Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: SC State Review
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,326

Plyler's Blog: SC State Review

Sep 8, 2014, 6:43 AM

SC State Review

SC State Review
Outside of one fumble that was returned for a touchdown, I am not sure how Saturday could have gone any better in Clemson's 73-7 win over SC State.

Clemson got the win in a dominating fashion and the Tigers came out of the game without injury.

I can't remember a game w

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd also say the OLine had trouble run blocking in the first

Sep 8, 2014, 8:37 AM

half, especially considering the opponent was SCST. Our RB's were getting hit at or behind the LOS a LOT! That shouldn't happen when playing lowly SCST. The RB's were able to make guys miss and break tackles and gain a few yards. But against better teams those runs are for losses or zero yards. The OLine HAS to step it up. Simple as that.

Re: I'd also say the OLine had trouble run blocking in the first

Sep 8, 2014, 9:03 AM

I was a happy as the next guy about the win Saturday....I was really upset about the beating in Athens...all this high-fiving and accolades about the thorough domination might come to a stop if FSU clobbers us like the Dawgs did. I hope we are up to the job. But I think that we all knew our line was suspect in a lot of places, but the most suspect area of the offensive line is the coaching...we look bad and I think Caldwell and his staff have some explaining to do...I hope Caldwell does not do to Swinney what Spence did to Bowden as far as longenity

It's a lack of recruiting, not coaching

Sep 8, 2014, 10:56 AM

We've signed two OG's the last two classes, no OT's. This team would be very, very good with an OL that was slightly better than average. I am dubious that the OL will improve much for about 2-3 years given our overall lack of attention to this critical segment of the team. I think we're fine at C as long as Guillermo doesn't get hurt - he looks legit. Davis is playing very well at OG.

Maybe Dabo is seeing the light and we will start placing more emphasis on the OL in terms of talent and numbers moving forward. It will be interesting to see how many we sign for 2016.

Otherwise, I was pleased with the great defensive effort although I wish SCSU QB was better so our CB's could get some more reps with a quality QB before FSU, FG kicker looked very solid, WR's took a step forward (blocking is still iffy at times), freshmen RB's are very capable but have to learn to block better. Watson is clearly the real deal and will be needed in two weeks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's a lack of recruiting, not coaching

Sep 8, 2014, 12:44 PM

don't forget we have had career ending injuries at tackle including top ranked recuits. No way could that be forseen or overcome.

Sep 8, 2014, 3:01 PM

and we did not manage or respond to it as needed. OL is usually the hardest to evaluate, hardest to develop and yet we offer more schollies to WR's than OL.

I'm not saying Dabo is not a good coach or I want him fired but CLEARLY he has made some errors in recruiting. This year's team is paying of it. That's the reality.

I know this is not popular but giving scholarships to marginal players, like the Davis twins, Dawkins kid, Burrell, creates some holes in some positions. Dabo has to learn to address that issue more effectively in my view as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm glad we took as many WRs as we did

Sep 8, 2014, 3:11 PM

We've had attrition there, too. Who would have thought we needed as many WRs as we have? It's almost like the knew what they were doing or something...

Sep 8, 2014, 4:07 PM [ in reply to Re: It's a lack of recruiting, not coaching ]

Have you bothered to look at the commits for OL in next years class? We may have the top rated OL recruiting class in the country next year...
From Dabos 1st recruiting class we lost the highest rated OL signee to career ending injury, we lost 2 more this past year. We are short handed on the OL.. but it is not from a lack of recruiting effort. In the past for example under TB, we would have a lot of recruits that never saw the field. No reason to sign a recruit that you do not think can play at the level you need.

It's also his 6th full recruiting class

Sep 9, 2014, 2:13 PM

There is simply no rationale explanation for the poor quality/numbers on our OL other than recruiting. yes, we have likely the best recruiting OL coming in next year, which excites me. However, all these talented freshmen need to redshirt and develop into collegiate OLmen, which takes time. We will not have this set of elite OL playing until 2017 or later.
Let's wait and see if Dabo sticks with signing 3-4 OL every year, which needs to be broken down into C, OG, OT - not just OL.
I hope he's learning to value the big guys upfront but let me clearly state Dabo is light-years ahead of Bowden - but he's not perfect in all things (don't pass out - seriously). We simply have to have better numbers/talent upfront to compete for a National Title. The dirt peckers have been beating us for a reason and it's not due to skill players.

your last sentence almost made me laugh. do you realize how many guys Dabo recruits that the overwhelming odds are they will never be significant contributors? I was following your line of thought until that last sentence; then I knew you really just wanted to keep typing.

We've lost quite a few OL unexpected over the last few years

Sep 8, 2014, 3:11 PM [ in reply to It's a lack of recruiting, not coaching ]

We would have been more than fine, but it seems like we've had some really bad luck with career ending injuries and transfers.

DW, CJ, and some others got away with cutbacks

Sep 8, 2014, 3:10 PM [ in reply to I'd also say the OLine had trouble run blocking in the first ]

That would have been huge losses against a more skilled opponent.

Re: I'd also say the OLine had trouble run blocking in the first

Sep 8, 2014, 4:16 PM [ in reply to I'd also say the OLine had trouble run blocking in the first ]

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!if this unit does not improve A LOT we are in deep trouble..it is past time to get this problem solved! and don`t tell about what we have recruited for NEXT YEAR.. they are 2 years away @ best..

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stoudt barely had time to get his passed off against SCSTate

Sep 8, 2014, 4:19 PM [ in reply to I'd also say the OLine had trouble run blocking in the first ]

And sacked once - O line has to improve immensely or Fsuck will look like GA in the second half!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,326
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic