Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I wonder where we would be now IF Rick Barnes stayed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

I wonder where we would be now IF Rick Barnes stayed

Jan 14, 2017, 2:42 PM

Rick was the best fit here we have ever had. How do you think our basketball program would be now if he never left?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A consistent tourney team, with occasional Sweet 16's,***

Jan 14, 2017, 2:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A consistent tourney team, with occasional Sweet 16's,***

Jan 14, 2017, 3:12 PM

that works for me

Agree with t consistent tournament team, but don't know

Jan 14, 2017, 4:27 PM [ in reply to A consistent tourney team, with occasional Sweet 16's,*** ]

... don't know about the "Sweet 16s" ... Rick Barnes would have settled in at about the middle of the ACC hierarchy if he'd stayed. And the trouble was that there was o way 'Rick Barnes was going to be satisfied with that.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'd be a basketball school and Tommy would still be

Jan 14, 2017, 3:40 PM

head football coach. Just spitballin'.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IF Rick Barnes stayed

Jan 14, 2017, 4:25 PM

I think he could not have sustained the style of play he brought to the ACC and that his frustration with the officiating and his lack of success at attracting a more polished caliber of basketball player to Clemson contributed greatly to his willingness to jump when he did.

I think we'd definitely have been better off if he'd have stayed on at Clemson, but I do not think we'd be winning ACC titles regularly because the ACC more or less told Rick that "bully ball" wasn't going to be allowed versus Dean Smith and Mike K. etc.

Forget the Rick Barnes "what if"......

Jan 14, 2017, 5:44 PM

How would Clemson basketball history read if the university had come up with a few extra dollars and kept Press Maravich as HC??

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Forget the Rick Barnes "what if"......

Jan 14, 2017, 10:34 PM

You know how I feel about that ... the late 50s and early 60s was the time when Clemson could have/should have gotten serious about basketball.

Re: I wonder where we would be now IF Rick Barnes stayed

Jan 14, 2017, 6:42 PM

Not much different.

Most big time BB recruits are inner city kids. Most like the bright lights of a major metropolitan area.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

No, that's not true. Top players want to play for winners and get to the NBA.

Jan 15, 2017, 12:20 AM

There are plenty of top college programs not located in big cities. Conversely, there are plenty of schools in huge cities that aren't very good. Name a top program in NYC or Chicago (hint: there aren't any).

Clemson isn't held back because of location, but because we have a horrible history, average fan support, and until very recently, poor administrative support. The facilities are a huge help, and it is looking like we might be looking for a new coach soon. That hire will be crucial for our future success.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Judge, I think when you see guys like us

Jan 15, 2017, 8:49 PM

pretty much seeing the handwriting on the wall. Guys who respect Brownell. Well, it just seems we know what's coming barring a miracle.

We've never been in a better position to make a great hire should it come to that.

Barring dramatic improvement over the next week or two

Jan 16, 2017, 12:12 AM

we are indeed going to be looking for a new men's basketball coach. If so, I hope we truly do a national search and hire a great coach. As you said, we are in a great position with the new facilities.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

not anywhere

Jan 14, 2017, 7:10 PM

he didn't want to be here. And btw, how'd he end up doing with Texas, and then after that? That'll answer your question PG.

How'd he end up doing with Texas? Seriously?

Jan 14, 2017, 7:33 PM

14 straight tourney appearances, numerous sweet sixteens and a final four. Pretty well I'd say

Must be kidding. 16 NCAA appearances in 17 years

Jan 14, 2017, 10:58 PM [ in reply to not anywhere ]

along with a final four and 2 elite eights.

He's very likely a Hall of Fame coach one day

Jan 15, 2017, 12:00 AM

especially if he gets Tennessee turned around, which he probably will

So you're sayin' roy Williams is a great coach?

Jan 15, 2017, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Must be kidding. 16 NCAA appearances in 17 years ]

It's what you do with what you have, that counts. Age-old maxim.

Re: I wonder where we would be now IF Rick Barnes stayed

Jan 14, 2017, 7:27 PM

I wonder where we'd be with Shaka Smart

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic