Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best SUV or Truck...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Best SUV or Truck...

Aug 18, 2018, 2:35 PM

For family, tailgating etc?

Trying to stay under 20k...

Been looking at used Tundras and Land Cruisers, as well as a few others...I'm open minded.

No fluff answers please!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You already listed the two best!***

Aug 18, 2018, 2:39 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would go with the Pontiac aztek

Aug 18, 2018, 2:43 PM

it is both stylish and affordable.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, it worked for Walter White.***

Aug 18, 2018, 2:54 PM

Re: Yep, it worked for Walter White.***

Aug 19, 2018, 10:28 AM

There's just something about Walter White's Aztek that causes its windshield to attract things that break it. Not a problem in SC though since the law requires your insurance to cover broken windshield replacement at no cost to you.

As a tailgating-mobile, I'd recommend investing in a nice new orange paint job with purple tiger stripes. All total, you'll likely come in under $10K. It'll be awesome!

Re: Best SUV or Truck...

Aug 18, 2018, 2:50 PM

tundra or tacoma

Aug 18, 2018, 2:53 PM

Jeep
Jeep
Jeep

Agree. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Aug 18, 2018, 4:34 PM

Probably needs to be a base 2007/2008 to get you near 20k.

Bought a 2010 Unlimited Saraha back in March and am in love.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2018, 2:55 PM

mercedes g class works for me

Aug 18, 2018, 3:01 PM

That V-8 in the Tundra Is brutal fuel mileage wise. Great truck though with good resale value.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2018, 4:51 PM

Yep.... but the 4X4 pulls like 10 mule team

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Aug 18, 2018, 11:40 PM

Affirmative

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2018, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Best SUV or Truck... ]

Funny story about Tundras:
I have an '06 crew cab, V8. I got it b/c I knew I wouldn't have any problems with it. That was true until a minor issue last year. On the way home from the Charlotte airport one evening, I heard what sounded like a scraping noise under the passenger seat, then the engine stopped. I pulled over, couldn't crank it and called a tow truck. The next day the mechanic confirmed: The engine was destroyed. 147,000 miles and I had the timing belt changed at 100,000. The mechanic said he had NEVER seen this on a Toyota. The theory is that a valve keeper broke and let a valve drop in the engine. That scraping sound I heard was pieces of my valves and chips off my pistons blowing down my exhaust. So now $6000 later, I have a truck with ~160k miles with an engine with ~120k miles.

Bottom line, these actually are great trucks. One in a million have a serious problem. I got that one, so, the other 999,999 out there are good to go. Get a Tundra.

I’ll be using my new Honda Pilot***

Aug 18, 2018, 3:04 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I went with the Merecedes G-Class...

Aug 18, 2018, 3:05 PM

and have not been disappointed. It is a bit pricier than your average SUV but the old adage stands, you get what you pay for. This thing has all the amenities for tailgating.

Huge bonus, the orange is almost identical to Clemson orange.

Re: I went with the Merecedes G-Class...

Aug 18, 2018, 3:21 PM

Shout out to you. I'm not sure if that'd match my price range, however.

Anyone have a ridgeline or avalanche? Tahoe?

Re: I went with the Merecedes G-Class...

Aug 18, 2018, 6:38 PM [ in reply to I went with the Merecedes G-Class... ]

To which tailgating amenities are you referring that are present in the G-class? Does yours come with a Kegerator or a satellite dish? Or is it just a stock G-class with no customization?

Also, you're $100K over his budget.

Aug 18, 2018, 3:20 PM

The vehicle has little to do with having a great tailgate. It’s he people around you that make a great tailgate. I have had some of the best times in an old beater station wagon with friends and good food plus a few beers

Aug 18, 2018, 3:21 PM

Honda Element. Doesn't look too flashy but fits four comfortably and has lots of space. You can easily get one for under 10k!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2018, 4:02 PM

Look at a Subaru. They are AWD and have a great resale value. Just bought a new 2018 Crosstrek for under $24.000 Love it! Great gas mileage, averaging 35/38 mpg. However, you may need something a little bigger like a Forester, Outback or Ascent for the family. Good Luck!

Aug 18, 2018, 4:08 PM

Chevy Silverado. There is no other answer

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

F-150 SuperCrew

Aug 18, 2018, 4:13 PM

Going to be older for $20k but you’ll get a better truck than the Tundra. Tacoma is a mini truck and expensive. Land Cruiser is nice but at 20k you’re likely in the 200k+ mileage.

I bought an F-150 SuperCrew about 10 years ago

Aug 18, 2018, 6:49 PM

It's got 160,000 miles on it and still is in great shape. I hope to get another 160,000 out of it

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you're trying to stay under 20 grand, then you just need

Aug 18, 2018, 4:21 PM

to find the best deal you can that's been taken care of. If you're not a mechanic, find a friend that knows everything about the models you're looking at and what the typical problems are [every car has them] and whether or not they've been fixed.

And remember, man makes parts cost three times what others do.

Anything with a hatch back is useful.

Aug 18, 2018, 4:44 PM

Easy unload and shelter if needed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2018, 6:46 PM

I think you need to consider the length of the vehicle. If you're serious about tailgating, and you have a standard parking spot, you really can't go much bigger than 16' in length. Basically, a Jeep Cherokee is your biggest vehicle that you can park and still allow room to erect a tent and tailgate.

At the same time, you have to fit all of your stuff in the vehicle. Only you know what you're bringing.

I like the Jeep and Subaru suggestions. Definitely worth a look. I've been in soggy parking fields before and having 4x4 is advisable, but not really required. There are tons of rednecks with 4x4s (myself included) that would pull you out of the mud if needed. You could certainly get away with a small 2x4 SUV that may be more practicle as a daily driver.

Lexus makes outstanding SUVs

Aug 18, 2018, 8:17 PM

But you’re going to have to buy one a few years old or with high mileage to get under $20K. It will last a really long time if you perform routine maintenance though. Great SUVs!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

To Judge's point

Aug 18, 2018, 9:26 PM

You can check out the GX470's built from 2001-2009 for your price range.

And you can't go wrong with Land Cruisers either. I have 2010 and 2015 Sequioas' that run great but V-8 has 16-17 mpg. Good luck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Suburban.***

Aug 18, 2018, 9:34 PM

Aug 18, 2018, 9:41 PM

Ram 1500 4x4 crew cab with EcoDiesel. You’ll never look back.

Aug 18, 2018, 10:09 PM

I bought an old BMW x5 35d. I found an 11 model with about 65,000 miles and it fits your price range.

Tires are a little more expensive than a nornal car but it drives like a dream. It gets 26-27 mpg on the highway with all wheel drive. The brakes feel strong enough to stop a bus. It is a super quiet car. It's rated to tow about 7500 lbs.

I have heard that the modern diesels have soot buildup that needs to be cleaned out around 100,000 miles.

I have always had great luck with older bmws. You have to make sure you get one that has been maintained properly. Make sure it doesn't have oil leaks etc. A certified pre owned is worth The extra money. The german transmissions (made by ZF) run forever. I have heard the HP-6 is one of their best ever. The new HP-8s (8 speed) can be found in the dodge ram 1500 and jeep grand Cherokee.

Aug 18, 2018, 11:55 PM

I have had a Nissan Armada for years and I have zero complaints. Lots of room in back seats that recline for those passengers. The third row is even comfortable but I always leave those down which gives plenty of storage. Get you a hitch carrier and you can put grill and generator on that. I had a Z71 Tahoe before Armada but the Armada is much more comfortable, lots more power.

You can get really good deal on them just few yrs old. My dad has the Lexus 460/Land cruiser and my Armada is bigger by quite a bit inside with all the same extras with the same fuel economy. His rides a little nicer but the Armada is designed to tow loads also which is why I got it initially.

GMC Sierra or Chevy Silverado

Aug 18, 2018, 10:45 PM

If you go the SUV route - Tahoe or Suburban

Thank me later

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Aug 19, 2018, 12:48 AM

Nissan Frontier 4 door. You could find a nice used 2016 or 2017 for about $18,000 to $2300. Get the SV model. I have one and love it.

A friend who works for Toyota said their 17 and 18 models were junk. He is the one who recommended Nissan.

Not a fan of any of the Crossovers, or the American Made vehicles unless you buy a Ford Truck and the Chevy Challenge is a good solid truck.

Call Sam at First Auto on Laurens Road. Sam has some of the best used vehicles of any dealer. He is honest, has tremendous integrity and will not break your wallet. Tell him what you want and he will find a quality vehicle for you. It may take him longer to find what your looking for but it’s because he doesn’t buy just any used vehicles. I like to refer to Sam as the Dabo of the used vehicle business!

First Auto is located across from the McDonald’s on Laurens Rd. Or call information for his new number.

Iv e had a 2015 and now have now have a 2017 Tundra

Aug 19, 2018, 7:17 AM

The 2015 had a huge doe run in front of it. I swerved and missed the deer, but ran through a front yard cutting down two thirty year old Bradford pear trees with the front end. All the air bags deployed. I was unhurt, but the Tundra was totalled. So I went out a bought another new Tundra. Yeah it rides like a truck. I got the big V8 with the second Tundra. It's got plenty of power. I take it in places you would probably only take a 4 wheel drive. It did cost $28,000 brand new.

Aug 19, 2018, 7:54 AM

Can’t go wrong with this great piece of machinery. Spacious and room for the entire family while fitting under your budget. You’re welcome

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/45533769

I went with the Russian Sherp...

Aug 19, 2018, 12:30 PM

Timeless beauty and it gets me out to the Arkansas Polio Weed patch with narry a problem.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic