Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"I went to see Your Wall."
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

May 27, 2019, 7:42 PM

This being Memorial Day, I reflected on a letter to the Editor that I sent in, and got published in our local newspaper 15 years ago, upon the occasion of seeing the Wall That Heals. It is below, as published. I got just as emotional reading it again today as I did writing it 15 years ago.

I went to see The Wall today. Actually, it is only a half sized replica of the real Wall, but there is nothing half sized about the power it emitted. For those who have not seen, I am talking about The Wall That Heals, the traveling Viet Nam War Memorial National Monument.

I did not know how (or if) I would be affected by my visit to the Wall, I only knew that I did not want to miss the opportunity to see it. When I arrived, there were only a few people around. In one area, there were a couple of older white men who could best be described as "biker" type individuals by appearance. The expressions of pain and loss on their faces looked completely out of place on such hardened men. But, they wore them unashamedly in this place. In another area, an older black man kneeled, searching for a specific name. I found out the name was of his brother-in-law.

The longer I stayed, the more the symbolism of the Wall became apparent. The names on the wall are not in alphabetical order. They are instead in what appears to be random order, based on the date they died. As random as being in the wrong place at the wrong time to live, but the right place and time to die. This war knew no racial boundaries. It didn't care if you were rich, poor, black, white, young, or old. All were affected. Some were affected by living it in Viet Nam. Others were affected by having the war brought into their living rooms on a nightly basis. Families were affected by those who did not come home alive, and by those who did as well. Others such as myself continue to be affected by the loss of so many of our finest young people 30 years after the fact.

The Wall rises up slowly out of the ground on one end, and then tails off slowly into the ground on the opposite end. I find this again symbolic of a War that had no real declared beginning, and no real final end, only a hollow declaration of "Peace With Honor." Viet Nam veterans received a lot of this same denial type of treatment prior to the creation of The Wall. It was kind of like "Yeah, we know you were over there, but we don't want to talk about this one because we didn't come out smelling like a rose."

I even remember a lot of criticism of the Monument prior to its opening. "Just names on a black wall? What kind of War Memorial is that?" Come see the Wall, either the replica as I did, or the actual Memorial in Washington. You won't have to ask that question again. Thank You to all the Veterans who survived Viet Nam, and to the ones who didn't. I went to see Your Wall today.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "I went to see Your Wall."

May 27, 2019, 7:49 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

May 27, 2019, 10:30 PM

My daughter and I paid a visit to The Wall That Heals when it was in Myrtle Beach in 2014. It’s all you describe and more. I enjoyed going through the small museum they had set up. Spent over an hour there and couldn’t keep the confetti out of my eyes. God bless the ones who didn’t make it home and those that did and were treated so badly.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2019, 10:34 PM

I saw the Wall when it stopped in Greenwood. It was emotional when you see the names of guys who were side-by-side with you moments before the event that earned them a spot on that long list. The fact that names are listed in order of death places the names of everyone you served with in close proximity which makes for a powerful statement.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Citadel Alum, on the Wall that Heals

May 28, 2019, 10:52 AM

Captain Terry Cordell was the first American officer to fall in Vietnam, and 58,000 American servicemen followed him, to include 76 known Citadel alumni.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Salute to he and all the others that are emblazoned on

May 28, 2019, 11:52 AM

that Wall. We must never forget the ultimate sacrifice they made.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic