Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Big Dex had played in the championship game?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

If Big Dex had played in the championship game?

Jan 27, 2019, 2:30 PM

What do you think would have been different? I think the game plan would have been the same, but the score would have been 44 - 10 and Alabama would have had fewer rushing yards and fewer total yards and have taken 2 more sacks. Taking away most of their explosive plays and keeping the ball in front of the defense most of the night was the main plan. Making Alabama earn it all the way to the end zone was key. As the field gets shorter for the offense there is less room for the defense to worry about them making plays in space. Being able to rotate the number of players on defense we did all year help keep guys fresh and healthy. A great game plan, great coaching, great individual execution, great trust between players, and team execution. One player was not trying or having to try to do more than their part. Each was just trying to being the best they could be and supporting the team family.

Thanks to God for watching over them and keeping all of them from serious injury, for putting love for each other in their hearts, and guiding their path!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that sounds about right.***

Jan 27, 2019, 2:32 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It might have been 44-10, but no DT is worth 6 points on

Jan 27, 2019, 2:35 PM

average.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It might have been 44-10, but no DT is worth 6 points on

Jan 27, 2019, 3:14 PM

They wouldn't have run for nearly as many of those runs in between the 20s. I think Dex would have had a big impact on run defense.

Re: It might have been 44-10, but no DT is worth 6 points on

Jan 27, 2019, 3:41 PM [ in reply to It might have been 44-10, but no DT is worth 6 points on ]

Different subject but since Big Dex was mentioned I’ll jump in with this.

I simply don’t believe that a recruit ranked #2 nationwide, a guy so dominant that from day one when he showed up, he took playing time from RS JR’s and everyone else on down the line. And those weren’t just any old RS JR’s, those were ACC Champions and players that had played for the National Championship the year before. I just don’t believe that a 1st team All ACC and All American, a guy that was 330-340 lbs the first day he showed up, needed to or did take anything on purpose to give him an advantage. He already had every advantage, he was bigger and badder than everyone else from the git go. The truth is, the supplement industry has been allowed to run amuck.....and that falls squarely on regulators. You need a stinkIng license to pull a fish out of a lake, but any yahoo can put whatever he wants in a product, call it a “supplement”, sell it to humans to consume and walk scot free? Complete and total crock.

Re: If Big Dex had played in the championship game?

Jan 27, 2019, 3:38 PM

You’ve got a point BWFMountainTiger... but you gotta admire the job Huggins did!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jan 27, 2019, 4:02 PM

I agree that Huggins and Pinckney did fine, but Dex was definitely missed.

In addition to the interior run defense, his absence allowed Bama's OL to double Wilkins with little consequence. Now, you can rewatch the game with a focus on CW42, and see how impressive he is in shedding individual blocks from those highly regarded linemen, but most plays there's another engaging him and delaying him from being the dominant disruptor we're accustomed to.

I never worried about Bama running wide. Our outside speed on defense was even greater than theirs. I was worried more about the interior run defense. Huggy made enough plays, and improved throughout the game, that we were able to stop their momentum in the red zone. On 3rd and 4th downs, they had to earn every single yard. And Pinck was awesome on the fake FG, wasn't he?

Jan 27, 2019, 3:38 PM

And on another note regarding Big Dex; how many playoff teams can have their highest NFL eligible draftee sit out and still dominate the way we did? Not many.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2019, 4:14 PM

I don't believe anybody but Clemson could have had it's highest eligible draft pick player sit out; and still beat two top 3 teams! One of which was being called the best in the history of college football by some.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2019, 4:18 PM

Great point Rw43 the double team blocks would have all but been neutralized in their game plan. People say, "it was a wash b/c they had an OL out"! Not true; b/c as an OL you know where the play is going. They at least have that natural advantage. And advantage Big Dex usually can neutralized along the line of scrimmage.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it’s a possibility that they don’t even score.

Jan 27, 2019, 4:27 PM

With Big Dex in the middle they are in 3rd and long early and often. That would’ve allowed us to play 2 High safeties and/or tee off on Tua much more than we did. If he had to hold on to the ball longer than he did thanks to their success rushing between the 20’s we knock his teeth in. No way they have the success running the ball that they had if we have Dex.

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Jan 27, 2019, 4:31 PM

Albert, Nyles, et. al. did an excellent job. It was the most perfect game of the year.

Probably 51-10.***

Jan 27, 2019, 7:35 PM

Jan 27, 2019, 7:42 PM

It could have been a bigger beat down or he could have jumped off sides or something on a key play and changed the dynamics and flow of the whole game.

Message was edited by: keith75®

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic