Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Francois can't go for any length of time...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

If Francois can't go for any length of time...

Sep 3, 2017, 4:02 PM

...his replacement there at FSU is a true frosh called James Blackman out of Belle Glades, FL.

I'm raising my eyebrows over that for a few reasons. Jimbo's got an extremely QB-unfriendly system there at FSU; it's a complex (some would say overly complex since nobody except Jameis Winston, who was - believe it or not - a Straight-A student who once got himself accepted to Stanford, could ever really successfully grasp it) system and it normally takes guys a redshirt year just to be able to run it. Jimbo always redshirts his true frosh QB's; this time he can't.

The other thing is Blackman was listed at 6'4", 160 coming out of high school. FSU's official depth chart lists him at 185, which is maybe true if he's got a lead ingot stashed in his jock. Dude is skinny, whatever.

Also, the kid came out of Glades Central. That program has always survived because Belle Glades, FL, produces a mutant strain of athlete that has produced something like 100 gazillion former NFL players - it's literally the biggest statistical anomaly in the USA in football - but the coaching there at Glades Central is terrible. You can see from his film it's a three-step-drop-and-shoot; the kid just has not been tutored in anything complex.

He obviously has a great arm, and while not a dual-threat per se, the kid is athletic and can certainly elude some pressure. But you look at the kid and think he's an even rawer, slower version of Zerrick Cooper, a kid with definite potential...who would really be good in 2-3 years.

Well, regardless, they're throwing him in, mostly because JJ Cosentino, the only other non-freshman QB on the roster, is absolutely terrible. And Jimbo's going to have to pare his huge offense way down for Blackman. You would think way more than he even had to do for Gholson when he transferred from Notre Dame.

That seriously puts a crimp on FSU's season, whatever. And if something happens to this kid - which seems entirely possible, as bad as FSU's offensive line is and as skinny as this kid is - they go from having a "serious crimp" to All-Out Catastrophe.

Definitely one to keep your eye on.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Francois can't go for any length of time...

Sep 3, 2017, 4:11 PM

Jimbo really is a good coach though. He isn't one of those stubborn coaches who refuses to adapt to his players in his system (Bill O'Brien is the best example of this, don't get me started on him.)

If he has to dumb the system down for a true frosh and run a very simple offense then so be it. I would expect them to still be reasonably successful, but if Francois misses significant time I don't see how they possibly make it through the ACC unscathed.

A couple of things...

Sep 3, 2017, 4:14 PM

1 - FSU recruits extremely well so whoever they put under center will be surrounded by a wealth of talent.

2 - I'm not sure they'll just hand the keys to Blackmon. If the decision was made by seniority, it would be redshirt junior J.J. Cosentino. However, all of those who watched the Peach Bowl at the end of the 2015 season would probably rather not see him touch the field in a meaningful game during the rest of his time with the Noles.

If that's the case, that leaves the backup spot being between one of two other people - a redshirt freshman transfer in Jake Rizzo or another true freshmen Bailey Hockman.

Ultimately, none of these are particularly appealing options for FSU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: A couple of things...

Sep 3, 2017, 4:20 PM

You are correct in pointing out that just because he came in after Francois doesn't mean that he is the heir apparent if Francois misses games. I'm curious if him and Cosentino would split snaps for a while until one emerged.

I hope Francois doesn't miss games, he's a great player with a bright future and I have so much respect for him as a competitor. He has Brett Favre-type toughness and bounces back from every hit. But if he does miss significant time, by the time Clemson plays FSU that new QB will have almost a full season of starting under their belts, so it isn't like we will be playing a guy who was thrust into the job on short notice.

he is done this year at least***

Sep 3, 2017, 4:35 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I suspect that's what we'll see happen...

Sep 3, 2017, 4:36 PM [ in reply to Re: A couple of things... ]

If Francois can't go, the two will split snaps, at least in practice and possibly in games, until one emerges.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

they're done this year***

Sep 3, 2017, 4:33 PM

Re: they're done this year***

Sep 3, 2017, 4:48 PM

lol it's not wise to rule out a team after one game. It's a long season

They don't have a QB, they will not go to the Playoffs, they

Sep 3, 2017, 4:57 PM

will not win the ACC, they will not win the Atlantic...They WILL beat Florida...Feel free to bookmark this post, history will be kind to me

you've lost your mind when you start saying one of the

Sep 3, 2017, 5:07 PM

best offensive and QB coaches in the nation has an "unfriendly" system

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should he defer to your expertise in the field of saying

Sep 3, 2017, 5:15 PM

insane things on a message board?

Re: Should he defer to your expertise in the field of saying

Sep 3, 2017, 5:25 PM

> insane things on a message board?

Sorry. Snowtown is a pure troll awaiting his Final PermaBan and mostly I just ignore him, but in this case he's right. What I should have said was "new QB-unfriendly".

It's a heap big load of stuff a QB has to absorb, which is why Jimbo even redshirted Winston and also why he redshirted Francois, and then Malik Henry...who lost his patience with Jimbo's drawn-out process and transferred.

By choice Jimbo never would have played a true frosh...but Malik Henry's departure kinda left Jimbo with no choice here.

so you think pointing out the idiocy in your posts is

Sep 3, 2017, 5:44 PM

trolling?

You post these long diatribes that are your opinion, but you try to pass off as fact. I love tnet... but I have little patience for those that try to sound like they know what they are talking about, but really have no idea.

Someone has to point it out... b/c... well, it's tnet

You have little patience for those that try to sound like

Sep 3, 2017, 6:25 PM

they know what they are talking about, but really have no idea? Did YOU really say that? After your insider knowledge fiasco? Can somebody die of irony? Asking for you.

Okay, so discussion and debate is what tnet is about...

Sep 3, 2017, 7:34 PM [ in reply to so you think pointing out the idiocy in your posts is ]

...appx 95% of the time, tho' yours truly doesn't particularly care for the sniping, name calling, etc.

However (fwiw), when quozzel speaks, Uncle Bill listens.

(and ditto for Joe21 ??)

GO TIGERS!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: so you think pointing out the idiocy in your posts is

Sep 3, 2017, 7:37 PM [ in reply to so you think pointing out the idiocy in your posts is ]

> trolling?
>
> You post these long diatribes that are your opinion,
> but you try to pass off as fact. I love tnet... but
> I have little patience for those that try to sound
> like they know what they are talking about, but
> really have no idea.
>
> Someone has to point it out... b/c... well, it's tnet

You want to find the biggest idiot in the room, I've found - and this is just my opinion - you invariably find the person with the complete lack of civility, the person who can't disagree with someone without getting personal.

We don't all have to agree - in fact I've found factual disagreements usually pretty constructive - but anyone who can't control their contempt for the whole stupid world is pretty much just reflecting their own self-loathing. Since extreme self-loathing tends to be, well, terminal, what happens is, people tend to go the other way and just externalize that bile and point it at others since they don't know what else to do with it.

In other words, a troll. It's also the root of what's called Narcissistic Personality Disorder. (This is not an opinion, go check the MMPI-2 (basically the "crazy" manual of disorders) to see the clinical science there.)

Sneering incessantly at everyone does not make you smart. In fact it demonstrates pretty conclusively the opposite.

You wanna disagree with me, disagree. I'll always listen, and I definitely know I'm not always right. But trolling just makes me...tired. I just kinda cruise on by and don't really even see it anymore.

Again, this is just an opinion. But again I kinda thought the whole point of message boards was to, you know, talk about stuff? You know, like football on a football forum.

you need to back away and not take things so personal.. it's

Sep 3, 2017, 7:49 PM

not about disagreeing... I don't disagree with you. Frankly, I don't care. I never see you post "I think", or, "I believe"... It's always, "this WILL happen, etc..."

Remember the "our offense WILL be clunky" post?

I know the game enough to know when someone constantly posts stuff in an attempt to get points. You think I care about points? Haha. But I think it's pretty bad when someone does this.

You bank on people not knowing football when you post your "analysis", and thus they give you points. It's ok. No problem.... but don't get mad when someone calls you on it.

Re: you need to back away and not take things so personal.. it's

Sep 3, 2017, 8:03 PM

> not about disagreeing... I don't disagree with you.
> Frankly, I don't care. I never see you post "I
> I think", or, "I believe"... It's always, "this WILL
> happen, etc..."
>
> Remember the "our offense WILL be clunky" post?
>
> I know the game enough to know when someone
> constantly posts stuff in an attempt to get points.
> You think I care about points? Haha. But I think
> k it's pretty bad when someone does this.
>
> You bank on people not knowing football when you post
> your "analysis", and thus they give you points.
> It's ok. No problem.... but don't get mad when
> en someone calls you on it.

And there he is. I always forget...never feed the troll.

Apologies for trying to talk sense into you.

Peace.

so let's look at that for a sec...

Sep 3, 2017, 8:10 PM

you wanted debate.... so when i respond to you, all you got is "there is the troll". Really?

I'd absolutely love to have a football debate with you. I'll even let you choose the topic... offense, defense, specialties. We can talk systems, tendencies etc... But i'm not interested in making things up, or copying and pasting from other websites, etc...

Interesting how insistent you are about me trolling and being permabanned.... yet I choose to donate to this site and you do not.

Sep 3, 2017, 5:36 PM

Quozeel --- I don't want to come across as an English teacher ('cause I ain't) but the correct name for the city is Belle Glade (there is no s). I lived there many years ago before moving to heaven on earth, and that would be CLEMSON !!! The school is Glades Central.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2017, 8:01 PM

I have a lot of respect for François as a player and for Jimbo as a coach. However, watching them for the past year , I was amazed at their lack of adaptation to the game around them. François took vicious hits game after game after game. At times he held onto the ball too long, but more commonly they just didn't seem to have a playbook capable of getting the ball into the hands of their play makers in three seconds or less. FSU is filled with athletes but I don't think they were going to beat Alabama or Clemson or get into the playoffs while playing the way he was or Jimbo calling plays the way he was. It may be a blessing in disguise's for Florida State. They may stop complaining about their offensive line. They may adapt with the young quarterback and be quite formidable by the time November 11 comes around.

Sep 3, 2017, 8:12 PM

> I have a lot of respect for François as a player and
> for Jimbo as a coach. However, watching them for the
> past year , I was amazed at their lack of adaptation
> to the game around them. François took vicious hits
> game after game after game. At times he held onto the
> ball too long, but more commonly they just didn't
> seem to have a playbook capable of getting the ball
> into the hands of their play makers in three seconds
> or less. FSU is filled with athletes but I don't
> think they were going to beat Alabama or Clemson or
> get into the playoffs while playing the way he was or
> Jimbo calling plays the way he was. It may be a
> blessing in disguise's for Florida State. They may
> stop complaining about their offensive line. They
> may adapt with the young quarterback and be quite
> formidable by the time November 11 comes around.

My guess - cough, opinion - is that Jimbo is very, very proud of his offensive acumen and feels the need to be described as a "genius".

Dabo seems to have no such need. He's a pragmatic coach. He doesn't give a rip if anyone calls his system "college" and doesn't seem to care if people say he's a genius or not. We do run a college system; we have college players.

Jimbo, on the other hand, seems compelled to demonstrate his mastery of all things Offense like it's some sort of Dark Art. So he runs this extremely complex Pro-Style system with all these NFL checks and alignments and protections that make running it a nightmare for young guys. You almost have to be a Jameis Winston-level IQ to learn it in any length of time because most of the guys I've seen have really struggled with it.

It'll be interesting to see if he does adapt. If he just spreads the field and does make an attempt to get the ball into the hands of his playmakers like we do, they'll likely be effective, but I haven't seen him ditch his system (or pretensions) yet....

could you please link the article or interview that talks

Sep 3, 2017, 8:35 PM

about the complex, pro-style, with all the checks. Could you please link that for me? I'd love to read that article or interview.

I don't get your fascination with how bad (or stubborn) of a coach Jimbo is.

btw-- the redshirting of QBs is b/c they have the depth to do that. You referenced earlier about red-shirting Frenchy. They had Jameis and Sean M. that year... why not redshirt him?

Maybe he has insider sources, like this guy for instance

Sep 3, 2017, 9:03 PM

http://dudeofwv.blogspot.com/

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic