Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone watched many UNC Cheaters games?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,106

Anyone watched many UNC Cheaters games?

Nov 8, 2015, 10:12 PM

I know Dabo will have the team focused on Syracuse but I am just wondering if anyone has watched UNC play very much and have a good feel for their strengths and weaknesses. I really hate them more for giving away the game to the coots in Charlotte at the beginning of the year. I did watch part of the game where they put 59 up against Duke in third quarter. They looked extremely impressive on offense and Duke Supposedly had a Top 10 defense (seems like very team we play has a top 10 defense).

Any insights into UNC would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dean

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone watched many UNC Cheaters games?

Nov 8, 2015, 10:29 PM

I enjoy watching college football but UNC is not where I look for it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2015, 10:33 PM

I think we are on the same page. However, I do thing there are people on this board that will watch replays of other ACC games on WatchEspn or watch other ACC teams play more and have a better feel for them.

Dean

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1-- I am the same

Nov 9, 2015, 6:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone watched many UNC Cheaters games? ]

i'll watch the NCAA announcement which is mysteriously postponed until a couple weeks after basketball season but that's it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All you need to know about UNC is...

Nov 8, 2015, 10:35 PM

...they have argyle on their uniforms. But that's probably only because Nike would have charged them too much for paisley.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they still have 3 ACC games to play.

Nov 8, 2015, 10:36 PM

not a done deal.

Re: they still have 3 ACC games to play.

Nov 8, 2015, 10:40 PM

Exactly - they could lose to Miami or ncsu

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Yep. They'll have to play @Virginia Tech and @NC State.

Nov 9, 2015, 3:30 AM [ in reply to they still have 3 ACC games to play. ]

The ESPN's FPI gives the winning chance for UNC just above 50% for both games.

Here's my take on them

Nov 8, 2015, 10:40 PM

I keep up with both teams as I graduated from UNC (in-state tuition since I'm from NC) but Dad and Grandpa were Tigers.

UNC is very similar on offense to the last few years with a pretty dynamic scheme under Fedora. Biggest difference is their defense has markedly improved. Why? They canned Vic Koenning. Now with Gene Chizik (formerly of Auburn) at the helm, the defense is actually playing solid fundamental football. That's not to say they are outstanding, but there has been a huge difference in performance.

This is one of those games that will have those who follow recruiting a bit annoyed. A couple of guys we really wanted like Elijah Hood and a guy like Quinshad Davis from Gaffney who we mysteriously didn't pursue have been looking great for the Tar Heels.

Clemson should win handily. I expect us to enter the game as a 14 point favorite and to cover the spread.

Re: Here's my take on them

Nov 8, 2015, 11:01 PM

Thank you for that outstanding analysis. Look, I know it is not a done deal but UNC is most likely and it is probably in our best interest for UNC to be ranked in the Top 10 which they will be if they win out. I just got so mad at him for giving that game away to the Coots.

I also wonder if Duke was just devastated from having a win taken away from them at Miami? I realize they controlled their own destiny going into the game against UNC but I wonder if the coach of Duke didn't do a good job getting the team focused enough on UNC because there were receivers running open past the safeties and no one behind the receivers. It looked like a team that had not even looked at the game film.

I graduated from Clemson in 92 but I have been living in the Triad since 99 and like this area a great deal. I miss not being able to go to many games at Death Valley but with my own kids playing sports, I could not make it to many games anyways. We always go to the Wake Games here and go to Death Valley usually twice a year. And of course we go to Charlotte for the Championship games.

I will keep my eye on UNC from now on as I want to see what I can find. Just imagine how big of game the ACC championship could have been if UNC was undefeated.

Dean

I watched them crap the bed against SCAR ...

Nov 9, 2015, 1:58 AM

... after that, I had enough.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I watched them crap the bed against SCAR ...

Nov 9, 2015, 2:56 AM

I've been to one UNC game and am going to their game this weekend vs Miami. The defense isn't really all that improved. They gave up about 500 yards and over 30 points to Duke who has struggled mightily to score or move the ball on anyone they play this year. I don't know how Duke moved the ball as I wasn't able to watch the game but I watch most of their games. The run defense is very suspect. It's mainly due to not yet having the needed athletes on that side of the ball. The coaching and scheme is obviously improved but Fedora needs to keep winning to get the recruits he needs for him to have a legit contender. His offense will always be able to do it. Still have a weakish offensive line and poor talent on defense. Chizik was a great hire for them and if the talent arrives on that side of the ball they'll be the force we need out of the Atlantic to help out the conference.

Re: I watched them crap the bed against SCAR ...

Nov 9, 2015, 3:43 AM

"They gave up about 500 yards and over 30 points to Duke who has struggled mightily to score or move the ball on anyone they play this year."

Although their defense isn't great or anything, but they average 32.4 points per game and their total offense is 3rd in the ACC behind only North Carolina and Clemson. So, not sure if "struggled mightily" are the right words to describe their offense. That's unless you say that most ACC teams all struggle on offense this year. (Well, that might not be wrong.)

the one game I actually pulled for them...***

Nov 9, 2015, 5:01 AM [ in reply to I watched them crap the bed against SCAR ... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have watched many of their games this year. They are a much improved

Nov 9, 2015, 3:01 AM

Team than the one that played SC. They throw the ball pretty well and can hang points on inferior competition. Their D has improved too.

If we take them for granted they could sneak up on us. If they played SC now the Heels would probably win by 2 or 3 TD

Saying that so far Dabo has done a great job preparing the Tigers 1 game at a time. We are a much better team and have beaten higher
caliber teams.

If Tigers remain focused each week I see no reason Clemson could not become 2015 NC's. I think for the first time Clemson has a chance to repeat as NC's in 2016 too with the new talent coming in and a much more experienced team from this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2015, 5:59 AM

#3 could be a problem for us on special teams. Didn't he burn us on a punt or kick off return 2 years ago?

I have a nephew who is a UNCheat alum....

Nov 9, 2015, 7:42 AM

Fedora has improved the team each year and this year is no exception, particularly on defense with the hiring of Gene Chizik.

That said, UNC will be at least a two TD underdog to the Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

They live on Williams. If he is hot they are capable

Nov 9, 2015, 8:02 AM

Of throwing up big numbers. He was off vs SCar and threw too many picks.

They are miss using Hood. Wonder if he is second guessing his choice now. Think he would be getting more touches at Clemson.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

seen all but one

Nov 9, 2015, 8:25 AM

in a nutshell:

quality offense - the skill positions are good and they have some speed. if Willaims(QB) is on and makes good decisions they can score and score quickly. #2 in the NCAA in yards for play as of this week

average defense - not bad against the pass, but mediocre against the run

good field goal kicker... lousy punter(s).. pretty good returners - Switzer (#3) being the big threat

i think a Tiger-TarHeel match-up would play out much like last year - potentially a lot of points but an easy Clemson win

yards per play...

Nov 9, 2015, 8:27 AM

not for play

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/yards-per-play

Re: But Defense wins championships

Nov 9, 2015, 10:03 AM

They are very impressive with the yards per play. However, we played BC who had the Number 1 defense, and then NC State who had the #3 defense and both those schools look like those numbers were padded against inferior opponents.

I truly believe BV is the best DC in the nation, There have been a lot of changes made in college football but what thing that has been pretty consistent -- Defense wins championship.

Yes you need a good QB and skill players too and the more I looked at the stats for UNC, the less impressed I am overall. Yes they have a good offense but I think our D would hold them to 17 or less and I see no way our Offense doesn't score 40 or more on them as of now.

I know UNC is not a given and I will be real interested in seeing what happens with them against NC State.

It sounds like Fedora is having problems getting the players he needs especially on the defensive side of the ball after reading a few articles and taking a look at stats and recaps from their games this year.

I am going to concentrate on Syracuse right now. I know we put up 60 something last time in Carrier Air Conditionless Dome 2 years ago but Syracuse has played everyone tough at home even if they are on a losing streak Unfortunately, we need to win big in order to keep our Spot each week.

I am not counting on UNC being a Top 10 teams and marking them as our opponent in the Championship game just yet. It would help our cause to at least play a Top 25 team in the ACC CG though.

Dean

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,106
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic