Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Big East, Syracuse to be departed on July 1, 2013, per FBS
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,221

Big East, Syracuse to be departed on July 1, 2013, per FBS

Jul 16, 2012, 12:27 PM

Big East, Syracuse reach agreement for Orange to depart for ACC

By Kevin Kelley - Mon, Jul 16, 2012

The Big East Conference and Syracuse have reached an agreement that will allow the Orange to depart for the ACC for the 2013 season.

Syracuse’s membership in the Big East will be terminated on July 1, 2013 and the Orange will then join the ACC on the same day. In turn, Syracuse will pay the Big East conference a one-time fee of $7.5 million.

“This closes a chapter and opens a new one filled with exciting possibilities for the Big East’s future. With the recent addition of eight schools to the Big East, the future for the Conference has never been brighter,” said Joe Bailey, Big East Interim Commissioner.

“We look forward to the new academic and athletic partnerships and the extraordinary competitive opportunities that membership in the ACC offers. We are excited about both our final season in the Big East and our long-term future with the ACC,” said Dr. Daryl Gross, Director of Athletics for Syracuse University.

Syracuse accepted an offer to join the ACC last September along with the Pittsburgh Panthers. Pitt is currently involved in a lawsuit to leave the Big East.

With Syracuse now officially joining the ACC in 2013 and Pittsburgh likely, the ACC will move to a nine-game conference schedule. Syracuse will compete in the Atlantic Division with Pitt in the Coastal Division.

Currently, the Orange are slated to open the 2013 season vs. Penn State at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on Aug. 31. The Orange then travel to Northwestern on Sept. 7.

In ACC play, Syracuse will face Boston College, Clemson, Florida State, Maryland, NC State, Wake Forest, and three teams from the Coastal Division

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so Pitt will be in the Atlantic?

Jul 16, 2012, 12:31 PM

They'd be a much better addition to our schedule, in terms of SOS, than Syracuse.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: so Pitt will be in the Atlantic? just the opposite

Jul 16, 2012, 12:36 PM

according to the article

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best thing about this is

Jul 16, 2012, 1:58 PM

that Jim Boeheim will get to make a tour of his new conference in the Spring, and will probably look the whole time like he just ate a sh!t sandwich. I'm sure there are still a lot of people who aren't too friendly with him after his comments about the ACC when BC, VT, and Miami left.

I don't really care that much except his comments showed what an enormous d0uchebag he is, so it'll be fun to see him get his comeuppance. That is if he doesn't chicken out and retire before the 2013-14 season.

I would really like to see the divisions re-slotted

Jul 16, 2012, 2:22 PM

after they join. Split it North / South.

Clemson
GTech
FSU
Miami
UNC
NCState
Wake

then

Pitt
BC
SYR
Mary
Virg
VTech
Duke

Yeah, I know, the divisions would not be balanced by strength, but I like the regional aspect.

Couldn't disagree more.One of the things the conference ...

Jul 16, 2012, 4:48 PM

got right was the original alignment. I am glad to see them stick with it.

That's ok. I know it would not be balanced.

Jul 16, 2012, 6:30 PM

But I would just like to cut down on the travel.

But the problem with this is that football and baseball would be grueling in our division. Basketball would be a wash.

Re: I would really like to see the divisions re-slotted

Jul 16, 2012, 8:17 PM [ in reply to I would really like to see the divisions re-slotted ]

I am with you. Keep things regional, like college sports should really be. Then playoffs, "other" bowl games, etc., can have some real comparative value. There is nothing like physical proximity to fuel a rivalry. Hard to picture an intense rivalry between say, USCjr and TAMU. Can you say "boring"?

As an aside, come to think of it, most SEC matchups are boring, including the "epic" low-scoring yawners between 'Bama and LSU. Face it, a lot more people remember Boise State - Oklahoma from a few years back than either LSU-Bama matchup from last year - tho I have to admit the goal line interception by LSU was a classic defensive play. The rest of both games is pretty much a non-memory.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,221
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic