Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If ACC were to be realigned , then i would really
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 2,161

If ACC were to be realigned , then i would really

Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM

like to see our permanent cross division rival be UNC. That was a good ACC rivalry back in the day , and it would still draw a strong home crowd and atmosphere.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If ACC were to be realigned , then i would really

Jul 30, 2014, 7:00 PM

And for the love of all that's sacred...let them change the dang names to North and South instead of Atlantic & Coastal.

And - make sure that the idiot that named the Atlantic/Coastal divisions be excluded from even mentioning any names for the new divisions.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they would have if they aligned the teams by geography......

Jul 30, 2014, 7:08 PM

will never happen, would be more imbalanced than it is now.

Yeah, no geographical divisions, PLEASE

Jul 30, 2014, 7:43 PM

We don't need FSU, Miami, us, and GT all on the same side. That's most of the ACC's historical beef right there.

Are you kidding? That would be awesome to play Miami

Jul 30, 2014, 7:54 PM

every year. Why not get the most out of every football season that we can.

The B1G had no problems weighting up their East division over the West, despite adding Maryland. College football Saturdays are better against a Miami than they are a Wake. Life's too short to wait for all these dream ACCCG match-ups.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For me it is all about WINNING and not great games.

Jul 30, 2014, 8:05 PM

A win over WF is better than a loss against anyone.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It Always Was Thought About... And Came Out Nowhere ----

Jul 30, 2014, 8:26 PM

I'm talking about the series of
games Clemson had with Miami.
I know Miami has the rivalry
with Florida St. but those
battles between Clemsom and
Miami were good ones.

It would be FSU-MIa CU-GT WF-DK NC-NCS VT-VA LOU-PITT BC-SYR***

Jul 30, 2014, 8:33 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then maybe just put.....

Jul 30, 2014, 8:37 PM

UNC into our division , just trying to find a way to get one more good home game from within the conference ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2014, 9:54 PM

I would like to see divisions eliminated all together and have the teams play each other under a 3-5 format (3 permanent rivals and two alternating groups of five). The two teams with the best conference records would face off in the ACCCG.

^^^this is best answer but I think current NCAA rules

Jul 30, 2014, 10:17 PM

Require 2 distinct divisions in order for there to be a championship game. I got a feeling we will see this rule changed very quickly as money is driving the bus now. Why limit who can play in these made for TV games? Two best records play in championship game.

Would have been us v FSU last year.

Yep

Jul 31, 2014, 8:03 AM

As soon as the Big 5 conferences vote themselves "significant autonomy" this Fall, the rules about divisions and conference championships will change quickly and dramatically.

Jul 30, 2014, 10:39 PM

I think a visit every other year to Atlanta does more for recruiting.

Definately helps.***

Jul 30, 2014, 11:30 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In a realignment, gtec would ...

Jul 30, 2014, 11:46 PM [ in reply to Re: If ACC were to be realigned , then i would really ]

probably go into our division, so we would play them every year anyway...if unc was to stay in other division , we could play them every year as our cross division rival ...

Jul 31, 2014, 1:40 AM

Alignment is the primary weakness for the "new" ACC. There just isn't a good option.

If you look at each of the five power conferences, all but the ACC have a somewhat sensible and natural alignment.

The SEC has a East/West separation, with the exception of Missouri being a misfit in the East. The SEC does share one negative with the ACC, in that both have grown to 14 football members and still maintain cross division rivalries with only eight conference games.

The Pac 12's North/South alignment works just fine. Each side has plenty of exposure in California for recruiting, as the state has two teams in each division. They don't have long draughts of traditional conference mates not seeing each other on the field.

The Big 12, while weakened overall, actually came out with a round robin schedule for football. Each team plays everyone else in the conference.

The Big Ten made a really smart decision with the addition of Maryland and Rutgers. People criticize the move but they don't see the big picture. It gave Penn State better exposure and presence in its own region and allowed the conference to ditch the hodgepodge Legends and Leaders and create geographic divisions. The perceived imbalance is greatly exaggerated. Wisconsin has won a lot of conference titles lately and Nebraska has a combined 8-3 record against Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, and Penn State of the East since they joined the Big Ten. They also got rid of all but one protected cross division rivalry in Purdue and Indiana. And in either 2015 or 2016 they are going to nine conference games. That combined with the elimination of the protected crossovers will allow the conference members to play each other regularly. And it helps to mitigate imbalance that might arise between divisions because three of your conference games will come from the opposite side anyway.

On the other hand, the ACC has divisions that aren't natural. Traditional conference members have such long stretches without seeing each other that they may as well not be in the same conference. Clemson sharing a division with Syracuse and Boston College, while going over a decade without playing traditional conference rivals, like UNC, is terrible. And in the ACC's case, a geographic alignment really would be too imbalanced. Can you imagine a division consisting of Syracuse, Boston College, Louisville, Pitt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Duke? Compare that to Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, UNC, NCSU, and Wake Forest. It just doesn't work. I think the ACC got caught up in trying to keep up with the Jones' and rolled the dice that they could steal away Penn State. The Big Ten beat them to the punch securing Penn State by adding Maryland and Rutgers and it left the ACC bigger but less manageable.

I still prefer GT as a permanent rival, for some reason

Jul 31, 2014, 8:07 AM

Maybe it's because I hate them so much and enjoy beating the snot out of them. But UNC's a good rival too.

As long as we're doing fantasy realignment though, and forgetting for a moment the current NCAA rules about divisions and championship games, I wonder if the ACC's ever tinkered with the idea of having 3 divisions (as long as there are 15 teams). Each team would play all 4 of their division opponents, then 2 each from the other 2 divisions on a rotating basis. The championship would be the two teams with the best record.

The only thing I don't like about changing the championship to "two best records" is that if they come from the same division, it's almost guaranteed that the winner knocks the loser out of the NCAA playoffs. Whereas in our current system, it's conceivable that within a single division, an undefeated team and a 1-loss team could both make said playoff.

Replies: 16
| visibility 2,161
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic