Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Conservatives would like to better understand Liberals
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 666

Jul 27, 2020, 11:52 AM

and what we believe about Trump and Fox News, please read this piece.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/27/how-fox-news-may-be-destroying-trumps-reelection-hopes/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WAPO opinion piece.... of course.***

Jul 27, 2020, 11:56 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WAPO opinion piece.... of course.***

Jul 27, 2020, 12:00 PM

Agreed, and you won't like it. But it does explain why Libs and Conservs are soooo far apart in their views. Read it, give me a piece you think I should read and I will.

Go read three years of their RussiaRussiaRussia articles,

Jul 27, 2020, 1:29 PM

then remember theyre all lies. Then try to figure out why they arent making the illegal spying on a campaign the biggest scandal in our history...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Jul 27, 2020, 12:29 PM

fixed it for you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Communist_Manifesto

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Germans.***

Jul 27, 2020, 4:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: If Conservatives would like to better understand Liberals

Jul 27, 2020, 12:31 PM

It's all rigged unless Trump wins.

Jul 27, 2020, 4:42 PM

The irony of this claim after years of “Russian Collusion” is quite humorous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 27, 2020, 6:25 PM [ in reply to Re: If Conservatives would like to better understand Liberals ]

https://youtu.be/bj63nhV3VuU

Jul 27, 2020, 12:48 PM

What new ground is broken with this article? That Fox News is right leaning and shades the news to favor Trump? Good thing that kind of stuff never happens on MSNBC, CNN, CBS, (you know, literally every other channel which carries "news"). The best thing Trump could do as far as Covid-19 is to stop talking about it and let experts take the lead. As for framing Biden as anti-law enforcement, where is Biden's condemnation of the ongoing violence? Outside of a quick, vague reference to "needless destruction," Biden comes right back to blaming Trump because people are burning buildings and stealing TVs. It won't be Covid-19 that determines this election. If it doesn't stop, it will be the ongoing crime overtaking cities.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2020, 1:15 PM

AFDAWG said:

What new ground is broken with this article? That Fox News is right leaning and shades the news to favor Trump? Good thing that kind of stuff never happens on MSNBC, CNN, CBS, (you know, literally every other channel which carries "news"). The best thing Trump could do as far as Covid-19 is to stop talking about it and let experts take the lead. As for framing Biden as anti-law enforcement, where is Biden's condemnation of the ongoing violence? Outside of a quick, vague reference to "needless destruction," Biden comes right back to blaming Trump because people are burning buildings and stealing TVs. It won't be Covid-19 that determines this election. If it doesn't stop, it will be the ongoing crime overtaking cities.

I have to agree with you. Part of the divide among our people is where do they consume news. Anyone who blames Trump for burning buildings is just wrong. He doesn't address it properly, but he didn't cause it.

One of the points in the article is that it is in Trump's best political interest to fully address the Virus. Shut down the virus and the economy springs back. But he hasn't done that largely because Fox News continually feeds him how great and wonderful leader he is and how he's successful in everything he does. So, Trump doesn't do what will get him re-elected because he thinks he's succeeding. Fox keeps telling him he's succeeding. But in fact, the virus is worse than it's ever been and Trumps reaction to the Pandemic while at 56% approval in march, he's now down to 36% approval and he's especially losing ground with <65 voters because they are the most vulnerable. That was a solid part of his base.

I only disagree with you on 1 point. There is no 'overwhelming' crime. Portland, sure. But where are the other burning cities? Atlanta lost a Wendys and they caught the woman who set the fire.

Fox News constantly re-running tapes of violence and Tucker Carlson preaching that the protesters are 'going to come for YOU", merely represents a shift in Trumps campaigning. He can't win on the virus so he's trying to win on "law and order". Which is sort of ironic since most of his inner circle from the campaign, were convicted of felonies since Trump cam to office.

Edit:
However, I do have to say I am misinformed about the protests. They have been spreading more than I'd thought. My error. However, if Trump wants to get reelected he needs to focus on the virus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/26/us/protests-portland-seattle-trump.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Message was edited by: Felix2®

Message was edited by: Felix2®

Jul 27, 2020, 1:31 PM

In Trump's defense, no one really seems to have a solution to the pandemic. It's easy to say "shut it down," but that comes with devastating economic consequences. As insensitive as it sounds, ultimately it comes down to individuals mitigating the risks at it applies to them. The government isn't going to stop this or protect everyone from it.

Maybe my description of crime as "overwhelming" wasn't the best choice of words. I'll try it like this, there seems to be persistent, fairly wide spread, over-the-top violence, which seems to be less about protestation and more about violence for violence sake. This is far more likely to negatively effect Biden than Trump.

Jul 27, 2020, 6:06 PM

AFDAWG said:

In Trump's defense, no one really seems to have a solution to the pandemic. It's easy to say "shut it down," but that comes with devastating economic consequences. As insensitive as it sounds, ultimately it comes down to individuals mitigating the risks at it applies to them. The government isn't going to stop this or protect everyone from it.

Maybe my description of crime as "overwhelming" wasn't the best choice of words. I'll try it like this, there seems to be persistent, fairly wide spread, over-the-top violence, which seems to be less about protestation and more about violence for violence sake. This is far more likely to negatively effect Biden than Trump.

I agree with you. However, I think it important to note that all of the violence and civil unrest is occurring under Trump's administration, not Bidens. I think the violence will have more effect on Trump because it's happening under his watch. I find it a difficult thing to see how it hurts Biden more than Trump. Trump's the President. Blaming Joe Biden for the violence under Trump's Presidency might be a stretch.

Jul 27, 2020, 6:16 PM

I don't blame Biden for the violence. But, I can assure you Trump and every Republican will exploit it every time Biden fails to call out the violence. Biden will seek the support of those who do advocate for defunding the police. Biden will seek and need the support of those who only casually speak out against rioters while they continually undermine police and authority. Hanging this around Biden's neck won't be that hard to do.

Jul 27, 2020, 6:20 PM [ in reply to Re: If Conservatives would like to better understand Liberals ]

He should push for masks and act like he takes the virus seriously.

Tucker Carlson preaching they’re coming for YOU.

Jul 27, 2020, 4:47 PM [ in reply to Re: If Conservatives would like to better understand Liberals ]

And he’s guilty of blackface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORvnlPdFEN4&feature=youtu.be

Was gonna read it, but it won't show me

Jul 27, 2020, 1:28 PM

the article w/o an account...

Re: Was gonna read it, but it won't show me

Jul 27, 2020, 6:01 PM

Here you go, copy and pasted without ads.

July 27, 2020 at 10:01 a.m. EDT

It would be a peculiarly apt form of poetic justice if the entity that has done so much to help President Trump run this country into the ground — Fox News — ends up playing an outsize role in helping destroy his chances at reelection.

Yet that may be exactly what’s happening.

This possibility is thrust upon us by two remarkable new reports: one in The Post illuminating Trump’s unsettled mental universe as he grapples with the new coronavirus surge, and one in the New York Times reporting that his law enforcement crackdowns are only accelerating more protests in response.

For Trump, Fox News has two functions: With some exceptions, it largely functions as his “shameless propaganda outlet,” as Margaret Sullivan put it, aggressively inflating his successes and faithfully pushing his messages. When Fox occasionally departs from this role, Trump rages at it as a form of deep betrayal.

Opinion | The Trump-Fox News coronavirus misinformation campaign has real consequences
Speculation by Fox News and the president about covid-19 cures is making it more difficult for health officials to do their job, says media critic Erik Wemple. (Video: Joshua Carroll, Erik Wemple, Kate Woodsome/Photo: Alex Brandon / AP/The Washington Post)
Yet for precisely this reason, Fox also functions as a kind of security blanket: It persuades Trump that he’s succeeding, which provides an effective reality distortion field against outside criticism.

The new Post report reveals how toxic this is on the coronavirus. Trump repeatedly failed to act to tame the spread, even though that would have helped him politically, due to a pathological refusal to admit earlier error and “overly rosy assessments and data" from Fox News:

Another self-imposed hurdle for Trump has been his reliance on a positive feedback loop. Rather than sit for briefings by infectious-disease director Anthony S. Fauci and other medical experts, the president consumes much of his information about the virus from Fox News Channel and other conservative media sources, where his on-air boosters put a positive spin on developments.
When the coronavirus death toll approached 100,000, this fact was largely absent from Fox prime-time programming. Now that it’s approaching 150,000, Fox personalities are claiming the original lockdowns were a plot to harm Trump and that things are actually going far better than expected thanks to his towering leadership.

Indeed, studies suggest misinformation from Fox and other right-wing media outlets might be making audiences more prone to believing coronavirus conspiracy theories. Meanwhile, even as too-rapid reopenings are a big reason the coronavirus is surging again, his Fox propagandists continue to push the idea that hesitation to reopen schools is pure politics.

Thus Fox feeds Trump’s preexisting refusal to admit error in a way that makes him less likely to dramatically scale up federal testing now — which several governors demanded over the weekend — and more prone to continuing to push for a rapid reopening.

Yet according to Trump’s own advisers, these failures are now putting his reelection at risk. The Post reports that they presented him data showing that the virus is spiking in red states and will soon surge in key swing states.

Trump is surely sliding in part because majorities prioritize defeating the virus even if it harms the economy. Yet Fox’s programming keeps telling him things are going better than they otherwise would be thanks to his glorious leadership, and that calls for extreme caution on reopening are a hoax.

On Fox, protests show Trump’s glorious strength
Meanwhile, Trump is mainlining from Fox a daily picture of the protests that is highly distorted and narcotically numbing.

The Times reports that the rash of new protests over the weekend in cities such as Seattle and Oakland, Calif., were largely driven by reaction to Trump’s law enforcement invasion of Portland, Ore. The Seattle mayor claims this “escalated” matters across the country, and the Oakland mayor warns it will “incite more unrest.”

This is surely why Trump is sending in law enforcement in the first place — he believes inciting violent civil conflict will help his reelection. As one GOP strategist candidly tells the Times, Republicans are hoping to define Democrats “as being on the side of the anarchists in Portland.”

The crucial point here is that what Trump sees on Fox is surely persuading him that he’s succeeding in doing just that.

Fox personalities are claiming that electing Joe Biden will make civil violence “a staple of American life everywhere.” They are relentlessly doctoring Biden quotes to paint him as anti-police. And they are suggesting that Trump’s Mount Rushmore speech, which conflated protests with “far-left fascism” to justify sending in more law enforcement, represented the greatest oratory since Cicero.

All this surely reinforces Trump’s belief that this messaging is working for him. After all, the imagery of violence, when hyped this way, does make for powerful television. And Trump knows powerful television when he sees it!

But in the Fox narrative of the protests, there is no room for any acknowledgement that Trump is functioning as a primarily inciting and destructive force, or that this fact might be further alienating the educated white suburban voters who are supposed to find Trump’s authoritarian displays reassuring.

Yet a recent Post-ABC News poll found that college-educated whites trust Biden over Trump to handle crime and safety by 52 percent to 40 percent. Among college-educated white women, that’s a stunning 58 percent to 37 percent. Among suburbanites, it’s 48 percent to 44 percent. Trump is even losing on this among seniors.

And a recent Yahoo News-YouGov poll found that a larger percentage of suburban voters say the country will become less safe if Trump wins (48 percent) than say the same about Biden (37 percent). Among women, it’s even worse for Trump (50 percent and 33 percent, respectively).

On the two biggest crises convulsing the country — the deadliest public health emergency in modern times, and the worst civil unrest in half a century — Trump is further alienating the middle of the country with his malign destructiveness and his depraved reveling in the supposed power of his own cultish propaganda.

Books will be written about Fox News’s role in exacerbating the national catastrophe that is this presidency. But, in persuading Trump that he is actually winning our great arguments about both those crises, Fox News may also be hastening its end."

It's kind of difficult to use an opinion piece

Jul 27, 2020, 1:56 PM

from an extremely biased news organization to highlight how enraged they are at another extremely biased news organization -- all with a straight face, right?

Fox News is obviously biased to Conservatives and Trump.

WaPo, NYT, pretty much all other outlets (especially their opinion columns) are obviously biased to Liberals and anyone but Trump.

I personally haven't watched FoxNews since the 2016 election. I don't read WaPo or NYT, nor do I watch the CNN/NBC/CBS/ABC etc outlets as they're all laughably stupid.

Just to be clear - what's your issue here? The liberals' perception that FoxNews is a Trump Propaganda machine (well...no ####)? Or the fact that all media outlets serve the same function to whichever side they're on?

The latter is clearly a much bigger issue as both sides' bias and attempts to manipulate people into thinking along their lines are wrong.

From the article itself:
- "But in the Fox narrative of the protests, there is no room for any acknowledgement that Trump is functioning as a primarily inciting and destructive force, or that this fact might be further alienating the educated white suburban voters who are supposed to find Trump’s authoritarian displays reassuring."
> That's kind of ridiculous no? Laughable rhetoric, almost. The party who's main mantra is for a more powerful federal government, intervening within federal jurisdiction, calling for states' rights? lol

- "On the two biggest crises convulsing the country — the deadliest public health emergency in modern times, and the worst civil unrest in half a century — Trump is further alienating the middle of the country with his malign destructiveness and his depraved reveling in the supposed power of his own cultish propaganda."
> Deadliest public health emergency in modern times? Really? Maybe our definition of modern times is different (ala pre-Trump, lol), but again, that's ridiculous rhetoric.
> Supposed power of his cultish propaganda? What exactly are we reading again? lol

this is my favorite:
- "Books will be written about Fox News’s role in exacerbating the national catastrophe that is this presidency. "
> Books should be written, courses should be taught, and people should be educated on the catastrophic effects that come about with a split party system backed by their own media conglomerates. They're all guilty and are profiting from it.

Stop worrying about going left or right, and let's try to go forward.

Re: It's kind of difficult to use an opinion piece

Jul 27, 2020, 6:13 PM

I cant disagree with your basic assumption about biased media. You are spot on.

The difference here is 2 fold. Trump watches Fox constantly. He's the first President so influenced by Cable News personalities. They say it, Trump repeats it the next day.

Trump needs to reverse course on the Virus and develop a national testing Plan, make wearing a mask a centerpiece of the fight, invoke the Defense Production Act and produce as much PPE as needed.

In other words, do what Europe did.

Unfortunately for Trump, Fox keeps telling him he's 'saving the country' single-handedly. Plus, a change of course implies that the current response has been a mistake. Even to get re-elected, Trump can't seem to ever admit a mistake.

Fox News is going to do Trump in, not help him. And he watches them religiously.

Jul 27, 2020, 2:57 PM

If Conservatives would like to better understand Liberals: First, remove your testicles and put them in a box. Next, give said box to a 19 year old, rich, white, college student. Finally, they will let you know when it's OK to use them again. Thanks.

That's a lot of unwarranted bravado from

Jul 27, 2020, 2:58 PM

someone who looks at Donald Trump and thinks "wow, what a guy!"

Re: That's a lot of unwarranted bravado from

Jul 27, 2020, 3:03 PM

Jr. is the man, but Sr. is doing allllright.

Charles Krauthammer said it best and most accurately.

Jul 27, 2020, 4:50 PM

"Liberal believe conservatives are evil."

You can add whatever you want to that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Lewis Grizzard said it best:

Jul 27, 2020, 4:52 PM

"Yankees, quite frankly, are tacky."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2020, 6:31 PM

https://youtu.be/LGcaNY5eBWw

Replies: 25
| visibility 666
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic