Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
IMO, a big Swofford fail was losing UMD and not adding WVU..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

IMO, a big Swofford fail was losing UMD and not adding WVU..

Jun 25, 2020, 3:41 PM

I know there is little love here for UMD or WVU, but hear me out...

The current ACC is dull as dirt because there just aren't many good regional rivalries outside FSU-UM or the Carolina schools.

The SEC and even the Big 10 beats the ACC on regional rivalries. The ACC had a chance to establish a solid regional rivalry between the min-Atlantic schools (UVA, VPI, UMD, WVU, and Pitt). UMD and WVU each have rivalries with several of those schools and others could have been developed. Louisville could have easily been thrown into that mix.

Syracuse and BC are worthless for the ACC in terms of giving the conference some identifiable, regional character.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

mid-Atlantic***

Jun 25, 2020, 3:42 PM

Re: IMO, a big Swofford fail was losing UMD and not adding WVU..

Jun 25, 2020, 3:54 PM

With these schools, the ACC could have split into a North/South.

North: Pitt, WVU, UMD, VPI, UVA, Louisville, UNC
South: NCSU, Wake, Duke, Clemson, GT, FSU, UM

You could flip/flop UNC/NCSU

WVU certainly better for football and regionally speaking..

Jun 25, 2020, 4:29 PM

BC and Syracuse are worthless...I would agree.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

um

Jun 25, 2020, 4:32 PM

no

They make shamecock fans look like mensa members

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Jun 25, 2020, 4:32 PM

BC and Syracuse bring in the TV money. That's all that matters and it's why nobody will ever care about WVU.

Jun 26, 2020, 4:18 AM

Viewers in the Boston area care about what BC is doing? Seem to be way more in to pro sports.

Jun 26, 2020, 6:07 AM

It doesn’t matter how many viewers watch it. It’s that the regional providers pick up the games for broadcast.

Jun 25, 2020, 4:34 PM

I totally agree about UMD and WVU. They make a lot more sense than BU and Syr, at least from the football side.
Go Tigers

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2020, 5:19 PM

If you wanted to create a rival in the conference, the ACC should have added the Shamecocks instead of Louisville. You have the natural rivalry of Clemson and you would add GT, UNC, Duke NC State and Wake. Plus it would have moved the conference back to its roots.

Jun 25, 2020, 5:24 PM

WVU had just joined the Big 12 and signed a grant of rights when Maryland announced they were leaving. Louisville was the addition to the acc to replace Maryland as Syracuse and Pitt were already coming to the ACC prior Maryland's departure.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jun 25, 2020, 7:04 PM

You all forget it was Syracuse, BC and Miami the original expansion of 3 idea. VT was not considered. Miami was the real target bringing Syracuse and BC along to coax UM in. Always thought it should have been UM,WVU and VT to get to 12.

Need to steal Penn St from the Big 10 somehow and get WVU as well.

Jun 25, 2020, 6:21 PM

And split into 8 team divisions (north and south). Get rid of the annual cross divisional rivalry and just schedule 2 different teams from the other side every year. Drop ND cause eff ‘em.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Need to steal Penn St from the Big 10 somehow and get WVU as well.

Jun 25, 2020, 9:14 PM

I agree (at least) with your last sentence.

Jun 25, 2020, 6:28 PM

I don't think WVU brings much of anything into a conference other than their FB team is good sometimes. We'll see if that continues.

They certainly don't bring much TV revenue or help expand recruiting territory (in any sport). SU and BC are far more valuable to the ACC than WVU could ever dream of being.

Why is WVU preferable to Louisville?***

Jun 25, 2020, 8:15 PM

What is the fascination with WVU?

Jun 25, 2020, 8:43 PM

What do they bring to the table? They don’t bring much in terms of TV market. They occasionally have a good football team, and have had some good basketball teams. But their academics suck and their fans suck too. They aren’t a good cultural fit for the ACC at all.

I would have much preferred to keep Maryland. They are an original ACC member and I hated to see them go.

Penn State would be a much better fit for the ACC than the couch burners.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I dont want WVU in conference but will defend academics

Jun 26, 2020, 8:30 AM

rankings after I looked into why some of their academics rankings are so low. I believe their rep there is kind of skewed unfairly. After talking with my inlaws (WV residents), part of the reason the academic rep is so low as far as incoming freshman grades, graduation rates, low avg sat/act scores is due to the fact that if you are a WV resident, you graduate high school with required prereqs, and have a pulse you are pretty much guaranteed entry to undergrad with any GPA/test scores. They basically take the stance, with a few exceptions, that if you are a state resident that has paid state taxes then you deserve the right to go to their state supported school and should be given a chance. What you do with that chance is up to you. I believe this is a wonderful stance for a state supported institution to take. It gives some that may not have taken high school seriously or were late in the game of turning things around a second chance to turn things around and get an education that their tax dollars paid for. Some take advantage and of course some dont. This is what leads to them having a high freshman/sophomore drop out rate and lower freshman avg test scores/GPA. If you took these factors out of the equation and just measured them on the quality of education provided, quality of graduates and their future success, and GPA of those graduates the academic rep would be a lot better. For example, in the US News rankings published every year, 35% of your score is based on graduation rates alone and 10% is based on admissions standards for a total of 45% of the score. So the factors mentioned above significantly affect the schools ranking.

Yes, they serve the state. While the UNcheats look down

Jun 27, 2020, 1:14 AM

their noses at West Virginia, and give grades for classes that don't exist, WVU has 25 Rhodes Scholars to its credit.

Agree 100%. The expanded ACCshould have been

Jun 25, 2020, 11:39 PM

Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Maryland
Miami,Fl
North Carolina
NC State
Pitt
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
West Virginia

If there was no way to prevent Maryland from leaving, then fine, get Louisville. But West Virginia would have been a better addition over Louisville if they had been available when Maryland left and should have been added over Boston College in the expansion in 2003/04. A contiguous conference that includes the states of FLorida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New York. Nothing against Boston College. They are contiguous to New York, but definitely would rather have West Virginia.

My actual preference for the league in 2011 would have been the following:

Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Maryland
Miami, Fl
North Carolina
NC State
Notre Dame (All in) (If not, then Boston College gets their 16th spot, and all contiguos)
Pitt
Rutgers (Don't laugh, 55,000 seat stadium full and no Big10 in the New York area)
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech (No brainer, but the ACC almost blew it)
West Virginia (Just the type of fan atmosphere the ACC needs and rival to Pitt and Va Tech)
Wake Forest

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic