel the same way.

Here's why we won't struggle

May 2, 2013, 10:38 AM

1) Our most experienced receiver is Sammy Watkins, not Humphries. If you don't know him now, you will by the end of the game. Replacing Nuk is a tough task, but Sammy has all the talent to be our go to guy, like he was in 2011.
2) Rod McDowell's stats are a bit misleading. Obviously, Ellington was our workhorse for the running game, but Rod looked very solid when he was in the game. Howard and Brooks have shown promise, and should provide a good change of pace. Rod's numbers look similar to Ellington's in '09 when him and Harper were backing up Spiller, so I expect Rod to have a good year.
3) Cooper's injury hurts, but I wasn't sold as him being the starter. Leggett will be a solid passing target from TE, and I imagine we have a package or someone who can line up in the TE position to compensate for missing Cooper's blocking and size
4) Not uncommon to have position battles in the spring. I think we'll get the OT situation fixed during fall camp.

Re: Here's why we won't struggle

May 2, 2013, 11:45 AM

We know a bout sammy. didn't he regress last year? we've been watching the game film from the Cu vs. Usc games. swan will handle watkins and your offense will struggle.

Who's Swann.***

May 2, 2013, 11:50 AM

The anointed saviour who's covering Sammy 1-on-1. Yep.***

May 2, 2013, 12:01 PM

Never heard of him. Lol***

May 2, 2013, 12:02 PM

Re: The anointed saviour who's covering Sammy 1-on-1. Yep.***

May 2, 2013, 12:04 PM [ in reply to The anointed saviour who's covering Sammy 1-on-1. Yep.*** ]

i am not denying his talent but which sammy is going to hit the field this year? we see wr's like him every weekend in the SEC. no question he took steps backwards last year but he's turning pro after this season so i expect him to play well.

And which WRs would that be? Isn't the SEC known more

May 2, 2013, 12:07 PM

for defense?

The SEC hasn't seen a WR like Sammy in at least 2 years.

May 2, 2013, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Re: The anointed saviour who's covering Sammy 1-on-1. Yep.*** ]

Don't believe me. Research what the Pro scouts have said.

AHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA***

May 2, 2013, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Re: The anointed saviour who's covering Sammy 1-on-1. Yep.*** ]

Re: The anointed saviour who's covering Sammy 1-on-1. Yep.***

May 2, 2013, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Re: The anointed saviour who's covering Sammy 1-on-1. Yep.*** ]

Which one UF's WR can you say is like Sammy? How about SCAR? How about Vandy? How about Ole Miss? How about Kentucky? What about UT? Auburn? Missouri? Bama?

Don't worry ill wait

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Lol, Katt Williams? Is that you?

May 2, 2013, 2:06 PM

This superdawg guy is starting to get on my nerves...

He made some semi-valid reasons for our offense to be a little concerned but there is just as much promise in our offense as well.

Then, when we speak of such promise, the dude starts beating the SEC drum...so sick of hearing it...it's literally all the SEC has to cling to...that is, the coattails of Bama...

Really, recievers like Watkins every week in the ACC...

May 2, 2013, 6:16 PM [ in reply to Re: The anointed saviour who's covering Sammy 1-on-1. Yep.*** ]

Well, Sammy is gonna be a first round draft pick next year, being thrown the ball from another first round draft pick. How many SEC WR/QB tandems went in the first round this year?............Crickets, thats what I thought!

*SEC****

May 2, 2013, 6:17 PM

Re: Who's Swann.***

May 2, 2013, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Who's Swann.*** ]

Toasted!

Roasted?***

May 2, 2013, 12:17 PM

I think in this situation, Swann got burned

May 2, 2013, 12:20 PM

amirite?

Dude get the #### outta here

May 2, 2013, 10:46 AM

This is a CLEMSON board. Don't be surprised when people disagree with you. You really expect Tigernet to come to a consensus that our own team will struggle with anything?

If you wanna talk UGA, go back to your own board! Go on boy....go home.....go home now.....stupid mutt.....

I'm more concerned about the kick coverage, TOs, & DBs.***

May 2, 2013, 11:08 AM

I just hope that UGa coaches think like you do...***

May 2, 2013, 11:09 AM

The fact of the matter is, comparing your huge losses on

May 2, 2013, 12:39 PM

defense to our losses on offense is poorly grounded from the get-go. You're reaching. It's not even close.

I expect our offense to have a little bit of rust come

May 2, 2013, 12:52 PM

September 1. Reason being, Tajh and Nuk were nearly always on the same page. They had ridiculous chemistry. I guess Tajh knew Nuk's tendencies and Nuk could simply just go up and get the ball if Tajh was a little off.

I just hope that Humphries, Bryant and Peake can build a strong chemistry with Tajh over the Summer.

Nothing need be said of Sammy. He will get his TDs...

Hot Rod is a more than capable bake...probably one of the most underrated weapons returning...and I fine with that. I hope UGA sees our RBs as no threat...that'll be their undoing...

May 2, 2013, 12:53 PM

Good lord does UGA not have its on site?

You guys are worse than USC posters trying to seek approval.

null

Approval? How about free education?***

May 2, 2013, 12:54 PM

Last Time I checked 7 yards per keeps the chains moving....***

May 2, 2013, 1:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

wow, ugay makes no sense.

May 2, 2013, 2:15 PM

Did you forget Sammy Watkins?

All of our Oline returning? Ryan Norton replaces Freeman and he played last year and is nasty.

All of our receivers have played since they were freshman.

And Hot Rod is a beast.

Oh, and get off our board you ######.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. You are ignorant.***

May 2, 2013, 4:06 PM

He won't be in a few months. :)***

May 2, 2013, 4:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We get better at every position except center.

May 2, 2013, 4:07 PM

We gonna miss that guy but we redshirted the #1 center in the country last year. He's second in line to start this year. You tell me?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

EPIC thread was EPIC....

May 3, 2013, 7:02 AM

Come on back Super.

Just don't come doused in gas holding a cigarette next time.

Looking forward to the game in August - Go TIGERS!

Re: EPIC thread was EPIC....

May 4, 2013, 2:27 PM

the cusp of my OP was that clemson's offensive replacements would possibly struggle as much as our defensive replacements. isn't that in the realm of possibility? no mention the returning starters....i considered them a given to perform well. Boyd/watkins.

And you were wildly, wildly stretching it.***

May 4, 2013, 2:41 PM

like I said dawg, i hope UGa coaches think like you do LOL***

May 3, 2013, 8:23 AM

Replies: 128
| visibility 101
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic