Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If GaTech leaves the ACC then
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

If GaTech leaves the ACC then

Nov 30, 2012, 12:07 PM

Clemson and FSU will bolt. If this happens UGA will not be in the pact with UF and SCAR to block our entrance to the SEC. Also my friend that works in the SEC office told me that SCAR was throwing a huge fit about the possibility of Clemson and SCAR coming into the ACC. The SEC reminded SCAR that they could get "voted" out. Now my friend said it was not a threat just a point to be made. I would have loved to been in that meeting room when that was said. If GaTech leaves rest assure that Clemson and FSU will follow suit. Hopefully it will be to the SEC and not the Big 12. I personally would hate going to the Big 12, but i also don't pretend to know whats best. I think the only hope of saving the ACC is if ND joins fully.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they should kick out scar and add cu, fsu, vpi***

Nov 30, 2012, 12:11 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If GaTech leaves the ACC then

Nov 30, 2012, 12:11 PM

Again

There is no economic advantage in either Clemson or FSU for the SEC. They want cable and dish households and the members they have already provide them.

To add members who will not move the revenue up by at least as much as they draw as their share (with the SEC network maybe 40-50 million) would be foolish, and the folks in the SEC office don't make many 100 million dollar mistakes.

Now, as a replacement for USC or Florida.... that may work, if you can get the SEC to boot one or the other, but that would be the only way.

I still contend that future tv revenues might not be based

Nov 30, 2012, 12:15 PM

on markets or regions. Sat tv will be going to an a-la-cart style programming where each household can pick and choose the the channels they watch. If that happens then the SEC will want a strong "brand" more than new markets .. imo

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I still contend that future tv revenues might not be based

Nov 30, 2012, 12:18 PM

A good thought, however as long as cable provide the vast majority of households their TV and as long as they bundle and select the products they carry, then household count will rule the math.

Nov 30, 2012, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Re: If GaTech leaves the ACC then ]

ogerface,

I will tell you that last year Clemson and FSU were the number 15 and 16 teams that the SEC was going to invite, but they eventually decided to stop at 14 teams for now and wait. Clemson and FSU are their top two choices for the next teams. I know this because I have a friend that works for Slive and sits in on all these meetings they have. It's not all about the "footprint" and "market" like you believe. The SEC already has a national market and would love to add more reagional teams. I'm just telling you what I have been told.

The SEC television brand/market is so powerful that I can

Nov 30, 2012, 12:25 PM

kind of see why adding other cities wouldn't make a lot of difference one way or the other. I do think that adding Missouri was smart from a market standpoint, but it's hard for me to believe the SEC really cares that much about picking up the North Carolina market, but I suppose they might want it.

Nov 30, 2012, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Re: If GaTech leaves the ACC then ]

The big 5 conferences have now added a combined 12 teams over the past few years. The only one of those 12 teams that joined a conference already in their footprint was TCU (used to replace TAMU).

The economic advantage might be to keep Fox/Big XII

Nov 30, 2012, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Re: If GaTech leaves the ACC then ]

out of the area...should CU & FSU go to the Big XII and pull a few other schools with them viewership of ESecPN in their backyard would suffer...personally don't think the SEC offers us for the reasons you state. Looks like it is either ACC or Big XII for CU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So what you are saying is the folks that watch SEC games...

Nov 30, 2012, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Re: If GaTech leaves the ACC then ]

also already watch Clemson and FSU games. If that is your premise, then your statement makes sense. Because I am assuming you understand that advertising dollars are not based upon how many people live in the media market, but how many people who live in the media market are watching the programming. This is called a rating share.

I believe the addition of Clemson and FSU would move the needle on rating share in the SEC, not only in the Southeast but in other areas of the country outside of the SEC footprint.

Clemson is a team that folks like to watch because of their uptempo offense. It is simply more fun for the casual fan to watch than a defensive slugfest. I understand some on this board prefer a defensive game, but the average fan, especially the younger ones, like action.

Anyway, you may be right, but there is another side to your post.

I think ND joining has passed, too much panic already***

Nov 30, 2012, 12:12 PM

Re: I think ND joining has passed, too much panic already***

Nov 30, 2012, 12:18 PM

ND is going to title game. And will do so in the 4 team playoff. They don't need the ACC. Used Swoffie like a little b!tch.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think if ANY team leaves now with all that has happened

Nov 30, 2012, 12:23 PM

then everything will accelerate.

GT bolts and all bets are off.

Nov 30, 2012, 12:27 PM

> Clemson and FSU will bolt. If this happens UGA will
> not be in the pact with UF and SCAR to block our
> entrance to the SEC. Also my friend that works in the
> SEC office told me that SCAR was throwing a huge fit
> about the possibility of Clemson and SCAR coming into
> the ACC. The SEC reminded SCAR that they could get
> "voted" out. Now my friend said it was not a threat
> just a point to be made. I would have loved to been
> in that meeting room when that was said. If GaTech
> leaves rest assure that Clemson and FSU will follow
> suit. Hopefully it will be to the SEC and not the Big
> 12. I personally would hate going to the Big 12, but
> i also don't pretend to know whats best. I think the
> only hope of saving the ACC is if ND joins fully.

My cousin twice removed has a friend who's uncle said that you were lying and he's friends with Slive.

Nov 30, 2012, 12:31 PM

You don't have to believe me but if you would like to visit me in a couple of weeks I will let my friend show you their credentials and speak with cootish self. Don't be mad because Slive made a point about be able to vote ya'lls sorry arses out.

Nov 30, 2012, 12:30 PM

I still hope if the ACC gets picked apart that GT can join Clemson and FSU in the Big 12. It seems like the B1G conference would want UVA and UNC, not GT, but maybe UVA and UNC can't leave the ACC as long as VT and NC State are in it?

Re: Re: If GaTech leaves the ACC then

Nov 30, 2012, 1:10 PM

Vatech and Miami were both in the footprint of the ACC when added. And Nebraska wasn't far off

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic